[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]

Login:
Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
Forum moderator: I_Guy, s0dr2, El_Matador  
Forum » Knowledge » Philosophy/Science » Purpose For Existence?
Purpose For Existence?
ilikebacon3000 Date: Thursday, 13/Aug/09, 6:36 PM | Message # 16

Emcees
everyone has AIDS.

Life's a bitch and I'm just along for the ride.
Menace Date: Thursday, 13/Aug/09, 6:45 PM | Message # 17

Heads
Quote (EmSeeD)
idk if its possible though, to do that we would have to live in a world without corruption or almost any "sin"

what causes corruption and sin ?? many people talk about evil being part of human "nature" but humans are not predisposed to sin people are not inherently "evil" as so many presume if we look in our human history the civilizations that were in tandem whit nature were the most peaceful human nature is the product of our environment it's not something natural and we don't need a perfect society we just need to coexist whit nature so we can reach our full potential and to survive as an entire race if we think about it the survival of our entire race actually depends on this and the first steps to this is to abolish the concept of State and collectivize the means of production because in doing that we eliminate two ills capitalism's exploitative way and the States hierarchical dominant nature by the way Emseed did you saw one of my friends documentaries called The Evilness Of Power ??

eboyd Date: Thursday, 13/Aug/09, 11:26 PM | Message # 18

Heads
Your friend made The Evilness of Power???!?!?! Damn! That was a good doc!

Anyways, Menace, in order to sustain life we must have a purpose to do so or we are living like plants. Even a dog has a purpose to take an action of free will. A dog is hungry so he eats. What was his purpose for doing so? He WANTS ( <<< key word) to subside his hunger and to survive. That is a purpose. Taking a free will action with a clear reason to do so, whether it is in the natural order or not, is to take that action with purpose. Therefore, existence, on a small scale, has a purpose when speaking only of objects that have the special ability of free will.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

EmSeeD Date: Friday, 14/Aug/09, 0:38 AM | Message # 19

Heads
there's always going to be people that want to take advantage or do evil things,

and yeah most of us need a purpose to live, even if its just a small purpose, i don't mean like some kind of divine purpose or anything.

http://chirbit.com/emseed
http://youtube.com/siwooot
Menace Date: Friday, 14/Aug/09, 12:02 PM | Message # 20

Heads
Quote (eboyd)
Your friend made The Evilness of Power???!?!?! Damn! That was a good doc!

yes he's making another one he almost finished i will post it when it's done it's about Thomas Ferguson's book called Golden Rule: The Investment Theory of Party Competition and the Logic of Money-Driven Politics

Quote (eboyd)
Anyways, Menace, in order to sustain life we must have a purpose to do so or we are living like plants. Even a dog has a purpose to take an action of free will. A dog is hungry so he eats. What was his purpose for doing so? He WANTS ( <<< key word) to subside his hunger and to survive. That is a purpose. Taking a free will action with a clear reason to do so, whether it is in the natural order or not, is to take that action with purpose. Therefore, existence, on a small scale, has a purpose when speaking only of objects that have the special ability of free will.

that's not a purpose it's part of the natural order in the animal kingdom everything sustains itself whit out informal synthetic purposes it's their animal instinct to survive is not a purpose they act on their natural impulses they are not conscious beings to understand why they eat they eat because that's in their natural impulse to eat to sleep and such we humans are the only ones that understand why we do that they don't people confuse purpose whit natural machinery i am not saying we as individual conscious beings don't create purposes I'm saying purpose is a synthetic creation

Quote (EmSeeD)
there's always going to be people that want to take advantage or do evil things,

"Individuals are certainly capable of evil . . . But individuals are capable of all sorts of things. Human nature has lots of ways of realizing itself, humans have lots of capacities and options. Which ones reveal themselves depends to a large extent on the institutional structures. If we had institutions which permitted pathological killers free rein, they'd be running the place. The only way to survive would be to let those elements of your nature manifest themselves.

"If we have institutions which make greed the sole property of human beings and encourage pure greed at the expense of other human emotions and commitments, we're going to have a society based on greed, with all that follows. A different society might be organized in such a way that human feelings and emotions of other sorts, say, solidarity, support, sympathy become dominant. Then you'll have different aspects of human nature and personality revealing themselves." - quote from professor Noam Chomsky

eboyd Date: Friday, 14/Aug/09, 12:24 PM | Message # 21

Heads
Purpose -

Quote (The Dictionary)
1. the reason for which something exists or is done, made, used, etc.

^^^ words straight from the dictionary. I am not making this shit up. If that isn't enough, check #2:

Quote (The Dictionary)
2. an intended or desired result; end; aim; goal.

Even if you are a dog and you do not get the concept of the term "goal" or even have an idea of what a goal is, your stomach grumbles and you see something that looks edible so you eat it. This means that, whether conscious or unconscious, you had a goal to sate your urge of hunger and you did so by eating. That goal, AS STATED IN THE VERY DEFINITION, is also a PURPOSE.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Menace Date: Friday, 14/Aug/09, 1:34 PM | Message # 22

Heads
dictionary definitions are not philosophically sophisticated dictionaries are not sophisticated they give a plain response the rest you need to research your contradicting yourself because your making this purpose a universal law as i said whit our whit out conscious beings matter follows her infinite course it does not matter if purpose even exists even on individual level because matter still flows whit or whit out it purpose don't drives us matter drives us even if we did or didn't have purposes matter would still drive us so stop making this a universal law you twisted this whole question when he said there is such a thing as a purpose for existence i thought to be the famous philosophic question because he didn't say if there is purpose for our existence he said for existence so i thought existence as a whole and i gave the suited answer

eboyd Date: Friday, 14/Aug/09, 5:01 PM | Message # 23

Heads
Question: is there a such thing as purpose for existence?

Answer: we exist and for us to exist in the state that we do we need purpose, therefore, yes, there is a such thing as purpose for existence.

It is quite simple really. If 8 were to have elaborated and said "is there a such thing as purpose for all of existence?" this would be a totally different discussion and I would have automatically agreed with you.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Menace Date: Friday, 14/Aug/09, 5:04 PM | Message # 24

Heads
ha ha I WIN :D

eboyd Date: Friday, 14/Aug/09, 5:33 PM | Message # 25

Heads
huh how?

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Menace Date: Friday, 14/Aug/09, 5:38 PM | Message # 26

Heads
because i got affirmative action BIATCH , GEAH !! :D rofl

eboyd Date: Friday, 14/Aug/09, 7:43 PM | Message # 27

Heads
You're living in the past Menace :D fuck your affirmative action ;) the people will tell you. I win :)

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

ilikebacon3000 Date: Friday, 14/Aug/09, 9:50 PM | Message # 28

Emcees
There is no purpose besides AIDS.

I_Guy Date: Friday, 14/Aug/09, 10:57 PM | Message # 29

Heads
Purpose exists on a subjective level. Objectively of course we have no purpose. The closest objective purpose is for us to disperse energy back into the cosmos. But to suggest that there is purpose is to suggest that there is intention. We all should know that no existence is intended.

Quote (eboyd)
Now, were we put here for a reason? No. Even if you believe in God an answer like "to go to heaven afterwards" is stupid and lame. We were born into this world by chance and from that moment on we make of our world and our life as we choose.

You Existentialist.

Quote (Menace)
what causes corruption and sin ?? many people talk about evil being part of human "nature" but humans are not predisposed to sin people are not inherently "evil" as so many presume if we look in our human history the civilizations that were in tandem whit nature were the most peaceful human nature is the product of our environment it's not something natural

Indeed their was a whole movement in the literary world about this. The dark romantics explored the concepts of the "noble savage" and the "beast within" almost philosophically. It's the "nature vs. nurture" idea. And it is pretty much concluded that the environment determines the mentality of the inhabitant, so it is "nurture." (Now of course there can be errors in the biology of the being inhibiting them from functioning properly under the influence of the environment but of course that is an exception.) Moreover, to a degree it is "nature" at times rather than "nurture" but this only applies to our instinctive mechanisms such as how we react under fear or any other emotion. But these things have nothing to do with how a mentality develops in a mind. The natural emotions are intact separate no matter what. They are only applied to a persons mentality while or after it has developed under the environment’s influence. But furthermore if you think about it, "nature and nurture" actually go hand in hand if you trace it all the way back. Since day one the environment's treatment ("nurture") of life has forced it into being a protective, defensive, fearful, emotional being striving to survive. This has gone on so long that elements of it have become instinct and therefore apart of our internal nature. Through evolution, long-term environmental "nurture" has created permanent inborn animal "nature". This is where the confusion comes from. It is actually a complex combination of both the "nature vs. nurture" concept.

A good example is a simple pet. We call it domestication but much of how a being behaves is due to mostly "nurture" (with many dormant traits in its "nature"). You can raise a lion cub in captivity and it will be a warm affectionate creature (unless it is trained to be vicious which proves the point further). But we all know that it still has it's emotional and biological instincts, as do we. The point is, humans are basically tamed animals and it is the environment that influences our mentality which influences our behavior. Now if our environment is corrupt then our mind will be as well (just as a trained fight dog would be).

Quote (Menace)
Individuals are certainly capable of evil . . . But individuals are capable of all sorts of things. Human nature has lots of ways of realizing itself, humans have lots of capacities and options. Which ones reveal themselves depends to a large extent on the institutional structures. If we had institutions which permitted pathological killers free rein, they'd be running the place. The only way to survive would be to let those elements of your nature manifest themselves.

Very true. Humans are one of the few (if not the only) creature(s) to contemplate options. To do this we make decisions that can either be interpreted or judged as evil. Usually, the more thoroughly educated a mind is the less likely it is to do evil. And yes Menace I agree with your ideal society and your ideal human mentality. The problem man faces is transcending his animal and overcoming ego and other humanly/emotional aspects of our mind. But this is all mentally exhausting and a lot of people don't want to go there. Why? I may never know.

^^^These ideas start getting into Friedrich Nietzsche's "Ubermensch."

We all know that each of our end is near; the question is do we accept the end of our living existence, or do we accept our existence as dead men...
ilikebacon3000 Date: Friday, 14/Aug/09, 11:36 PM | Message # 30

Emcees
Quote (I_Guy)
But we all know that it still has it's emotional and biological instincts, as do we. The point is, humans are basically tamed animals and it is the environment that influences our mentality which influences our behavior. Now if our environment is corrupt then our mind will be as well (just as a trained fight dog would be).

EXACTLY!
Just yesterday I was thinking if you raised a person until they were about 15 in a controlled enviroment, almost like a lab, and told them about the idea of a god, what would they do?
What would they do when relesed to society?

Forum » Knowledge » Philosophy/Science » Purpose For Existence?
Search: