[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]

Login:
Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
Forum moderator: I_Guy, s0dr2, El_Matador  
Forum » Knowledge » Philosophy/Science » Are we real? (Just a question.)
Are we real?
ilikebacon3000 Date: Friday, 14/Jan/11, 1:43 AM | Message # 1

Emcees
Are we real?

Are we in a matrix of sorts?

Is this a dream?

Go.
This question has pestered me for just under 3 years now.

Life's a bitch and I'm just along for the ride.
eboyd Date: Friday, 14/Jan/11, 2:02 AM | Message # 2

Heads
i'm not an idealist so yes, i believe we're real. you can't debunk idealism though because it's a question of metaphysics, meaning there's nothing empirical about it and so you can't find proof one way or the other.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

ilikebacon3000 Date: Friday, 14/Jan/11, 2:34 AM | Message # 3

Emcees
I have no idea what this means.

EmSeeD Date: Friday, 14/Jan/11, 3:23 AM | Message # 4

Heads
i believe so, if this was all just a dream well then who's dream is it? is this all bacons dream? if so then why would bacon be dreaming about me typing on the computer right now in a country he's never even been to, is this all eboyds dream? same thing, is this all my dream? well the fact i can see the people around me have independant thoughts and experiences of their own, things that have nothing to do with me with knowledge i don't even know lets me know life couldn't possibly just all be a dream in my own head, i mean when you dream you can only dream about things you already know or have experienced right?

http://chirbit.com/emseed
http://youtube.com/siwooot
eboyd Date: Friday, 14/Jan/11, 4:22 AM | Message # 5

Heads
Quote (ilikebacon3000)
I have no idea what this means.

Idealism
Metaphysics
Empiricism

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Adam Date: Friday, 14/Jan/11, 7:12 AM | Message # 6

B-Girls
erik stop tryna kick knowledge

put it simple, scientists have tried zooming in on a bunch of different objects. And each time they do it the image pixelates. Just like a computer screen, so there is a theory that we are all just an advanced computer simulation.

the limits and power of computers are pushed everyday, and the more our technology advances the more this theory is possible.

Only 1 flaw no matter how advanced a computer/machine is, it cannot fathom "infinity." A computer only knows yes or no, not "maybe," or "random."

But then again whos to say our universe and all of space doesn't have a ticking time limit.

I JUST EXPLODED INTO RAINBOWS AND LOLLIPOPS!
Treach Date: Friday, 14/Jan/11, 10:07 AM | Message # 7

OGs
noone knows

"We took pride in intellect and skill
Now you gotta have some sex appeal to get a record deal"
- K-RINO
Greeny Date: Friday, 14/Jan/11, 10:48 AM | Message # 8

OGs
The whole perspective field of philosophy seems like a waste of time for me.

Quote (EmSeeD)
i believe so, if this was all just a dream well then who's dream is it? is this all bacons dream? if so then why would bacon be dreaming about me typing on the computer right now in a country he's never even been to, is this all eboyds dream?

This is assuming that other people are real.

In case we're in a simulator, why should we care? Ignorance is bliss, so take the pill and be happy. (Matrix that is)
I do appreciate the truth, but it sure is overrated often.

Added (14/Jan/11, 10:48 Am)
---------------------------------------------
Also, you can dream that you learn new things if you have suppressed them.

I'm confused, are we saying that all life is a dream, or just that right now is a dream?

:)
ilikebacon3000 Date: Friday, 14/Jan/11, 12:26 PM | Message # 9

Emcees
Quote (Greeny)
I'm confused, are we saying that all life is a dream, or just that right now is a dream?

I mean the life you are in right now. What you know as reality.
Thanks Erik, I'll check out those links later today. Promise!
I basically agree with what Adam said.

Mark, I think you are thinking inside the box a little too much. I mean when I say dream, I don't mean it in the typical sense of the word. I am using it to describe any sort of simulation we might be in. But even if it was a dream in the classical sense of the word, the actual REAL world we live in, the rules might be different and everything might be different than it is here, so I might not need to know about anything to dream about it.

Lord_Meth Date: Friday, 14/Jan/11, 3:01 PM | Message # 10

Heads
Quote (EmSeeD)
i believe so, if this was all just a dream well then who's dream is it? is this all bacons dream? if so then why would bacon be dreaming about me typing on the computer right now in a country he's never even been to, is this all eboyds dream? same thing, is this all my dream? well the fact i can see the people around me have independant thoughts and experiences of their own, things that have nothing to do with me with knowledge i don't even know lets me know life couldn't possibly just all be a dream in my own head, i mean when you dream you can only dream about things you already know or have experienced right?

I co-sign this

Sick With It
s0dr2 Date: Friday, 14/Jan/11, 3:12 PM | Message # 11

OGs
Quote (Adam)
put it simple, scientists have tried zooming in on a bunch of different objects. And each time they do it the image pixelates. Just like a computer screen, so there is a theory that we are all just an advanced computer simulation.

what? just cause computers get pixelated images of things means we're ... i'm not even gonna try digesting this

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

Lord_Meth Date: Friday, 14/Jan/11, 3:19 PM | Message # 12

Heads
Quote (s0dr2)
what? just cause computers get pixelated images of things means we're ... i'm not even gonna try digesting this

Yes Im confused by that too. Thats like saying because a dog is color blind so are we.

Sick With It
Adam Date: Friday, 14/Jan/11, 5:30 PM | Message # 13

B-Girls
no... when we zoom in on objects in REAL LIFE what we see are pixels.

abanks47 Date: Friday, 14/Jan/11, 6:43 PM | Message # 14

Emcees
http://green-buzz.net/photos....ictures

A WELL DRESSED SKELETON SLOWLY CUTS YOUR THROAT.

"I Have No Fear Whatsoever of Anybody or Anything" -Malcolm X

“those who consider themselves the most adamant adherents of “real” hip-hop can also be the least knowledgeable.” –Adilifu Nama; an excert from his perception of Nas’s “Genesis”

Adam Date: Friday, 14/Jan/11, 7:57 PM | Message # 15

B-Girls
thats microscope i think the scientist im talking about zoomed in closer than that with something.

plus i asked my teacher once about those pictures she said they are photoshoped

Forum » Knowledge » Philosophy/Science » Are we real? (Just a question.)
Search: