[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]

Login:
Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: Aristotle, s0dr2, ThaScience  
Forum » Real HIP HOP Forever » Rate & Review Music » KRS-One & True Master - Meta-Historical
KRS-One & True Master - Meta-Historical
What Do You Rate It?
1.Classic[ 1 ][50.00%]
2.90-80[ 0 ][0.00%]
3.80-70[ 0 ][0.00%]
4.70-60[ 1 ][50.00%]
5.60-50[ 0 ][0.00%]
6.50-40[ 0 ][0.00%]
7.40-30[ 0 ][0.00%]
8.30-20[ 0 ][0.00%]
9.20-10[ 0 ][0.00%]
10.10-0[ 0 ][0.00%]
Answers total: 2
EmSeeD Date: Monday, 20/Sep/10, 0:01 AM | Message # 1

Heads
KRS-One & True Master - Meta-Historical

Lyrics:

- rhymes (multi's, punches, flow etc) 65%
- subject matter/song concepts 60% (a generous 60%, because even though i didn't like it it was the theme of the album and stayed consistant with his beliefs, i actually wanted to give it a 50%)

Overall Lyrics: 62.5%

Production:

- beats 80% (some very dope True Master beats, i wish he had done beats like these some the recent Wu projects, One Two Heres What We Gon Do & One Of Them Days were my fave)
- theme/consistancy 70% (consistant with the concept of the lyrics, went well together, some classic wu production at times)

Overall Production:
75%

Overall: 62%

ok i know you know i don't like KRS recent stuff or his hip hop religion thing, but i wanted to give this album a try after hearing a couple tracks that sounded pretty good to me, so i thought i'd give it an honest listen.

krs already has a huge legacy in hip hop and now has 25 albums and projects released since his first in 87, but he's showing no signs of stopping there, and this is what i thought of his latest project

Intro - as expected the intro has krs preaching his usual gospel-braggadocio type message, at the end sounds like he talks in toungues (yes i'm being serious)

Murda Ya - the opening track has a hard and pretty sick beat, kinda simple and repeats a lot but the sample fits very well with krs style. on this track i actually like krs jamaican style chorus. ok rhymes

Madonna & Child - idk what to think of this one. KRS-one says the famous Madonna & Child painting (baby Jesus in the arms of Mary) is like how he was born into hip hop and hip hop was his single parent, how he was born into the hip hop goddess with no choice...ah...yeah i hope he's not trying to claim to be the jesus of his hip hop religion

Unified Field - cool beat, and much better rhymes from krs than other recent songs imo, dope flow too. liked the lines "you know money's made of cotton so why you chasing paper?", "you can't even play your own rhymes for your mother". he had some other good type of shots at modern day 'thug' type rappers too. not that i'm some kinda whinging hater, i just thought the lines were pretty good

Gimmie Da 90's - very very sick beat, classic boom bap sound with a dope sample in the chorus. krs pays tribute to all the classic songs of the 90's, don't really like the chorus from krs though

Revelation
- in this skit krs talks about the judgement in the bible and then says we need to look at our own god, the god of our people. of course by this he actually means the god of hip hop, at the end he says "if you want to escape armaggeddon read a different book", the guy interviewing him says "wow thats hip hop" krs says "yes thats hip hop"...ah....right...

Knowledge Reigns Supreme - right now we're past KRS trying to promote his own form of hip hop religion lets get back to the music. the beat is once again sick, rhymes are pretty good, flow is dope, chorus is done by True Master himself, imo the chorus is wack. krs is once again trying to promote his form of hip hop religion in the song, one line that stuck out to me was "if krs ain't divine with rhyme than the pope ain't either"...ah....right....now i'm really starting to wonder about that earlier skit where he claimed to be like jesus in the arms of mary in the famous madonna & child painting.

My Mind - in this skit krs talks about how powerful his mind is. he says his mind will beat up anyone elses mind and rob them. he says "my mind will blow your mind, my mind will make your mind take off your jewells and give em to me, you wanna walk around with money? my mind will make you take the money out of your pocket and give it to me"...ah...oh shit...now i'm really really starting to wonder about that skit where he compared himself to jesus in a hip hop goddess arms

Palm & Fist - krs talks about the significance and symbolism of a palm and fist. the usual knowledge/preaching stuff he does, pretty interesting, once again didn't like the chorus sung by some lady

One of Them Days - very sick beat from True Master, this is a great beat and easily the best on the album so far, i wish krs wasn't singing the chorus though coz his singing voice is terrible, but even that can't ruin the song this time. one of the best songs on the album

Ancient Hip Hop - another skit where krs talks about hip hop being sent to them in ceder park, then says no that was really the beginning of rap, but hip hop was around in the ancient days with the ancient cave men...right... this is what every new religion tries to do, to establish the new religion they must first make a claim that they didn't start the religion and that the religion was around since the beginning of time. (jews say judaism wasn't started by moses but was around since adam and eve, christians will say christianity wasn't started with jesus but was around since adam and eve, muslims will say the same thing about mohammed, hindus also say the same thing about their religion. so this is why krs is now trying to say hip hop was around since the beginning of time, because he knows for hip hop to be a religion he has to try to make some link to the earliest man and claim the hip hop god was with them since then

Old School Hip Hop - don't like this song at all, nothing going for it, very boring. krs starts off talking about old school hip hop being raw while some lady sings "old school hip hip hop hop, you know we need ya baby" yeah thats raw alright lol

Naga - another skit where krs talks about the word "nigga/nigger/naga". i actually think this is a pretty good skit, he talks about hip hop as a 'language' and how people should use the word nigga, i actually think its a pretty good skit though

One Two Heres What We Gon Do - this beat is also sick, also one of the best songs on the whole album, ok rhymes, more of the same shit really, sick beat from True Master is only part i really like. RZA's guest verse is incredibly off beat and i know RZA usually always rhymes of beat but this is even MORE off beat than usual, its like he just recorded it without even listening to the beat and just slapped it on. i actually can't even understand what RZA's saying thats how off beat it is. beat is so dope though this would have been an instant classic with wu-tang on it, Inspectah Deck would have gone hard on this

Freeman
- another skit, krs talking about being a true free man and then brags about his temple of hip hop

Meta-Historical
- another sick sick beat from True Master, an interesting concept from krs-one where he talks about history repeating itself, kinda like some karma type shit. "did you know ronald regan was a dj, napoleon wrote graffiti". also talks about time being an illusion

The Struggle - another skit where krs says sharing a struggle is what makes us hip hop and not whether you can rap, dj, breakdance etc, apparently what makes us hip hop is being poor in an urban city, not like the police and struggling....hmm.....i can see what he means, since hip hop was really produced from this. but i don't think you have to be a poor person in a big city to be hip hop, not in this day an age where hip hop is universal and all over the world

Street Rhymer - another sick beat from True Master, ok rhymes from krs but its simply more braggodicio rhymes about how great he thinks he is. after album after album this concept is really starting to get played out for me. another sick beat features an ok verse from cappadonna. dammit i wish these beats were on a wu album instead.

He's Us - True Master owned this track with his only verse on the album, i mean he really stole the track lyrically, his flow and lyrics were doper than KRS

Outro - yeah i've had enough of this album. its basically krs sucking his own dick again

http://chirbit.com/emseed
http://youtube.com/siwooot
Treach Date: Monday, 20/Sep/10, 8:43 AM | Message # 2

OGs
Quote (EmSeeD)
yeah i've had enough of this album. its basically krs sucking his own dick again

Lol

"We took pride in intellect and skill
Now you gotta have some sex appeal to get a record deal"
- K-RINO
EmSeeD Date: Monday, 20/Sep/10, 7:03 PM | Message # 3

Heads
ok check out this quote from KRS-One

"You really don’t know who’s KRS-One, I could be God in uniform coming to you right now with salvation. I’m only looking to sell 144,000 copies that’s it, and those who catch on will be with me in heaven others will lose out."

hmm...i think i'm starting to see where he's going with his reincarnation theory he raps about on the song Meta-Historical. if that quote doesn't alarm you about KRS-One then shake

and then check this quote out

"i was born into hip hop, i had no choice, first of all i was born with a single parent psh, hip hop begins just like that, matter of fact most cultures begin, the maddonna and child imagery, the great goddess holding the christ child"

http://chirbit.com/emseed
http://youtube.com/siwooot
Menace Date: Monday, 20/Sep/10, 7:40 PM | Message # 4

Heads
i love Krs-One but oh man I'm really beginning to get sick of him and his pseudo-religious antics . I mean if he would stick to making good hip hop music that would be GREAT .

Forum » Real HIP HOP Forever » Rate & Review Music » KRS-One & True Master - Meta-Historical
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: