[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]

Login:
Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
  • Page 10 of 10
  • «
Forum moderator: I_Guy, s0dr2, El_Matador  
Forum » Knowledge » Philosophy/Science » Purpose For Existence?
Purpose For Existence?
Greeny Date: Sunday, 28/Aug/11, 5:57 PM | Message # 136

OGs
Quote (eboyd)
this is true that evolution isn't a theory on how life started but the logical conclusion is not that "life has always existed".

Not at all what I tried to argue. <_<
Quote (eboyd)
that is why to this same statement from NtG earlier i posted a link to talkorigins.org. it is an FAQ on a theory called "abiogenesis". abiogenesis is the prevailing theory on how life came from non-living entities. it has to do with RNA forming from a combination of amino acids, and eventually forming the first single-celled organisms.

lawl, why are you telling me this? ^_^
I was just working from another angle. I didn't think it was necessary to get all scientific...

Added (28/Aug/11, 5:57 PM)
---------------------------------------------
Chance is a part of life coming to be, right? Conditions need to be good and whatnot. Chance is a big part of getting cancer as well.. It's quite random, all we can do to try and prevent is lessening the chances, but sooner or later, if not dead of other reasons, or somehow stopped our cells from multiplying, we'll get it. The chances of a mutation happening per replication is diminishably small, but given many parallels and a long time factor, it happens.
Arguing that life was unlikely to occur is pointless anyway.

:)
Lord_Meth Date: Sunday, 28/Aug/11, 10:40 PM | Message # 137

Heads
I have no clue what Greeny is talking about.

Sick With It
Bape Date: Monday, 29/Aug/11, 11:50 PM | Message # 138

Emcees
Quote (Lord_Meth)
I have no clue what Greeny is talking about.

Greeny Date: Tuesday, 30/Aug/11, 0:34 AM | Message # 139

OGs
Yeah, might've went on a side track...

Adam Date: Tuesday, 30/Aug/11, 6:21 AM | Message # 140

B-Girls
Quote (Bape)
Quote (Lord_Meth)I have no clue what Greeny is talking about.

I JUST EXPLODED INTO RAINBOWS AND LOLLIPOPS!
eboyd Date: Tuesday, 30/Aug/11, 12:24 PM | Message # 141

Heads
no, i get what he is talking about. he's making a parallel between cancer and evolution/abiogenesis. a lot of people say that none of this could've randomly come about (referring to the random mutation aspect of evolution), but what he is saying is that when you factor in the unimaginable length of time that life has had on earth to come about and evolve (most estimates are at around 4 billion years), then it isn't so impossible that it happened in such a way without divine intervention. the mistake people make when they think of random mutation is that they believe scientists are suggesting a random mutation occurs in one fell swoop. they think scientists suggest that evolution occurs from point A to point F in one progression. this is not the case. we remain at point A, actually, for quite some time, then move on to B and sometimes even come back to A before fully moving on again. for example, a mutation that my mother and i have is that two of our toes on each foot are slightly webbed, mine more so than my mother's. no one in her family prior to her has it, and additionally, my sister doesn't have it. so basically, it is a mutational trait that has carried from my mother to me, that is more pronounced on my body than hers, and that has been deleted on my sister, who has both of the same parents as i do. in addition, many other people in the world have this mutation, some to a further degree than i do. there is a possibility, then, that as time goes by, all of humanity may evolve someday to have webbed feet. either that or it may just continue to randomly occur in our anatomy and just as quickly, delete itself. that is the basis of random mutation in the evolutionary process.

Quote (Greeny)
lawl, why are you telling me this? ^_^
I was just working from another angle. I didn't think it was necessary to get all scientific...

it's an entirely scientific subject. how can i discuss it without getting "all scientific"?? i posted a link that discussed abiogenesis. i'm just making sure no one is confusing evolution with abiogenesis as they are very different.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Lord_Meth Date: Tuesday, 30/Aug/11, 8:07 PM | Message # 142

Heads
Lol Erik has webbed feet.

Sick With It
Adam Date: Tuesday, 30/Aug/11, 8:58 PM | Message # 143

B-Girls
Quote (eboyd)
a mutation that my mother and i have is that two of our toes on each foot are slightly webbed, mine more so than my mother's.

DISGRACE OF GOD'S CREATION REPENT YOURSELF NOW YOU EVIL SERPENT!

I JUST EXPLODED INTO RAINBOWS AND LOLLIPOPS!
Greeny Date: Wednesday, 31/Aug/11, 4:00 AM | Message # 144

OGs
Quote (eboyd)
it's an entirely scientific subject. how can i discuss it without getting "all scientific"?? i posted a link that discussed abiogenesis. i'm just making sure no one is confusing evolution with abiogenesis as they are very different.

The way I did, for example. Not proven very effective. lol.

And yes, from A to F and alladat... Every little mutation that is an advantage stays in the blood lane. Over time in hard circumstances... The ones that are to disadvantage will eventually become extinct. For example, if shoes go out of fashion in the future, and stairs will randomly start shaking automatically, then your offspring with their poor, deformed, misshapen feet will all fall down and break their necks, leaving this world free of all strange toes.

eboyd Date: Thursday, 01/Sep/11, 2:01 AM | Message # 145

Heads
lolololol rofl

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Forum » Knowledge » Philosophy/Science » Purpose For Existence?
  • Page 10 of 10
  • «
Search: