[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]

Login:
Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: Aristotle, s0dr2, ThaScience  
Forum » Real HIP HOP Forever » Rate & Review Music » Killah Priest - "Heavy Mental"
Killah Priest - "Heavy Mental"
What do you think about this album?
1.100 - 90[ 2 ][50.00%]
2.89 - 80[ 1 ][25.00%]
3.79 - 70[ 1 ][25.00%]
4.69 - 60[ 0 ][0.00%]
5.59 - 50[ 0 ][0.00%]
6.49 - 40[ 0 ][0.00%]
7.39 - 30[ 0 ][0.00%]
8.29 - 20[ 0 ][0.00%]
9.19 - 10[ 0 ][0.00%]
10.9 - 0[ 0 ][0.00%]
Answers total: 4
Kiba Date: Thursday, 13/Nov/08, 9:35 AM | Message # 1

Emcees
Incredible debut album and imo the best Wu-Tang album by a non-member!

Suns Of Man/Wu-Tang's extended family member Killah Priest might be one of the most diverse lyricists that people may ever hear. His lyrics expand from storytelling, to project life, to religion. Especially on the latter, as one may believe that he has actually studied the Bible all throughout his life, before recording his album. Almost every verse has a good concept behind it, as to get listeners to learn, as well as expand their knowledge basis. After making an impact on "Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth" on The Genius' Liquid Swords, expect his whole album to have similar content throughout.

The main reason why I had to add this album to my Wu-Tang collection was Track 4, From Then Till Now, a powerfully haunting track where Killah Priest spits ill rhymes commenting on the grim realities that project-dwelling black folks deal with today while paying tribute to the glory and splendor of Nubian ancestors from ages past. This song was featured in the opening scenes of the movie, Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai
Other songs that are great standouts are the fierce "Cross My Heart" with Inspetah Deck and The Genius. Followed is the deep "Fake MC's". My favorite track ended up being "Tai Chi" with Hell Razah, 60 Second Assassin, and Father Lord. The track has an deep (and somewhat disturbing sounding) piano loop that works very well. Following that track is the spoken word "Heavy Mental", where Killah Priest goes for over four minutes. Things keep going on with the deep sounding "If You Don't Know" with ODB. Another favorite of mine is "Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth", as it's no different from the version that appeared on The Genius' album. Towards the end is the story telling "Science Project". Priest kicks more knowledge on "Almost There". And the album closes off with a solid "The Professional".

Killah Priest's debut is full of deeply thought lyrics, and dark sounding production. This album may end up growing on some people, as it did on myself. When it does, it will be enjoyed by fans of the Wu, Suns Of Man, IV Horsemen, and other Killah Priest related fans. Back in '98, this album slipped through the cracks, due to the change in what hip hop was becoming around that time. Killah Priest wasn't following trends back in that time, which was probably the reason why this album was ignored. If you have slept on this for all these years, I recommend you pick this up, because it is definitely a quality buy!!!!

Lyrics: 100%
Flow: 90%
Production: 95%
X-Factor: 100%
Overall: 97%

I looked at the moon so full and so bright
And then at the fireplace with its flickering light
And realised why this world will never be right

Deadly-Sin Date: Thursday, 13/Nov/08, 4:42 PM | Message # 2

Removed
79 - 70 cause i thought the offering was better
Kiba Date: Thursday, 13/Nov/08, 6:53 PM | Message # 3

Emcees
Quote (Kriptah-Knite)
79 - 70 cause i thought the offering was better

wow, yeah the offering is pretty good too

I looked at the moon so full and so bright
And then at the fireplace with its flickering light
And realised why this world will never be right

Deadly-Sin Date: Thursday, 13/Nov/08, 9:07 PM | Message # 4

Removed
Quote (Kiba)
wow, yeah the offering is pretty good too

his best in my opinion was priesthood
Lord_Meth Date: Sunday, 16/Nov/08, 10:08 AM | Message # 5

Heads
Hmm...intriging (is that spelled right) but I might check it out later......sounds to me like its worth listening to

Sick With It
Forum » Real HIP HOP Forever » Rate & Review Music » Killah Priest - "Heavy Mental"
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: