[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]

Login:
Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
Forum moderator: ThaScience, Aristotle, El_Matador  
Forum » Real HIP HOP Forever » Hip Hop History/Knowledge » Was There A West vs East Coast Beef?
Was There A West vs East Coast Beef?
eboyd Date: Friday, 08/Jan/10, 8:12 PM | Message # 1

Heads
Quote (Uncharted)
yep rick rubin had the money

damn Jews rofl

Quote (ALCATRAZ)
The East Coast vs. West Coast feud was in fact very real.

how? that shit was pretty much Death Row vs. Bad Boy + a few other cats who accidentally got dragged into it (ie Chino XL)

Quote (ALCATRAZ)
Can't necessarily hate the brotha for that.

i wasn't hating. i'm straight-edge too. it was actually funny how i found out too. i was giving him a ride home (we both live in the valley in Los Angeles. he's in the good part though lol) after we had been hanging out with mutual friends in Venice at a tattoo parlor (DOPE ASS PLACE btw. unfortunately they went under) and EVERYONE except me and Perce were smoking weed. when i was driving him home i told him i noticed that he didn't take a hit at all and he said that was because he doesn't smoke, drink, nothing. never has, never will. we were laughing about it because i told him i was the same way and then we shared stories of people pissing us off because they were smoking and almost got us in trouble. he mentioned one time where the Stones Throw cast almost got him thrown in jail because as they got off a plane, Madlib, who, as everyone here should know, is constantly lit, as well as others, all had weed on them. he was pissed because he had already mapped out how much money he was going to make on the tour and if he had to cancel the tour, he would have met a serious financial burden. luckily they were allowed to go and nothing happened with them. he says that these cats that put 1,000 gallons of alcohol on their riders make him laugh as well. it was a fun convo. dudes a real down to earth, family oriented guy.

Quote (abanks47)
-One of the reasons U-god has so little on 36 chambers is because he was incarcerated during a portion of the recording and the release of 36 chambers

are you sure you're not confusing U-God with Masta Killa?

Quote (abanks47)
-Further into U-god there is a village in Hungary with the same name 'Ugod' (thanks wiki)

lol wow! my entire family is in Hungary but i've never been. i need to ask them about this :D

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

EmSeeD Date: Friday, 08/Jan/10, 8:45 PM | Message # 2

Heads
Quote (abanks47)
Mac Dre's tombstone was stolen from his resting place. it was never recovered and eventually replaced

i bet some hardcore fan has it in his bedroom

Quote (eboyd)
how? that shit was pretty much Death Row vs. Bad Boy + a few other cats who accidentally got dragged into it (ie Chino XL)

i think there was a east coast west coast rivaly, some of it may have been unintentional. a lot of east coast artists had resentment toward the west coast because the west coast pretty much took over the whole scene, and they didn't like their gangsta gimmicks, or even their lyrics.

http://chirbit.com/emseed
http://youtube.com/siwooot
abanks47 Date: Friday, 08/Jan/10, 8:54 PM | Message # 3

Emcees

i think there was a east coast west coast rivaly, some of it may have been unintentional. a lot of east coast artists had resentment toward the west coast because the west coast pretty much took over the whole scene, and they didn't like their gangsta gimmicks, or even their lyrics.

to add on what Emseed was saying, east/west was not just death row and bad boy disagreement. both sides (east and west)had a very intense rivalry with one another and a few peoples lives were lost as a result of this feud. A great example of east/west beef that had nothing to do with death row and was widely publicized was Westside Connection VS Common. LOL Farrakhan had to step in, that shit was gettin serious.

A WELL DRESSED SKELETON SLOWLY CUTS YOUR THROAT.

"I Have No Fear Whatsoever of Anybody or Anything" -Malcolm X

“those who consider themselves the most adamant adherents of “real” hip-hop can also be the least knowledgeable.” –Adilifu Nama; an excert from his perception of Nas’s “Genesis”

eboyd Date: Friday, 08/Jan/10, 9:03 PM | Message # 4

Heads
Quote (abanks47)
thats cool, watch they live in ugod and have statues and buildings named after dude

lol yeah, that would be funny :D

Quote (EmSeeD)

dude, i live in LA. i was listening to hip hop back then (though, tbh, i got into it more during the aftermath of it). NY artists were still collabing with Cali artists all the time during that period. hell, Pac didn't even claim beef against the east coast. he was still chilling with east coast artists behind the scenes while simultaneously talking shit on Jay, Big, Nas, Mobb Deep, etc.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

eboyd Date: Friday, 08/Jan/10, 9:04 PM | Message # 5

Heads
Quote (abanks47)
A great example of east/west beef that had nothing to do with death row and was widely publicized was Westside Connection VS Common.

Common is midwest, not east coast.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

abanks47 Date: Friday, 08/Jan/10, 9:12 PM | Message # 6

Emcees

Chicago is not in our nations midwest. if anything its in the mid to mid east. but people considered it east V west

Added (08/Jan/10, 9:12 Pm)
---------------------------------------------
one more piece of evidence

“those who consider themselves the most adamant adherents of “real” hip-hop can also be the least knowledgeable.” –Adilifu Nama; an excert from his perception of Nas’s “Genesis”

EmSeeD Date: Friday, 08/Jan/10, 9:18 PM | Message # 7

Heads
Quote (eboyd)
dude, i live in LA. i was listening to hip hop back then (though, tbh, i got into it more during the aftermath of it). NY artists were still collabing with Cali artists all the time during that period. hell, Pac didn't even claim beef against the east coast. he was still chilling with east coast artists behind the scenes while simultaneously talking shit on Jay, Big, Nas, Mobb Deep, etc.

some east coast artists hated the way people cared more about whether the artist was a gangsta, and how everyone was hopping on G-Funk, which is why KRS made his album Return of the Boom Bap, as in a return to the original east coast sound. KRS even talked about people saying hip hop was dead.

examples of this:

going by this i don't believe KRS saw a lot of gangsta rap as being hip hop.

this was the first east vs west beef, Tim Dog dissing all of compton, he was sick of everyone jumping on compton aritsts and ignoring artists like himself, but to be fair Tim Dog actually sucks.

there was a healthy rivaly too between them, but still a rivaly, this song was made about Kurupts victory in a battle against a bunch of new york emcee's

eboyd Date: Friday, 08/Jan/10, 9:32 PM | Message # 8

Heads
Quote (abanks47)
Chicago is not in our nations midwest. if anything its in the mid to mid east. but people considered it east V west

the state of Illinois is commonly considered to be in the nation's midwest region. it is not east coast.

Quote (abanks47)
one more piece of evidence

yeah, Westside Connection are a group that should talk. Public Enemy's producer Hank Shocklee's production had a big hand in blowing Ice Cube up as an artist and WC had arguably his most well-known appearance on a Gang Starr track along with Rakim.

Quote (EmSeeD)
but to be fair Tim Dog actually sucks.

precisely :D

Quote (EmSeeD)
there was a healthy rivaly too between them, but still a rivaly, this song was made about Kurupts victory in a battle against a bunch of new york emcee's

Kurupt's entire style was bred into him by the city where he grew up which was not Los Angeles... it was Philadelphia... a city on the east coast.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

abanks47 Date: Friday, 08/Jan/10, 9:40 PM | Message # 9

Emcees
the state of Illinois is commonly considered to be in the nation's midwest region. it is not east coast.

its commonly considered but when staring at a top down view of the US can you say that is mid-west? cmon

yeah, Westside Connection are a group that should talk. Public Enemy's producer Hank Shocklee's production had a big hand in blowing Ice Cube up as an artist and WC had arguably his most well-known appearance on a Gang Starr track along with Rakim.

that song was made about 3-4 years after the rivalry ended so yeah :p

Chinita Date: Friday, 08/Jan/10, 10:49 PM | Message # 10

Heads
please make sure you don't click on these links when spammers come in once in awhile like the one above this message, it can possibly harm your pc with viruses or spywares.

eboyd Date: Friday, 08/Jan/10, 10:53 PM | Message # 11

Heads
Quote (abanks47)
its commonly considered but when staring at a top down view of the US can you say that is mid-west? cmon

yes, i know lol. i'm just going by what they call it. it's still not east coast even by hip hop standards so :p

Quote (abanks47)
that song was made about 3-4 years after the rivalry ended so yeah :p

pfft come on! besides, what excuse does Ice Cube have for a majority (if not all) of the tracks on "Amerikkka's Most Wanted" being produced by Hank Shocklee? BAM! BUSTED! :D

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

eboyd Date: Friday, 08/Jan/10, 10:54 PM | Message # 12

Heads
btw, chinita, next time someone posts spam on the site, don't warn people, just delete it. i deleted that one for you.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

EmSeeD Date: Friday, 08/Jan/10, 10:59 PM | Message # 13

Heads
i know kurupt was born in philidelphia,

and come on guys vote in the beat battle between bobo and uncharted wtf

http://realhiphop4ever.ucoz.com/forum/19-3481-4#96161

eboyd Date: Friday, 08/Jan/10, 11:20 PM | Message # 14

Heads
Quote (LadyChinita)
thanks e lol yes of course but we won't always be here to delete them right away so its good to warn people about it once in awhile..

that's true. guess i didn't think about it that way

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

abanks47 Date: Saturday, 09/Jan/10, 0:16 AM | Message # 15

Emcees
yes, but you ARE insinuating that it is an extension of the east-west beef and it's just not lol

Westside Connection recorded tracks venting their issues with rival East Coast rappers -wiki

I can't say it any better than who ever the fuck wrote that on wiki. It wasn't just common but he was the main focus point. i cant find the conference between westside connection, common, and farrakhan but im fairly certain that he refers to there issues as east/west as well. no one corrected him

Forum » Real HIP HOP Forever » Hip Hop History/Knowledge » Was There A West vs East Coast Beef?
Search: