[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]

Login:
Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
Forum moderator: TheWatcher, Menace, I_Guy, Aristotle  
Forum » Knowledge » Religious/Philosophical Debate » Can atheists pray?
Can atheists pray?
Chinita Date: Tuesday, 14/Jul/09, 10:55 AM | Message # 16

Heads
Quote (ill)
ive prayed in some dark hours before
not because i believe anything will come of it but because it gives me peace

yea i've done the same thing, i think some people want to hang on to something, anything just for that peace of mind at that moment..

Quote (Menace)
people always die Chinita shit happens the thing about religion is that they think prayer is the ultimate weapon but is not and is quite useless in 3rd world countries do you think Africans don't pray ?? the kids in Sierra Leone don't pray ?? well they do and they still die or become slaves if praying was the solution the world wouldn't be like this and good people wouldn't die like this the thing is we pray but we don't actually help each other we don't offer consolation to each other you can't really know what's in everyone's minds so we can't really answer that question my answer is be always positive in a positive mind state be mentally clean and focus on what you want that's my thing

well i think everyone has their own way of bringing themselves some peace of mind whatever that may be is all good with me, either through prayer or counting till 10 or sticking to faith for the moment... to each is own but ur right, i think whats important is to be positive at that moment and do what works for u..i try my hardest to stay positive especially for the ones that are next to me like my kids. if they see me fall apart then they will..why can't people brings themselves peace of mind in a dark hour whether it creates a miracle or not.like mak said, in desperate measures some that dont believe might still pray or hope there is a higher force out there they can talk to that could bring some miracle or peaceful minstate even if it doesnt always work out that way or goes the way they wished..when ur desperate you'll try almost anything because what do you have to loose at that point? u hope for the best. i guess we will never know what we would do if u were holding on to your last breath to survive n knew u were slipping away.

s0dr2 Date: Tuesday, 14/Jul/09, 1:13 PM | Message # 17

OGs
speaking of prayer...heres some monks praying

btw atheists praying is pointless
agnostics....maybe if they consider pascal's wager, but then again what are they praying to?

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

Menace Date: Tuesday, 14/Jul/09, 1:58 PM | Message # 18

Heads
Quote (sodr2)
agnostics....maybe if they consider pascal's wager, but then again what are they praying to?

pascal's wager doesn't prove God exists Pascal did not offer the wager as a proof. It is merely a conclusion to his arguments against certainty that relies on the notion that reason is untrustworthy and that discerning God's actual existence appears to be "a coin toss." If reason can be trusted on the question of God's existence, then the wager simply does not apply. And using such tactics to convert people in the 21 century is hilarious Voltaire debunked that a long time ago .

s0dr2 Date: Tuesday, 14/Jul/09, 2:03 PM | Message # 19

OGs
i wasnt arguing pascal's wager, but then again it is something to consider, even for atheists

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

Menace Date: Tuesday, 14/Jul/09, 2:56 PM | Message # 20

Heads
Quote (sodr2)
i wasnt arguing pascal's wager, but then again it is something to consider, even for atheists

the wager is considered even by current theists being "primitive" ;)

ilikebacon3000 Date: Tuesday, 14/Jul/09, 3:39 PM | Message # 21

Emcees
no one adressed the NDE's.

Life's a bitch and I'm just along for the ride.
Menace Date: Tuesday, 14/Jul/09, 3:50 PM | Message # 22

Heads
Quote (ilikebacon3000)
no one adressed the NDE's.

it cannot be addressed this whole thread is kinda useless because we cannot know what's in the minds of individuals every man/woman has her/is own perception about praying even in the NDE's we cannot know that because individuals are too diverse everybody has their own perceptions about praying and what they will do in such instances plus you cannot answer directly the NDE's if you never was in a real one so dude drop it ;) :D

s0dr2 Date: Tuesday, 14/Jul/09, 4:34 PM | Message # 23

OGs
sure it may be primitive but just like a seed, their faith can grow

aside...do people really experience stuff near their death??

Lord_Meth Date: Tuesday, 14/Jul/09, 5:06 PM | Message # 24

Heads
Quote (MAK_The_Lucid_Tongue)
NO!!! An atheist can't pray cuz they don't believe in a highter power to pray to......... although, I bet when they're life is on the line 95% of them will be praying their ass off.

LOL
idk I think praying eases the spirit and just soothes you idk....Wouldnt prayer be the same as meditating for a non-believer?

Sick With It
Menace Date: Tuesday, 14/Jul/09, 5:14 PM | Message # 25

Heads
Quote (Lord_Meth)
Wouldnt prayer be the same as meditating for a non-believer?

dude as i said on the other page prayer involves asking help from supernatural beings while meditation like in Buddhist mediation for example doesn't require that mediation in a classical sense is a straight natural and psychological process where the subject for example eases his mind and finds peace

Lord_Meth Date: Tuesday, 14/Jul/09, 5:15 PM | Message # 26

Heads
Quote (Menace)
dude as i said on the other page prayer involves asking help from supernatural beings while meditation like in Buddhist mediation for example doesn't require that mediation in a classical sense is a straight natural and psychological process where the subject for example eases his mind and finds peace

Oh okay gotcha

Sick With It
Boner-Jamz-11 Date: Tuesday, 14/Jul/09, 6:17 PM | Message # 27

Rappers
atheists cant pray cuz our heads will expload from bullshit overload

#TeamHipster
#SWAGSWAG

TUMBLR CLICK CLICK CLICK!
eboyd Date: Tuesday, 14/Jul/09, 6:24 PM | Message # 28

Heads
Bacon, to address NDE's, they have found through scientific study that NDE's aren't an actual temporary death, but rather simply a "clinical death" as they've come to be called, which means you are still very much alive during NDE's. The current theory is that during an NDE you are in a sort of REM state (mentally I mean. I don't think any rapid eye movement is occurring at that time) in that you are literally dreaming and the automatic reaction during such a state is to hallucinate about what you would think would happen when you die considering you probably already know something bad has happened to you. So naturally, someone who is a Christian or an Atheist/Agnostic that has been predisposed to Christianity and/or subconsciously hopes heaven/God exists even if they don't believe in it will have a hallucination of going to the "white light" as it's been said. What's more is people who feel guilty about something often see what they identify as hell. This has been a recurring hallucination during NDE's as well and you say you don't believe in hell, so if we base our knowledge of God on NDE's, either God, heaven and hell exist or none of them exist. This, of course, as I said, is simply based on NDE's though. NDE's prove nothing. It could be a simple hallucination and yet and still God and heaven may exist, however, if we assume NDE's are ultimate proof (which is an obvious fallacy), then we must assume it's either or, making NDE's a baseless argument.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

eboyd Date: Tuesday, 14/Jul/09, 6:45 PM | Message # 29

Heads
Yeah, that's part of it, plus my parents have been going there since I was like 5 and I know a lot of people there. I get a lot of moral support, support in life decisions, and even financial support from that church. It's just a great place to be and a great group of people to be around.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Menace Date: Tuesday, 14/Jul/09, 7:24 PM | Message # 30

Heads
Erik , when the revolution comes your Church will be expropriated and i surely will be the one putting a bullet into your pastor/priest's head annihilate :D

Forum » Knowledge » Religious/Philosophical Debate » Can atheists pray?
Search: