Login:
Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
Forum moderator: TheWatcher, Menace, I_Guy, Aristotle  
Forum » Knowledge » Religious/Philosophical Debate » Religion Is Plague
Religion Is Plague
eboyd Date: Monday, 02/Nov/09, 11:58 AM | Message # 61

Heads
I will admit that my criticism comes straight from the exact criticism of Christopher Hitchens and Matt Dillahunty of the Atheist Experience whose opinions I value (and they are liberals, not conservatives. Dillahunty's views, in my eyes, may even be best described as anarchistic) and so I based my opinion off of an appeal to authority. I will read up on the laws more before forming an opinion.

And btw, I was just using fatwas as an example. Idk what you would call it from a Christian perspective or if there are even any official terms for execution of blasphemers in Christianity or other religions for that matter.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Menace Date: Monday, 02/Nov/09, 1:07 PM | Message # 62

Heads
when it comes to religion Christopher Hitchens is good but when it comes to politics and social issues he's a monster you know he supported the invasion of Iraq no ?? he said that hes on the same plank whit the neo-conservatives on that issue. Christopher Hitchens it's the most important example of Trotskyist becoming an idle drone of the western mainstream political landscape . Because of his hate of religion he made too much compromises and became a conservative supporting globalization and even call in it " true internationalism". Pat Condell's views and Christopher Hitchens views regarding secularism , political/social pluralism and multiculturalism and other similar things are the same as your average American conservative. Real progressive religious criticism doesn't contain mindless chauvinism. For progressive criticism of religion , theocracy , the american religious right i advice you to check people like Michael Parenti , John Pilger etc. people that don't have western biases .

eboyd Date: Monday, 02/Nov/09, 1:12 PM | Message # 63

Heads
Ok cool. What then do you think of Dawkins?

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Menace Date: Monday, 02/Nov/09, 1:28 PM | Message # 64

Heads
Well i like him he even offered me his God Delusion book for free when i caught here in his Darwin's Year tour so yeah i like him i like anyone who gives me free shit LOL :D nah but i like Dawkins because he has no western biases because of his strict rational scientific mind he avoids the mistakes of his fellow comrades. I don't know if you noticed but scientists like him or Daniel Dennett for example have a more universal approach that doesn't contain social or political biases. People like Christopher Hitchens and even Bill Maher ( which i like ) are deep entrenched into political molds and sometimes makes them have biases for example Maher supports Zionism but he condemns theocracy and religion for me that's a paradox .

eboyd Date: Monday, 02/Nov/09, 1:49 PM | Message # 65

Heads
Ok I feel you and btw I LOVE Dennett. I plan to read a copy of that one book he wrote on free will a while ago (forgot the name) when I get the chance. I liked his little analogy about the CIA experiment with the brain in the vat that was really cool :D

Btw, check my "Communication Argument" thread and give me an honest critique of my analogy please.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

emseed Date: Monday, 02/Nov/09, 2:50 PM | Message # 66

Watchers
[quote=eboyd]No, that was the Netherlands, though I don't think it was only limited to the Netherlands so idk... and I believe that was a couple of years ago. And it was actually based on a NATO charter passed that required NATO countries to follow what they called "Anti-Blasphemy Laws" that effectively make all religious criticism illegal, however, few countries are obeying this law. I swear though, if they did inforce it I guarantee it would lead to the eventual enforcement of Fatwas on people who disobeyed said laws.[/quote]

i thought in the video I_Guy posted he says Ireland

eboyd Date: Monday, 02/Nov/09, 2:59 PM | Message # 67

Heads
i didn't even notice the video. i couldn't see it from my cell. idk. it may have happened. the laws still originated from the UN (not NATO. that was a typo).

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

eboyd Date: Monday, 02/Nov/09, 3:01 PM | Message # 68

Heads
"the Dutch government, which is in the process of embarassing itself..."

-from that video

that doesn't mean it is just the Dutch, but that is the main country responsible for these laws. i need to look them up before criticizing them further though.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

I_Guy Date: Monday, 02/Nov/09, 3:30 PM | Message # 69

Heads
I'll read up on those laws and their implications. But that's what you're here for Menace. :D Condell is a bit of a sensationalists, but I find his rants amusing, just like Michael Moore.

I agree, Hitchens needs to stay out of politics. He's great when it comes to writing and clever ridicule of religion, but some things certain people should not get involved with. And for him it's politics.

I've always liked Dawkins. A lot of people say he's a bit arrogant, but I honestly don't see it. And what they might mistake as arrogance is actually just confident success, and that is rightfully deserved. He's been in the scientific spotlight for over thirty years since The Selfish Gene. He WIILL go down in history as an initiator of a (now) inevitable movement (atheism), and he knows it. There's nothing wrong with that, as long as he doesn't go parading his success around then its respectable. But he doesn't do that. He sticks to what he knows and admits when he doesn't know something, at that point he consults one of his fellow professionals. But he knows his value and there's nothing wrong with that.

And I have a lot of respect for Dennet. His writing is clear and cogent. And he's a leading mind in philosophy right now. I don't agree with all of his views (regarding free will) but he still deserves much respect.

We all know that each of our end is near; the question is do we accept the end of our living existence, or do we accept our existence as dead men...
eboyd Date: Monday, 02/Nov/09, 3:40 PM | Message # 70

Heads
Quote (I_Guy)
I've always liked Dawkins. A lot of people say he's a bit arrogant, but I honestly don't see it.

yeah, i used to see it, but now i realize that i was mistaking confidence and my slight religious bias for arrogance.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Menace Date: Monday, 02/Nov/09, 4:36 PM | Message # 71

Heads
Quote (I_Guy)
I agree, Hitchens needs to stay out of politics. He's great when it comes to writing and clever ridicule of religion, but some things certain people should not get involved with. And for him it's politics.

Well let me tell you and Erik something about Hitchens that many of you don't know Hitchens first and foremost wasn't an anti-theist he blew up in the mainstream whit his anti-theism but he didn't start whit it. He started as a Trotskyist activist. After the fall of so called "communism " many Trotskyist dissented and created this neo-conservative branch, one following this dissent is Hitchens his views on foreign policy are proof. His hate of religion makes him more palpable for leftists and " free thought " liberals but that can't disguise his neo-conservative principles laying down there .

I_Guy Date: Monday, 02/Nov/09, 4:40 PM | Message # 72

Heads
Quote (Menace)
Well let me tell you and Erik something about Hitchens that many of you don't know

I thought you were going to tell us that he secretly sneaks into Bill Maher's window at night. :o

We all know that each of our end is near; the question is do we accept the end of our living existence, or do we accept our existence as dead men...
Menace Date: Monday, 02/Nov/09, 4:49 PM | Message # 73

Heads
Quote (I_Guy)
I thought you were going to tell us that he secretly sneaks into Bill Maher's window at night.

rofl rofl nah but for real many contemporary leftists and liberals fall for Hitchens bullshit and many good leftists are transformed by this guy to idle drones that talk about foreign religious infiltration while the problem is not foreign the problem is pretty much domestic

eboyd Date: Monday, 02/Nov/09, 4:50 PM | Message # 74

Heads
Quote (8Diagrams)
What? You said yourself in a debate we are supposed to respond rationally, not emotionally.

combatting irrationality and emotion with irrationality and emotion doesn't solve anything.

"an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Menace Date: Monday, 02/Nov/09, 4:53 PM | Message # 75

Heads
Quote (eboyd)
"an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

Forum » Knowledge » Religious/Philosophical Debate » Religion Is Plague