[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]

Login:
Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
Forum moderator: TheWatcher, Menace, I_Guy, Aristotle  
Forum » Knowledge » Religious/Philosophical Debate » Atheist/Religious Death Toll Comparisons Are Irrelevant?
Atheist/Religious Death Toll Comparisons Are Irrelevant?
YANHAP1 Date: Friday, 23/Oct/09, 7:29 PM | Message # 46

DJs
ooooo mabey they're illuminati.....LMAO!!!

Some folks don't need justification.

Are people incapable of acting without religious justification?

Remove religion from the equation and some group or other would find another tale to spin.

Quote (I_Guy)

No one could do what they are doing without religion. Well they could, but they would be thrown out immediately without question

Depends on the pitch and remuneration.Work to end the lobby system, the money is pennies in relation to AIPAC and they own everyone.

Did you edit your message? i didn't get all of it first time.

Added (23/Oct/09, 7:29 Pm)
---------------------------------------------

Quote (sodr2)
okay, that makes St John a prophet... and?

What need would God have to send a Prophet if he had presented himself to humanity to propagate his message in person.

Did God forget something?

who killed bambi?

s0dr2 Date: Friday, 23/Oct/09, 8:30 PM | Message # 47

OGs
Quote (YANHAP1)
What need would God have to send a Prophet if he had presented himself to humanity to propagate his message in person.

uh...hello....Jesus Christ??

besides, how do you suppose he `presents`himself to humanity for thousands of people for thousands of years? thats pointless anyways. sending a prophet accomplishes preaching His message, theres no problems with that, other than your complaint of wanting God to hold you by the hand and pleasing you however you wish

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

eboyd Date: Friday, 23/Oct/09, 11:05 PM | Message # 48

Heads
Sodr, God has not presented himself in any way, ever in my life. There is no evidence that he has ever actually presented himself that hasn't been refuted by a scientist at some point actually. I tell you what. I have a challenge for you. If he is a just God and he really exists, it is not fair that he "presents" himself to you as evidence of his existence but not me, because while he refuses to present himself to me he makes it impossible for me to believe. Do me a favor. Pray to him that he presents the same evidence to me that he has presented to you so that I believe in him. If he does I will instantly become a believer.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

YANHAP1 Date: Saturday, 24/Oct/09, 6:59 AM | Message # 49

DJs
Quote (sodr2)
Quote (YANHAP1)

uh...hello....Jesus Christ??

In the tradition of prophets preceeding the birth of Jesus there was roughly one or two prophets per generation.
What i had stated above, though you didn't grasp it, was as Jesus was on the earth and your belief is he was God as he was amongst people at that time, in the flesh, to dispense his message to, personally, what did he forget to tell every one that had to be amended by a discussion between Peter and Paul.

Is God fallible?

Your explaination of your notion of God seems to accomodate that possibility.

Quote (sodr2)
besides, how do you suppose he `presents`himself to humanity for thousands of people for thousands of years? thats pointless anyways. sending a prophet accomplishes preaching His message,

Granted in the tradition (which Jesus saught to uphold) in lack of Gods immediacy prophets are sent to maintain his word within the living memory. However if Jesus was God, his message was presented personally and within the context of Paul and Peters discussion that personal message was still within living memory.

So you are saying that God had an afterthought and passed it on later?

God forgot, not only that, he changed his mind?

Quote (sodr2)
theres no problems with that, other than your complaint of wanting God to hold you by the hand and pleasing you however you wish

????????Where was that stated by me, implicit or explicitly?

who killed bambi?

Message edited by YANHAP1 - Saturday, 24/Oct/09, 7:01 AM
s0dr2 Date: Saturday, 24/Oct/09, 9:37 AM | Message # 50

OGs
Quote (YANHAP1)

oh, if he had ALREADY presented himself, what would be the point of the prophets before him.... well the prophets before him did not preach salvation because that was to come with Jesus, and that was his main message "the Good News"... the prophets still had to deliver God's message about the commandments and prophecies and whatnot

Quote (YANHAP1)
Granted in the tradition (which Jesus saught to uphold) in lack of Gods immediacy prophets are sent to maintain his word within the living memory. However if Jesus was God, his message was presented personally and within the context of Paul and Peters discussion that personal message was still within living memory.
So you are saying that God had an afterthought and passed it on later?
God forgot, not only that, he changed his mind?

God's main message was salvation, and we have all the means of receiving it now.... what Peter and Paul discussed is secondary...what do you mean by God changing his mind?

Quote (YANHAP1)
????????Where was that stated by me, implicit or explicitly?

i misinterpreted you

Quote (eboyd)
Sodr, God has not presented himself in any way, ever in my life. There is no evidence that he has ever actually presented himself that hasn't been refuted by a scientist at some point actually. I tell you what. I have a challenge for you. If he is a just God and he really exists, it is not fair that he "presents" himself to you as evidence of his existence but not me, because while he refuses to present himself to me he makes it impossible for me to believe. Do me a favor. Pray to him that he presents the same evidence to me that he has presented to you so that I believe in him. If he does I will instantly become a believer.

i dont believe because God has "presented himself" to me, but I just have a question... what will make you come to believe in God? (and youre right, prayer can work)

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

eboyd Date: Saturday, 24/Oct/09, 12:35 PM | Message # 51

Heads
^^^ exactly! Probably because it's the one that the masses follow.

Anyways, here are a few ways I would come to believe:

1. If God presented me IRREFUTABLE evidence that he/she/it exists.

2. If an exorcism was performed on me and I lost my ability to control myself and the devil/a demon started speaking through me.

3. If a voice came into my head that said something super specific that predicted something that no person could possibly guess like "on November 5th at 9:53AM Michael Jordan is going to be murdered by Magic Johnson. Johnson is going to chop his head off with a machete" and on the news when that day comes it says "at 9:53 today, Magic Johnson chopped Michael Jordan's head off with a machete".

4. If a Christian wishes something specific upon me, like that I will die of a heart attack right then and there for being a nonbeliever, and I instantly begin going into cardiac arrest or if I was permanently bound to a wheelchair and a Christian wished that I can walk again and I instantly am able to stand.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

eboyd Date: Saturday, 24/Oct/09, 12:39 PM | Message # 52

Heads
And btw, from your comment, you have no evidence for God, not even personal experiential evidence (ie: he revealed himself to you through conversation, performed a miracle in your life, appeared somewhere, etc.), so why do you take his word on blind faith especially when you have as much evidence for his existence as I do?

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

s0dr2 Date: Saturday, 24/Oct/09, 3:32 PM | Message # 53

OGs
i never said i have no evidence, i was getting to that...

ok, now what do you think about this:

if any god that demanded worship did exist, he would obviously make his existence clear to us... so then, why do you think he would give us clues and evidence for us to work and struggle with to come to the conclusion that he exist? he would rather straight forwardly reveal himself to us, and this is the case of Christianity: God has revealed himself to Moses and the prophets throughout the centuries, and revealed himself again through Jesus Christ.

the Bible says: "He said to him, 'If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead.' "

that tells me that extraordinary miracles like youve listed in order to believe is not the way of God.... so id look into the Bible and read it again... btw i know people who have converted by books other than the Bible like "mere Christanity" by cs. lewis or Thomas Aquinas' arguments for God, so id look into those things as well

Quote (eboyd)
And btw, from your comment, you have no evidence for God, not even personal experiential evidence (ie: he revealed himself to you through conversation, performed a miracle in your life, appeared somewhere, etc.), so why do you take his word on blind faith especially when you have as much evidence for his existence as I do?

well, ive heard several "experiential evidence" from others who had a miracle performed in their life (there are even books published documenting these miracles), and there are several more famous miracles out there

Adam Date: Saturday, 24/Oct/09, 6:08 PM | Message # 54

B-Girls
How come you guys mess with religion so much. Can't we just handle this school style, and stfu.

I JUST EXPLODED INTO RAINBOWS AND LOLLIPOPS!
eboyd Date: Saturday, 24/Oct/09, 7:26 PM | Message # 55

Heads
School style? huh

Anyways, sodr, I will definitely look into those books when I have time, however, I've already heard many logical refutations of them and everyone that has responded to these refutations have come with logical fallacies, most often circular logic (ie: "God exists and that's why I have faith... (Later in the convo) having faith proves God exists" -- the circular arguments are usually more complex than that though).

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Adam Date: Saturday, 24/Oct/09, 9:26 PM | Message # 56

B-Girls
You know, in school you can't express or talk about religion god etc.

eboyd Date: Saturday, 24/Oct/09, 9:36 PM | Message # 57

Heads
That's bullshit. A school just can't mandate prayer or religious activity unless it's a private school. I've had religious convo in class plenty of times. Hell, my tenth grade health teacher was an evangelical christian and he would use his belief in God to convince us that abortion was wrong. He's been there for 30 years and is still there. And at my junior college in philosophy class our teacher, who is an atheist, would always bring up arguments against God. And he's the head of the philosophy and ethics departments! It's fine to talk about religion.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Adam Date: Saturday, 24/Oct/09, 10:24 PM | Message # 58

B-Girls
Well in my school we don't talk about beliefs. We can't teach evolution either.

eboyd Date: Saturday, 24/Oct/09, 10:36 PM | Message # 59

Heads
:o

That's terrible! You need to complain! Or do you go to a religious school? If you do then you are fucked. But seriously dude, evolution is a fact and I believe it is legally required to be taught at public schools in most states. Where do you live?

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Adam Date: Saturday, 24/Oct/09, 11:12 PM | Message # 60

B-Girls
Texas. I go to a regular ole public school.

Message edited by Adam - Saturday, 24/Oct/09, 11:15 PM
Forum » Knowledge » Religious/Philosophical Debate » Atheist/Religious Death Toll Comparisons Are Irrelevant?
Search: