[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]

Login:
Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
Forum moderator: TheWatcher, Menace, I_Guy, Aristotle  
Forum » Knowledge » Religious/Philosophical Debate » Atheist/Religious Death Toll Comparisons Are Irrelevant?
Atheist/Religious Death Toll Comparisons Are Irrelevant?
eboyd Date: Tuesday, 20/Oct/09, 8:20 PM | Message # 16

Heads
Quote (YANHAP)
To put a belief system in the dock on the basis that some halfwit feels justified enough by an out of context edict to commit murder is too much.....for me at least anyway.

Here's the issue. I'm not trying to put it in dock, but rather promoting making people think critically by speaking out about such issues publicly. That is what Dawkins et al are doing and what the author of this article is saying is a bad thing and I think we need more people to be critical of religion. They should be equally critical of Atheism. However, this flaw is one that is solely coming from the religious end and religious people try to throw it back in our faces like atheism has the same issue by default. Either way, discussing it is the key, whether or not religious people fallaciously throw it back at us. Religion has gone too long unquestioned. Everything needs to be questioned. The more we question religion, the more we take leaps and bounds towards rationality.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

YANHAP1 Date: Tuesday, 20/Oct/09, 9:01 PM | Message # 17

DJs
Yeah i'm hearing you E.

But as you say it is erroneous to deal in absolutes, i feel more than think so i don't play the logic game too easily.

And i feel that the failure of religion is the failure of its practitioners as is the failure of any system that has actually been put to practice.

To focus on shortcomings is as unbalanced as focus on benefits.

I don't believe in a cure all but question and discussion is always a good thing, awareness is key.

PEACE AND THANKS!!!!

who killed bambi?

eboyd Date: Tuesday, 20/Oct/09, 9:58 PM | Message # 18

Heads
Here's the thing though, we are making decisions based on a "status quo", especially in America, that says we are a Christian nation. It simply needs to be challenged. Everyone needs to recognize that we are a secular nation based on secular principles and we need to value science because it will lead us to a better understanding of what is going on and what has happened and the more we accept religion as a country the more we reject science because science contradicts the religions. If we value science we progress. If we progress we grow intellectually and are able to rationalize better so that we can all do a better job of practicing a specific ideology. If we reject science we reject truth and logic. Ok, I'm tired. I think that's it but I'm so tired that I'm incapable of looking it over to make sure that I wrote it all precisely.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

I_Guy Date: Tuesday, 20/Oct/09, 11:34 PM | Message # 19

Heads
Quote (YANHAP1)
I totally agree, on paper fine. Show me though a society full of rational people who have put these ideals into action sucessfully.

No, but what's your point again? I can't provide an example because...
Quote (YANHAP1)
But has it escaped every one that the vast majority of humans are illogical irrational creatures?

Very true. The root of the problem.

Quote (eboyd)
Here's the thing though, we are making decisions based on a "status quo", especially in America, that says we are a Christian nation. It simply needs to be challenged. Everyone needs to recognize that we are a secular nation based on secular principles and we need to value science because it will lead us to a better understanding of what is going on and what has happened and the more we accept religion as a country the more we reject science because science contradicts the religions. If we value science we progress. If we progress we grow intellectually and are able to rationalize better so that we can all do a better job of practicing a specific ideology. If we reject science we reject truth and logic. Ok, I'm tired. I think that's it but I'm so tired that I'm incapable of looking it over to make sure that I wrote it all precisely.

This is why I'm pretty much an antitheist.

We all know that each of our end is near; the question is do we accept the end of our living existence, or do we accept our existence as dead men...
I_Guy Date: Tuesday, 20/Oct/09, 11:52 PM | Message # 20

Heads
Don't know if anyone has seen this. It's pretty scary that there are people out there like this.

We all know that each of our end is near; the question is do we accept the end of our living existence, or do we accept our existence as dead men...
I_Guy Date: Wednesday, 21/Oct/09, 0:48 AM | Message # 21

Heads
Quote (Joker13)
i guy have you ever watched the infidel guys show ?

I can't say I have.

EmSeeD Date: Wednesday, 21/Oct/09, 2:09 AM | Message # 22

Heads
Quote (I_Guy)
Don't know if anyone has seen this. It's pretty scary that there are people out there like this.

yeah people like that are why i made that "Dangers of right wing extremists growth" or something like that anyway, coz there are a lot of people like that around, its these stupid televangelist type churchs that are polluting their minds, stirring fear in them and then taking their money

http://chirbit.com/emseed
http://youtube.com/siwooot
s0dr2 Date: Wednesday, 21/Oct/09, 9:15 AM | Message # 23

OGs
Did you know... Disobedience to God is the reason for suffering? (There's no point for saying this, I'm just putting it out there).

Anyways...

However, there are specialized cases where religion CAN be blamed for murder where two people would have been friends otherwise but their convictions led them to do something horrible. One example was that of Larry Hooper. Hooper was an atheist and his roommate a Christian fundamentalist. Larry revealed his nonbelief to his roommate and the roommate proceeded to blow his head off with a shotgun.

So I assume you also believe that Satan who used to be an angel of God and Judas who used to be a disciple of God, because they were simply labeled as followers of God, that their actions were approved by Him? I don't think so.

Because Mr. Hooper's murderer was simply acting directly upon what his holy book states.

You know... I don't think Jesus condemned any sinner, taxcollecter, etc in the Bible except for the Pharisees (teachers of the Law) for their misinterpretation of the scriptures. They were hypocrites who condemned others and failed to recognize their own sinfulness, just like this Christian roommate of Hooper's. And if you are referring to the OT, where sinners were stoned (their punishments being known ahead of time), keep in mind, that after Jesus, a sinner will still undergo punishment, but will be postponed after they die assuming they are unrepentant, so it is for God to judge and decide, not us. So I don't see why you say Christianity should be scrutinized, when it's the parents that need to be.

Quote (eboyd)
He is saying that the atheist debaters and the religious debaters are wrong for bringing up death toll in debate.

I'll have to agree with that as well as with this one person who commented on that article:

What it comes down to is that powerful regimes/institutions/etc., often abuse that power, whether they are religious, simply secular, or atheist.
The most powerful institutions, governments, (whether backed by religions or not), have murdered millions of innocent people. Some interesting research on this has been conducted by the author of "Death by Government".
My conclusion is that the power of such institutions should be limited as much as is possible.
Also, the arguments about which is the greatest evil in this regard, religion or atheism is a smoke screen used to denigrate the opposition and thereby gather more power.

The Heretic, Seattle
December 04, 2007 7:14am

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

eboyd Date: Wednesday, 21/Oct/09, 3:24 PM | Message # 24

Heads
Sodr, my whole point is that a lack of belief in a God doesn't have doctrinal law and, in fact, most atheists promote finding ethics through logic so that each individual has an idea of what is rational and many end up taking completely opposing views on certain things, even though their logic often leads them to the same conclusions. Therefore, a lack of belief in a God or Gods CANNOT lead to action of any kind. Religion, however, is a belief, and on top of that, it has it's own specialized and objective moral code. It can and will lead to action and when people do things in the name of religion, or any other belief system, some blame can and will be placed in that ideologies' court, especially when there are so many different interpretations of said moral code and at some point in that moral code, violent, immoral ideas like stoning nonbelievers is promoted, even though most people disagree with such teachings. This is basically just me as a nonbeliever justifying me and other nonbelievers logically and calmly scrutinizing religion.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

s0dr2 Date: Wednesday, 21/Oct/09, 4:20 PM | Message # 25

OGs
Quote (eboyd)
Therefore, a lack of belief in a God or Gods CANNOT lead to action of any kind.

I agree... but then again, it can lead people to be indifferent towards others.

Quote (eboyd)
Religion, however, is a belief, and on top of that, it has it's own specialized and objective moral code. It can and will lead to action and when people do things in the name of religion, or any other belief system, some blame can and will be placed in that ideologies' court, especially when there are so many different interpretations of said moral code and at some point in that moral code, violent, immoral ideas like stoning nonbelievers is promoted, even though most people disagree with such teachings.

What do you think of this analogy: If I play a piece of Mozart's music, and I play it badly, are you going to criticize me or Mozart? I'd say "scrutinize" the music teacher. Yes, you will have people playing his music badly, but so what? What does Mozart have to do with it? Don't blame him, blame human nature.

----
By the way, do you still think that Christianity is to blame for Larry Hooper's death?

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

Message edited by sodr2 - Wednesday, 21/Oct/09, 4:29 PM
I_Guy Date: Wednesday, 21/Oct/09, 4:28 PM | Message # 26

Heads
Quote (sodr2)
Judas

Judas was a hero.

Quote (sodr2)
What do you think of this analogy: If I play a piece of Mozart's music, and I play it badly, are you going to criticize me or Mozart?

Bad analogy. Because their is no ambiguity in Mozart's music. There is no interpretation. The notes are to be specifically played as they appear. However, the Bible does suffer from ambiguity. Thus, interpretation.

s0dr2 Date: Wednesday, 21/Oct/09, 4:35 PM | Message # 27

OGs
Oh, so interpretation is the problem.......

Quote (I_Guy)
Thus, interpretation.

Interpretations, contradictions, etc are all reasons why the Church is there. So criticize those outside of it who interpret the Bible for themselves.

Message edited by sodr2 - Wednesday, 21/Oct/09, 4:40 PM
I_Guy Date: Wednesday, 21/Oct/09, 4:44 PM | Message # 28

Heads
Quote (sodr2)
Interpretations, contradictions, etc are all reasons why the Church is there. So criticize those outside of it who interpret the Bible for themselves.

That's the problem. This ideology is open to interpretation therefore it is inherently flawed and is due for criticism. The churches teach this flawed ideology. As long as it remains flawed (forever) then we will have outlandish interpretations.

It is because its tenets are intended to be absolute, therein lays the problem.

Menace Date: Thursday, 22/Oct/09, 7:55 PM | Message # 29

Heads
Quote (I_Guy)
That's the problem. This ideology is open to interpretation therefore it is inherently flawed and is due for criticism. The churches teach this flawed ideology. As long as it remains flawed (forever) then we will have outlandish interpretations.

It is because its tenets are intended to be absolute, therein lays the problem.

exactly

and as for this thread the absence of progressive ideas from doctrinal , dogmatic societies led to atrocities and genocides atheism and atheisms brother as secular humanism for example never led or will lead to any kind of atrocity Marxist states didn't kill in the name of "ATHEISM" in fact they disregarded secular humanism , moral relativism and many brother ideas related to atheism. Marxist states killed in the name of the working class or more common in the name of the collective power of the people so let's blame the working class or the masses for the Marxist genocides no ? Atheism and atheisms related ideas can't lead to bad things because they are not absolute there are relative and relativist in nature they can't be used as a doctrinal system because they are too relative and flexible people have a bullshit misconception about atheism and atheisms related ideas

YANHAP1 Date: Friday, 23/Oct/09, 2:55 PM | Message # 30

DJs
Quote (Menace)
Marxist states killed in the name of the working class or more common in the name of the collective power of the people so let's blame the working class or the masses for the Marxist genocides no ?

So lets blame people for killing people and not the idea/ideal that united them?

Quote (Menace)
people have a bullshit misconception about atheism and atheisms related ideas

Surely a failure by atheists to construct pallatable informative discourse over a broad spectrum of intellectual capacity.

Perhaps because the lack of locus, other than the idea of unlikely possibility of a God, to draw people to.

Quote (Menace)
the absence of progressive ideas from doctrinal , dogmatic societies led to atrocities and genocides

Attacking peoples beliefs on the basis of absolutism is both dogmatic and absolute; in that attack is not reconcilliatory, does not take into consideration individual and social differences and comes from what is asserted in an authoritive and unchallengeable fashion.

Religion=Absolute=culpable for atrocity.

Perhaps some Atheists would do better to appeal to the less extreme practioners of religion, by being less confrontational, to rein in or isolate extremists (if that is the worry of concerned atheists) rather than lambast thier chosen religion/s and followers by association.

On a more basic note how can you reason with the unreasonable?

I've only witnessed here extreme and negative examples of religious persuasion presented to argue against it.....rather unbalanced in my opinion.

Most successful if not all religions started as movements of social reform, which were relatively progressive in comparison to the status quo and enviromental conditions they stood against.

Why are atheists failing in this respect?

They also amassed a vast array of creative artistic and cultural practices associated to and inspired by them or there respective God/s/esses providing purpose oppertunity and even health benefits to countless individuals.

Paradoxically perhaps Atheists need a messiah of sorts....LMAO!!!, even if Atheism does not.

What's the difference between misquoting intelligence reports and misquoting religious text to propagate atrocity?

To say that society needs to move away from the political constructs that allow this is fair enough, how is that going to be reasonably achieved on a global scale without bloodshed in form or another?

Pie in the sky utopian conceptions offering nothing except false hope to gullible people beguiled by the spell of superior intellect.

Nagasaki and Hiroshima were not planned by nor carried out by religious men on a religious crusade.
The construction and deployment of such technology came about through the actions of scientific and rationally minded men.

The technologies that have led to the ever increasing global climate change and increasingly unsustainable population growth have came about through the advancements of the rational with no underlying religious tenents driving them.

The invention of nuclear weapons and the ever increasing demand on finite resources pose a far greater threat to humanity than religious fundmentalism, even if fundamentalists were to acquire them the actualization of the science made it possible.

Thermobaric weponary also designed and deployed with no irrational absolute moral code behind them.

Atheism is a non entity so as such cannot be blamed for anything, true, but what comfort will it bring as the security of nation states find themselves threatened more by the lack of resources on a Global scale than by idealists of any creed?

No doubt it will be rationally and relatively moral to murder for survival when, as looks likely in the not too distant future, humanity may well be driven to do so for food and clean water.

Not a position that God or lack of therin puts us in, in which case what does the arguement achieve?

who killed bambi?

Forum » Knowledge » Religious/Philosophical Debate » Atheist/Religious Death Toll Comparisons Are Irrelevant?
Search: