[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]

Login:
Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
Forum moderator: I_Guy, s0dr2, El_Matador  
Forum » Knowledge » Philosophy/Science » Purpose For Existence?
Purpose For Existence?
J-Breakz Date: Sunday, 20/Dec/09, 4:51 PM | Message # 76

Heads
hey erik did u get a chance to look at taiwan yet? I'll respond to your posts but I been working a lot on beats cuz I been in a beat battle. I didn't win my first one but the people said i have to show up for the next one, lol. When I played my beat man, everybody was dancin and goin nuts dude, it was really rewarding, but yeah, Im gettin way off topic lol.

livin life like some cheesy movie
eboyd Date: Monday, 21/Dec/09, 0:12 AM | Message # 77

Heads
Quote (J-Breakz)
hey erik did u get a chance to look at taiwan yet? I'll respond to your posts but I been working a lot on beats cuz I been in a beat battle. I didn't win my first one but the people said i have to show up for the next one, lol. When I played my beat man, everybody was dancin and goin nuts dude, it was really rewarding, but yeah, Im gettin way off topic lol.

lol! nice! nah, i haven't checked it yet. will do.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

ritesofpasage Date: Sunday, 10/Apr/11, 11:04 PM | Message # 78

DJs
The purpose for existence is to add to God's family for his glory.

Check out my melody faithfulness is the fidelity of my soundtrack to that of the heavenlies.....
Adam Date: Sunday, 10/Apr/11, 11:10 PM | Message # 79

B-Girls
inb4rant

I JUST EXPLODED INTO RAINBOWS AND LOLLIPOPS!
ilikebacon3000 Date: Sunday, 10/Apr/11, 11:43 PM | Message # 80

Emcees
and/or atheist vs. theist shitstorm.

Life's a bitch and I'm just along for the ride.
eboyd Date: Monday, 11/Apr/11, 2:50 AM | Message # 81

Heads
Quote (ritesofpasage)
The purpose for existence is to add to God's family for his glory.

...until you realize that God probably doesn't exist and so you just decide to live life to it's fullest without getting in the way of others doing the same ;)

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

EmSeeD Date: Monday, 11/Apr/11, 4:54 AM | Message # 82

Heads
purpose is whatever you want it to be, i believe we decide a purpose and direction for ourselves, i can't just wait around for someone else to come along and tell me what my purpose is

http://chirbit.com/emseed
http://youtube.com/siwooot
Adam Date: Monday, 11/Apr/11, 7:05 AM | Message # 83

B-Girls
Quote (eboyd)
decide to live life to it's fullest without getting in the way of others doing the same

absolutely not... live life like a wrecking ball. fuck it.

Greeny Date: Monday, 11/Apr/11, 5:02 PM | Message # 84

OGs
Quote (eboyd)
...until you realize that God probably doesn't exist and so you just decide to live life to it's fullest without getting in the way of others doing the same ;)

Religion really isn't that simple, but I agree to living life to the fullest. The idea of a god can help this, but fanatics fuck everything up.
I'm quite swayed by Sartre's idea of existential humanism. Choose your own purpose.

:)
Adam Date: Monday, 11/Apr/11, 7:21 PM | Message # 85

B-Girls
Quote (Greeny)
living life to the fullest

FUCK LIFE FUCK LOVE GOLF WANG

ilikebacon3000 Date: Monday, 11/Apr/11, 11:08 PM | Message # 86

Emcees
Quote (Adam)
absolutely not... live life like a wrecking ball. fuck it.

i'm on this boat as well, if adam is serious.
i don't try to intentionally hurt people, and i try my hardest to be nice and helpful when i'm able to, but sometimes i just don't have the time to kiss someone's ass to make them feel better, or i don't have the time to go do some charity shit, etc etc.
i try to focus on keeping my priorites sorted out. work, school, sleep, eating. those come before anything else, even if it means cutting a few corners and cutting someone short if i have to... do you think that's wrong erik?
i'm not saying it's the best way of living... but it's just the position i'm in. unfortunatly, i don't have the resources to go out and just blow money and i'm under too much stress to kiss ass and be nice all the time. yeah, it sucks, but sometimes you just gotta be straight up and tell people to fuck off and leave you alone, you know?

Life's a bitch and I'm just along for the ride.
eboyd Date: Tuesday, 12/Apr/11, 0:43 AM | Message # 87

Heads
That has nothing to do with what I'm talking about. When I say don't get in the way of others doing the same I don't mean make a concerted effort to do nice deeds for others (though that's always a plus), I mean don't inhibit peoples' ability to do what they want, rather leave other people the fuck alone.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

ritesofpasage Date: Tuesday, 12/Apr/11, 1:52 PM | Message # 88

DJs
Quote (eboyd)
...until you realize that God probably doesn't exist and so you just decide to live life to it's fullest without getting in the way of others doing the same

What makes life full? What makes life empty? If we are just empty entities then what makes life alive how then can we say that we're different from the animals. Why haven't they done what we have? If we are the same as them.

1. Why is our planet habitable? Why is the sun in just enough distance from our planet so that we can sustain?

2. How is it that our ecosystem is so well developed that we all live in relationship and no one thing has destroyed the planet?

3. How is it that everything created lives under the same laws of this planet?

4. There is a design underlying it all.

5. God is the creator.

Check out my melody faithfulness is the fidelity of my soundtrack to that of the heavenlies.....
eboyd Date: Tuesday, 12/Apr/11, 2:43 PM | Message # 89

Heads
i'll start by saying that, unlike most religious folk, i am not claiming to have all the answers or have an answer (God) that leads me to all the answers, whether or not i will ever understand them.

Quote (ritesofpasage)
What makes life full? What makes life empty?

these are vague. please expand and explain what you mean by "full" and "empty" in this context. also, "full/empty" of what??

Quote (ritesofpasage)
If we are just empty entities then what makes life alive

when did i say/imply that we are empty entities? each complex life form is an unimaginably intricate web of DNA coding, molecular combinations, etc., which help determine how each being will develop in a given environment through specific experiences.

Quote (ritesofpasage)
how then can we say that we're different from the animals.

beyond degrees of strength and intelligence, size, and specific physical and mental attributes, we're not. why should we be? what's so important about being different from the animals? is there some dire need for animals to be subordinate to humans beyond "the bible says so"?

Quote (ritesofpasage)
Why haven't they done what we have?

because they haven't evolved to do so. i can say the same about humans as well though; why can't humans run as fast as many animals; why aren't we as strong as many animals; why don't we have the sight of an eagle? because we haven't evolved and/or adapted to do so. does that make us lesser beings because of it? no. so why should we believe that just because we are by far the most intelligent animal, all other animals are subordinate to us?

Quote (ritesofpasage)
Why is our planet habitable?

4.54 billion years of development in which, at the beginning, large water filled asteroids struck our planet's surface for much of earth's initial few thousand years eventually creating large bodies of water, allowing for the atmosphere to form through the release of gases. once an atmosphere was formed and bodies of water began to form, amino acids combined in what is called "abiogenesis" to form self-replicating RNA strands (which have been produced with little outside assistance in a lab already, proving the existence of self-replicating RNA) which combined to become the first life forms. a symbiotic relationship between the environment and these new life forms, as well as many events that have changed the planet's structure, allowed for further development into what we know today as planet earth.

Quote (ritesofpasage)
Why is the sun in just enough distance from our planet so that we can sustain?

it's actually more accurate to say that our planet is just the right distance from the Sun. i digress though. i'd say luck. is it not possible for things to just happen by chance? does everything have to be planned? why?

Quote (ritesofpasage)
How is it that our ecosystem is so well developed that we all live in relationship and no one thing has destroyed the planet?

the development i described above. and who said our planet has never been destroyed?? fossil evidence suggests that our planet WAS destroyed while the dinosaurs roamed the earth and it was uninhabitable for thousands of years by most life forms. to this day cataclysmic natural events occur every few years, destroying large portions of earth's ecosystem, and that's not even counting the countless amounts of damage we humans have done to our own planet.

Quote (ritesofpasage)
How is it that everything created lives under the same laws of this planet?

1. claiming that everything was "created" presupposes your argument to be true. avoid that please.

2. who said that "everything" does? is everything outside of earth's atmosphere bound to our planet's gravitational pull? how do we know that there are no other universes out there that have completely different operational laws?

Quote (ritesofpasage)
There is a design underlying it all.

none of the questions you pose lead to such reasoning.

Quote (ritesofpasage)
God is the creator.

even if your reasoning was correct and there is a creator, what makes the Christian account superior to any other account?

and the most important question of them all: what the hell does any of this have to do with the purpose of existence?? :D

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Menace Date: Tuesday, 12/Apr/11, 4:14 PM | Message # 90

Heads
Quote (ritesofpasage)
What makes life full? What makes life empty? If we are just empty entities then what makes life alive how then can we say that we're different from the animals. Why haven't they done what we have? If we are the same as them.

1. Why is our planet habitable? Why is the sun in just enough distance from our planet so that we can sustain?

2. How is it that our ecosystem is so well developed that we all live in relationship and no one thing has destroyed the planet?

3. How is it that everything created lives under the same laws of this planet?

4. There is a design underlying it all.

5. God is the creator.

Forum » Knowledge » Philosophy/Science » Purpose For Existence?
Search: