[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]

Login:
Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
  • Page 9 of 9
  • «
Forum moderator: TheWatcher, Menace, I_Guy, Aristotle  
Forum » Knowledge » Religious/Philosophical Debate » Atheist/Religious Death Toll Comparisons Are Irrelevant?
Atheist/Religious Death Toll Comparisons Are Irrelevant?
Watcher Date: Monday, 23/Nov/09, 10:33 AM | Message # 121

Watchers
[quote=I_Guy]Extreme case does not equal case closed. [/quote]

By definition, any case of a parent killing a child would, I hope, be an extreme case. This was meant only to illustrate that there MIGHT be a real-life imaginable scenario, whether present-day or in biblical times, under which a parent might go to such an extreme, and was offered in response to the statement that such a deed could NEVER be considered by a parent.

eboyd Date: Monday, 23/Nov/09, 2:23 PM | Message # 122

Heads
Quote (Watcher)
By definition, any case of a parent killing a child would, I hope, be an extreme case. This was meant only to illustrate that there MIGHT be a real-life imaginable scenario, whether present-day or in biblical times, under which a parent might go to such an extreme, and was offered in response to the statement that such a deed could NEVER be considered by a parent.

I would never put an absolute on something like that. What I said, which you so obviously ignored, was that what Jesus said implied that kids should be put to death for cursing their parents which, at best, due to the definition of the word and it's etymology showing that it actually has a harsher connotation today than it did in history, means that kids are to be put to death for things so harsh as murdering their parents, but also for far less severe crimes such as disobedience.

And sodr, I haven't forgotten about you. I'll get to it.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Menace Date: Monday, 23/Nov/09, 3:17 PM | Message # 123

Heads
Quote (sodr2)
im willing to accept that some orthodox teachings may be wrong in favor of catholicism.....

anyways, "my" Christianity dates back to the apostolic age, the sacraments, the church, etc, founded by the apostles,

The Christian church didn't start as a monolith as you think they started as small cults the cults that survived formed the first big church . The First Council of Nicae and the creation of the church was in 325 AD . 325 years after the presumed crucifixion of Jesus. There is NO direct connection between Jesus or his apostles and the first council of nicae or Emperor Constantine. Between the Crucifixion of Jesus (c.26-36) and the First Council of Nicaea in 325 there was NO CHRISTIAN CHURCH there were only cults . So HISTORY tells us that your Church is not valid either because we can't find a solid HISTORICAL connection between the fathers of the early church and Jesus and his apostles .

I_Guy Date: Monday, 23/Nov/09, 5:09 PM | Message # 124

Heads
Quote (Watcher)

So the point is what? Killing children can be okay sometimes? How does this relate to the bible passage?

We all know that each of our end is near; the question is do we accept the end of our living existence, or do we accept our existence as dead men...
s0dr2 Date: Monday, 23/Nov/09, 5:19 PM | Message # 125

OGs
so menace.....who are the people who lived before 325 ad in the list of patriarchs? are they fictional?

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

Menace Date: Monday, 23/Nov/09, 6:03 PM | Message # 126

Heads
Quote (sodr2)
tell me what you think about this as opposed to this or this or this or this

Early Christianity (c. 30 – 325)

It seems that at first the terms 'episcopos' and 'presbyter' were used interchangeably. The general consensus among scholars has been that, at the turn of the first and second centuries, local congregations were led by bishops and presbyters whose offices were overlapping or indistinguishable. Some sources believe that there was probably no single 'monarchical' bishop in Rome before the middle of the second century ... and likely later."

Forum » Knowledge » Religious/Philosophical Debate » Atheist/Religious Death Toll Comparisons Are Irrelevant?
  • Page 9 of 9
  • «
Search: