[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]

Login:
Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
Forum moderator: TheWatcher, Menace, I_Guy, Aristotle  
Forum » Knowledge » Religious/Philosophical Debate » Playing Devil's Advocate: Religion
Playing Devil's Advocate: Religion
eboyd Date: Monday, 09/Nov/09, 9:59 AM | Message # 1

Heads
This is a game but I put it in Knowledge/Political for a reason. This will be pretty interesting. What is going to happen here is we are going to exchange roles. Atheists, in this thread, you will be theists or deists of some type. Religious/spiritual folks, you will be atheists :D

So basically, sodr, EmSeeD, you have to try to convince us Christians/Muslims/deists (me, I_Guy, Menace, Joker, etc.) that no God exists, among other arguments such as how is it possible for you guys to be moral and we will address such problems as the problem of evil and the burden of proof, etc. rofl

Now the point here is to try to use refutations that your real life opponents (which you are pretending to be here) have not thought about so that you can strengthen your position while possibly assessing your own beliefs to see if they are sound. Afterwards we can do this with politics if people like this thread enough.

So let's start:

Atheists/nonbelievers in general, what basis could you possibly base your morality on? Is it objective or subjective? If it is subjective, how can you possibly ground your morals on something solid? What stops you from disobeying your morals if there is no moral agent preventing you from doing so?

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

s0dr2 Date: Monday, 09/Nov/09, 2:59 PM | Message # 2

OGs
moral code? what moral code? i dont believe in god, everything came from the big bang, and the bible was written by mortal men lol
jk... nice thread...though im not sure if its a sin to play the devils advocate lol

Quote (eboyd)
Atheists/nonbelievers in general, what basis could you possibly base your morality on? Is it objective or subjective? If it is subjective, how can you possibly ground your morals on something solid? What stops you from disobeying your morals if there is no moral agent preventing you from doing so?

it is subjective... there are hardwired morals built into humanity such as stealing or killing...everybody knows that is wrong, religion doesnt teach us that... then theres the morals religion does teach such as homosexuality being immoral or sex before marriage is wrong, etc... these are all based on social standpoints

how about have a...brief response of what your opponent wouldve said...and how about we make that optional lol

Added (09/Nov/09, 2:59 Pm)
---------------------------------------------
heres my question..... uh.... how do you account for evolution... are you a young or old earth creationist?

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

Message edited by sodr2 - Monday, 09/Nov/09, 3:00 PM
eboyd Date: Monday, 09/Nov/09, 3:00 PM | Message # 3

Heads
Quote (sodr)
im not sure if its a sin to play the devils advocate lol

Lol! Then we'll call it opposition's advocate just so it won't be blasphemous for you rofl

Quote (sodr)
it is subjective... there are hardwired morals built into humanity such as stealing or killing...everybody knows that is wrong, religion doesnt teach us that... then theres the morals religion does teach such as homosexuality being immoral or sex before marriage is wrong, etc... these are all based on social standpoints

hardwired? Like we actually have a built in compartment in our brain that tells us specifically that those things are wrong? PROOF?? Do you have any? I could go and tell you the truth, which is that it has been hardwired by GOD, but you won't accept that answer, so I won't :p but seriously, you are making the claim, you have the burden of proof. Show me a peer reviewed document that says it is hardwired into our brains and I will believe you. Otherwise, you need to try another angle ;)

Quote (sodr)
how about have a...brief response of what your opponent wouldve said...and how about we make that optional lol

What do you mean?

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

eboyd Date: Monday, 09/Nov/09, 3:02 PM | Message # 4

Heads
Quote (sodr)
heres my question..... uh.... how do you account for evolution... are you a young or old earth creationist?

Who said that I'm either. Evolution is a fact. You know that. It is how it happened that is a theory and that is where God comes into play.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

s0dr2 Date: Monday, 09/Nov/09, 4:17 PM | Message # 5

OGs
damn... i think u would make a pretty rational christian lol

Quote (eboyd)
What do you mean?
i mean... u respond to the question you asked (towards me) as erik the atheist

Quote (eboyd)
Like we actually have a built in compartment in our brain that tells us specifically that those things are wrong?

1. moral conduct enhances the survival chances of our genes
2. natural selection is a fact
3. therefore its hardwired

question: how is it you consider yourself a christian, when it is evident by your sig that you are a blasphemer?

Added (09/Nov/09, 4:17 Pm)
---------------------------------------------

Quote (eboyd)
Who said that I'm either. Evolution is a fact. You know that. It is how it happened that is a theory and that is where God comes into play.

what do you mean? gravity is a theory, how does God come into play?

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

eboyd Date: Monday, 09/Nov/09, 4:41 PM | Message # 6

Heads
Quote (sodr)
question: how is it you consider yourself a christian, when it is evident by your sig that you are a blasphemer?

rofl

Nice one :D

I'll get back to this later though. I have practice right now and I want to let other people get involved in this. This thread is awesome! :D

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

s0dr2 Date: Monday, 09/Nov/09, 4:59 PM | Message # 7

OGs
k...

what sexual positions are considered sinful in your religion? i actually dont even know

u and your girl are making love... do you give her a taste of that creamy italian or strictly stick to the missionary pos.?

Message edited by sodr2 - Monday, 09/Nov/09, 5:05 PM
eboyd Date: Monday, 09/Nov/09, 6:39 PM | Message # 8

Heads
rofl

bump

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

I_Guy Date: Monday, 09/Nov/09, 8:21 PM | Message # 9

Heads
Quote (sodr2)
what sexual positions are considered sinful in your religion? i actually dont even know

u and your girl are making love... do you give her a taste of that creamy italian or strictly stick to the missionary pos.?

Well see it is only acceptable to do a board stiff missionary position. Rocking very slow and very stiff is key.

We all know that each of our end is near; the question is do we accept the end of our living existence, or do we accept our existence as dead men...
EmSeeD Date: Monday, 09/Nov/09, 9:09 PM | Message # 10

Heads
i read on a website that some catholic bishop believed the bible was written 15,000 year, 2 months 3 days 5 minutes and 20 seconds ago. so that website proved the bible is false and so is your God

http://chirbit.com/emseed
http://youtube.com/siwooot
eboyd Date: Monday, 09/Nov/09, 9:19 PM | Message # 11

Heads
Quote (sodr2)
damn... i think u would make a pretty rational christian lol

you have to know your opponent to debate him ;)

Quote (sodr2)
1. moral conduct enhances the survival chances of our genes
2. natural selection is a fact
3. therefore its hardwired

ok, but what documentation do you have access to that will support that???

and the premises you state do not even suggest the conclusion. you are making a logical leap.

Quote (sodr2)
what do you mean? gravity is a theory, how does God come into play?

gravity is a law. laws and theories are different. the theory of gravity no longer applies. it is now simply the theory of special relativity and the theory of general relativity tells us how gravity works on a cosmic level. God created gravity during the big bang using the material that existed prior to the big bang. after the Planck Wall was where we find our first evidence of gravity. simple as that. how could it exist otherwise?

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

eboyd Date: Monday, 09/Nov/09, 9:22 PM | Message # 12

Heads
Quote (Joker13)
first things first may i please make fun of people ?

only from a theist/deist standpoint :D

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Boner-Jamz-11 Date: Tuesday, 10/Nov/09, 7:20 PM | Message # 13

Rappers
In Jesus I pray!! You will go to hell if you font believe in Jesus! Fooseball is the devil! I can prove god is real by quoting the bible. BE HEALED!!! *cough* I touched your kids*cough*

#TeamHipster
#SWAGSWAG

TUMBLR CLICK CLICK CLICK!
EmSeeD Date: Tuesday, 10/Nov/09, 9:22 PM | Message # 14

Heads
i have seen no proof for God's existence

http://chirbit.com/emseed
http://youtube.com/siwooot
eboyd Date: Tuesday, 10/Nov/09, 10:10 PM | Message # 15

Heads
I see no evidence for the existence of Socrates outside of the accounts of Plato and about 3 other alleged students of his, yet you believe he existed, no?

And you didn't even say evidence, you said proof. We don't have an absolutely positive proof of a single thing in existence. We have evidence that leads to different degrees of "proof" based on the preponderance of said evidence, but it is still not proven even if what we perceive as reality is leans completely in favor of something, our senses may be failing us. If we take it to the root of our knowledge, the cogito, not a single person can prove anything is true but that I think therefore I exist. So based on the cogito, all of our beliefs, atheists and theists alike, are based on a faith. All realists, atheists and theists alike, in fact, share a faith in the same principle -- we all share in our faith that we believe that we are objectively and correctly perceiving reality. That is faith and it is based in the root of all knowledge, making every claim a human chooses to make a faith claim to some extent.

So EmSeeD, saying there is no proof of God is useless, because proof doesn't exist and we all have faith on a certain level. Checkmate atheists! ;)

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Forum » Knowledge » Religious/Philosophical Debate » Playing Devil's Advocate: Religion
Search: