[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]

Login:
Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
Forum moderator: I_Guy, s0dr2, El_Matador  
Forum » Knowledge » Philosophy/Science » Are we real? (Just a question.)
Are we real?
ilikebacon3000 Date: Friday, 14/Jan/11, 11:48 PM | Message # 16

Emcees
What I'm saying is, how do I even know YOU guys are real? How do I know that you guys aren't just figments of my imagination?

And you don't have to know what something is to dream it. People have weird ass ideas/creatures/things in their dreams that don't even exist, you know?

Life's a bitch and I'm just along for the ride.
Lord_Meth Date: Saturday, 15/Jan/11, 0:45 AM | Message # 17

Heads
Quote (ilikebacon3000)
What I'm saying is, how do I even know YOU guys are real? How do I know that you guys aren't just figments of my imagination?

EmSeed basically answered that in his post earlier.

Sick With It
ilikebacon3000 Date: Saturday, 15/Jan/11, 1:47 AM | Message # 18

Emcees
I don't understand how it would answer my question.
That doesn't do anything to prove that we aren't real.

If we aren't real, then dreams are part of the illusion as well.
If we aren't real, we aren't real.. Period. And nothing in this world would matter because that wouldn't be real either.

EmSeeD Date: Saturday, 15/Jan/11, 3:13 AM | Message # 19

Heads
if you're asking how do we know we're not in some matrix like place where we're really in some locker dreaming our lives well i'd have to say whats the difference? even if that were true we're living the lives we're in right now, we live on this planet and then end up dying and beyond that noone knows what happens

if you're saying, is all of life really just a dream that you're having in your head well are you dreaming that i'm sitting at my kitchen table right now? you don't know what my middle names are, you don't know what my 1st cousins name is etc i have all these experiences and this entire life that has nothing to do with you which shows i'm not something in your head

http://chirbit.com/emseed
http://youtube.com/siwooot
ilikebacon3000 Date: Saturday, 15/Jan/11, 3:16 AM | Message # 20

Emcees
OH okay, see, we are on different pages. My bad! I see the point you're making. I'll clarify some things

By dream, I don't mean a literal dream.. Like I don't mean that I could wake up and then be in the same "life" I am now. I wouldn't wake up and be like "That was weird.. I'm gonna go post that on RHHF!!!"
I mean like... Well.. How do we know this isn't an alternate reality, whether it be a matrix, an elborate very detailed hallucinogenic trip we are having in our "real" life, or some sort of dream we might wake from into an alternate reality which is different than the one we are now.

Lord_Meth Date: Saturday, 15/Jan/11, 10:29 AM | Message # 21

Heads
u have a point Taylor, but ur missing the target. Ur being too complex when wat ur looking for is just as simple as saying we are real. I kno the point ur trying to make, but ur not wording it correctly.
Ur asking urself a question that none of us can answer lol We dont believe in that.
Lapennello, when he was active, believed in exactly wat u were talking about

Sick With It
Adam Date: Saturday, 15/Jan/11, 10:36 AM | Message # 22

B-Girls
Quote (Lord_Meth)
We dont believe in that.

and your speaking for the entire site... GTFO

I JUST EXPLODED INTO RAINBOWS AND LOLLIPOPS!
Lord_Meth Date: Saturday, 15/Jan/11, 10:57 AM | Message # 23

Heads
Quote (Adam)
and your speaking for the entire site... GTFO

Calm down. I was referring to those who actually posted something in this thread.

Sick With It
eboyd Date: Saturday, 15/Jan/11, 2:08 PM | Message # 24

Heads
yeah, like i said before, you can't prove that anything is real really. there's no way to prove that anything outside of your personal perception is real and that we are observing it correctly, but it's pointless to ponder about things we will never know the truth about when we can just trust our perceptions unless there is a specific event that occurs that we can prove we perceived incorrectly. a table is a table. it's useless to ponder as to whether or not that table is a cat to someone else lol. it is also pointless to ponder whether others perceive the table at all, or whether there truly are other people to perceive anything. just be content with "i perceive things as they likely are".

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

s0dr2 Date: Saturday, 15/Jan/11, 2:08 PM | Message # 25

OGs
Quote (Adam)
no... when we zoom in on objects in REAL LIFE what we see are pixels.

no...

Quote (eboyd)
but it's pointless to ponder about things we will never know the truth about when we can just trust our perceptions unless there is a specific event that occurs that we can prove we perceived incorrectly. a table is a table. it's useless to ponder as to whether or not that table is a cat to someone else lol.

thank you

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

Adam Date: Saturday, 15/Jan/11, 2:27 PM | Message # 26

B-Girls
sodr just wants a reason to believe in his jebus even though it all doesn't matter shit when you take into consideration the universe.

I JUST EXPLODED INTO RAINBOWS AND LOLLIPOPS!
Menace Date: Saturday, 15/Jan/11, 2:52 PM | Message # 27

Heads
Taylor needs to get laid, with a girl this time not with Erik

Lord_Meth Date: Saturday, 15/Jan/11, 3:21 PM | Message # 28

Heads
Quote (Adam)
sodr just wants a reason to believe in his jebus even though it all doesn't matter shit when you take into consideration the universe.

No personal attacks on his beliefs bro lol

I kno most of guys have seen Inception. That would be pretty sweet if it was possible to do.

Sick With It
Greeny Date: Saturday, 15/Jan/11, 3:23 PM | Message # 29

OGs
Quote (EmSeeD)
if you're saying, is all of life really just a dream that you're having in your head well are you dreaming that i'm sitting at my kitchen table right now? you don't know what my middle names are, you don't know what my 1st cousins name is etc i have all these experiences and this entire life that has nothing to do with you which shows i'm not something in your head

I think you misunderstood.. He's not saying it makes sense for you if you're in his imagination. Since your being isn't certain to him, it doesn't have to make sense to you (standing in his shoes)
The imagination theory means that YOU are dreaming, and other people have no significance, they experience nothing. Since I personally know I am real in some way, because I think, I'm at a conscious state, I know that I'm not in someone's imagination, unless it's my own. I have no idea if you experience anything, if you're real in any way, I don't know if you think, you might as well only be in my imagination (not your experiences, to me you might as well not have them, because I don't know them)

It only applies for everybody individually and personally. idk if I made sense out of that.

Being in a conscious state doesn't mean that things are real though, it only means that I'm not only a character in someone else's imagination. That's why the question is "Is the external world in any way real?"

:)
eboyd Date: Saturday, 15/Jan/11, 3:30 PM | Message # 30

Heads
Quote (Greeny)
I personally know I am real in some way, because I think, I'm at a conscious state, I know that I'm not in someone's imagination, unless it's my own.

the cogito. has someone been studying Descartes? lol :D

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Forum » Knowledge » Philosophy/Science » Are we real? (Just a question.)
Search: