[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]

Login:
Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Forum moderator: Aristotle, s0dr2, ThaScience  
Forum » Real HIP HOP Forever » Rate & Review Music » Saul Williams - Saul Williams
Saul Williams - Saul Williams
Lord_Meth Date: Wednesday, 22/Jul/09, 3:18 PM | Message # 1

Heads
okay without further delay (and threatening E-mails from Erik forcing me to listen to this album) heres a review for this album

Flow: 80%
Lyrics: 90%
Production: 69%
X-Factor: 75%
Overall: 78%

I honestly was kinda disappointed with this album...The way our very own member of the Official Saul Williams Fan Club, Erik Boyd talks about him..You would expect some deep..concous..complex poems, rhymes watever...but thats clearly not the case...You give a poet a chance to make an album and all you get is a Black Guy screaming "It's Yours!!" with blaring Rock n Roll beats in the background.......Apart from the akward attempts to sound like Aerosmith, you cant neglect somewhere..deep inside those weird yelps there is a story being told....despite how weird it may sound...He gets reps for trying :D

Sick With It
Menace Date: Wednesday, 22/Jul/09, 3:33 PM | Message # 2

Heads
if your not used to proto rap like Gil Scot Heron or The Last Poets and such you will never feel this

Lord_Meth Date: Wednesday, 22/Jul/09, 3:51 PM | Message # 3

Heads
Quote (Menace)
if your not used to proto rap like Gil Scot Heron or The Last Poets and such you will never feel this

I guess thats my problem then lol

Sick With It
eboyd Date: Wednesday, 22/Jul/09, 5:05 PM | Message # 4

Heads
Are you serious?!?!!????!?!? Did you actually listen to the lyrics or did you just hear rock sounding beats and go "no, this is wack"? I mean it's cool if you did, but you said it's not deep???? Wtf???? You obviously listened with your ears shut.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Lord_Meth Date: Wednesday, 22/Jul/09, 5:08 PM | Message # 5

Heads
Quote (eboyd)
Are you serious?!?!!????!?!? Did you actually listen to the lyrics or did you just hear rock sounding beats and go "no, this is wack"? I mean it's cool if you did, but you said it's not deep???? Wtf???? You obviously listened with your ears shut.

I kinda dragged the deep part for laughs, but overall he wasnt as deep as I was hoping he would be............

Sick With It
eboyd Date: Wednesday, 22/Jul/09, 5:20 PM | Message # 6

Heads
Why? Because he had tracks like African Student Movement and that one where he was pretending to be a gangsta rapper but talking about what they are thinking instead of what they actually say? Or maybe because he had poetry about hip hop? Subject matter means nothing if what you are bringing to the table is well written. Maybe it's that you can't understand what he's saying on the songs where he's singing. Do you even know the message on List of Demands (which, btw, is on a Nike commercial)? Maybe he is just over your head with tracks like "Seaweed" and so he is deep but you just didn't catch the message in the metaphors.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Lord_Meth Date: Wednesday, 22/Jul/09, 5:22 PM | Message # 7

Heads
Quote (eboyd)
Why? Because he had tracks like African Student Movement and that one where he was pretending to be a gangsta rapper but talking about what they are thinking instead of what they actually say? Or maybe because he had poetry about hip hop? Subject matter means nothing if what you are bringing to the table is well written. Maybe it's that you can't understand what he's saying on the songs where he's singing. Do you even know the message on List of Demands (which, btw, is on a Nike commercial)? Maybe he is just over your head with tracks like "Seaweed" and so he is deep but you just didn't catch the message in the metaphors.

to be honest its probably all of the above lol...but this is my review off one listen...in time my opinion will change....but as for now...it was okay at best

Sick With It
eboyd Date: Thursday, 23/Jul/09, 3:41 PM | Message # 8

Heads
Lol! 8 hit the nail on the head here! :D Meth thinks Luda has CRAZY punches because he doesn't comprehend any of the punches that artists who are far better than him make rofl

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

MAK_The_Lucid_Tongue Date: Thursday, 23/Jul/09, 3:52 PM | Message # 9

Emcees
Lyrically he's cool but I just cant sit and listen too long.... the format of the "music"(not lyrics) really gets to me after a while.... some of its cool but some of it irritates the shit outta me..... hard to concentrate on lyrics when I'm taking computer gunshots to the ear drum....

"UNTIL THEY STOP ME, BURY, MURDER ME OR DROP ME, I GOT...THUG LUV FOR MY NATIONWIDE POSSE"

Menace Date: Thursday, 23/Jul/09, 3:57 PM | Message # 10

Heads
experimental hip hop and hip hop that tends to reach to her spoken word roots is very underrated the artists that do such music are geniuses but they are very underrated because your average hip hop fan wanna hear raw or "gangsta" beats and "niggas" spitting "fire"

MAK_The_Lucid_Tongue Date: Thursday, 23/Jul/09, 4:05 PM | Message # 11

Emcees
Quote (8Diagrams)
Could you listen to him acapella?

Quote (Menace)
experimental hip hop and hip hop that tends to reach to her spoken word roots is very underrated the artists that do such music are geniuses but they are very underrated because your average hip hop fan wanna hear raw or "gangsta" beats and "niggas" spitting "fire"

I could listen to him acapella, yeah... but again... not for too long...... One thing to remember is that were also talking about music here... I don't know about you but I think of "music" as something that my ears enjoy and better yet, hopefiully makes me feel good inside... those kind of experimental beats and trying to be different/intricate are cool, i guess for a bit but lets be honest people are gonna wanna hear what touches their own ear... i don't think that makes me an "average hiphop fan".... cuz I listen to All types of music from billy joel, to def leppard to sarah maclaughlin to sade to rancid to ultramagnetic mc's to talib kweli, etc.... Hardcore Heavy metal and beats that sound all over the place are just not for me...I keep an open mind to everything tho'....... that's all......I personally would never buy a Saul Williams album but I do see why people like him.

"UNTIL THEY STOP ME, BURY, MURDER ME OR DROP ME, I GOT...THUG LUV FOR MY NATIONWIDE POSSE"

Menace Date: Thursday, 23/Jul/09, 4:09 PM | Message # 12

Heads
nah is not about you or your comment i wanted to post my comment for a while i never had the chance tough and i mean that some hip hop fans stick to just one format of hip hop music in my opinion a music genre to develop it needs people like this to push it to other limits and sorry if i offended you or something Mak i never intended

eboyd Date: Thursday, 23/Jul/09, 4:13 PM | Message # 13

Heads
Idk man. I fucking LOVE those beats and could listen to them ALL DAY! I could listen to Prefuse 73, Saul Williams, RJD2, DJ Shadow, Dabrye, Trent Reznor, etc. ALL DAY!

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

MAK_The_Lucid_Tongue Date: Thursday, 23/Jul/09, 4:31 PM | Message # 14

Emcees
Quote (Menace)
nah is not about you or your comment i wanted to post my comment for a while i never had the chance tough and i mean that some hip hop fans stick to just one format of hip hop music in my opinion a music genre to develop it needs people like this to push it to other limits and sorry if i offended you or something Mak i never intended

Naw, I never took any offence...... okay, maybe a little when u said average hiphop fan -lol- but if it wasnt directed at me its cool......... i understand what you mean though... a lotta "hiphop heads" are extremely closed minded.

Lord_Meth Date: Friday, 24/Jul/09, 9:45 PM | Message # 15

Heads
Quote (eboyd)
Idk man. I fucking LOVE those beats and could listen to them ALL DAY! I could listen to Prefuse 73, Saul Williams, RJD2, DJ Shadow, Dabrye, Trent Reznor, etc. ALL DAY!

Hmph and nobody jumps on you eh? For now on Im bout to give Erik a hard time about liking Saul Williams.......See how it feels whenever you guys make fun of me liking Ludacris

Sick With It
Forum » Real HIP HOP Forever » Rate & Review Music » Saul Williams - Saul Williams
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search: