[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]

Login:
Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
Forum moderator: TheWatcher, Menace, I_Guy, Aristotle  
Forum » Knowledge » Religious/Philosophical Debate » Philosophy Accomplishes Goals That Religions Wish They Could (Compile a list)
Philosophy Accomplishes Goals That Religions Wish They Could
I_Guy Date: Friday, 27/Nov/09, 7:39 PM | Message # 1

Heads
helps:
-establish rational value
-enable easier forgiveness
-create a sort of humbleness
-the discovery of individual's humanity
-the appreciation of life
(I know I am probably leaving some out, feel free to add)

It is my opinion that religion fails at all of these, or at most accomplishes them superficially.

We all know that each of our end is near; the question is do we accept the end of our living existence, or do we accept our existence as dead men...
EmSeeD Date: Friday, 27/Nov/09, 7:43 PM | Message # 2

Heads
religions can also accomplish these things, so i disagree

http://chirbit.com/emseed
http://youtube.com/siwooot
Menace Date: Friday, 27/Nov/09, 9:01 PM | Message # 3

Heads
Quote (EmSeeD)

can but it didn't why you think humanity needed a separation between church and state the polarization of secularity and universal human values brought what religion tried to do for all her history i could even say that the only good effect of globalization is the polarization of universal human values

I_Guy Date: Friday, 27/Nov/09, 11:10 PM | Message # 4

Heads
Quote (EmSeeD)

Right, but it is superficial.

We all know that each of our end is near; the question is do we accept the end of our living existence, or do we accept our existence as dead men...
eboyd Date: Saturday, 28/Nov/09, 1:09 AM | Message # 5

Heads
i am questioning whether or not this thread was even necessary. it sort of has this "holier than thou" stench that i'm used to getting from fundies. me no likey.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

I_Guy Date: Saturday, 28/Nov/09, 1:48 AM | Message # 6

Heads
Not trying to be, but I've run into parallels numerous times between the realizations of secular philosophy and the pursuits of religion. It is interesting that the same conclusions have been reached but by different methods. And there is no doubt that religion reaches these conclusions by superficial means. There is no denying it and no need to ignore it or cover it up. It deserves to be pointed out. Will it never be necessary to point it out? How then can religion's inefficiency be asssesed? But actually this wasn't really meant for discussion, I just wanted to compile a list for my own use.

eboyd Date: Saturday, 28/Nov/09, 1:58 AM | Message # 7

Heads
Quote (I_Guy)
Not trying to be, but I've run into parallels numerous times between the realizations of secular philosophy and the pursuits of religion. It is interesting that the same conclusions have been reached but by different methods. And there is no doubt that religion reaches these conclusions by superficial means. There is no denying it and no need to ignore it or cover it up. It deserves to be pointed out.

i feel you. we've been grilling religion kinda hard recently though. i mean, idk. it's cool when done when necessary, but it's getting a little excessive, you know? check the homosexuality thread btw. have you seen "Middle Sexes"? it is mindblowing. i posted it today (the first installment. you can watch all on YT). you'll be intrigued if you haven't seen it yet.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

I_Guy Date: Saturday, 28/Nov/09, 1:59 AM | Message # 8

Heads
No I've haven't seen it yet. Sounds interesting.

eboyd Date: Saturday, 28/Nov/09, 2:16 AM | Message # 9

Heads
Quote (I_Guy)
No I've haven't seen it yet. Sounds interesting.

yeah, most definitely. check it out as soon as possible. it totally changed my perspective. i think you will enjoy it.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

ilikebacon3000 Date: Saturday, 28/Nov/09, 6:18 AM | Message # 10

Emcees
No offense to this section, but almost every thread on here seems to lead into the same arguement.
It seems like it always ends up in an arguement against organized religion, and christianity in particular. Thats part of the reason why I don't post on this area of the site as much anymore, because all that ends up happening is we have a giant information war involving some random ass books and the bible.

Life's a bitch and I'm just along for the ride.
eboyd Date: Saturday, 28/Nov/09, 12:42 PM | Message # 11

Heads
Quote (ilikebacon3000)
we have a giant information war involving some random ass books and the bible.

like i said above. i personally try to avoid that and keep all that talk within one or two threads.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

s0dr2 Date: Saturday, 28/Nov/09, 1:01 PM | Message # 12

OGs
Quote (I_Guy)
-create a sort of humbleness

is this sarcasm?

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

eboyd Date: Saturday, 28/Nov/09, 1:36 PM | Message # 13

Heads
Quote (sodr2)
is this sarcasm?

well, it isn't evident by the obvious (though albeit possibly incidental) flaunting going on in this thread, and you definitely have pointed to a very ironic statement, considering the nature of this thread, but being that religious folks are most commonly gnostics (meaning they claim to KNOW FOR CERTAIN that a God exists and that it is their God) and that the entire discipline of philosophy is based around agnosticism (nothing in philosophy can truly be "known". everything is rigorously questioned. nothing is sacred), philosophy is inherently more humble in the truest sense. as I_Guy said, religion may create a superficial humbleness (ie giving money to the poor, which is all based on your love of God and knowing that giving to the poor will help you get to heaven, rather than giving just for the sake of giving), but philosophy can lead to a true humbleness that cannot possibly be achieved within the confines of gnostic religion.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

s0dr2 Date: Saturday, 28/Nov/09, 2:50 PM | Message # 14

OGs
Quote (eboyd)
that the entire discipline of philosophy is based around agnosticism

what about religious philosophers?

Quote (eboyd)
superficial humbleness (ie giving money to the poor, which is all based on your love of God and knowing that giving to the poor will help you get to heaven, rather than giving just for the sake of giving)

ok...i would say if you give to the poor out of your wealth, then it is superficial, but giving out of your poverty isnt, and btw at least we still give to the poor...and i dont see any nonreligious people selling ALL they have to the poor and living in the desert as hermits

Quote (I_Guy)
-enable easier forgiveness

id like to see an explanation for this as well

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

EmSeeD Date: Saturday, 28/Nov/09, 3:06 PM | Message # 15

Heads
Quote (eboyd)
but philosophy can lead to a true humbleness that cannot possibly be achieved within the confines of gnostic religion.

what is true humbleness to you then? i consider myself to usually be quite a humble guy but aparently i'm only superficially humble?

http://chirbit.com/emseed
http://youtube.com/siwooot
Forum » Knowledge » Religious/Philosophical Debate » Philosophy Accomplishes Goals That Religions Wish They Could (Compile a list)
Search: