[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]

Login:
Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: Aristotle, s0dr2, ThaScience  
Forum » Real HIP HOP Forever » Rate & Review Music » One Be Lo - "S.O.N.O.G.R.A.M."
One Be Lo - "S.O.N.O.G.R.A.M."
What do you think?
1.100 - 90[ 3 ][75.00%]
2.89 - 80[ 0 ][0.00%]
3.79 - 70[ 0 ][0.00%]
4.69 - 60[ 0 ][0.00%]
5.59 - 50[ 0 ][0.00%]
6.49 - 40[ 0 ][0.00%]
7.39 - 30[ 0 ][0.00%]
8.29 - 20[ 0 ][0.00%]
9.19 - 10[ 0 ][0.00%]
10.9 - 0[ 1 ][25.00%]
Answers total: 4
Kiba Date: Tuesday, 09/Dec/08, 9:19 PM | Message # 1

Emcees
IMO this is a hip hop classic

One Be Lo's 2005 album "S.O.N.O.G.R.A.M." was my introduction to the Michigan MC, who prior to this album was known as One Man Army and released a solo album and was a member of the group Binary Star with Senim Silla and Decompoze. Upon first listen, I was immediately taken by One Be Lo's passion, lyrical content, and overall product. One Be Lo has a likable, staccato flow and tends to grab the listener into his verses with great first lines. From a technical standpoint, he's an awesome rapper, able to flow seamlessly on the beat, writing very catchy hooks, and exhibiting great breath control and syllable placement. But his appeal is much deeper, stemming from beautifully composed verses and deep subject matter. One Be Lo is a Muslim, an ex-con, a father, a philsopher, but most importantly an observer, and each of these persons contributes to his lyrical product.

I purchased this album on pure recommendation from Los Angeles based rapper Murs. I read an interview with him on the web, and he was just raving about how good One Be Lo was. I figured that a well respected rapper such as Murs would have great taste in hip-hop music, which he obviously does, because this album is excellent. One.Be.Lo brings a lot to the table with his solo debut, keeping it truly underground. The album is a very clear representation of what One.Be.Lo is all about; which wasn't so clear in his past collaborative efforts. His music is empowering, and introspective. But he really steps forward in his lyrical delivery, which is very passionate. There isn't really a record quite like it. I could slightly compare it to early Black Eyed Peas or The Roots when considering it's soulful jazzy rhythms, but he just does it so much better in comparison (it also helps that he's underground). He actually has a lot of influences from the likes of Brand Nubian, Nas, Ice Cube, KRS-One and also Poor Righteous Teachers.

From the album's introduction, the music will keep your head nodding for the entirety of it's 70 minutes in length. It will keep you thinking, "Yeah, this is where it's at." One.Be.Lo signed a three record deal with the Fatbeats label, but when examining this devastatingly long record, it would seem that this is the last chance he'll ever have to prove himself in the rap game. Even though it's so long, their doesn't seem to be any filler. It's an album of epic proportions that will keep you coming back for more time and time again. As with most quality underground artists, it will take a few spins to fully digest all of his complex wordplay. If you listen to underground hip-hop, you will understand that that is a good thing. One Be Lo never sounds overbearing. It's almost as if he is talking directly to you in an intimate setting, letting "you" know what's going down. Although the music production is very jazzy and soulful, it's also one-of-a-kind. The looping sounds and samples sound very different from most hip-hop albums I've heard, giving it a unique perspective and feel. Some of my favorite tracks are "The UNDERground," "enecS eht no kcaB," "The Ghetto," "True Love," "Deceptacons," "Sleepwalking," and "Rocketship".

Overall, this is everything I've grown to love in a hip-hop album since I've started listening to rap. His flow is engrossing, he boasts effective social and political commentary, he raps about what's happening in his life as opposed to throwing a bunch of words together that don't make sense, and the production flawlessly matches his style. This album is nearly perfect, and I would recommend it with the highest of praise!!!

As you you know i dont easily hand out top marks for anything not even my fav artists.
But for me this was best album of 2005 and is a MUST have for anyone who loves hip hop!!!!!
This is everything what i look for in a hip hop album....GO BUY IT!!!!

Lyrics: 100%
Flow: 100%
Production: 100%
X-Factor: 100%
Overall: 100%

I looked at the moon so full and so bright
And then at the fireplace with its flickering light
And realised why this world will never be right

Message edited by Kiba - Wednesday, 10/Dec/08, 2:58 AM
EmSeeD Date: Wednesday, 10/Dec/08, 0:43 AM | Message # 2

Heads
can you link some tracks? if they're on yt

http://chirbit.com/emseed
http://youtube.com/siwooot
Kiba Date: Friday, 12/Dec/08, 4:16 AM | Message # 3

Emcees
who gave this 9 - 0 ???? surprised

Quote (EmSeed)
can you link some tracks? if they're on yt

yeah ok il put some links up soon, utube does take sound quaity down tho....

I looked at the moon so full and so bright
And then at the fireplace with its flickering light
And realised why this world will never be right

EmSeeD Date: Friday, 12/Dec/08, 10:53 PM | Message # 4

Heads
Quote (Kiba)
who gave this 9 - 0 ????

yeah there's always one asshole who votes that in every pole.

http://chirbit.com/emseed
http://youtube.com/siwooot
Forum » Real HIP HOP Forever » Rate & Review Music » One Be Lo - "S.O.N.O.G.R.A.M."
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: