[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]

Login:
Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
Forum moderator: TheWatcher, Menace, I_Guy, Aristotle  
Forum » Knowledge » Religious/Philosophical Debate » Philosophy Accomplishes Goals That Religions Wish They Could (Compile a list)
Philosophy Accomplishes Goals That Religions Wish They Could
I_Guy Date: Wednesday, 02/Dec/09, 3:41 PM | Message # 76

Heads
Quote (eboyd)
i'm getting tired of this fucking thread. what should we do with it?

Make love to it.

We all know that each of our end is near; the question is do we accept the end of our living existence, or do we accept our existence as dead men...
I_Guy Date: Wednesday, 02/Dec/09, 3:42 PM | Message # 77

Heads
We can delete it.

We all know that each of our end is near; the question is do we accept the end of our living existence, or do we accept our existence as dead men...
eboyd Date: Wednesday, 02/Dec/09, 3:44 PM | Message # 78

Heads
please. it is just leading to pointless bantering and snobbery.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

I_Guy Date: Wednesday, 02/Dec/09, 3:48 PM | Message # 79

Heads
I'll put it in rant.

YANHAP1 Date: Wednesday, 02/Dec/09, 4:01 PM | Message # 80

DJs
Quote (I_Guy)
Make love to it

Be gentile.

Quote (eboyd)
please. it is just leading to pointless bantering and snobbery.

O'Reilly?

LMAO!!!

who killed bambi?

eboyd Date: Wednesday, 02/Dec/09, 4:18 PM | Message # 81

Heads
Quote (YANHAP1)
O'Reilly?

:D

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

YANHAP1 Date: Wednesday, 02/Dec/09, 4:32 PM | Message # 82

DJs
For FOX sake!! >(

:D

who killed bambi?

eboyd Date: Wednesday, 02/Dec/09, 4:45 PM | Message # 83

Heads
rofl

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Menace Date: Wednesday, 02/Dec/09, 6:25 PM | Message # 84

Heads
Quote (YANHAP1)
Or the basic premise of a pure supra conciousness that trancends space time and existance itself?
The Buddha or Allah by the same definition to some Muslims.

Would it surprise you to know that many Islamic Scholars find great commonality between Buddhism and Islam?
And yet the denial of God is one of the greatest sins in Islam.

Quote (Menace)
Religion is a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.

You now throw in the term THESIM as though it changes the outcome,Religion was and defined by yourself.

You gave a definition which i refuted, factually, and i stand by that refutation.

Like it or not some people worship Buddha as a God, a practice i have witnessed personally, Dhalai and Pachen Lamas were revered by the masses as God Kings.
Fact.
There is much supernatural folklore established around Buddhism, wether its tenents precribe it or not, the masses choose to view it through such mediums and treat it as a religion supernatural entities and all.
It is what it is.
I have practiced traditional Kung Fu for many years under a Chinese Master and participated in many Chinese Buddhist festivals all around the U.K and Hong Kong included, there are practioners who practice Hsien Gung to envoke "spirits" and even "dieties" and consider themselves Buddhist.

You read what you read i'll experience what i experience.

I do find it laughable that you'll cite Christian thinkers in your arguement as though they have the definitive outlook on exactly what constitutes God.

Everything is textbook definition with you which does'nt always come off as reality.

PEACE!!!

I go whit the scholars not whit personal " experiences " if you lack monotheist or even polytheist aspects you can't be considered a religion it's a central piece

YANHAP1 Date: Thursday, 03/Dec/09, 5:59 AM | Message # 85

DJs
Good for you.

One example.

Goddess Tara, a female Buddha and meditational deity, is one of the most popular goddess in the Buddhist pantheon. She is considered to be the goddess of universal compassion who represents virtuous and enlightened activity.

The word Tara itself is derived from the root 'tri' (to cross), hence the implied meaning:' the one who enables living beings to cross the Ocean of Existence and Suffering'. Her compassion for living beings, her desire to save them from suffering, is said to be even stronger than a mother's love for her children.

The story of Tara's origin, according to the Tara Tantra, recounts that thousands of years ago she was born as a king's daughter. A spiritual princess, she regularly gave offerings and prayers to the ordained monks and nuns. She thus developed great merit, and the monks told her that, because of her spiritual attainments, they would pray that she be reborn as a man and spread Buddhist teachings. She responded that there was no male and no female,(middle sexes E-Boyd) that nothing existed in reality, and that she wished to remain in female form to serve other beings until everyone reached enlightenment, hence implying the shortfall in the monk's knowledge in presuming only male preachers for the Buddhist religion. Thus Tara might be considered one of the first feminists.

Another legend of Tara is that she was born from the tears of Avalokiteshvara (The Buddha of compassion):

"Homage! Tara, swift, heroic. With a glance like flashing
lightning, born from a blooming lotus sprung from the tears on
the face of the Lord of the World."

Another example.

How about AMITABHA also known as MATREYA or in semetic terms the Messiah?

Or Avalokiteshavra or Kwan Yum in cantonese a very popular Diety amongst a host of Southern Chinese peoples sometimes mistaken for Tin Hau Goddess of fishermen who gave birth to Tara through a tear?

According to the Huayen Sutra, Avalokiteshvara transforms himself into forms that suit the nature of those in need. His manifestations or transformation bodies are countless.If a boy or girl is about to gain some enlightenment, Avalokiteshvara transforms himself into a boy or a girl to teach the child.If a monk is about to attain some enlightenment, Avalokiteshvara transforms himself into a monk.

In short, he can change form to best suit the need of those he assists. The purpose of such transformations is to make people feel close to him and willing to listen to his words.

The Idols most popular form looks more female than male.

Am i imagining this pantheon of dietys?

Of course a Buddhist would answer yes as nothing exists in reality, however in that non-existant reality people actually do worship these idols as gods and goddesses and observe rituals,festivals hold pilgramages and pray to them and recount and preserve a host of stories involving magic, supernatural powers and miracles related to them.

Though that is apparently not religion.

PEACE!!!

who killed bambi?

Message edited by YANHAP1 - Thursday, 03/Dec/09, 6:16 AM
eboyd Date: Thursday, 03/Dec/09, 4:25 PM | Message # 86

Heads
Quote (Menace)
I go whit the scholars not whit personal " experiences " if you lack monotheist or even polytheist aspects you can't be considered a religion it's a central piece

i disagree. i don't think religion requires a deity. none of the definitions i've read seem to require a deity. Buddhism is an atheistic religion.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

YANHAP1 Date: Friday, 04/Dec/09, 4:18 AM | Message # 87

DJs
My take is that it is both, like Taoism, an agnostic philosophy and deist religion.

Buddism talks of a "primordial Buddha" as creator though not in a collective universal sense rather as an individual for each sentient being.

This though would then infer to "primordial Buddhas" but it is maintained that there is only one.

The logic of Buddhism denies god/s, the practice of many Buddhists embraces them.

Taoism hints that creation stems from the Tai Chi (grand terminus) but that the Tao itself refuses to be defined and so philosopically no "creator" is or can be named as this is not in accordance to the Tao.

Both philosophys have retained all the trapings of Religion; Pantheons, Ritual, Monastacism, Royal patronage as state religions, raised armies and fought religious wars against each other and have themselves been surrounded by thier respective followers in a rich tapestry of folklore and mysticism.

It is paradoxical, but lifes full of them not everything can be clearly packaged labelled and pidgeonholed.

PEACE!!!

who killed bambi?

I_Guy Date: Sunday, 07/Feb/10, 9:38 PM | Message # 88

Heads
ha ha, let's not go into this thread. shake

J-Breakz Date: Sunday, 07/Feb/10, 10:42 PM | Message # 89

Heads
Quote (Pensmoke)
Who you talking to?

you, I believe. They were trying to have this thread die for whatever reason, idk. Frankly, I'm tired of all the attacks on religion. It gets old quick.... I should just lock this topic.

livin life like some cheesy movie
Forum » Knowledge » Religious/Philosophical Debate » Philosophy Accomplishes Goals That Religions Wish They Could (Compile a list)
Search: