[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]

Login:
Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Forum moderator: El_Matador, Aristotle, s0dr2, ThaScience  
Forum » Off-Topic » Sports & Entertainment » Is This Racist?
Is This Racist?
EmSeeD Date: Tuesday, 05/Jan/10, 6:55 PM | Message # 1

Heads

http://chirbit.com/emseed
http://youtube.com/siwooot
NtG Date: Tuesday, 05/Jan/10, 6:58 PM | Message # 2

Heads
LMAO YES! but seriously, who doesnt love fried chicken?

[deleted]
abanks47 Date: Tuesday, 05/Jan/10, 6:58 PM | Message # 3

Emcees
wow that cant be real. i dont think it was done the intention of being racist but is pretty racist IMO.

LOL though, shits ridiculous

A WELL DRESSED SKELETON SLOWLY CUTS YOUR THROAT.

"I Have No Fear Whatsoever of Anybody or Anything" -Malcolm X

“those who consider themselves the most adamant adherents of “real” hip-hop can also be the least knowledgeable.” –Adilifu Nama; an excert from his perception of Nas’s “Genesis”

Aristotle Date: Tuesday, 05/Jan/10, 7:35 PM | Message # 4

OGs
It's stereotypical.

Youtube Channel
EmSeeD Date: Wednesday, 06/Jan/10, 9:05 PM | Message # 5

Heads

J-Breakz Date: Wednesday, 06/Jan/10, 9:20 PM | Message # 6

Heads
I think they're poking fun at stereotypes in order to make ppl remember the commercials, and they're doing a great job at it. Look at this, we're talking about KFC in a hip hop forum.

livin life like some cheesy movie
MAK_The_Lucid_Tongue Date: Thursday, 07/Jan/10, 10:56 AM | Message # 7

Emcees
LOL- it absolutely is stereotypical but I have yet to go into the kfc where i live and not see it packed with black folks(as well as whites)so I dont think ppl should be offended... The part I find strange is that he says its an awkward situation. Why? And did he bring in that bucket knowing it would be awkward for him.... and what if it were a different yet still awkward situation... would the 20 piece bucket still be suffice? ^_^

Added (07/Jan/10, 10:56 Am)
---------------------------------------------
[b]WOWWWWWW

"UNTIL THEY STOP ME, BURY, MURDER ME OR DROP ME, I GOT...THUG LUV FOR MY NATIONWIDE POSSE"

Chinita Date: Thursday, 07/Jan/10, 11:26 AM | Message # 8

Heads
Quote (MAK_The_Lucid_Tongue)
The part I find strange is that he says its an awkward situation. Why?

thats terrible and i was thinking the same thing, had to watch it a few times..what awkward situation is he in lol? for the person that made this commcerial "he was in an awkward situation" so he breaks out the kfc, thats deffinatley sending out a wrong message and looks racists even if he didn't intend it to be, we'll just never know what was on his mind...lol

Chinita Date: Thursday, 07/Jan/10, 11:29 AM | Message # 9

Heads
Quote (MAK_The_Lucid_Tongue)
WOWWWWWW

lol crazy video..

El_Matador Date: Thursday, 07/Jan/10, 12:52 PM | Message # 10

Heads
lol dumb video.

MENACE 2 JOKER: Go back to Mexico you damn spic
JOKER 2 MENACE: Shut up you fake nigga your a damn sand nigger not a full nigger

YANHAP1 Date: Thursday, 07/Jan/10, 1:36 PM | Message # 11

DJs
If the same cultural misconceptions exist in Australia as the US then yes.

However i think that the advert should be taken in the frame it is presented in....the rivalry between the West Indies and Australia in cricket.

Mabey like being in all Knicks gear at a Lakers end of an NBL final.

Perhaps this is not understood by those who live in non-cricketing nations and they inturn impose there own meaning to what they see.

If the food shared was salt fish aki or rice and peas then yes there may well be cultural inference....though then it would no longer be a KFC ad.

The man is sharing food to get out of an otherwise akward situation,KFC imply that thier food is good enough to do just that.

That this is perceived to be racist by some says more about the racially sensitive hardwiring of their psyches and the societies they live in than of any intention or accidental inference.

who killed bambi?

ALCATRAZ Date: Thursday, 07/Jan/10, 3:15 PM | Message # 12

Writers
It's an australian commercial so I'm not surprised, to say the least.

Of course there is a double standard because with any other group of people it would not be racist, but since those said people are black, it could definitely be seen as offensive.

"I personally think OBCL2 is better than the original" - Lord Meth

J-Breakz Date: Thursday, 07/Jan/10, 3:19 PM | Message # 13

Heads
Quote (YANHAP1)
That this is perceived to be racist by some says more about the racially sensitive hardwiring of their psyches and the societies they live in than of any intention or accidental inference.

I can't help but think they purposely hinted at racism to make the commercial easier to remember.

For example, how many children cartoon movies are there that have subliminal jokes of sex and such? I believe this is made so the adults could watch this with ther kids and laugh to themselves thinkin whether or not it was meant purposely. but ofcourse, there are people who just say adults have dirty minds lol.

livin life like some cheesy movie
EmSeeD Date: Friday, 08/Jan/10, 0:25 AM | Message # 14

Heads
i agree with yanhap, in context its actually a KFC ad made for the Australian vs West Indies tour, the guys surrounding the australian fan are all west indies fans, most people here probably don't even know the jokes about black americans and KFC, though us pacific islanders get the same jokes made about us. but i don't think its that racist, but to americans it is lol

YANHAP1 Date: Friday, 08/Jan/10, 8:48 AM | Message # 15

DJs
Quote (ALCATRAZ)
Of course there is a double standard because with any other group of people it would not be racist, but since those said people are black, it could definitely be seen as offensive.

By whom?

The subject matter Cricket, West Indies v Austrailia and chicken...which of course the company is trying to sell....the inference is that KFC's product is so good it bridges any rivalry.
Both West Indians and Austrailians and any other nation with knowledge of the sport understands this immediatly.

The American cultural experience is not the sole view theough which the rest of the world sees itself.

I fully understand your conclusion but it really bears no relevance to the ad or it's target audience.

Quote (J-Breakz)
I can't help but think they purposely hinted at racism to make the commercial easier to remember.

Your perception, valid perhaps if within a North American cultural context, is an impositon of that context on the rest of the world.

Quote (EmSeeD)
i agree with yanhap, in context its actually a KFC ad made for the Australian vs West Indies tour, the guys surrounding the australian fan are all west indies fans, most people here probably don't even know the jokes about black americans and KFC, though us pacific islanders get the same jokes made about us. but i don't think its that racist, but to americans it is lol

On point Muzzy, what is interesting is that those who have replied from the US term their experiences as definitive of the rest of the Globe....it is not a question of one group or another or double standards.The notion through which they choose to view the Ad enforces, further, racial stereotypes that they themselves no doubt abhor.

They have viewed these images through racialy tinted glasses and not viewed the West Indian/Australian cricketing culture...which is theme of the vid and chose solely to see Black/White American racial stereotype.

They don't see or acknowledge culture only race.

who killed bambi?

Forum » Off-Topic » Sports & Entertainment » Is This Racist?
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search: