[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]

Login:
Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: s0dr2  
Forum » Off-Topic » Regular Off-Topic » YouTube blocks UK users from watching music videos (News)
YouTube blocks UK users from watching music videos
Chinita Date: Tuesday, 10/Mar/09, 9:37 AM | Message # 1

Heads
wtf?
http://tech.yahoo.com/news/ap/20090310/ap_on_hi_te/eu_britain_youtube

Posted on Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:38AM EDT
LONDON - Google Inc. said Monday it will block U.K. users from watching music videos on its popular video-sharing site YouTube after negotiations with Britain's music royalty-collecting body broke down.
Google said it would begin blocking British users starting Monday night. The Internet titan said it knew the move would cause "significant disappointment."

But it said its hand was forced by PRS for Music, which it said is asking for royalties that would cause Google to lose money every time a video was played on YouTube.

Our previous license from PRS for Music has expired, and we've been unable so far to come to an agreement to renew it on terms that are economically sustainable for us," Google said in a statement. Until a solution is found, it added, "we will be blocking premium music videos in the UK that have been supplied or claimed by record labels."

PRS for Music, which collects money on behalf of writers and publishers worldwide, said it was outraged by Google's move.

"Google has told us they are taking this step because they wish to pay significantly less than at present to the writers of the music on which their service relies, despite the massive increase in YouTube viewing," the group said in a statement.

Neither group revealed how much money is at stake in their negotiations.

YouTube has become an increasingly popular destination for record labels squeezed by declining sales for compact discs. The Web site has deals with three of the four major record labels but some rights-holders have balked at their cut of the advertising revenue.

In December, Warner Music pulled all of its music from YouTube, saying the payments it received did not fairly compensate the label or its artists and songwriters.

It was not clear how long the music videos would stay blocked. Both PRS for Music and Google said they hoped their dispute could be resolved quickly.

The video Leona Lewis's "Bleeding Love," licensed by Sony BMG Music Entertainment U.K. Ltd., which has garnered more than 83 million hits, was still visible from the U.K. late Monday.

ill Date: Tuesday, 10/Mar/09, 9:51 AM | Message # 2

Emcees
i this next monday or last?

i havnt noticed a change maybe its just big labels, but seriously we cant even listen to pandora anymore shit sucks here <_<

The World Is Yours
Chinita Date: Tuesday, 10/Mar/09, 9:58 AM | Message # 3

Heads
Quote (ill)
i havnt noticed a change maybe its just big labels, but seriously we cant even listen to pandora anymore shit sucks here <_<

man that sucks, youtube sucks..i dont know if they were talking about monday which was yesterday or if they mean starting next monday. I have read on youtube some people saying they were blocked from certan videos..dont know if its related to this but they are located in the UK.

Chinita Date: Wednesday, 11/Mar/09, 0:44 AM | Message # 4

Heads
Quote (ill)
this next monday or last?

i think it was yesterday they were talking about...

EmSeeD Date: Wednesday, 11/Mar/09, 1:18 AM | Message # 5

Heads
hahahahaha lol. its the record labels fault not you tube.

http://chirbit.com/emseed
http://youtube.com/siwooot
Kiba Date: Wednesday, 11/Mar/09, 4:32 AM | Message # 6

Emcees
Quote (EmSeeD)
hahahahaha lol. its the record labels fault not you tube.

Really? I would blame Google they seem to be getting arrogant in the last year or so
and not just with Yutube but with things like AdSense and other stuff.. Too much to explain
but google has turned into a buch of Jews of late look

Quote (LadyChinita)
Warner Music pulled all of its music from YouTube, saying the payments it received did not fairly compensate the label or its artists and songwriters.

Quote (LadyChinita)
Google has told us they are taking this step because they wish to pay significantly less than at present to the writers of the music on which their service relies, despite the massive increase in YouTube viewing

If it wasnt for these Labels/Music Youtube wouldnt be half as popular imo,
but now they are big they have turned into a bunch of dicks and will try to make it look like its the labels doing.

I looked at the moon so full and so bright
And then at the fireplace with its flickering light
And realised why this world will never be right

eboyd Date: Wednesday, 11/Mar/09, 11:32 AM | Message # 7

Heads
The labels are still just as evil if not more so than Google though, but Google is more powerful. They are one of the few corporations weathering this storm quite well. Unfortunately this world works that way today. The more power someone has the harder they can, and usually will, fuck people.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Forum » Off-Topic » Regular Off-Topic » YouTube blocks UK users from watching music videos (News)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: