Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
Forum moderator: I_Guy, eboyd, El_Matador  
Forum » Off-Topic » Creative Writing » Need some Book Writing Advice
Need some Book Writing Advice
Lord_Meth Date: Thursday, 09/Jul/09, 4:52 PM | Message # 16

Heads
Quote (eboyd)
dude, a book is anything from a textbook to a novel. i think you are referring to a novel. there are different levels in this category. there's the novel, clocking in at the longest length (about 500 plus pages), a novella which is the second longest (about 250- +/- 500 pages) and then the shortest is the short story (clocking in at around 100 or so pages). there are different writing techniques for each because length does dictate a lot but you still need to be equally descriptive in each. the reason is if you paint a vivid enough picture the reader can literally put him/herself into that scene and they will feel your story a lot more.

Is there anyway to practice writing?

Sick With It
eboyd Date: Thursday, 09/Jul/09, 5:07 PM | Message # 17

Heads
Quote (Lord_Meth)
Is there anyway to practice writing?

yeah, it's called writing. lol!

nah, but seriously, my professor used to always assign some unique yet vague exercise for us every class and we could do whatever length we wanted. most people wrote like 3 pages each week. i'll give you an example of a topic he'd have us write on:

"describe a scene in vivid detail that covers a VERY short period of time (like 2 seconds)."

and so you would take that and create an entire story line within the space of "like 2 seconds" that would stretch out for like 5 pages.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Lord_Meth Date: Thursday, 09/Jul/09, 5:11 PM | Message # 18

Heads
Quote (eboyd)
"describe a scene in vivid detail that covers a VERY short period of time (like 2 seconds)."
and so you would take that and create an entire story line within the space of "like 2 seconds" that would stretch out for like 5 pages

I heard of that technique before
We read a story like that in English class..It was this guy whose paper flew out his windown and onto a nearby ledge. So he goes out the window to get it and the story is like.....40 pages of him getting his paper and getting back to his apartment but in his time in took only 7 minutes
So the author dragged everything out

Sick With It
eboyd Date: Thursday, 09/Jul/09, 5:23 PM | Message # 19

Heads
Quote (Lord_Meth)
I heard of that technique before
We read a story like that in English class..It was this guy whose paper flew out his windown and onto a nearby ledge. So he goes out the window to get it and the story is like.....40 pages of him getting his paper and getting back to his apartment but in his time in took only 7 minutes
So the author dragged everything out

yeah, that's just one style though. there are many different styles that we toy with.

you should read some of the short stories i read senior year like Fredrich Nietzsche's "No Exit." crazy shit, but a good example of good writing that is also philosophical.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Lord_Meth Date: Thursday, 09/Jul/09, 5:24 PM | Message # 20

Heads
Quote (eboyd)
yeah, that's just one style though. there are many different styles that we toy with.
you should read some of the short stories i read senior year like Fredrich Nietzsche's "No Exit." crazy shit, but a good example of good writing that is also philosophical.

From the books Ive read Im more into the Thriller genre
Im a big fan of Christopher Pike..u heard of him?

Sick With It
eboyd Date: Thursday, 09/Jul/09, 5:27 PM | Message # 21

Heads
yeah, but i've never really read his shit nor have i really cared to get into it. not me thing. whatever you like you like though. i'm not knocking it.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Lord_Meth Date: Thursday, 09/Jul/09, 5:27 PM | Message # 22

Heads
Quote (eboyd)
yeah, but i've never really read his shit nor have i really cared to get into it. not me thing. whatever you like you like though. i'm not knocking it

wat type of genres are your more into?

Sick With It
eboyd Date: Thursday, 09/Jul/09, 5:32 PM | Message # 23

Heads
Quote (Lord_Meth)
wat type of genres are your more into?

it's not so much genres that i like when reading as it is writing styles. i like James Joyce, i loved Upton Sinclair's "The Jungle", "Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley was quite good... i've noticed i like a lot of weird stories, especially with underlying philosophical messages like the one i mentioned. also, i've been meaning to read more Sartre. oh, and "Day of the Locusts" by Nathanael West was damn good too.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Lord_Meth Date: Thursday, 09/Jul/09, 5:37 PM | Message # 24

Heads
Quote (eboyd)
it's not so much genres that i like when reading as it is writing styles. i like James Joyce, i loved Upton Sinclair's "The Jungle", "Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley was quite good... i've noticed i like a lot of weird stories, especially with underlying philosophical messages like the one i mentioned. also, i've been meaning to read more Sartre. oh, and "Day of the Locusts" by Nathanael West was damn good too.

I dont think Ive read a book with Philosphy.....but then again Im only 16 lol

Sick With It
eboyd Date: Thursday, 09/Jul/09, 5:41 PM | Message # 25

Heads
Quote (Lord_Meth)
I dont think Ive read a book with Philosphy.....but then again Im only 16 lol

you'll get there senior year. i do recommend you read some before then though. they are FASCINATING!

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Lord_Meth Date: Thursday, 09/Jul/09, 5:43 PM | Message # 26

Heads
Quote (eboyd)
you'll get there senior year. i do recommend you read some before then though. they are FASCINATING!

I dont think our school library has any books like that...idk I gotta check when school rolls back around

Sick With It
eboyd Date: Thursday, 09/Jul/09, 5:45 PM | Message # 27

Heads
Quote (Lord_Meth)
I dont think our school library has any books like that...idk I gotta check when school rolls back around

dude, they're easy to find. you ever been to Borders? Barnes & Noble? lol!

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Lord_Meth Date: Thursday, 09/Jul/09, 5:59 PM | Message # 28

Heads
Quote (eboyd)
dude, they're easy to find. you ever been to Borders? Barnes & Noble? lol!

Yea but my mom is lazy lol and cheap.....

Sick With It
eboyd Date: Thursday, 09/Jul/09, 6:02 PM | Message # 29

Heads
lol

public library?

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Lord_Meth Date: Thursday, 09/Jul/09, 6:04 PM | Message # 30

Heads
Quote (eboyd)
public library?

yea High School....not College

I would be dead if I was in a Public Library like literally...I would have to be murdered, dragged, and dumped in a library for me to be there

Sick With It
Forum » Off-Topic » Creative Writing » Need some Book Writing Advice
Search: