[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]

Login:
Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
Forum moderator: TheWatcher, Menace, I_Guy, Aristotle  
Forum » Knowledge » Religious/Philosophical Debate » Can atheists pray?
Can atheists pray?
ilikebacon3000 Date: Tuesday, 14/Jul/09, 6:12 AM | Message # 1

Emcees
can atheists pray?

Life's a bitch and I'm just along for the ride.
eboyd Date: Tuesday, 14/Jul/09, 6:14 AM | Message # 2

Heads
well, they can, but it's pointless. seriously, i want to hear a logical (and likely, as in not a life and death situation or something like that) reason for why an atheist/agnostic would pray. that's absurd imo.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

EmSeeD Date: Tuesday, 14/Jul/09, 6:16 AM | Message # 3

Heads
they can meditate i think

http://chirbit.com/emseed
http://youtube.com/siwooot
eboyd Date: Tuesday, 14/Jul/09, 6:20 AM | Message # 4

Heads
Quote (EmSeeD)
they can meditate i think

meditation =/= praying. meditation is good for your body/mind in many ways. and ftr, anyone can do anything they want as long as it's physically possible, however, atheists/agnostics praying is completely illogical. of course this statement makes me illogical as i go to church once in a while and get involved in prayer even though i'm sitting there not even paying attention. oh well.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

EmSeeD Date: Tuesday, 14/Jul/09, 6:24 AM | Message # 5

Heads
i think praying does do some good for you though, i think its good for your mind

http://chirbit.com/emseed
http://youtube.com/siwooot
ilikebacon3000 Date: Tuesday, 14/Jul/09, 6:31 AM | Message # 6

Emcees
yo erik, you ever read any of those NDE (near death experience) stories?
Ive come up with this idea that god sent down people like Muhamad, Bhudda, jesus, etc as models for us to live by. There is no right/wrong. He wants us to model our life after one of them. Whichever one calls to us the most. They were all quite perfect beings, and are great people to strive to be like.
It's hard to battle those NDE stories...... You cant really. Theres no explanation for the ones who are dead for several days. Not enough DMT is stored in your body, therefore it cant just be a big DMT trip.
so idk.

Life's a bitch and I'm just along for the ride.
Menace Date: Tuesday, 14/Jul/09, 9:21 AM | Message # 7

Heads
Quote (ilikebacon3000)
yo erik, you ever read any of those NDE (near death experience) stories?
Ive come up with this idea that god sent down people like Muhamad, Bhudda, jesus, etc as models for us to live by. There is no right/wrong. He wants us to model our life after one of them. Whichever one calls to us the most. They were all quite perfect beings, and are great people to strive to be like.
It's hard to battle those NDE stories...... You cant really. Theres no explanation for the ones who are dead for several days. Not enough DMT is stored in your body, therefore it cant just be a big DMT trip.
so idk.

you don't even make sense sometimes you say something that really hurts my eyes :D

and mediation is different from praying while praying is the act of praying to a supernatural being or to a person or whatever meditation doesn't require that mediation in a classical sense is a psychological process and why should an atheist pray ?? if he doesn't believe in supernatural all mighty beings ?? there is no sense to praying

ill Date: Tuesday, 14/Jul/09, 9:29 AM | Message # 8

Emcees
dmt sounds fucking ace i wanna try it

anyone done it

The World Is Yours
Chinita Date: Tuesday, 14/Jul/09, 9:34 AM | Message # 9

Heads
what about hope or wishes instead of praying, anybody belive that wishes can come true? do u ever wish things could change, just an example..has anyone ever wished upon a star? i did as a kid, dont even know why i did that :) idk but u guys duke it out and have a good discussion. ttyl

Menace Date: Tuesday, 14/Jul/09, 9:38 AM | Message # 10

Heads
Quote (LadyChinita)
what about hope or wishes, anybody belive that wishes can come true? do u ever wish things could change

that has nothing to do whit praying tough and in metaphysics what you say is called the law of attraction i will post a documentary about it

MAK_The_Lucid_Tongue Date: Tuesday, 14/Jul/09, 9:42 AM | Message # 11

Emcees
NO!!! An atheist can't pray cuz they don't believe in a highter power to pray to......... although, I bet when they're life is on the line 95% of them will be praying their ass off.

"UNTIL THEY STOP ME, BURY, MURDER ME OR DROP ME, I GOT...THUG LUV FOR MY NATIONWIDE POSSE"

Chinita Date: Tuesday, 14/Jul/09, 9:50 AM | Message # 12

Heads
Quote (Menace)
that has nothing to do whit praying tough and in metaphysics what you say is called the law of attraction i will post a documentary about it

ok cool, i'll take a look at the doc.. well before u posted this, i changed it to believe in wishes and hope instead of prayer. i say wishes because this topic came from the car accident thread so if a person doesnt pray, do some just wish or hope in a life or death situation like my father's son. he is an atheist himself so i wonder while he's conscious and knowing u can die, is he wishing or hoping there is a higher force out there somewhere that can help him? just wondering and thinking what an athiest or anyone would do in the last min when fighting for ur last breath..

MAK_The_Lucid_Tongue Date: Tuesday, 14/Jul/09, 9:58 AM | Message # 13

Emcees
Quote (LadyChinita)
just wondering and thinking what an athiest or anyone would do in the last min when fighting for ur last breath..

I think they'd be praying... maybe not to anyone/God in particular but at least to a higher being.

"UNTIL THEY STOP ME, BURY, MURDER ME OR DROP ME, I GOT...THUG LUV FOR MY NATIONWIDE POSSE"

ill Date: Tuesday, 14/Jul/09, 10:00 AM | Message # 14

Emcees
ive prayed in some dark hours before

not because i believe anything will come of it but because it gives me peace

The World Is Yours
Menace Date: Tuesday, 14/Jul/09, 10:07 AM | Message # 15

Heads
Quote (LadyChinita)
ok cool, i'll take a look at the doc.. well before u posted this, i changed it to believe in wishes and hope instead of prayer. i say wishes because this topic came from the car accident thread so if a person doesnt pray, do some just wish or hope in a life or death situation like my father's son. he is an atheist himself so i wonder while he's conscious and knowing u can die, is he wishing or hoping there is a higher force out there somewhere that can help him? just wondering and thinking what an athiest or anyone would do in the last min when fighting for ur last breath..

people always die Chinita shit happens the thing about religion is that they think prayer is the ultimate weapon but is not and is quite useless in 3rd world countries do you think Africans don't pray ?? the kids in Sierra Leone don't pray ?? well they do and they still die or become slaves if praying was the solution the world wouldn't be like this and good people wouldn't die like this the thing is we pray but we don't actually help each other we don't offer consolation to each other you can't really know what's in everyone's minds so we can't really answer that question my answer is be always positive in a positive mind state be mentally clean and focus on what you want that's my thing

Forum » Knowledge » Religious/Philosophical Debate » Can atheists pray?
Search: