Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: Aristotle, s0dr2, ThaScience  
Forum » Real HIP HOP Forever » Rate & Review Music » Ice Cube - I Am The West
Ice Cube - I Am The West
El_Matador Date: Wednesday, 22/Sep/10, 6:08 PM | Message # 1

Heads
I downloaded it now, but I'll listen to it later.

01. A Boy Was Conceived (Intro) 0:26
02. Soul On Ice 3:39
03. Life In California Ft. Jayo And WC 4:02
04. She Couldn't Make It On Her Own Ft. OMG And Doughboy 2:59
05. Urbanian 2:25
06. Ya'll Know Who I Am Ft. OMG, Doughboy, WC And Maylay 2:18
07. Too West Coast Ft. WC And Maylay 2:58
08. I Rep That West 4:31
09. Drink The Kool-Aid 3:09
10. No Country For Young Men 4:13
11. It Is What It Is 3:21
12. Hood Robbin' 3:45
13. Your Money Or Your Life 3:23
14. Nothing Like L.A. 3:20
15. All Day, Every Day 2:21
16. Fat Cat 2:54

MENACE 2 JOKER: Go back to Mexico you damn spic
JOKER 2 MENACE: Shut up you fake nigga your a damn sand nigger not a full nigger

Treach Date: Thursday, 23/Sep/10, 12:50 PM | Message # 2

OGs
Horrible album 2/10

"We took pride in intellect and skill
Now you gotta have some sex appeal to get a record deal"
- K-RINO
El_Matador Date: Thursday, 23/Sep/10, 2:02 PM | Message # 3

Heads
I sent the link to everyone on the site. I'm bumping it now

JOKER 2 MENACE: Shut up you fake nigga your a damn sand nigger not a full nigger

El_Matador Date: Thursday, 23/Sep/10, 2:05 PM | Message # 4

Heads
Oh shit, crunk on the album!

El_Matador Date: Thursday, 23/Sep/10, 3:06 PM | Message # 5

Heads
Weak album but not horrible. It has some dope tracks

If you want to buy it I'd say NO but if you want to download it like a little bitch I'd say GO AHEAD

EmSeeD Date: Thursday, 23/Sep/10, 5:46 PM | Message # 6

Heads
Quote (El_Matador)
I sent the link to everyone on the site. I'm bumping it now

i listened to the previews and decided to listen and review Black Sheeps From The Pool of Black Genius instead :D

i'll download this later tonight though

http://chirbit.com/emseed
http://youtube.com/siwooot
Treach Date: Friday, 24/Sep/10, 9:59 AM | Message # 7

OGs
Quote (El_Matador)
but if you want to download it like a little bitch I'd say GO AHEAD

so you just called yourself a little bitch? lol

"We took pride in intellect and skill
Now you gotta have some sex appeal to get a record deal"
- K-RINO
EmSeeD Date: Saturday, 25/Sep/10, 5:33 AM | Message # 8

Heads
Quote (Treach)

lmao

rhymes are pretty decent from cube, he has some good lines. almost every song was cube reinforcing his west coast legend status. it was dope but i think it dominated too much of the subject matter however. it was 11 songs all in a row of cube talking about his status until track 12 where he finally rapped about something, the song Hood Robin which was about living in the hood in 2010 and the political situation of today, very relevant and very real. unfortunatley this was the only track of its kind on the album. i think the album really suffered from too much repetitive subject matter and too many hyphy type beats and no variation to break it up
Production came very hard on the album. a lot of hard west coast hype type tracks, there was also some hyphy lil jon type tracks such as she couldn't make it on her own which i didn't like. a couple of the songs did have some repetitive beats, but most of it was pretty much what we've been hearing from cube over the last decade, some hard west coast hype type tracks which mostly sounded good and had me bobbing my head.

production: a generous 70% even though a lot of it was quite repetitive
lyrics: 70%

overall: 70% damn i wish WC and Maylay had more verses on here

at least its not the worst album to come out this year, this is definitely NOT worth purchasing though

fave songs: Hood Robin, Drink The Kool Aid, I Rep That West, Nothin Like LA

Tracks:

soul on ice, ok beat, pretty simple west coast type of beat. nothing special. it does however have some pretty good rhymes for someone like ice cube. track is just a strong macho type opener to show the world ice cube is still the west coast don. nothing really special but i guess it serves its purpose. beat just seems a little too simple for me.

life in california. damn the beat opens hard as fuck. classic west coast type shit. liked the lyrics from ice cube too, even though he's not the most lyrical dude i liked the west coast attitude he brought on this song. didn't think jayo brought it though, his verse seemed soft in comparison to both the aggressiveness of cube and wc. i wish wc's verse was long than just a couple bars, damn.

she couldn't make it on her own. the beat is more modern and hyphy, seems more similar to cubes lil jon type music, the beat is ok since its hard and hype just like the previous but i didn't like that damn chorus and hated doughboy and omg's verses even more, when your fathers delivery makes your shit look soft you know something ain't right

urbanian. just another song of ice cube stating his status again. subject matter is starting to get old. song is just another hype type track. song is pretty short so theres not that much going on in it.

Yall Know Who I Am. production is another banger type, but its another modern hype type track again, so much for the old west coast don, this just seems like the more recent lil jon ice cube. song features his average sons again, it did also feature a....5 second verse from one of the best upcoming dudes out of the west right now Maylay, wonder if that has something to do with why his verse was cut to 5 seconds lol, well at least those 5 seconds actually had some pretty damn good rhymes. and i know there must have been more in his verse but it was cut coz noone writes a fucking 5 second verse >(

Too west coast. ah finally a sick sounding beat. shit sounds fucking hype in a good way. features WC and Maylay again, thankfully their verses weren't cut like the other tracks. WC sounds dope as hell, has an awesome delivery and dope rhymes to match. Maylay was the most lyrical on the track imo. no chorus in between verses just 3 good verses over hard production and then a good chorus at the end. track is 2:51 which i think is actually the longest track so far which is odd coz that ain't very long

i rep that west. the main single from the album. i actually think the song is pretty decent, i like the sung chorus, works well with the uptempo beat. subject matter is yet another song from cube talking about his west coast status again. i guess every song is gonna be this. it doesn't actually bother me that much though to be honest.

drink the kool aid. the other single from the chorus, same subject matter as every other song on the album. he made some good references to a lot of other rappers in the song

no country for young men. some more west coast style, lyrics are pretty good, really liked the line about tiger woods, "tiger about to change his name to cheetah/cheater" lol that shit was dope. song does wear off after a while though.

it is what it is. don't like the chorus at all, i think the chorus actually sums things up pretty well, "it is what it is, i do this for my kids". that makes a lot of sense if you apply it to the album because while its not a classic or the dre reunion everyone was hoping for...it is what it is and he does feature his kids on the album so yeah, that chorus sums up this album pretty well...even though the chorus is actually horible and the song overall is pretty shit too...and i mean shit...why was this on here???

hood robin. my fave song so far, for the first time cube is actually rapping about something. song is a more concsious song about politics and living in the hood in 2010. beat goes well with it too. very relatable song and very real.

money or your life. another west coast gangsta type track, beat is nothing special, mostly back to the content of the rest of the album. liked the shout outs at the end though

nothing like la. i like the beat and the chorus, song is a dedication to his wife or maybe to la itself i guess. it was nice to hear since it was something different from the rest of the album. the chorus was sung by some R&B singer in semi-autotune but it sounded good, beat was also quite dope too, had that more mellow g-funk type west coast beat

all day everyday. hmm..its been a long album, i'm getting sick of it now, its another track about same damn shit. beat is the same damn shit too...>(

fat cat...................................................yeah w/e, its garbage.

El_Matador Date: Saturday, 25/Sep/10, 8:47 AM | Message # 9

Heads
Quote (Treach)

LMAO nah, I just wanted to make you feel like a lil bitch if you choose to download it.
I always support pirates but now I wanted to sound different

EmSeeD Date: Monday, 01/Nov/10, 4:28 PM | Message # 10

Heads
lmao check out the similarities in these two songs, this just shows how average this album is. Keep in mind OJ's song came out two years ago

Uncharted Date: Tuesday, 09/Nov/10, 6:55 PM | Message # 11

Emcees
lmao^^^^its almost the same exact song

Forum » Real HIP HOP Forever » Rate & Review Music » Ice Cube - I Am The West
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: