[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]

Login:
Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
Forum moderator: Aristotle, s0dr2, ThaScience  
Forum » Real HIP HOP Forever » Rate & Review Music » Common - "Like Water For Chocolate"
Common - "Like Water For Chocolate"
How real is it?
1.100% - 91%[ 7 ][63.64%]
2.90% - 81%[ 1 ][9.09%]
3.80% - 71%[ 2 ][18.18%]
4.70% - 61%[ 0 ][0.00%]
5.60 - 51%[ 0 ][0.00%]
6.50% - 41%[ 0 ][0.00%]
7.40% - 31%[ 1 ][9.09%]
8.30% - 21%[ 0 ][0.00%]
9.20% - 11%[ 0 ][0.00%]
10.10% - 0%[ 0 ][0.00%]
Answers total: 11
Lord_Meth Date: Monday, 16/Mar/09, 4:10 PM | Message # 16

Heads
Does it really matter?
I still own u both so........wat r yall gettin at? <_<

Sick With It
SnoopG79 Date: Monday, 16/Mar/09, 6:14 PM | Message # 17

Beatboxers
Definitely a classic album. Common's second best IMO. I always put "Ressurection" over "LWFC" but the album is dope overall.

"The 6th Sense" alone makes the album worth having. One of Premo's best beats IMO.

Only god can judge me.
eboyd Date: Monday, 16/Mar/09, 6:47 PM | Message # 18

Heads
Quote (SnoopG79)
"The 6th Sense" alone makes the album worth having. One of Premo's best beats IMO.

my personal favorite. i've never understood the hype of Resurrection. i mean it's a dope album, definitely classic and all, and No ID is great, but J Dilla, Premo and others had some of their best production on LWFC and, lyrically, LWFC is a step up. "6th Sense" is actually my favorite Premo beat. Common goes from lyrically decent on "Resurrection"(minus the title track and "I Used To Love HER") to ranging from solid to surprised all the way through. it's just far better in every aspect, but everyone is hyped off of "Resurrection" because it was technically Common's first album (first when he found his style. i recognize "Can I Borrow A Dollar?" was his debut). it's like Blu. if he ever drops an album superior to "Below The Heavens," people will say "fuck no, "Below The Heavens" is WAAAY better" because it was a DAMN good debut and people in general have this debut album complex. they did it, most famously, with Nas, with Eric B. & Rakim, with KRS-One/BDP, etc. "Illmatic" was, IMO, just a classic album, but not the end all-be all of hip hop, and i prefer most of the tracks from "Stillmatic", Eric B. & Rakim had 3 other albums that are on par with, if not better, than "Paid In Full", and "Criminal Minded" was shit compared to "Return of the Boom Bap". people need to get over debuts and that includes "Resurrection" as it was the debut of Common's style.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

J-Breakz Date: Monday, 16/Mar/09, 9:34 PM | Message # 19

Heads
I jus prefer the production of Resurrection over LWFC... I mean, it had HOT ASS beats ("The Questions") but Resurrection had that rawer sound. Also, even tho I think LWFC had more mature and richer lyrics, Common goes into rhyme frenzies in Resurrection.

livin life like some cheesy movie

Message edited by J-Breakz - Monday, 16/Mar/09, 9:35 PM
J-Breakz Date: Monday, 16/Mar/09, 9:37 PM | Message # 20

Heads
Quote (8Diagrams)
You think beats are more important than lyrics???? Just because your father was a DJ doesn't mean you have to be entirely biased towards that elemnet.

I told you guys that? And yeah, I guess I got that from my dad... I'm jus a total beat junkie.

Lord_Meth Date: Monday, 16/Mar/09, 9:38 PM | Message # 21

Heads
Quote (J-Breakz)
I told you guys that? And yeah, I guess I got that from my dad... I'm jus a total beat junkie.

nothing wrong with that..Its all in the blood line

Sick With It
J-Breakz Date: Monday, 16/Mar/09, 9:38 PM | Message # 22

Heads
Not that I don't respect clever lyrics, Elzhi blows my mind lyrically

SnoopG79 Date: Tuesday, 17/Mar/09, 5:30 PM | Message # 23

Beatboxers
Quote (eboyd)
my personal favorite. i've never understood the hype of Resurrection. i mean it's a dope album, definitely classic and all, and No ID is great, but J Dilla, Premo and others had some of their best production on LWFC and, lyrically, LWFC is a step up. "6th Sense" is actually my favorite Premo beat. Common goes from lyrically decent on "Resurrection"(minus the title track and "I Used To Love HER") to ranging from solid to all the way through. it's just far better in every aspect, but everyone is hyped off of "Resurrection" because it was technically Common's first album (first when he found his style. i recognize "Can I Borrow A Dollar?" was his debut). it's like Blu. if he ever drops an album superior to "Below The Heavens," people will say "fuck no, "Below The Heavens" is WAAAY better" because it was a DAMN good debut and people in general have this debut album complex. they did it, most famously, with Nas, with Eric B. & Rakim, with KRS-One/BDP, etc. "Illmatic" was, IMO, just a classic album, but not the end all-be all of hip hop, and i prefer most of the tracks from "Stillmatic", Eric B. & Rakim had 3 other albums that are on par with, if not better, than "Paid In Full", and "Criminal Minded" was shit compared to "Return of the Boom Bap". people need to get over debuts and that includes "Resurrection" as it was the debut of Common's style.

I see what your saying & I get your point. For me, I just reach for "Ressurection" more than "LWFC". I do thou believe a part of you feels that way because compared to "LWFC", "Ressurection" sounds more dated as it should because it's an older album. But it's like I said when we've debated about this before, I think both albums are dope as hell & are very close in terms of which one I like. I just happen to like "Ressurection" a little more.

Only god can judge me.

Message edited by SnoopG79 - Tuesday, 17/Mar/09, 5:31 PM
ill Date: Tuesday, 17/Mar/09, 5:41 PM | Message # 24

Emcees
im not gonna lie i bought the album and i gotta say i was dissapointed

The World Is Yours
eboyd Date: Tuesday, 17/Mar/09, 6:10 PM | Message # 25

Heads
Which album? LWFC or Resurrection?

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

ill Date: Tuesday, 17/Mar/09, 6:16 PM | Message # 26

Emcees
LWFC

The World Is Yours
NtG Date: Tuesday, 17/Mar/09, 6:43 PM | Message # 27

Heads
WTF !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

[deleted]
eboyd Date: Tuesday, 17/Mar/09, 6:48 PM | Message # 28

Heads
What was so disappointing? Tracks like "Hot Shit," "The Questions," "Nag Champa," everything between tracks 9-15? I've heard that argument before. I personally liked all of them. You can't deny that "The Light" and "Sixth Sense" were GODLY though. It is JMO though that all of the tracks except "The Light"/"Sixth Sense" on LWFC >>>>>>> all the tracks on Resurrection except "Resurrection"/"I Used To Love HER" and "The Light"/"Sixth Sense" = "Resurrection"/"I Used To Love HER." If any Common album was disappointing it was Be. Sure, "Testify" was AMAZING and "Go" and a few others were pretty decent, but there was A LOT of filler on that album. "Finding Forever" is actually my second favorite Common album which is a really unpopular opinion but to me it recreates LWFC well and I like it because of that. It isn't "pop" sounding as everyone says, even with Lily Allen on a hook and Kanye on the beats. I still need to hear "One Day..." though.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

ill Date: Tuesday, 17/Mar/09, 7:01 PM | Message # 29

Emcees
dunno i heard all this talk of it being a classic and one of commons best pieces, i love common but this wasnt there for me. the light annoys me too, i dunno why. but yeah it just seemed flat, i guess thats kinda his style but still

The World Is Yours
eboyd Date: Tuesday, 17/Mar/09, 7:06 PM | Message # 30

Heads
It was a very soft, emotional album, almost jazzy. If you can't get into very soft, sentimental stuff you won't like this. What about "Song for Assata"? "Ghetto Heaven Pt. 2"? Did you like those? I thought they were dope. Idk.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Forum » Real HIP HOP Forever » Rate & Review Music » Common - "Like Water For Chocolate"
Search: