[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]

Login:
Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
  • Page 1 of 9
  • »
Forum moderator: TheWatcher, Menace, I_Guy, Aristotle  
Forum » Knowledge » Religious/Philosophical Debate » Atheist/Religious Death Toll Comparisons Are Irrelevant?
Atheist/Religious Death Toll Comparisons Are Irrelevant?
eboyd Date: Monday, 19/Oct/09, 11:51 PM | Message # 1

Heads
Here is a blog I stumbled upon that I found interesting:

http://skeptoid.com/episode.php?id=4076&comments=all#discuss

And so I commented on it. Tell me what you think of both the initial argument and my counter argument. I would very much like to hear sodr's argument on this as well. Anyways, here's my comment:

"It is true to assume that most people who kill in the name of religion or belief (or lack thereof) system are simply using it as an excuse to commit such attrocities, so such high body counts cannot be attributed to religion or lack thereof. However, there are specialized cases where religion CAN be blamed for murder where two people would have been friends otherwise but their convictions led them to do something horrible. One example was that of Larry Hooper. Hooper was an atheist and his roommate a Christian fundamentalist. Larry revealed his nonbelief to his roommate and the roommate proceeded to blow his head off with a shotgun. This man did not have any psychological disabilities (other than a delusion belief in a supreme being), yet his belief in God led him, and his close family members who acted completely vile toward nonbelievers that showed up at the trial for support for Mr. Hooper, to show no remorse whatsoever for the murder. He felt completely justified. Now why is it OK that I blame this on religion? Because Mr. Hooper's murderer was simply acting directly upon what his holy book states. Whether or not most Christians follow this is irrelevant. Because cherry picking verses from the bible is so common, what stops someone, like Mr. Hooper's murderer, especially if their convictions in their book is so strong that they disregard the law of the place where they live and know that they will go to prison but do not care, from cherry picking verses like those that instruct Gods chosen people to stone nonbelievers, homosexuals, rebellious teenagers, etc.? The answer is nothing. There is, contrary to popular belief, nothing in the bible that specifically states that after Jesus was born Mosaic Law no longer applies. On the contrary, Jesus specifically states that OT law is still the law of the land, only negating inconsequential things such as a ban on wearing mixed fabrics. And Christianity isn't the only religion that this could be said of. Judaism could actually be said to be far worse as they do not believe in Jesus and so there is nothing guarding them from Mosaic Law. Islam similarly has Sharia Law. And these two types of law aren't the only places in these holy books where murder in the name of religion is promoted. I will avoid speicific examples for now as I do not feel I need to look them up because they are incontrovertable. And though the example of Mr. Hooper is only one case, it is not the only one. There have been three that I personally know about including Mr. Hooper's case, the other two occuring in Australia, plus let us not forget the innumerable amounts of nonbelievers put to death in the middle ages for their beliefs. I cannot speak for other religions due to my lack of knowledge of non-Abrahamic religions, and it could be quite likely that religions like Buddhism especially would not at all promote such things, but that doesn't change what these three core religions, and likely many others, have written as absolute law. The same cannot be said for atheists ever as we do not have any absolute laws and therefore society's norms dictate what is law, and society's norms can be changed, if by nothing else, by citizens rising up as activists and leading a movement to change the "law of the land". For this reason, specific religions can and should be held responsible for death counts and atheism should not. If their absolute laws explicitly promote murder in the name of their beliefs, then it is absolutely that religion's fault."

Btw, if anyone here wants info on Larry Hooper or the two Australian incidents where an atheist was murdered in the name of Christianity, they are easily searchable on Google. Just type, for example, Larry Hooper Atheist or something of the like and you should find the story.

On a side note, it's amazing how little media coverage it got. If this were a black man... Well... Look at the Sean Bell incident. Need I say more? What is with the prejudice against atheists? So many media and political/public figures are speaking out against atheism as well that it is absurd.

Anyways, what do you think?

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

eboyd Date: Tuesday, 20/Oct/09, 9:08 AM | Message # 2

Heads
bump

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

eboyd Date: Tuesday, 20/Oct/09, 11:16 AM | Message # 3

Heads
???

YANHAP, you deleted your comment?

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Acekat00o Date: Tuesday, 20/Oct/09, 12:00 PM | Message # 4

Heads
the religious beliefs of the leaders like Stalin or hittle doesent count because he killed that many to "build a great nation" and their action doesent interfere in any way with religion,Stalin killed his russians because of poor cowntry management and the fear of traitor and to make him more feared by his subjects ,while religious persecutors killed "in the name of God" and that has everything to do with religion because they were doing it for their religion while the atheists are not killing in the name of atheism ,tat would be fucking absurd (nevertheless killing in the name of God is as absurd but it happens more times"

Graffiti
YANHAP1 Date: Tuesday, 20/Oct/09, 12:32 PM | Message # 5

DJs
?????????

Rugrats loose in the area.

??????????

Okay to recap i cited WWI and WWII and Spanish Civil War and Vietnam as ideological wars.
I also cited that Buddhist warrior monks also killed and used their religious ideology to absolve themselves, and that thier method, killing without emotion, was little more than a trained psychosis...not illness but a nurtured mindstate,Buddhism declares that all should remove themselves of any emotive ties to achieve purity of action.

Can someone be truely good when commiting harmful acts to others in the name of anything?

Many, infact most, people who follow Abrahamic religions commit no atrocity, its down to the individuals capacity.

Also more people died in the so called world wars than died in all wars in history to that point combined,throw in religious pogroms and it makes little difference to the total.

So are Communism/Capitalism/Anarchism religions, no they are as you state ideologies, bereft of the notion of God.

The murders of muslims in the Soviet Empire were precisely because they believed in a God, Stalin didn't kill them all other individuals were complicit, the same applied to Buddhists Taoists Muslims Christians and Animists in China.

The bible and many other books in the semetic religions say many things, for example Isiah states he who slays an Ox it is though he slayed a man.
Equating the killing of animals to be as serious as the killing of humans, surely a healthy and sound point of view.

Yet many many so called Christians eat beef pork chicken etc.
So not all, if any, Christians live the, or act on all of, the Bible.

Their morals are as individual as their fingerprints regardless of the so called moral code they profess to rally around.

To say otherwise is an act of de-humanisation.

People of any persuation, religious non-religious ideological non-ideological all hold the inherent belief that thier way or lack of way is superior to others wether through blind faith or exercises in rationalism.

What would suit me is if they minded their own affairs didn't evangalise and just be the good people they profess they are, scrutinising their own wants and actions without imposing on others and creating tensions that are unnessecary by engaging in little more than exercises of egoism.

So i would agree that if atheism is not a "cause" the arguement is irrelevent however the "cause" of religion is also irrelevent and a smokescreen.

Atheisim dosn't make people good as much as religion makes people bad.

People kill people regardless or despite of what they do or don't believe in; to try and quantify which groups are the worst is also irrelevent when the common factor across the board is humanity itself.

A this versus that standpoint achieves little in my mind.

Peace bro!

who killed bambi?

eboyd Date: Tuesday, 20/Oct/09, 12:58 PM | Message # 6

Heads
Let me state this as simple as possible so that I don't muddle my point in excess rhetoric.

I am not favoring one ideology to another. However, I am rationalizing that when an otherwise sane person commits an atrocity in the name of an ideology with an absolute moral code that explicitly condones that act, whether or not it could be interpreted otherwise or that specific command disregarded, that ideology can and should be held partially responsible for that person's act, although that person should, in the eyes of the law, incur 100% of the responsibility. In other words, the person should take 100% of the punitive and judicial responsibility, while the ideology he was operating under while committing the atrocity should face public scrutiny for that person's actions because it specifically commanded that person to commit said act.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

YANHAP1 Date: Tuesday, 20/Oct/09, 1:22 PM | Message # 7

DJs
Quote (eboyd)
In other words, the person should take 100% of the punitive and judicial responsibility,

Agree 100%

Quote (eboyd)
while the ideology he was operating under while committing the atrocity should face public scrutiny for that person's actions because it specifically commanded that person to commit said act.

That sounds to me like an absolute moral code.

By who...the thought police?

People have scrutinized these idea's since their conceptions....nothing's changed!

Shang Ti, regarded as the first emporer of China wiped out,it is believed, many beliefs and practices.They were scrutinized and found not to be of use to his vision of a unified China.
His quest was to bring peace, albeit with an iron hand, to a region plauged for near millenea by war famine and drought and inhabited by various cultures.
He took all their respective historical religious and cultural texts and burned those who did not fit his ideal.

Pol Pot tried the same with his Year Zero.

who killed bambi?

eboyd Date: Tuesday, 20/Oct/09, 3:08 PM | Message # 8

Heads
Did I suggest an absolute moral code? If I did I would have exclusively stated it and I apologize for not specifically stating otherwise because I know that is the mistake that many secularist atheists make. However, I am not endorsing that we shut down religion, but rather that we do exactly what Dawkins, Hitchens, Dennett, etc., are doing -- raising awareness of the faults of all religions. This is a fault that is serious and needs to be recognized by as many people as possible because it can potentially do two things (maybe more, but these two things specifically stand out in my mind): 1. Help the religion grow out of certain dogma and officially denounce certain scripture as false, thereby getting rid of the stigma of their blatantly immoral holy books or 2. Raise the awareness of the people and allow them to use their intellect to break the binds that religion has on them without forcing anyone to abandon them. The point was to negate the author of the article's point. He is saying that the atheist debaters and the religious debaters are wrong for bringing up death toll in debate. While I agree that bringing up the terrible things megalomaniacs like Hitler, Pol Pot, Stalin, Alexander The Great, etc., did in these debates is pointless, and for that reason I agree with the author, but to generalize and say bringing up death tolls is irrelevant is simply false when there are select instances of people committing atrocities based on bible or koran verses and the person is otherwise completely sane and used a literal interpretation of what that holy book said. If a sane person murders in the name of their religion and the murder correlates with a verse or teaching in that person's holy book or religious moral code as blatantly as the murder of Larry Hooper correlates with the verse in Deuteronomy that says to kill nonbelievers, that religion needs to be publicly scrutinized for it and that is the sort of death toll that counts.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

ill Date: Tuesday, 20/Oct/09, 4:54 PM | Message # 9

Emcees
i hate the way athiests are seen as a group, like theyre some group of bandits plotting against god or something.

The World Is Yours
YANHAP1 Date: Tuesday, 20/Oct/09, 5:43 PM | Message # 10

DJs
Quote (eboyd)
If a sane person murders in the name of their religion and the murder correlates with a verse or teaching in that person's holy book or religious moral code as blatantly as the murder of Larry Hooper correlates with the verse in Deuteronomy that says to kill nonbelievers, that religion needs to be publicly scrutinized for it and that is the sort of death toll that counts.

Actually it sounds quite extreme and sensationalist to me, as extreme as the verses quoted.

Many verses such as this arose in times of war and as such have historical context.Most sane people with some degree of education understand religious documents contain as much politics and propaganda relevent to the societies they arose from in the times they were dictated as they do messages of comfort and peace.

Bhagava Gita is a good example of this outside the Abrahamic sphere.

They all contain however a series of checks and balances.

Most balanced religious people find great commonality with other faiths and if anything compassion for non-believers.

These events are a failure in religious education and the result of actions of a simpleminded and extreme individuals.

If religious education is left in the hands of the religiously extreme and not dispensed soberly by an impartial state education system then these failures are bound to arise, couple that with isolationism though that said Quakers and Amish practioners of Christianity are peaceful religious devotees.

Religion plays too big a part in peoples lives for Goverments not to facilitate it, i found it baffling that a kid couldn't say "God bless" in the public school systen in D.C but in other states children are being taught creationism.

Scrutinize the lack of education that allows such people to establish and act on such beliefs.

I do know for example in Islam there are many progressive movements, infact Shi'ism facilitates self scrutiny by its very structure.

Unlike the so called "Orthodoxy" of the Sunnis no Shi'a can follow an interpretation of Sharia set down by a dead person, the understanding of laws are constantly reviewed generation after generation.
The Sunnis closed the doors of interpretation in the 12th century.

Is following a command to act whereby that command involves the killing of others by sane individuals morally permissible in an non religious context, ie the millitary?

Is there really a difference in belief of some ethereal master or belief in a command chain when ostensibly the outcome is the same.

How do you make an ideal responsible and if having achieved consensus to place some form of judgment how is it policed?

Peace bro!

who killed bambi?

I_Guy Date: Tuesday, 20/Oct/09, 6:10 PM | Message # 11

Heads
It is relevant because it emphasizes what defined ideologies are capable of influencing.

We all know that each of our end is near; the question is do we accept the end of our living existence, or do we accept our existence as dead men...
YANHAP1 Date: Tuesday, 20/Oct/09, 6:48 PM | Message # 12

DJs
Quote (I_Guy)
It is relevant because it emphasizes what defined ideologies are capable of influencing.

An irrational urge can have as much influence over the easily influenced and weak charactered than any ideology rational or otherwise.

Please give an example of societies that existed devoid of such concepts for a comparable timeline so we can ascertain just what the true effects are.

who killed bambi?

I_Guy Date: Tuesday, 20/Oct/09, 6:52 PM | Message # 13

Heads
It is relevant because defined ideologies provide a grounds by which to justify. Therefore giving the individual an excuse to act. If a simpleminded idiot who kills through passion by a delusion (such as the Larry Hooper case), then he can feel justified. It's not about the motive by ideology, it's about the ability to justify by ideology.

Quote (YANHAP1)
An irrational urge can have as much influence over the easily influenced and weak charactered than any ideology rational or otherwise.

Rational ideologies are much less likely to fault. Because usually other rational ideologies support other rational ideologies. If a person is truly rational, they will seek all rational ideologies. As far as I know, most rational ideologies, current, are without fault in any major (or harmful) way.

We all know that each of our end is near; the question is do we accept the end of our living existence, or do we accept our existence as dead men...
eboyd Date: Tuesday, 20/Oct/09, 6:56 PM | Message # 14

Heads
With all due respect YANHAP, you are passing judgments on me based on assumptions. You assume I base my morals on absolutes. Of course I recognize that killing is not a necessarily immoral act, like when your life or someone else's is in danger. There are exceptions to almost every rule and that is why religion and many other ideologies are so faulty. Religion bases it's morals on these absolute standards and, although people teach religion differently, a real and direct interpretation of the bible would lead to stonings and other violent and immoral acts for illogical reasons. And btw, the idea behind laws such as those that ban people from saying "God bless" are not at all meant for those purposes and that is stated explicitly. Such laws are to ban public, nonreligious schools from having prayer, bible study, etc., as a part of their curriculum and nothing else. It is not to say you are not allowed to do such things at school. Hell, they still have religion clubs at school. It simply bans the school from making it a part of what they do. Next step is to remove "under God" from the pledge of allegiance and I hear they are already removing "In God We Trust" from money. That is called bias. Anyways, I am going to have to still disagree. I don't understand where my logic is failing, if it is, and I would appreciate you pointing out the error of my ideas here. Otherwise, my opinion stands. Thanks for the presentation of your opinions btw.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

YANHAP1 Date: Tuesday, 20/Oct/09, 7:58 PM | Message # 15

DJs
Quote (I_Guy)
It is relevant because defined ideologies provide a grounds by which to justify. Therefore giving the individual an excuse to act. If a simpleminded idiot who kills through passion by a delusion (such as the Larry Hooper case), then he can feel justified. It's not about the motive by ideology, it's about the ability to justify by ideology.

Whos ability? The simple minded idiot? Is that the base of understanding around which any ideology must be constructed upon?

Quote (YANHAP1)

Quote (I_Guy)
Rational ideologies are much less likely to fault. Because usually other rational ideologies support other rational ideologies. If a person is truly rational, they will seek all rational ideologies. As far as I know, all rational ideologies, current, are without fault in any major (or harmful) way.

I totally agree, on paper fine. Show me though a society full of rational people who have put these ideals into action sucessfully.

I find it irrational that anyone with ideals absolute or not could believe this anymore possible than the improbability of Jesus floating down from a cloud to raise believers a smite wrongdoers.

Put real people in the equation and utopian models soon break down.

Added (20/Oct/09, 7:58 Pm)
---------------------------------------------

Quote (eboyd)
With all due respect YANHAP, you are passing judgments on me based on assumptions. You assume I base my morals on absolutes. Of course I recognize that killing is not a necessarily immoral act, like when your life or someone else's is in danger. There are exceptions to almost every rule and that is why religion and many other ideologies are so faulty. Religion bases it's morals on these absolute standards and, although people teach religion differently, a real and direct interpretation of the bible would lead to stonings and other violent and immoral acts for illogical reasons. And btw, the idea behind laws such as those that ban people from saying "God bless" are not at all meant for those purposes and that is stated explicitly. Such laws are to ban public, nonreligious schools from having prayer, bible study, etc., as a part of their curriculum and nothing else. It is not to say you are not allowed to do such things at school. Hell, they still have religion clubs at school. It simply bans the school from making it a part of what they do. Next step is to remove "under God" from the pledge of allegiance and I hear they are already removing "In God We Trust" from money. That is called bias. Anyways, I am going to have to still disagree. I don't understand where my logic is failing, if it is, and I would appreciate you pointing out the error of my ideas here. Otherwise, my opinion stands. Thanks for the presentation of your opinions btw.

Fair enough bro, i'm not trying to change your mind.

But has it escaped every one that the vast majority of humans are illogical irrational creatures?

First lesson i learned from Star Trek.

Though it seems i may be in a minority here that's actually comfortable with that.

I'm not passing judgement on you and i'm sorry if i gave that impression.

What i find difficult are utopian concepts that have had no real effect on societies as developed since the emergance of humanity from hunter gathering to subsistance farming.

To put a belief system in the dock on the basis that some halfwit feels justified enough by an out of context edict to commit murder is too much.....for me at least anyway.

Call me old fashioned or just plain stupid but this is what you're up against......and there's more of us!!

LMAO!!!

Peace bro.

who killed bambi?

Forum » Knowledge » Religious/Philosophical Debate » Atheist/Religious Death Toll Comparisons Are Irrelevant?
  • Page 1 of 9
  • »
Search: