[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]

Login:
Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: Aristotle, s0dr2, ThaScience  
Forum » Real HIP HOP Forever » Rate & Review Music » Royal Flush - "Ghetto Millionaire"
Royal Flush - "Ghetto Millionaire"
What do you think about this album?
1.100 - 90[ 2 ][50.00%]
2.89 - 80[ 1 ][25.00%]
3.79 - 70[ 0 ][0.00%]
4.69 - 60[ 0 ][0.00%]
5.59 - 50[ 1 ][25.00%]
6.49 - 40[ 0 ][0.00%]
7.39 -30[ 0 ][0.00%]
8.29 - 20[ 0 ][0.00%]
9.19 - 10[ 0 ][0.00%]
10.9 - 0[ 0 ][0.00%]
Answers total: 4
Kiba Date: Monday, 27/Oct/08, 10:16 PM | Message # 1

Emcees

Queens rapper Royal Flush's debut arrived in 1997 at a time when New York's swiftly evolving hip hop sound had reached a distinct point. "Ghetto Millionaire" perfectly captures the mid- to late-90s borough sound. Flush's thick accent and tales of paper chases and project life, backed by quintissential New York production, proved a winning formula on this notably consistent 22-track effort. Guests are limited to similarly-minded Queens rappers Mic Geronimo, Noreaga, and his Wastlanz crew, each of whom appear extensively and contribute to the album's consistency. There is no weak point during the hourlong tracklist, and the rhymes and beats remain totally up to par.

Flush has a nice flow and delivery, and he shows charm and swagger as he recounts stories concerning the Queens lifestyle, even venturing into mafioso and reality rap. He is engaging and imaginative, although he does not break any new ground as a streets MC. The strong production features rolling basslines, horns and pianos for a very East Coast sound, with some beats sparklier than others. It's always smooth and clean. There aren't many flaws. The songs are a bit formulaic, because each follows the format of a looped beat, three verses, and rapalong chorus, so it can grow a bit monotonous. However, it's hard to fault Flush, because he has a style and executes it well. Even still, two of the best tracks, the classy party cut "N...s Night Out" (check for a young uncredited Ja Rule on the hook) and the heartfelt yet familiar "Dead Letter," with a similarly gorgeous musical backing, are those that break the formula. The album also lacks a surefire anthem or posse cut critical in Flush's brand of rap, but this may just be a byproduct of the LP's consistency.

Highlights are frequent. The exciting Noreaga collaboration "Iced Down Medallions" utilizes an effective horn fanfare, while the smooth "Can't Help It" is well-polished. Flush trades lines with pal Mic Geronimo on the rugged "Illiodic Shines" and again on the excellent Beatminerz-produced "Movin' on Your Weak Productions." The breezy "Shines" is immediately catchy and appealing with a strong hook, and "What a Shame" is a lyrical and musical standout. The bass-heavy Mic Geronimo duet "Regulate" is a streets anthem, and "Worldwide"'s verses hit especially hard. "Makin' Moves" is a late highlight, with a phenomenal beat anchored by muted trumpets and xylophone.

Even if you missed it the first time around, listeners will find nostalgia in "Ghetto Millionaire" because it so accurately portrays the New York sound of its time. In '97 so much great music was coming from the city that albums this good sadly went relatively unnoticed by the masses. Flush's name may not be well known, but like his buddy Mic Geronimo he delivered quality no-frills hip hop without exploring much new territory. This album still sounds great over ten years later, and it has an awesome feel.

This cd is a must have, a nice piece to have specially if your building up an unknown/undergound collection!!! Or if your a big fan of East Coast rap.
If you like artists like Cappadonna from the wu tang, showbiz from D.I.T.C. you will def love flush!

Lyrics: 80%
Flow: 90%
Production: 95%
X-Factor: 90%
Overall: 90%

I looked at the moon so full and so bright
And then at the fireplace with its flickering light
And realised why this world will never be right

Deadly-Sin Date: Monday, 27/Oct/08, 11:38 PM | Message # 2

Removed
I have no idea who that is.
anyways im not in to hip-hop much anymore
its getting kinda boring theres no new style flavor anymore
LyricalContent Date: Monday, 27/Oct/08, 11:49 PM | Message # 3

Watchers
I give it a 100-90 I had it when it came out It was a dope album
EmSeeD Date: Monday, 27/Oct/08, 11:57 PM | Message # 4

Heads
Quote (Genasydal)

surprised yeah it needs a new evolution to keep going

http://chirbit.com/emseed
http://youtube.com/siwooot
Kiba Date: Tuesday, 28/Oct/08, 0:47 AM | Message # 5

Emcees
Quote (EmSeed)
yeah it needs a new evolution to keep going

Man yall just need to find som alternate artists insted of the norm
have you listened to any living legends b4? Or anyone in it?

Menace Date: Tuesday, 28/Oct/08, 11:37 AM | Message # 6

Heads
Quote (Genasydal)

of course if u dont digg and u are a lazy ass porch monkey (racial slur) how u can get new flavors if u dont digg and keep and a mind and ear open

Kiba Date: Thursday, 30/Oct/08, 8:21 AM | Message # 7

Emcees
Quote (Menace)
lazy ass porch monkey

lol whats a porch monkey?

Meth Date: Saturday, 01/Nov/08, 11:38 AM | Message # 8

Watchers
aint that a diss to mexicans.......?
Menace Date: Saturday, 01/Nov/08, 11:44 AM | Message # 9

Heads
Quote (Meth)
aint that a diss to mexicans.......?

no thats for black a porch money as in a monkey a black that does nothing but sit on his porch and do nothing as in porch monkey

Meth Date: Saturday, 01/Nov/08, 12:00 PM | Message # 10

Watchers
ohhhh ok..................
whoa huh...?
Forum » Real HIP HOP Forever » Rate & Review Music » Royal Flush - "Ghetto Millionaire"
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: