[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]

Login:
Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
  • Page 2 of 2
  • «
Forum moderator: Aristotle, s0dr2, ThaScience  
Forum » Real HIP HOP Forever » Rate & Review Music » Jeru the Damaja - The Sun Rises in the East
Jeru the Damaja - The Sun Rises in the East
How many mics should this album get?
1. 5 mics - Classic [ 7 ] [70.00%]
2. 4 mics - Exceptional [ 1 ] [10.00%]
3. 3 mics - Good [ 0 ] [0.00%]
4. 2 mics - Average [ 2 ] [20.00%]
5. 1 mic - Garbage [ 0 ] [0.00%]
Answers total: 10
Kiba Date: Tuesday, 22/Sep/09, 5:31 AM | Message # 16

Emcees
It's absolutely retarded to rate an album song by song. Music is more than the sum of its parts..
Jeru is incredibly profound. It goes beyond hip hop and even society as we know it. I was jolted by the intro on his second album when he was talking about keeping the mental very still. This philosophy is on the level of the great Jiddu Krishnamurti. There is no good or bad: there just is. This is not existentialism. It is more akin to a philosophy of living in the present instead of in the past (dead knowledge and experiences) and the future (the psychological tomorrow that doesn't really exist). One has pure and whole energy to live in the present when one realizes the fragmentary process of acting in the "now" based on dead yesterdays or non-existant tomorrows. This is true awareness and alas genuine intelligence.

Anyway what else can be said about Jeru and this production by Premo. I honestly think that this production got Premo more buzz than any of the Gang Starr albums. Every cut weighs heavy and has a lot of lyrical content. Jeru started really mastering the on beat off beat rhyme scheme more than any other rapper and made it his signature. This is a gem that every head should own, no filler or massive guest appearances. 100%

I looked at the moon so full and so bright
And then at the fireplace with its flickering light
And realised why this world will never be right

Forum » Real HIP HOP Forever » Rate & Review Music » Jeru the Damaja - The Sun Rises in the East
  • Page 2 of 2
  • «
Search: