[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]

Login:
Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Forum moderator: El_Matador, Aristotle, s0dr2, ThaScience  
Forum » Off-Topic » Sports & Entertainment » How to be a wide reciver (Help!)
How to be a wide reciver
ilikebacon3000 Date: Thursday, 26/Feb/09, 1:08 AM | Message # 1

Emcees
Ok well Im in 8th grade going to 9th and basically the high school lets us come up and work out on Tues and Thurs for an hour.
We ran 40's on tuesday and I got a 5.41 which is not a good speed for a riceiver. I think I should be hitting around 5.1 at the most, nothing higher.
I have moderately good hands and we are maxing out tomarrow so I will update on that.
what can I do to dramtically increase my 40 time?

Life's a bitch and I'm just along for the ride.
J-Breakz Date: Thursday, 26/Feb/09, 1:34 AM | Message # 2

Heads
Read up on the proper form of running and sprinting, then when u have free time go to a park and practice running... maybe get a friend to time u and keep on practicing 40s

livin life like some cheesy movie
eboyd Date: Thursday, 26/Feb/09, 8:39 AM | Message # 3

Heads
Quote (t_nizzle53)
Ok well Im in 8th grade going to 9th and basically the high school lets us come up and work out on Tues and Thurs for an hour.
We ran 40's on tuesday and I got a 5.41 which is not a good speed for a riceiver. I think I should be hitting around 5.1 at the most, nothing higher.
I have moderately good hands and we are maxing out tomarrow so I will update on that.
what can I do to dramtically increase my 40 time?

me being a certified personal trainer, i have a good amount of info on this specific subject, especially being that i play ball myself. i am actually a testament to this very style of training as i started in 9th grade at a 5.5, dropped to a 5.0 by 10th, 4.9 by 12th, and 4.5 by my sophomore year in college.

Quote (J-Breakz)
Read up on the proper form of running and sprinting, then when u have free time go to a park and practice running... maybe get a friend to time u and keep on practicing 40s

this is very good advice. i suggest reading anything you can on the techniques that Chris Carlisle, strength and conditioning coach at USC, talks about. you can also read up on USC's Strength and Conditioning clinic, that i actually attended 3 times, and you may be able to find info on the kinds of things they do. what i got from him that was very important is the irrelevance of strenuous lifting in athletics. he is a very unique coach and also very successful. i will paraphrase him. this is one of the things he said that really caught my attention: "how many times in a game does a football player have his back against another player and press his opponent for one repetition as slowly as he possibly can?" this was in response to someone asking him his opinion on the bench press. that being said, the program that i run, which is an adaptation of both Chris Carlisle's and a lesser known coach who i worked with for about a year who trained such big name athletes as world record breaking sprinter Maurice Green (who i actually had the pleasure of training with and vomiting in front of after one of the hardest workouts of my life biggrin ). so without further ado, here are some basics:

start thinking outside the box of traditional training. become familiar with plyometrics and other explosive training moves. a day of training with me might look like this:

• warm-up - consists of a slow jog, about 0.8 miles
  • dynamic stretch/warm up - check this video and this article for examples of dynamic stretches, an introduction to what they are, and why they are beneficial. you may as well create your own program of stretches. any additional muscles that are tight or recurring injuries should be further stretched statically
  • 75% speed uphill run, 5x - can be done on a small hill (about 50-100 yards) or bleachers
  • uphill backwards walk or jog - if no hill, avoid this. this may be too dangerous on bleachers, especially if you decide to jog
  • uphill A Skips, B Skips and C Skips (no hurdles needed. alternate legs also when doing this drill. you also want to do an A Skip, then the C Skip when actually performing this to make the rhythm easier to maintain) - 2x each. this can be done on a hill or bleachers
  • 10 uphill sprints practicing proper form
  • 20 5 yard sprints working on explosion
  • 2-4 sets of 25-50 yard bunny hops - jumping out as far as you can while still keeping balance and jumping again as quickly as you can once your feet touch the ground (this can also be done uphill/bleachers)
  • 5 sets each side (so a total of 10 sets) of 50 yard carioca, which can be done uphill as well
  • 3 sets of 25 yard bear crawls (you guessed it, uphill if possible)
  • cool down lap (same length but slower than warm up)
  • core (includes abs, obleques, AKA love handles, and low back). look the following up on the web: leg throw-downs, crunches, trunk twists, leg lifts, supermans, and if you think you are really skilled, try Floyd Mayweathers: lay in a sit up position with someone standing on your feet. instead of a mere sit up, you will attempt to stand all the way up. be careful here.

^^^this is a very intense workout. modify it to conform to the pace you are ready for. try not to exceed a 2 hour workout and if you can, confine it to 1 hour or less.

some weight room workouts that are VITAL are squats, power cleans and snatches. ask your coaches about these. they will surely know, otherwise they don't deserve to be coaching (i highly recommend not telling your coaches they don't deserve to coach though biggrin ).

here is some material on proper running technique:

http://www.runners-corner.com/form.php
http://www.active.com/story.cfm?CHECKSSO=0&STORY_ID=11111

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Aristotle Date: Thursday, 26/Feb/09, 4:14 PM | Message # 4

OGs
eboyd never dissapoints lol
(rep points given)

Youtube Channel
Lord_Meth Date: Thursday, 26/Feb/09, 6:47 PM | Message # 5

Heads
*applauds Erik* bb

Sick With It
eboyd Date: Thursday, 26/Feb/09, 7:50 PM | Message # 6

Heads
biggrin thank you!

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

eboyd Date: Saturday, 28/Feb/09, 1:59 AM | Message # 7

Heads
bump. t-nizzle, did you read this yet? if you didn't then i wasted my time. i need you to see this. i spent an hour or longer on this so i'll be pissed if you don't read it. tell me how it works out.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

ilikebacon3000 Date: Saturday, 28/Feb/09, 4:13 PM | Message # 8

Emcees
Quote (eboyd)
warm-up - consists of a slow jog, about 0.8 miles

Can I just run a full mile.. well actually jog?
Because im not the best on exact mesurements.

Quote (eboyd)
20 5 yard sprints working on explosion

Do I hit the 5, turn around, then immdaitly keep going, or hit the 5, stop, then get back in form and explode?

Also, Im going to be going back out for b-ball. So will the workouts need to be different? For instance, in B-Ball I am considered "Versitle". I can play anything because of my size, yet I fit in best at PF. The PF needs to be strong, therefore he might work on the bench and overall strength more than speed, while a WR is going to be hitting the track like everyday. I dont have acsess to weights everyday, but I can sneak into the high school stadium after they do track and run. (Ive done it before, the coachs dont care as long as you dont cause trouble.)

One more question, what do I do about diet?
I had a breif time when I ate 2 bananas and an orenge, but soda.... Ughh.
Its an addiction. What is a good diet that isnt extremely hard to follow?

Ughhhh one more thing LOL! What is the BEST way to get pecs lol......?

Added (28/Feb/09, 4:10 Pm)
---------------------------------------------

Quote (eboyd)

Can I just run a full mile.. well actually jog?
Because im not the best on exact mesurements.

Quote (eboyd)

Do I hit the 5, turn around, then immdaitly keep going, or hit the 5, stop, then get back in form and explode?

Also, Im going to be going back out for b-ball. So will the workouts need to be different? For instance, in B-Ball I am considered "Versitle". I can play anything because of my size, yet I fit in best at PF. The PF needs to be strong, therefore he might work on the bench and overall strength more than speed, while a WR is going to be hitting the track like everyday. I dont have acsess to weights everyday, but I can sneak into the high school stadium after they do track and run. (Ive done it before, the coachs dont care as long as you dont cause trouble.)

I had a breif time when I ate 2 bananas and an orenge, but soda.... Ughh.
Its an addiction. What is a good diet that isnt extremely hard to follow?

Ughhhh one more thing LOL! What is the BEST way to get pecs lol......?

Added (28/Feb/09, 4:13 Pm)
---------------------------------------------
By the way, about the dynamic strechs, we already do about half of those every practice, so If I stretch, do practice, then do the workout, is that ok??

eboyd Date: Saturday, 28/Feb/09, 6:35 PM | Message # 9

Heads
Quote (T-Nizzle)
Quote (eboyd)

Can I just run a full mile..

That's fine. I don't get that meticulous either. That is just the amount I did and got used to.

Quote (T-Nizzle)
Quote (eboyd)

I knew I needed to explain this better. On all of the workouts you do the drill, jog back to where you started and do the next rep. On this, when I say 5 yards, I mean explode for 5 and you will probably jog through 15-20 additional yards.

Quote (T-Nizzle)
Also, Im going to be going back out for b-ball. So will the workouts need to be different?

This workout is pretty much a universal athletic workout. I was doing this same workout with baseball players, female volleyball players, and yes, even basketball players. And remember, I play fullback. If anyone needs to stay big and be strong it's me. I weigh 225 lbs and I run a 4.5. I play softball with my family's church and they call me wheels. It doesn't matter how hard I hit, I get on base, and I knock dudes out on the fb field. You saw my highlight. I squat 550 lbs. That makes me fast and helps me hit. This workout is based on an athletic training concept called BFS: Bigger, Faster, Stronger. The idea is that the ideal athlete is bigger, faster and stronger than all of his opponents and without having all three you will never be the complete athlete. Of course we're only talking the physical aspects of an athlete, but youknow what I mean.

Quote (T-Nizzle)

I am not personally qualified, as my certification specifies, to give detailed diet advice without the assistance of a liscensed professional, however, if you are serious about this, I work with one of the best nutritionists (he is actually a biochemist so he basically has a doctorate in nutrition) in the world. He gives nutrition plans to all the Olympic athletes and if you are dedicated enough, I'll give you his number by PM and you can call him between 10AM and 4PM Pacific Standard Time and he will ask you some questions and build a diet plan for you and send it via fax/email/whatever for FREE! Also, you can call him at any time for advice (as long as it is during those hours. He may be there Saturdays too) and he will probably be able to figure out ways to make the diet easier for you. That's his job.

Quote (T-Nizzle)
What is the BEST way to get pecs lol

Your pecs get a workout by doing exercises like the bench press, chest press (the machine where you sit up and push the two bars straight forward), chest flys (in a bench position but doing flys instead), incline bench, decline bench, push ups, etc. Switch them up every once in a while and even switch up the way you do each every time, like do a set with bands or chains one day and a set with dumbells another. The idea is to constantly switch so you can fulfill this concept of "shocking the muscle" which will make it so that you avoid plateaus.

Quote (T-Nizzle)
By the way, about the dynamic strechs, we already do about half of those every practice, so If I stretch, do practice, then do the workout, is that ok??

Only if you are doing this directly after practice which I don't recommend.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

ilikebacon3000 Date: Saturday, 28/Feb/09, 6:47 PM | Message # 10

Emcees
So about the diet thing.... Do you think a GREAT diet would help me dramtically or not?

Boner-Jamz-11 Date: Saturday, 28/Feb/09, 6:48 PM | Message # 11

Rappers
how can I get buff like the terminator in his prime? Oh wait..... I already am

#TeamHipster
#SWAGSWAG

TUMBLR CLICK CLICK CLICK!
Boner-Jamz-11 Date: Saturday, 28/Feb/09, 6:52 PM | Message # 12

Rappers
I rub my nose against the wall

#TeamHipster
#SWAGSWAG

eboyd Date: Saturday, 28/Feb/09, 8:22 PM | Message # 13

Heads
Lol!

T-Nizzle, the diet is quite possibly more important than working out is. The main thing you need to know though is try to get 6 small meals in a day, avoid fast food, soda, milk, fatty meats, and potatoes. Your ideal meal is 1/2 the plate of veggies, 1/4 meat, 1/4 carbs (ideally brown rice). Whole food shakes will make this 10X easier. He'll explain what those are. Also, TONS of water.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

ilikebacon3000 Date: Saturday, 28/Feb/09, 9:52 PM | Message # 14

Emcees
Quote (eboyd)
avoid fast food, soda, milk

Shit..
I eat mcdonalds everyday on my way home and all I eat for lunch is pizza and chips and powerade...
This is gonna be tricky.

Boner-Jamz-11 Date: Saturday, 28/Feb/09, 9:54 PM | Message # 15

Rappers
Quote (t_nizzle53)
Shit..
I eat mcdonalds everyday on my way home and all I eat for lunch is pizza and chips and powerade...
This is gonna be tricky.

ur fucked

#TeamHipster
#SWAGSWAG

Forum » Off-Topic » Sports & Entertainment » How to be a wide reciver (Help!)
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search: