[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]

Login:
Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
Forum moderator: TheWatcher, Menace, I_Guy, Aristotle  
Forum » Knowledge » Religious/Philosophical Debate » Philosophy Accomplishes Goals That Religions Wish They Could (Compile a list)
Philosophy Accomplishes Goals That Religions Wish They Could
s0dr2 Date: Sunday, 29/Nov/09, 5:53 PM | Message # 31

OGs
ok but a lotta good music came from the time of the church
Quote (Menace)
Beethoven's 5th symphony was created because he didn't like Napoleon and his exploits in Prussia

im not even gonna ask how u know that

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

Menace Date: Sunday, 29/Nov/09, 5:59 PM | Message # 32

Heads
Quote (sodr2)

im not even gonna ask how u know that

from here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ludwig_van_Beethoven

Quote (sodr2)
ok but a lotta good music came from the time of the church

not entirely many people forget most classical music was made by command by kinds and queens for them and their aristocracy and most classical musicians made songs dedicated to the aristocracy so they can get PAID .

and secondly many religious people piss me off whit that religion brought the morals to the secular multicultural world we have today !!! man thats completely bullshit they need to check their history when the French Revolution began and when the Age of Enlightenment began whit it monarchists in front whit the clergy stood in the way of basic human rights and freedom to all . I fucking hate those people at Fox News talking about the US Constitution being influenced by religion when religion at that time was against every ounce of Enlightenment oriented or Enlightenment based country , institution or act .

s0dr2 Date: Sunday, 29/Nov/09, 6:25 PM | Message # 33

OGs
werent enlightenment-ists still deists?

i found something else religion has accomplished....saturdays and sundays off!!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

Menace Date: Sunday, 29/Nov/09, 6:37 PM | Message # 34

Heads
Quote (sodr2)
werent enlightenment-ists still deists?

indeed deism was consider atheism at that time LOL :D but no philosopher acted on his intrinsic religious biases if you read many enlightenment thinkers will you see that sense of down to earth that sense of universal brotherhood that goes beyond the boundaries of religion .

eboyd Date: Sunday, 29/Nov/09, 11:52 PM | Message # 35

Watchers
[quote=sodr]Religion (according to the Bible) that is pleasing to God is to feed the hungry, clothe the naked, house the homeless, bring hope to the hopeless and comfort those who mourn, [b]treat others the way you want to be treated[/b], and forgive those who hurt you.[/quote]

Those can all be summed up by the bolded one and all of us have told you at least ten times that is a philosophical and secular principle that is far older than Christianity and has nothing to do with religion as the Greeks put their religious biases at bay and many were actually atheists (Democritus, Epicurus, Socrates, etc.).

s0dr2 Date: Monday, 30/Nov/09, 11:27 AM | Message # 36

OGs
Quote (eboyd)
Those can all be summed up by the bolded one and all of us have told you at least ten times that is a philosophical and secular principle that is far older than Christianity and has nothing to do with religion as the Greeks put their religious biases at bay and many were actually atheists (Democritus, Epicurus, Socrates, etc.).

1- i wansnt the one who said that, 2--who cares about the origin of that principle? isnt it still because of Chriistianity that these acts of charity happened, all the orphanages and hospitals, etc?

Menace Date: Monday, 30/Nov/09, 2:57 PM | Message # 37

Heads
Quote (sodr2)
1- i wansnt the one who said that, 2--who cares about the origin of that principle? isnt it still because of Chriistianity that these acts of charity happened, all the orphanages and hospitals, etc?

No orphanages and hospitals in a secular society are part of the public domain they funded by the state

s0dr2 Date: Monday, 30/Nov/09, 3:32 PM | Message # 38

OGs
lol

how about.......civilization........ %)

tell me if this makes sense

Message edited by sodr2 - Monday, 30/Nov/09, 3:35 PM
Menace Date: Monday, 30/Nov/09, 3:43 PM | Message # 39

Heads
Quote (sodr2)
ol

how about.......civilization........ %)

tell me if this makes sense

what about it ??

s0dr2 Date: Monday, 30/Nov/09, 3:52 PM | Message # 40

OGs
it says religion is a factor for civilization ..........

Menace Date: Monday, 30/Nov/09, 3:58 PM | Message # 41

Heads
Quote (sodr2)
it says religion is a factor for civilization ..........

of course it is but what makes it more relevant then others ???

s0dr2 Date: Monday, 30/Nov/09, 4:20 PM | Message # 42

OGs
joanna?

Menace Date: Monday, 30/Nov/09, 4:22 PM | Message # 43

Heads
Quote (sodr2)
joanna?

huh ?? you mean Joanna Krupa LOL :D

s0dr2 Date: Monday, 30/Nov/09, 4:37 PM | Message # 44

OGs
there was a time when that picture would tempt me...

Added (30/Nov/09, 4:37 Pm)
---------------------------------------------
can philosophy help me with self control like religion? i dont think so

Menace Date: Monday, 30/Nov/09, 5:04 PM | Message # 45

Heads
Quote (sodr2)
can philosophy help me with self control like religion? i dont think so

but religion fails when it comes to self control it FAILS TERRIBLY

Forum » Knowledge » Religious/Philosophical Debate » Philosophy Accomplishes Goals That Religions Wish They Could (Compile a list)
Search: