[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]

Login:
Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
Forum moderator: I_Guy, s0dr2, El_Matador  
Forum » Knowledge » Philosophy/Science » Purpose For Existence?
Purpose For Existence?
8Diagrams Date: Wednesday, 12/Aug/09, 2:09 PM | Message # 1

Emcees
I don't believe in being put here for a reason, personally.

"Everything needs work, but you can't work on everything." - Anonymous
Menace Date: Wednesday, 12/Aug/09, 2:12 PM | Message # 2

Heads
no there is not any person who studies the history of life knows that we had billions of species that are now extinct we had passed civilzations that now are gone do you people think there was a purpose ?? they are all gone time has no purpose time takes you whit her and leaves just what remains of you

eboyd Date: Wednesday, 12/Aug/09, 3:14 PM | Message # 3

Heads
The title question and your first comment are virtually non-sequiturs. That's like making the title "Do you eat breakfast" and the first comment is "I like toast". Yeah, if we assume it sort of follows, but for someone completely ignorant of Western breakfast foods they will look at you like "what does that have to do with anything?!"

To answer the initial question, yes, there is purpose in existence, but only on an individual scale: there is a purpose to each individual life. The purpose in your life can be found in the very essence of your life itself. The purpose of life is to do with your life as you like. You want to be a millionaire? Then your purpose is to be a millionaire. You want to be a mass murderer? Then your purpose is to be a mass murderer. It is that simple.

Now, were we put here for a reason? No. Even if you believe in God an answer like "to go to heaven afterwards" is stupid and lame. We were born into this world by chance and from that moment on we make of our world and our life as we choose.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Menace Date: Wednesday, 12/Aug/09, 3:34 PM | Message # 4

Heads
Quote (eboyd)
The title question and your first comment are virtually non-sequiturs. That's like making the title "Do you eat breakfast" and the first comment is "I like toast". Yeah, if we assume it sort of follows, but for someone completely ignorant of Western breakfast foods they will look at you like "what does that have to do with anything?!"

To answer the initial question, yes, there is purpose in existence, but only on an individual scale: there is a purpose to each individual life. The purpose in your life can be found in the very essence of your life itself. The purpose of life is to do with your life as you like. You want to be a millionaire? Then your purpose is to be a millionaire. You want to be a mass murderer? Then your purpose is to be a mass murderer. It is that simple.

Now, were we put here for a reason? No. Even if you believe in God an answer like "to go to heaven afterwards" is stupid and lame. We were born into this world by chance and from that moment on we make of our world and our life as we choose.

bah come on college boy LOL :D he did ask if there is a purpose to existence philosophers asked the same question and trough "existence" they meant the whole existence everything that exists so the question is not that out of subject is there a purpose to existence ?? no there isn't end of the deal maybe your purpose here is to entertain young boys if you know what i mean but that's another subject :D

eboyd Date: Wednesday, 12/Aug/09, 4:03 PM | Message # 5

Heads
Ok genius, then riddle me this: what is purpose? If there is no purpose to existence then why does the concept of purpose exist? I'm not implying that there is an objective purpose, but purpose exists because life exists and not the other way around. Since life exists, us animals who have a special free will ability that inanimate objects and many other types of cellular organisms do not have create a purpose for our own freedom. We create our own reason -- or purpose -- to exist. Otherwise we would voluntarily cease to exist or find ourselves in a position where existence would be pointless and strive on for no reason. Purpose is what drives those with free will toward their goals.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Menace Date: Wednesday, 12/Aug/09, 6:04 PM | Message # 6

Heads
Quote (eboyd)
Ok genius, then riddle me this: what is purpose? If there is no purpose to existence then why does the concept of purpose exist? I'm not implying that there is an objective purpose, but purpose exists because life exists and not the other way around. Since life exists, us animals who have a special free will ability that inanimate objects and many other types of cellular organisms do not have create a purpose for our own freedom. We create our own reason -- or purpose -- to exist. Otherwise we would voluntarily cease to exist or find ourselves in a position where existence would be pointless and strive on for no reason. Purpose is what drives those with free will toward their goals.

in the vacuum of time and space we are nothing but a second a glimpse of light and nothing else as you said purpose exist cause we exist so we label stuff we give meaning to stuff we give purpose we created it to us is but to the rest of known existence it isn't so for existence there is no purpose because purpose is a synthetic idea created by us so you can't apply this as a universal law i never said it isn't for us but you make it as a universal law your argument is like a religious mans argument like if God does not exist why does the concept of it exists well it does because of us we created it to sustain us is synthetic both purpose and God are synthetic creations of ours these synthetic ideas don't apply to anyone but us we work on it not the whole existence the whole existence works whit out no purpose expands and expands it creates and destroys and so on it has no purpose

Boner-Jamz-11 Date: Wednesday, 12/Aug/09, 6:28 PM | Message # 7

Rappers

#TeamHipster
#SWAGSWAG

TUMBLR CLICK CLICK CLICK!
Adam Date: Wednesday, 12/Aug/09, 8:53 PM | Message # 8

B-Girls
Menace is on point. The real intent of this question isn't about life goals, not that sort of purpose. But just existence at all.

I JUST EXPLODED INTO RAINBOWS AND LOLLIPOPS!
eboyd Date: Wednesday, 12/Aug/09, 10:51 PM | Message # 9

Heads
Menace, you are correct, but the question was "is there a such thing as purpose for existence?" If we were speaking for the whole of existence the question would have specified that. Since it does not we can and must break it down. Yes, it is true that for existence that is inanimate (energy, non-living matter and certain types of organisms) there is no purpose, but for that which has the special ability of free will (a VERY select few), purpose does exist for it must exist to continue exercising it's ability of free will.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

EmSeeD Date: Wednesday, 12/Aug/09, 10:56 PM | Message # 10

Heads
its an interesting question, coz we humans are the only creatures that actually wonder what our purpose in life is, no other animals do it, its like the story in genesis where the apple made adam and eve realize they were naked, we're the only creatures that question our existence.

we're the only creatures that want to dominate our world, to take nature and put our big buildings all over it. are we the most evil creatures on earth?

http://chirbit.com/emseed
http://youtube.com/siwooot
ilikebacon3000 Date: Wednesday, 12/Aug/09, 11:57 PM | Message # 11

Emcees
Quote (EmSeeD)
its an interesting question, coz we humans are the only creatures that actually wonder what our purpose in life is, no other animals do it,

we dont know that. We cant communicate with animals in terms of speech, ideas, etc. For all I know, my dog is like "Why the fuck am I here?"

Quote (EmSeeD)
we're the only creatures that want to dominate our world, to take nature and put our big buildings all over it. are we the most evil creatures on earth?

I believe that eventually humans will die out and another species will do the same. It isn't evil. It is simply rise and fall.

Life's a bitch and I'm just along for the ride.
Menace Date: Thursday, 13/Aug/09, 12:39 PM | Message # 12

Heads
Quote (ilikebacon3000)
we dont know that. We cant communicate with animals in terms of speech, ideas, etc. For all I know, my dog is like "Why the fuck am I here?"

no animals can't do that science proved that animals don't follow nothing but natural laws that's why they are in tandem whit nature because their actually part of it not like us we evolved in such way we disconnected from nature and i don't mean we must go back and live like hunter gatherers i mean we created hierarchies we created forms of social organization that have nothing to do whit the natural order that's why we cause so much harm to the environment

Quote (ilikebacon3000)
I believe that eventually humans will die out and another species will do the same. It isn't evil. It is simply rise and fall.

well no nature doesn't work as that the animal kingdom works on mutual aid and reciprocity look at the animal kingdom hell look at the whole natural environment everything depends on one another it is that natural harmony we humans need to compromise our intellect whit that if we succeed in unifying our intellectual potential whit the natural order hell it will be the next step on our evolution but first we need to stop using our intelligence against nature but use it for nature because don't fall for that bullshit that modern man and nature can't coexist oh we can and if we succeed our potential will be limitless

Quote (eboyd)
Menace, you are correct, but the question was "is there a such thing as purpose for existence?" If we were speaking for the whole of existence the question would have specified that. Since it does not we can and must break it down. Yes, it is true that for existence that is inanimate (energy, non-living matter and certain types of organisms) there is no purpose, but for that which has the special ability of free will (a VERY select few), purpose does exist for it must exist to continue exercising it's ability of free will.

yes that's true but when people ask of existence the obvious thing comes to mind EXISTENCE as in the whole plus let me riddle you and continue this because i like this topic LOL :D as a materialist i believe the only thing that exists is matter. Fundamentally, all things are composed of material and all phenomena (including consciousness) are the result of material interactions; therefore, matter is the only substance. From little we know matter has no purpose matter expands to infinity and creates and destroys so even tough we created synthetic purposes ultimately we have no purpose either because we all are matter and in the grand scheme we ultimately have no purpose :D jackoff

eboyd Date: Thursday, 13/Aug/09, 1:34 PM | Message # 13

Heads
Absolutely agree, but the mistake that quantuum physicists make, for example, is that they try to look at everything on the same level. That is why they try to say that if a basketball bounces while no one is watching it can be in an infinite amount of places until our conscious mind focuses on it and decides where it wants it to be. That only works on the subatomic level with electrons. On a larger scale that is false. We need to keep that reality when looking at this. Yes, on a grand level there is no purpose, but on an individual level it varies. Conscious beings do have purpose.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Menace Date: Thursday, 13/Aug/09, 1:52 PM | Message # 14

Heads
Quote (eboyd)
Conscious beings do have purpose.

OK let me challenge you more :D jackoff stylin crap you will never make an anarchist admit to you that conscious beings have a purpose NEVER :D because purpose alongside whit God , the State are synthetic ideas that have nothing to do whit the natural order they are not found in the natural order anarchists consider the natural order as the only thing that drives life eyar2 eyar2

EmSeeD Date: Thursday, 13/Aug/09, 5:48 PM | Message # 15

Heads
Quote (Menace)
i don't mean we must go back and live like hunter gatherers i mean we created hierarchies we created forms of social organization that have nothing to do whit the natural order that's why we cause so much harm to the environment

Quote (Menace)
we humans need to compromise our intellect whit that if we succeed in unifying our intellectual potential whit the natural order hell it will be the next step on our evolution but first we need to stop using our intelligence against nature but use it for nature because don't fall for that bullshit that modern man and nature can't coexist oh we can and if we succeed our potential will be limitless

idk if its possible though, to do that we would have to live in a world without corruption or almost any "sin"

http://chirbit.com/emseed
http://youtube.com/siwooot
Forum » Knowledge » Philosophy/Science » Purpose For Existence?
Search: