Login:
Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
Forum moderator: I_Guy, s0dr2, El_Matador  
Forum » Knowledge » Philosophy/Science » Vegetarianism
Vegetarianism
I_Guy Date: Wednesday, 16/Sep/09, 5:00 PM | Message # 31

Heads
There's a misconception as to what is "healthier." It is likely true that they are equally as healthy when referring to vitamins, minerals, etc., but what isn't mentioned is never considered in flawed studies that don't address what "shouldn't be there." They don't consider the pesticides and fungicides and chemical fertilizers. These flawed studies only compare nutrients. They never compare what shouldn't be there. There hasn't been enough analysis to conclude how dangerous the additional chemicals are.

So basically when you eat an organic apple and an inorganic apple you will get virtually the same nutrients. But what you won't get with the organic apple is chemicals, plain and simple.

We have to consider where we "hear" these things from. I hear bullshit all the time. It's important to do your research.

We all know that each of our end is near; the question is do we accept the end of our living existence, or do we accept our existence as dead men...
ill Date: Wednesday, 16/Sep/09, 5:11 PM | Message # 32

Emcees
lol no but its a funny thing to say

The World Is Yours
I_Guy Date: Wednesday, 16/Sep/09, 11:13 PM | Message # 33

Heads
Just watch the documentary "Food Inc."

Quote (Joker13)
you pay money not to get chemicals.. that's the whole fucking point and even if it had that little bit of pesticides in it it still wouldn't matter considering the fact the pesticides has changed so much and is way more safer and addin the fact that we have an immune system which could take that little bit of pesticides left so either way you go if you wanna feel nice then go for organic but organic foods take twice as much space then non organic and is a fucking waste

I love how you think you can trust the crooked ass companies to tell the truth. :D

We all know that each of our end is near; the question is do we accept the end of our living existence, or do we accept our existence as dead men...
EmSeeD Date: Thursday, 17/Sep/09, 1:23 AM | Message # 34

Heads
Quote (I_Guy)
I love how you think you can trust the crooked ass companies to tell the truth

maybe its the people selling "organic" food that are crooked, didn't you say they purposely raise the price?

http://chirbit.com/emseed
http://youtube.com/siwooot
EmSeeD Date: Thursday, 17/Sep/09, 1:29 AM | Message # 35

Heads
i say the best way is to grow your own,

i admire vegetarians, though i won't be one, i think its best to eat less meat at least. i also think there is nothing wrong with hunting or eating meat out of necessity, some people that live in 3rd world countries have to eat the animals they farm to survive. Besides what about other animals that eat other animals, i wouldn't tell a lion in the wild not to eat a zebra lol.

http://chirbit.com/emseed
http://youtube.com/siwooot
I_Guy Date: Thursday, 17/Sep/09, 5:38 AM | Message # 36

Heads
Quote (EmSeeD)
maybe its the people selling "organic" food that are crooked, didn't you say they purposely raise the price?

It is to the point where it is the crooked selling the organic. But we have to understand who the crooks are. It is a growing problem. In the past ten years the companies who sell inorganic food have been buying out the organic companies because they see there is a market for it and by doing so they can better regulate the industry and maximize their profits through monopoly.

You see organic food originally started out on small farms so they couldn't produce much through organic methods so that explains the high price. But when the corporations slide in and buy out the small companies, the corporations try to maintain the same image of "organic" production. Although the food is still authentic organic, the corporations have more money to grow on a wider scale, so they can produce more, and they do, but they keep the price high because, through time, that has been the norm. They can sell the organic food at a lower price, but of course they choose not to for profit. So the people to blame are the same corporations that are poisoning the food in the first place. There are a few independent companies out there who haven't been bought out, but they are decreasing.

Quote (EmSeeD)
Besides what about other animals that eat other animals, i wouldn't tell a lion in the wild not to eat a zebra lol.

The problem is when we can avoid the problem. Other animals can't avoid eating other animals, they must do it out of necessity. We don't have to. We have surpassed the necessity (keep in mind I'm speaking about primarily industrialized nations, not third world). The third world nations are more justified then first world nations. It's all about what is necessary and unnecessary, reasonable and unreasonable, essential and inessential. There is no reason for operating the way we do. Tradition, habit, and profit keeps it the way it is. "The way it is" is unnecessary, therefore unreasonable, and therefore inessential, so why should it continue. It's always about what makes the most sense, and the shit we're doing makes no sense.

Quote (EmSeeD)
i also think there is nothing wrong with hunting or eating meat out of necessity

This is something I majorly have a problem with. Sure, if you have to hunt, I mean if you are starving, then yes, go hunt. But in civilized industrial society, it is very seldom that people "MUST" hunt out of necessity. In America for example, most people hunt as a form of hobby. So basically taking life unnecessarily is their fucking hobby. I bet half of them claim to be Christians too, L O fucking L. Anyways, majority of people in America hunt for sport. In some cases it is true they eat the meat. Not because they can't afford to go to the local store and buy meat. They also sell the meat. However their are several underlying reasons that motivate "civilized" people to hunt. The reasons are not that easy to see, and the hunters very seldom realize it themselves. It's usually (through my observation) because their shallow simple egotistical minds want to feel "MANLY" with their big fat fucking gun in their hand and a pocket full of oh so deadly bullets. They want to exercise their primal inclination to kill. It's sort of a perversion of power, violence, and superiority to animals. If I went further we would get into psychology, but I'll stop here. Most of the people who hunt are usually members of the wacked out crazy ass gun obsessed NRA group or similar.

I mentioned some hunters sell the meat they hunt. Most people think, "so what, they're trying to make a living and make money, big deal." It is important to address this. If you really think about it, what gives us the right to destroy another animal and then profit off of them. What makes us think we can own animals? Or take them off of the earth so that we can cash in on their meat? It's fucking slavery. People need to realize that during the African slave trade, most slave owners viewed their slaves as animals, or at least primitive inferior beings. And in actuality they were primitive inferior beings, intellectually speaking. But that's no excuse now is it? My basic point is, life cannot be property. We have no right to "OWN" what the Earth has provided us. The Earth owns us, we do not own the Earth or its creatures. How the fuck can we own that which we are from? And that which we are among? Yet we do. It is clearly unjustified.

ilikebacon3000 Date: Thursday, 17/Sep/09, 7:36 AM | Message # 37

Emcees
Quote (I_Guy)
The problem is when we can avoid the problem. Other animals can't avoid eating other animals, they must do it out of necessity. We don't have to. We have surpassed the necessity (keep in mind I'm speaking about primarily industrialized nations, not third world). The third world nations are more justified then first world nations. It's all about what is necessary and unnecessary, reasonable and unreasonable, essential and inessential.

It's not hurting anyone except ourselves.
I don't care if the food is over-processed, or over-priced. I am still going to eat it sometimes. Just because some other people in another part of the world have it bad, doesen't mean I should give up what I do have out of pity for them.
Now that all sounded greedy. But it's not. It's not like I'm taking all the meat for myself, or eating it all the time. I just like having McDonalds or Burger King or Sonic sometimes: Big deal. It really has nothing to do with corporations and shit like that when it gets down to that basic of a level, at least I think. I simply like their food. Am I now considered an evil, greedy, typical white capatilist?

Life's a bitch and I'm just along for the ride.
eboyd Date: Thursday, 17/Sep/09, 9:20 AM | Message # 38

Heads
Quote (I_Guy)
It is to the point where it is the crooked selling the organic. But we have to understand who the crooks are. It is a growing problem. In the past ten years the companies who sell inorganic food have been buying out the organic companies because they see there is a market for it and by doing so they can better regulate the industry and maximize their profits through monopoly

You are a college student as well. I know you had to have taken Economics. I'm not defending them but let's be completely fair and get the terms right. It's not a monopoly, it is a monopolistic competition. The end result is not much different but we need to be accurate here.

Quote (I_Guy)
The problem is when we can avoid the problem. Other animals can't avoid eating other animals, they must do it out of necessity. We don't have to. We have surpassed the necessity (keep in mind I'm speaking about primarily industrialized nations, not third world). The third world nations are more justified then first world nations. It's all about what is necessary and unnecessary, reasonable and unreasonable, essential and inessential. There is no reason for operating the way we do. Tradition, habit, and profit keeps it the way it is. "The way it is" is unnecessary, therefore unreasonable, and therefore inessential, so why should it continue. It's always about what makes the most sense, and the shit we're doing makes no sense.

1. As an athlete, especially one who plays football at the NCAA division 2 level, I cannot afford not to eat meat. I would lose a tremendous amount of weight. I'm already small for my position (I weigh 225 lbs. I should be more like 245+). I will NEVER get there eating vegetables only. I need animal protein. And 2. though vegetarianism is somewhat healthier, veganism, due to it's strict plant product only policy, is very unhealthy. We've adapted as humans to eating meat over thousands of years and so we now will be healthier eating certain meats like fish and chicken. Yes, beef is bad for our bodies as we cannot process the meat in our system, and pork/ham are simply terrible, but there are healthy meats out there such as the aforementioned, buffalo meat, etc.

Quote (I_Guy)
In America for example, most people hunt as a form of hobby. So basically taking life unnecessarily is their fucking hobby. I bet half of them claim to be Christians too, L O fucking L. Anyways, majority of people in America hunt for sport. In some cases it is true they eat the meat. Not because they can't afford to go to the local store and buy meat. They also sell the meat. However their are several underlying reasons that motivate "civilized" people to hunt. The reasons are not that easy to see, and the hunters very seldom realize it themselves. It's usually (through my observation) because their shallow simple egotistical minds want to feel "MANLY" with their big fat fucking gun in their hand and a pocket full of oh so deadly bullets. They want to exercise their primal inclination to kill. It's sort of a perversion of power, violence, and superiority to animals. If I went further we would get into psychology, but I'll stop here. Most of the people who hunt are usually members of the wacked out crazy ass gun obsessed NRA group or similar

Compared to Michael Moore's mentally retarded self the NRA seems like a bunch of geniuses though and they support gun legalization. Meanwhile our country is finding more and more reasons to make guns of all sorts illegal, only forcing them on to the black market. Now I agree that certain types of ammunition and weapons need not be legalized (does your neighbor really need a rocket launcher?), but if a democrat (term used incorrectly, only describing their name for themselves which is misleading) had his/her say, they would find a way to interpret the second constitutional amendment as "THE MILITARY (and the military only) have a right to bear arms". The NRA actually supported the supreme court case that recently won that assured this interpretation of the second amendment did not occur and many laws in the US subsequently changed. Are these people republicans/neo-cons? For the most part, yes, and as a general rule of thumb you really can't trust a neo-con with political policy :D but that doesn't change the fact that regardless of whatever gun fetish Americans have, we have a right to own them and that is probably part of the reason we have a gun fetish. So many other countries have banned guns altogether and people subsequently cannot rise up in arms for revolution against their corrupt governments who have big ass guns to keep the people in their place.

Quote (I_Guy)
I mentioned some hunters sell the meat they hunt. Most people think, "so what, they're trying to make a living and make money, big deal." It is important to address this. If you really think about it, what gives us the right to destroy another animal and then profit off of them. What makes us think we can own animals? Or take them off of the earth so that we can cash in on their meat? It's fucking slavery. People need to realize that during the African slave trade, most slave owners viewed their slaves as animals, or at least primitive inferior beings. And in actuality they were primitive inferior beings, intellectually speaking. But that's no excuse now is it? My basic point is, life cannot be property. We have no right to "OWN" what the Earth has provided us. The Earth owns us, we do not own the Earth or its creatures. How the fuck can we own that which we are from? And that which we are among? Yet we do. It is clearly unjustified.

My best friend is an avid hunter (goes every 2 or 3 weeks) and he eats everything he kills except the coyotes but think about this: coyotes reproduce at an absurd rate and in result we now have millions living among us in our communities. Do you know what those coyotes live off of? Pets and even on occasion small children. He hunts them solely because we have very minimal programs and/or laws controlling the birth rate among coyotes.

Quote (ilikebacon3000)
I don't care if the food is over-processed, or over-priced. I am still going to eat it sometimes. Just because some other people in another part of the world have it bad, doesen't mean I should give up what I do have out of pity for them. Now that all sounded greedy. But it's not. It's not like I'm taking all the meat for myself, or eating it all the time. I just like having McDonalds or Burger King or Sonic sometimes: Big deal. It really has nothing to do with corporations and shit like that when it gets down to that basic of a level, at least I think. I simply like their food. Am I now considered an evil, greedy, typical white capatilist?

You are right. You have no need to stop eating McDonald's, etc. The bottom line is that many Americans, such as you and I, though we do not live in poverty we are close, so for us, what is the easiest way to eat on a daily basis money and convenience-wise? The answer is fast food. Anyone blaming you for that needs to shut the fuck up. However, if you can, I would say try to avoid feeding the machine, but in this society there is really nothing you can do. You need to eat.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

I_Guy Date: Thursday, 17/Sep/09, 12:46 PM | Message # 39

Heads
Quote (eboyd)
1. As an athlete, especially one who plays football at the NCAA division 2 level, I cannot afford not to eat meat.

To be honest, (no offense, but objectively speaking) we should reevaluate how necessary sports are, before we evaluate how necessary eating meat is. An analogy would be a fashion designer or a model claiming that they couldn't continue their career of fashion without fur. How necessary is fashion? These are human customs that are irrelevant to the sustainability of the earth and don't apply to the roots of nature.

Quote (eboyd)
You are right. You have no need to stop eating McDonald's, etc. The bottom line is that many Americans, such as you and I, though we do not live in poverty we are close, so for us, what is the easiest way to eat on a daily basis money and convenience-wise? The answer is fast food. Anyone blaming you for that needs to shut the fuck up. However, if you can, I would say try to avoid feeding the machine, but in this society there is really nothing you can do. You need to eat.

Social revolution and economic change will never come if people continue to think this way. We're fooling ourselves.

We all think there is nothing we can do. There's plenty we can do. We're dooped, just as the profiteers of corporations intend.

This kind of shit is like segregationists back in the day trying to justify why segregation is okay, because they don't want to face the unpreferred reality.

I_Guy Date: Thursday, 17/Sep/09, 1:13 PM | Message # 40

Heads

eboyd Date: Thursday, 17/Sep/09, 1:40 PM | Message # 41

Heads
Quote (I_Guy)
To be honest, (no offense, but objectively speaking) we should reevaluate how necessary sports are, before we evaluate how necessary eating meat is. An analogy would be a fashion designer or a model claiming that they couldn't continue their career of fashion without fur. How necessary is fashion? These are human customs that are irrelevant to the sustainability of the earth and don't apply to the roots of nature.

how necessary is film-making, the internet, computers, television, cars, hell, technology and entertainment in general? it all costs us in the long run. but imagine a world without leisure activity. a world without entertainment. sure, we can go outside and play "beat each other with the branch on the lawn" or "let's throw the poop the dog left in the dirt" but there are many benefits to organized sports. for example, exercise is one half of being healthy. if we ate vegetables it may be easier to maintain health with less exercise, but we still need more than our casual walk or jog. sports provides a fun and easy way to maintain health that no other activity does. it also helps teach discipline, attention to detail, among many other lessons that you cannot achieve as easily otherwise. we have been playing sports for thousands of years, organized sports for hundreds. if we got rid of sports, people like myself would have slipped through the cracks (the only reason i started caring about my grades was because i knew i needed a 2.0 to play football. now i'm a 3.5 student working on a Bachelor's in accounting and entrepreneurship, soon to be a Master's), many people who have little to no other skills or discipline to gain any would have become bums, etc.

Quote (I_Guy)
Social revolution and economic change will never come if people continue to think this way. We're fooling ourselves.

We all think there is nothing we can do. There's plenty we can do. We're dooped, just as the profiteers of corporations intend.

yes, you are right, but it will take a united effort to do something. one individual cannot stop eating at convenient places until everyone rises up and joins the fight. the farmers need to say no to allowing their food to go to places like McDonald's, the workers need to stop going to work there, and then the people can stop eating there.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

I_Guy Date: Thursday, 17/Sep/09, 2:12 PM | Message # 42

Heads
Quote (eboyd)
how necessary is film-making, the internet, computers, television, cars, hell, technology and entertainment in general?

Well it essentially depends. It depends on how it develops or exercises our intellectuality and cognizance. If it doesn't do so, then it isn't really necessary. All things that support our intellectual growth thereby become necessary (such as transportation, technology, etc.) Anything can be necessary if it contributes to our growth. If it doesn't then we are just wasting time.

Now I understand your point. It is here where sports has become a tool for you to develop your intellectual growth. It has helped you go to college. So it becomes necessary for you. Sure their may have been other ways, but this is how it has ended up. Unfortunately our society isn't properly arranged to promote maximum intellectual growth, otherwise it might not be possible for people to fall through the cracks. But as we know their are several factors that keep our society the way it is. People shouldn't have to rely on sports to get them to college, but nevertheless it is the case that sometimes they do. Is this the only solution? It shouldn't be. It is actually in itself an unnecessary solution, so I'm sure you see the problem here and how it effects the necessity of eating animals all the way down the line. Getting to college through sports shouldn't be necessary, so eating meat for sports wouldn't be necessary, therefore one of the justifications for eating animals is defeated.

It really comes down to people making the effective vital choices, such as simply deciding you want to learn (or seeing why putting in effort to learn is important by itself), and in result you get scholarships or whatever. Sports are really sort of a way out for some. The fact that they have to resort to sports shouldn't be considered a legitimate alternative (due to the reasons I am arguing for, the eventual distant effect on animals and the environment, etc.) They should work hard in the first place (I see an argument of "interests" and "mental capabilities" coming). Now I know it can be unrealistic to request everyone to understand the big picture and work hard. But if they don't work hard, who is to blame? them or the system? Is it so wrong to expect excellence? Anyway it is important for everyone to acknowledge this whole picture and all of our mistakes, so that maybe we will think twice about our actions and decisions when it comes to doing what is necessary, and also so that we feel shitty about ourselves :D instead of putting human beings on an undeserved and oversized pedestal all the time. It would simply make us more humble.

Quote (eboyd)
yes, you are right, but it will take a united effort to do something. one individual cannot stop eating at convenient places until everyone rises up and joins the fight.

The united effort becomes actualized when every person acts individually. Imagine in a football game you are the safety. You are watching from the distance and the Q back decides to run for it. You watch him break through the line. You can't understand how he got through, but you begin to realize that it is because every player relied on the next guy to tackle him, therefore no one tried to tackle him. So he the Q-back is coming down field and you are the last defense. If only every player would have individually acted and disregarded his uncertainty as to what the other players would do, then that Q-back would have been tackled. But everyone stood back thinking that someone else would make it happen. We can't rely on the expectation of a unified effort, because it is still up to each individual player to act independently regardless of what he knows the other player will do. Do you see my point?

eboyd Date: Thursday, 17/Sep/09, 4:03 PM | Message # 43

Heads
Quote (I_Guy)
Well it essentially depends. It depends on how it develops or exercises our intellectuality and cognizance. If it doesn't do so, then it isn't really necessary. All things that support our intellectual growth thereby become necessary (such as transportation, technology, etc.) Anything can be necessary if it contributes to our growth. If it doesn't then we are just wasting time. Now I understand your point. It is here where sports has become a tool for you to develop your intellectual growth. It has helped you go to college. So it becomes necessary for you. Sure their may have been other ways, but this is how it has ended up. Unfortunately our society isn't properly arranged to promote maximum intellectual growth, otherwise it might not be possible for people to fall through the cracks. But as we know their are several factors that keep our society the way it is. People shouldn't have to rely on sports to get them to college, but nevertheless it is the case that sometimes they do. Is this the only solution? It shouldn't be. It is actually in itself an unnecessary solution, so I'm sure you see the problem here and how it effects the necessity of eating animals all the way down the line. Getting to college through sports shouldn't be necessary, so eating meat for a sports wouldn't be necessary, therefore animals wouldn't be eaten. It really comes down to people making the effective vital choices, such as simply deciding you want to learn (or seeing why putting in effort to learn is important by itself), and in result you get scholarships or whatever. Sports are really sort of a way out for some. But people who don't do good in school shouldn't blame anyone else but themselves. The fact that they have to resort to sports shouldn't be considered a legitimate alternative (due to the reasons I am arguing for, the eventual distant effect on animals and the environment, etc.) They should work hard in the first place (I see an argument of "interests" and "mental incapabilities" coming). Now I know it can be an unrealistic to request everyone to understand the big picture and work hard. But if they don't work hard, who is to blame? them or the system? Anyway it is important for everyone to acknowledge this whole picture so that maybe they will think twice about their actions and decisions when it comes to doing what is necessary, and also so that we feel shitty about ourselves instead of putting human beings on an undeserved and oversized pedestal all the time. It would make us more humble.

1. Sports has an absolute and direct effect on "intellectual growth" in many ways. Let me provide some examples: In football you must learn hundreds of elaborate and distinctly (and even some not so distinctly) different plays. Most coaches teach you to break away from memorization and learn each play by it's concept so that you do not go out on the field and have to scan your memory bank for 5 seconds trying to remember the play. As you graduate to a new level of football (from JV to Varsity, Varsity to college, college to pro) you will be expected to learn even more, and more elaborate plays. This is an example of intellectual growth in several ways -- you are learning to break away from memorizational learning and moving on to conceptual learning which I cannot stress enough how practical that is, and you are learning how to think more quickly which, again, is VERY practical (just think of political debates). And that is just one miniscule aspect of one sport. 2. Yes, intellectual growth is very important, but since when is it the only goal to strive for in human well being and making this an ideal world. Let's think wellness for example. There are 6 identified aspects of wellness -- physical, spiritual (this doesn't mean religious), emotional, mental, intellectual and occupational. All of these are equally as important. The intellectual aspect is no more important than others and they are all intertwined in many ways.

Quote (I_Guy)
The united effort becomes actualized when every person acts individually. Imagine in a football game you are the safety. You are watching from the distance and the Q back decides to run for it. You watch him break through the line. You can't understand how he got through, but you begin to realize that it is because every player relied on the next guy to tackle him, therefore no one tried to tackle him. So he the Q-back is coming down field and you are the last defense. If only every player would have individually acted and disregarded his uncertainty as to what the other players would do, then that Q-back would have been tackled. But everyone stood back thinking that someone else would make it happen. We can't rely on the expectation of a unified effort, because it is still up to each individual player to act independently regardless of what he knows the other player will do. Do you see my point?

No, because that is a poor analogy. Certain individuals in society the way it is now, whether we like it or not, play more important roles than others and so if a consumer of food products stops eating, all that is going to happen is he is going to get sick due to malnutrition and when he ends up in the hospital he is going to incur a bill more than he can pay. For some people, if they do not eat at fast food restaurants they do not eat. Maybe this means they need to check some of the decisions they made in the past, but as for the present, there is nothing else they can do and they should not be expected to change their eating habits for any purposes because they will not survive otherwise. And yes, as someone with several learning disabilities myself, of course I'm going to bring that argument up, but since you already know the arguments I will not elaborate.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

I_Guy Date: Thursday, 17/Sep/09, 6:49 PM | Message # 44

Heads
Keep in mind, that I'm not talking directly to you eboyd, I'm basically talking to the foundation that I disagree with.

Quote (eboyd)
Sports has an absolute and direct effect on "intellectual growth" in many ways. Let me provide some examples: In football you must learn hundreds of elaborate and distinctly (and even some not so distinctly) different plays. Most coaches teach you to break away from memorization and learn each play by it's concept so that you do not go out on the field

I guess that is a point I must consider. I just see it as very time consuming, distracting, dangerous (new studies show that rigorous exercise is not actually good for the body), and not directly contributive to any sort of progress except personal. There is a very limited extent to which this "asset" can be applied to life. I imagine if someone studied for the same amount of time they spent practicing sports they would come out with much more to give to the world. I'm not trying to bash on sports. They do have somewhat of a role in society, but that doesn't actually make it necessary does it? There are plenty of things that we use and employ that are not actually necessary. Just use the easy example of the combustion engine. Sure, it serves a purpose, but a poor and obsolete one. There are better alternatives so therefore the combustion engine (despite its current purpose) is not necessary due to better alternatives.

Don't even let me get into the joke sports out there. Also, I have met plenty of dumb jocks to know that the more a person puts their face in a book the better off they'll be.

To explore another problem, there is too much "fun" involved with sports (speaking primarily about the people who spend time to watch sports on TV or go to games). Fun is the monster that takes this world off course and into the oblivion of wasted time. Can we as human beings in our current state really afford to waste time?

Keep in mind that I acknowledge the other distracters out there such as music, cinema, video games, etc. But they are only distracters if they are used unwisely.

Quote (eboyd)
No, because that is a poor analogy. Certain individuals in society the way it is now, whether we like it or not, play more important roles than others and so if a consumer of food products stops eating, all that is going to happen is he is going to get sick due to malnutrition and when he ends up in the hospital he is going to incur a bill more than he can pay.

To keep it on point, I was mainly talking about eating meat. So no, someone won't go to the hospital if they stop eating meat. My point was that if we have a responsibility to make something happen, we can't sit around and think other people will make it happen. Just like in the game, it was up to each individual as a part of the whole to make that tackle. If we let our pondering consider other people's ponderings, we will be discouraged, because we fear our action is in vain alone, or we feel someone else must make the first move. Take it from Gandhi, "We must be the change we wish to see."

We have a duty to the Earth and that is to take care of it, because if we don't we're gone. But we'd rather make excuses, as if they are truly justified.

eboyd Date: Thursday, 17/Sep/09, 7:45 PM | Message # 45

Heads
Fun is a monster? Fun is, in hard times, the only thing that keeps us from doing something irrational. Without fun there would be an epidemic of insanity and even suicide/suicide attempts. Occasional distractions (yes, I play football 7 days a week and do things that revolve around it 6+ hours a day so I realize you wouldn't call it an occasional distraction, but I have learned a lot of life lessons, specifically in the realms of hard work, personal psychology, breaking through personal limitations, perseverance, etc., through sports. I don't consider it a distraction for that reason) are a necessity for individuals in a society. Getting wound up in such distractions, however, (ie: being addicted to coming to a hip hop website every day and discussing different random things. I consider this more of a distraction than football but it still isn't because we discuss things like this frequently as well) is not productive for society. For example, when someone religiously watches TV at his friend's/parent's/sibling's house, has no job, bets on games, etc., that is not productive. I'll tell you what I don't agree with though. I don't agree with the ridiculously large wages paid to athletes, entertainers, and CEO's among other financial officers to do their job while people like teachers, police officers (who often resort to corruption because it is easy to get in to the academy and their pay is low so they need extra money and the ones who don't deserve to do it in the first place are allowed to), and blue collar/low-pay white collar workers make peanuts and their jobs are far more productive in a working society.

As for the second half of your argument, I was speaking of people who cannot afford being on a vegetarian diet. In our current society, as you know, because of capitalist greed accompanied by the expense of keeping organic foods fresh due to being more quickly perishable than inorganic foods, many people find it far more quick, convenient, and most of all, inexpensive, to purchase at restaurants such as McDonald's, BK, etc. This is strictly going off of my original comment which was directed towards Taylor.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Forum » Knowledge » Philosophy/Science » Vegetarianism
Search: