[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]

Login:
Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
Forum moderator: TheWatcher, Menace, I_Guy, Aristotle  
Forum » Knowledge » Religious/Philosophical Debate » Atheist/Religious Death Toll Comparisons Are Irrelevant?
Atheist/Religious Death Toll Comparisons Are Irrelevant?
eboyd Date: Sunday, 22/Nov/09, 6:09 PM | Message # 91

Heads
Quote (sodr2)
the church exists for a reason.. outside of it, you can interpret scripture however you want

when things such as those i posted above are so clear, how can the church interpret it any differently???? besides, the Westboro Baptist Church is an actual church. they interpret things in that way. how is their interpretation any less valid than any other church's?

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

s0dr2 Date: Sunday, 22/Nov/09, 6:12 PM | Message # 92

OGs
Quote (eboyd)
those are DIRECTLY FROM THE BIBLE! how is quotation equivalent to interpretation???????? huh

Quote (eboyd)
For truly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass the law until all is accomplished. Whoever then relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but he who does them and teaches them shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.” (Matthew 5:18-19 RSV)

you say this verse proves that the OT laws still stand...well it doesn`t stand, we are not under those laws, so how can this verse states that the OT laws still stand ...do you think this is how the church sees this verse

Added (22/Nov/09, 6:12 Pm)
---------------------------------------------

Quote (eboyd)
how is their interpretation any less valid than any other church's?

%)
Jesus founded his church on Peter and the Apostles

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

eboyd Date: Sunday, 22/Nov/09, 6:16 PM | Message # 93

Heads
btw, the only other way to interpret this:

Quote (eboyd)
"Whoever curses father or mother shall die" (Mark 7:10 NAB)

would be by saying "the bible is saying that this person will die. that is all" which is pretty much equivalent, in a sense to this statement: "whoever is a human shall have been born." i guess interpretations of redundancy/reference to the obvious are better than interpretations resulting in murder, but that doesn't make them any more correct than literal interpretations. oh, of course, a Christian would say "that was only in context of the times" but when would the murder of disobedient children ever be acceptable? i would condemn anyone who does so, no matter what time frame we are talking about.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

eboyd Date: Sunday, 22/Nov/09, 6:21 PM | Message # 94

Heads
Quote (sodr2)
you say this verse proves that the OT laws still stand...well it doesn`t stand, we are not under those laws, so how can this verse states that the OT laws still stand ...do you think this is how the church sees this verse

the verse is in such plain English that you would have to be retarded to think otherwise. your church would tell you that it is only referring to the "commandments" that are mentioned which would be the ten commandments, but in no scripts does it make it clear that this is only speaking of the ten commandments, but rather the entire law of the old testament, and so any interpretation that follows from this is valid, though it may not be agreed upon to be correct.

Quote (sodr2)
Jesus founded his church on Peter and the Apostles

and who are you to say that the Westboro Baptist Church disagrees with that? i'd say that they are probably just as founded on Peter and the Apostles, if not more so, as any church and that they would argue tha to death with you.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

s0dr2 Date: Sunday, 22/Nov/09, 6:24 PM | Message # 95

OGs
do you think hell is acceptable?

Added (22/Nov/09, 6:24 Pm)

Quote (eboyd)
and who are you to say that the Westboro Baptist Church disagrees with that? i'd say that they are probably just as founded on Peter and the Apostles, if not more so, as any church and that they would argue tha to death with you.

lol

here, knock yourself out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentarchy_%28Christianity%29

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

eboyd Date: Sunday, 22/Nov/09, 6:25 PM | Message # 96

Heads
Quote (sodr2)

by my personal morals, absolutely not. unless this is leading to a point and not side tracking the conversation, that is irrelevant though.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Menace Date: Sunday, 22/Nov/09, 6:28 PM | Message # 97

Heads
Quote (sodr2)

the church would enact these laws and other cannonical laws but they can't because we are living in a SECULAR society 300 years ago such laws existed and were enacted the church is not absolute either

Watcher Date: Sunday, 22/Nov/09, 6:29 PM | Message # 98

Watchers
[quote=eboyd]when would the murder of disobedient children ever be acceptable?[/quote]

Obviously, you have never had children (jk!)

Again, as previously illustrated by others, scripture should be taken in context of the time, the author, etc., to understand the meaning and intent.

The overwhelming majority of present-day believing Christians have no desire to harm anyone, nor would they do so to satisfy any muddled interpretation of scripture. The individual who does is an aberration.

eboyd Date: Sunday, 22/Nov/09, 6:29 PM | Message # 99

Heads
Quote (sodr2)

ok, so then the Christianity you practice is heretical because it is not within the five sees. either that or you are practicing a form of Christianity that is branched from the five sees, by which we could say the same for the Westboro Baptist Church. unless... do you see the Baptist branch of Christianity as heretical???

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

eboyd Date: Sunday, 22/Nov/09, 6:33 PM | Message # 100

Heads
Quote (Watcher)
Again, as previously illustrated by others, scripture should be taken in context of the time, the author, etc., to understand the meaning and intent.

and again, i refer you to my argument that already refuted this in which i stated that there is no time in which i would consider the murder of children for disobedience acceptable, not even biblical times and fyi, that was me that provided you with that refutation of my own point so that i could refute it BEFORE you decided to bring it up.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

s0dr2 Date: Sunday, 22/Nov/09, 6:38 PM | Message # 101

OGs
Quote (eboyd)
ok, so then the Christianity you practice is heretical because it is not within the five sees. either that or you are practicing a form of Christianity that is branched from the five sees, by which we could say the same for the Westboro Baptist Church. unless... do you see the Baptist branch of Christianity as heretical???

i belong to the patriarch of alexandria ... and the baptist (and protestant) branch of christianity...i see them as...deficient

Menace Date: Sunday, 22/Nov/09, 6:42 PM | Message # 102

Heads
Quote (sodr2)

Added (22/Nov/09, 6:24 Pm)
Quote (eboyd)

lol

here, knock yourself out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentarchy_%28Christianity%29

the schism showed that pentarchy failed . The present article considers the five sees viewed as jointly governing the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church. For information on each of these five sees individually, see Rome, Constantinople, Alexandria, Antioch, and Jerusalem respectively. You support these churches because they are in the original one but the protestants were part of the Catholic Church and they broke of out some time ago so by the logic of this article every church that traces her roots to the original church is LEGITIMATE .

Quote (Watcher)
The overwhelming majority of present-day believing Christians have no desire to harm anyone, nor would they do so to satisfy any muddled interpretation of scripture. The individual who does is an aberration.

the individual that did what he did is not an aberration he did what you do he took bits and pieces of the bible and interpreted them. As you took some good bits and pieces and interpret them he takes some bad bad bits and pieces and interpret them . The Bible itself needs to be again reformed as it was some time ago so it can't harness certain dark parts of certain individuals

eboyd Date: Sunday, 22/Nov/09, 6:43 PM | Message # 103

Heads
Quote (sodr2)
i belong to the patriarch of alexandria ... and the baptist (and protestant) branch of christianity...i see them as...deficient

so 85% of the US follows a heretical form of Christianity (according to your article these forms were considered heretical)????? you would be considered, by many, for that statement, a fringe component and an extremist, but i guess that's ok with you.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

s0dr2 Date: Sunday, 22/Nov/09, 6:46 PM | Message # 104

OGs
Quote (eboyd)
so 85% of the US follows a heretical form of Christianity (according to your article these forms were considered heretical)????? you would be considered, by many, for that statement, a fringe component and an extremist, but i guess that's ok with you.

me? or the catholic and the orthodox churches? i can say this or that religion is deficient or even false, but that has nothing to do whether theyre 'saved' or not......

and so what if 100% of the US followed a heretical form of Christianity?

eboyd Date: Sunday, 22/Nov/09, 6:50 PM | Message # 105

Heads
Quote (sodr2)
me? or the catholic and the orthodox churches? i can say this or that religion is deficient or even false, but that has nothing to do whether theyre 'saved' or not......

both. them for claiming that to be the truth and you for following them. and even if it was just them, why would you follow an extremist church?

Quote (sodr2)
and so what if 100% of the US followed a heretical form of Christianity?

???? no Christian wants to be a heretic. if Christianity is true, and your article is true, then that means everyone in the US is of the devil! why would God allow that????

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Forum » Knowledge » Religious/Philosophical Debate » Atheist/Religious Death Toll Comparisons Are Irrelevant?
Search: