New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Forum moderator: s0dr2  
Forum » Off-Topic » Regular Off-Topic » "Skinhead" By Patricia Smith
"Skinhead" By Patricia Smith
eboyd Date: Monday, 23/Feb/09, 6:26 AM | Message # 1

Heads
now you guys know i am usually not astounded by slam poetry, because while in performance it is great, in writing most of it lacks, however, this is utterly amazing. Patricia Smith is a black woman and she is writing in first person in the voice of a white supremacist, sympathizing with his reasons for feeling the way he does. utterly astounding! watch here:

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

eboyd Date: Monday, 23/Feb/09, 12:55 PM | Message # 2

Heads
bump

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Menace Date: Monday, 23/Feb/09, 1:03 PM | Message # 3

Heads
woow simply WOOW !! and i might add i don't know why people take in serious white supremacy and white nationalism there is no concept even for nationalism to base itself don't mind the white one believing in theories that have roots in xenophobic principles its stupid.

eboyd Date: Monday, 23/Feb/09, 6:19 PM | Message # 4

Heads
yeah, this poem is surprised

but i feel you. it is ridiculous that supremacy and nationalism even exist. unfortunately they do.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

eboyd Date: Saturday, 28/Feb/09, 1:50 AM | Message # 5

Heads
bump

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

eboyd Date: Saturday, 28/Feb/09, 1:40 PM | Message # 6

Heads
bumpagain

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

eboyd Date: Saturday, 28/Feb/09, 1:51 PM | Message # 7

Heads
idk. i actually am usually not a huge fan of Def Poetry Jam anymore and will go as far as to say a lot of the stuff on there is absolute garbage (for example, Kanye West's poem that was equally as egotistical and poorly written as his lyrics in his music) and a large majority is mediocre, but this is one of the few poem that stand out and i can truly say that it is amazing! it was written and performed quite amazingly. that is a rare quality. that is why i keep bumping this. it is a very important thing to me.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

eboyd Date: Saturday, 28/Feb/09, 2:00 PM | Message # 8

Heads
meh... that is exactly what i am talking about. that was very poorly written. he performed it well, but he needs to study poetry. it sounds like he just threw some shit together and didn't even edit it. that is the main shortcoming of hip hop. no one edits their verses. i take MONTHS to write my pieces.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Menace Date: Saturday, 28/Feb/09, 2:01 PM | Message # 9

Heads
well that's what makes the difference its dirty poetry unedited and uncut street poetry no??? this kind of poetry comes from places were people don't have such a great vocabulary

eboyd Date: Saturday, 28/Feb/09, 2:07 PM | Message # 10

Heads
Quote (Menace)
well that's what makes the difference its dirty poetry unedited and uncut street poetry no??? this kind of poetry comes from places were people don't have such a great vocabulary

you don't need a great vocab to write well. you also don't need to be from a rich area to write well. ever heard of the Harlem Renaissance? Langston Hughes? he came from the "ghetto" and was an AMAZING writer. sure, he went to college and got a high education, but that isn't absolutely necessary. i am just saying, not editing your poetry isn't street, it is lackluster and careless.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Menace Date: Saturday, 28/Feb/09, 2:11 PM | Message # 11

Heads
Quote (eboyd)
sure, he went to college and got a high education, but that isn't absolutely necessary.

it is man IT IS put me a dude whit no higher education to write something against a dude who finished college and obtained a degree and you will see the difference yes self education is good too but you need that official one to get better

eboyd Date: Saturday, 28/Feb/09, 2:13 PM | Message # 12

Heads
so wait, now you admit that you NEED a higher education to write great poetry? you confuse me! lol! biggrin

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Menace Date: Saturday, 28/Feb/09, 2:15 PM | Message # 13

Heads
Quote (eboyd)
so wait, now you admit that you NEED a higher education to write great poetry? you confuse me! lol

not entirely great poetry but to write proper poetry not poorly written as you say

eboyd Date: Saturday, 28/Feb/09, 2:24 PM | Message # 14

Heads
no, i disagree. music is comparable to poetry as they are both art that you can go through years of schooling to perfect, no? well then how did John Lennon, with not a stitch of schooling in music, becoming one of the greatest musical minds in music history? why do you think a poet can't do the same? there is just as much, if not more, technique to learn in music in comparison to poetry. trust me, this is coming from someone who studies and makes both.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Menace Date: Saturday, 28/Feb/09, 2:28 PM | Message # 15

Heads
as i said not great poetry or great music but still they do it proper grammatically speaking

Forum » Off-Topic » Regular Off-Topic » "Skinhead" By Patricia Smith
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search: