• Page 1 of 3
  • »
Forum moderator: I_Guy, eboyd, El_Matador  
Forum » Off-Topic » Creative Writing » Need some Book Writing Advice
Need some Book Writing Advice
Lord_Meth Date: Tuesday, 07/Jul/09, 9:05 PM | Message # 1

Heads
Okay so Im bout to start writing this story I been wanting to do
But Ive learned from past experience you cant finish a story by just diving head-first in it and writing off spontaneous thoughts
So wat would the correct way to writing a story go?

Sick With It
eboyd Date: Wednesday, 08/Jul/09, 2:41 AM | Message # 2

Heads
Quote (Lord_Meth)
Okay so Im bout to start writing this story I been wanting to do
But Ive learned from past experience you cant finish a story by just diving head-first in it and writing off spontaneous thoughts
So wat would the correct way to writing a story go?

seriously bro, that IS the way to do it. you have to pump out the story while you still have your drive to write in you and once you get it cranked out you start the real writing process: editing.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

ilikebacon3000 Date: Wednesday, 08/Jul/09, 4:53 AM | Message # 3

Emcees
yeah just go go go.
or else you will lose the thought and you will be like "FUCK I should have wrote that down"
Just do it and go go go go go dont worry about how it flows really or even if it makes sense. Well, have it make sense but it dont worry about minor flaws or loopholes just for now write write then fix that shit lateer.

Life's a bitch and I'm just along for the ride.
eboyd Date: Wednesday, 08/Jul/09, 5:06 AM | Message # 4

Heads
Quote (ilikebacon3000)
yeah just go go go.
or else you will lose the thought and you will be like "FUCK I should have wrote that down"
Just do it and go go go go go dont worry about how it flows really or even if it makes sense. Well, have it make sense but it dont worry about minor flaws or loopholes just for now write write then fix that shit lateer.

EXACTLY! seriously, writing stories is an art, not a job.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

eboyd Date: Wednesday, 08/Jul/09, 7:01 AM | Message # 5

Heads
lol

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

eboyd Date: Wednesday, 08/Jul/09, 7:02 AM | Message # 6

Heads
Btw, if I would have edited it you would have gotten a 95% biggrin

I would have charged though wink

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

MAK_The_Lucid_Tongue Date: Wednesday, 08/Jul/09, 10:45 AM | Message # 7

Emcees
Notebook and Pen EVERYWHERE you go!!! ...... Find a story in everything you can and write it down.
Everyday shit has a big story in it..... you might see and old lady on a bus and think nothing of it but try forcing yourself to dig deeper...That lady may have just had the craziest day of her life, you know?!? ask yourself the possibilities of what she may have gone thru and write'em down............... I don't know if this is making sense the way I'm wording it but it works for me to spark creativity and shit when I'm writing. Just see a crazier, more sad, more happy, more whatever in everything you can(for your writing only tho'-lol- dont lose touch with reality).

After all this, when you're sitting down to work on a chapter, sift thru ur notes and apply the shit you've jotted down to your story where it fits.....and try to make it fit if it doesnt..... it's good filler when the ideas aren't coming to you or when you're stuck with where to take your story.... That little old lady on the bus about could turn into a whole chapter.

"UNTIL THEY STOP ME, BURY, MURDER ME OR DROP ME, I GOT...THUG LUV FOR MY NATIONWIDE POSSE"

Lord_Meth Date: Wednesday, 08/Jul/09, 11:47 AM | Message # 8

Heads
Quote (MAK_The_Lucid_Tongue)
Notebook and Pen EVERYWHERE you go!!! ...... Find a story in everything you can and write it down.
Everyday shit has a big story in it..... you might see and old lady on a bus and think nothing of it but try forcing yourself to dig deeper...That lady may have just had the craziest day of her life, you know?!? ask yourself the possibilities of what she may have gone thru and write'em down............... I don't know if this is making sense the way I'm wording it but it works for me to spark creativity and shit when I'm writing. Just see a crazier, more sad, more happy, more whatever in everything you can(for your writing only tho'-lol- dont lose touch with reality).
After all this, when you're sitting down to work on a chapter, sift thru ur notes and apply the shit you've jotted down to your story where it fits.....and try to make it fit if it doesnt..... it's good filler when the ideas aren't coming to you or when you're stuck with where to take your story.... That little old lady on the bus about could turn into a whole chapter.

right I feel ya but most people Ive asked they said its good to start with an outline
Finish the book before you actually finish it
So Ive done this outline with all of my chapters (short description of wats gonna happen in it)
and my story seems to have ALOT of direction and more meaning, than if I was to jump straight into like I usually did
Is that a bad idea?

Sick With It
MAK_The_Lucid_Tongue Date: Wednesday, 08/Jul/09, 12:31 PM | Message # 9

Emcees
Quote (Lord_Meth)
Is that a bad idea?

Of course not.... every writer has there own way of doing things. I was just giving you advice on what works for me on the creative side. You most definitely need structure of some sort first.

"UNTIL THEY STOP ME, BURY, MURDER ME OR DROP ME, I GOT...THUG LUV FOR MY NATIONWIDE POSSE"

Boner-Jamz-11 Date: Wednesday, 08/Jul/09, 9:00 PM | Message # 10

Rappers
ive written 2 books already

#TeamHipster
#SWAGSWAG

TUMBLR CLICK CLICK CLICK!
eboyd Date: Thursday, 09/Jul/09, 7:21 AM | Message # 11

Heads
Actually many writers DON'T start with an outline. In fact outlines were discouraged in the writing classes I took. It makes stories robotic. The advice MAK gave was GREAT. Also, when writing a story and stuck on something, DESCRIBE! Shit, if it's a milk carton, go into great detail. Write at least 5 sentences on what you are describing, no bs. So it would look like this sentence 1: talk about how full carton is, 2. Talk about contents, 3. Talk about the appearance of the container (dents, dings, scratches, ect.), 4. More appearance (old, new?), 5. More (label). Etc. You can do this with anything. See where that takes you.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Lord_Meth Date: Thursday, 09/Jul/09, 4:20 PM | Message # 12

Heads
Quote (eboyd)
Actually many writers DON'T start with an outline. In fact outlines were discouraged in the writing classes I took. It makes stories robotic. The advice MAK gave was GREAT. Also, when writing a story and stuck on something, DESCRIBE! Shit, if it's a milk carton, go into great detail. Write at least 5 sentences on what you are describing, no bs. So it would look like this sentence 1: talk about how full carton is, 2. Talk about contents, 3. Talk about the appearance of the container (dents, dings, scratches, ect.), 4. More appearance (old, new?), 5. More (label). Etc. You can do this with anything. See where that takes you.

idk...wouldnt that seem WORTHLESS in the whole scheme of the story..If was to put something that small in my story...it would have to have a HUGE influence or something

Sick With It
eboyd Date: Thursday, 09/Jul/09, 4:38 PM | Message # 13

Heads
Quote (Lord_Meth)
idk...wouldnt that seem WORTHLESS in the whole scheme of the story..If was to put something that small in my story...it would have to have a HUGE influence or something

no. i'm talking as someone who has been educated on this. and the best part is that when you do describe you may be able to come up with ideas to make the subtle descriptions into something of importance.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Lord_Meth Date: Thursday, 09/Jul/09, 4:39 PM | Message # 14

Heads
Quote (eboyd)
no. i'm talking as someone who has been educated on this. and the best part is that when you do describe you may be able to come up with ideas to make the subtle descriptions into something of importance.

okay this is off topic but wats the difference between a book and a story? or are they the same?

Sick With It
eboyd Date: Thursday, 09/Jul/09, 4:46 PM | Message # 15

Heads
Quote (Lord_Meth)
okay this is off topic but wats the difference between a book and a story? or are they the same?

dude, a book is anything from a textbook to a novel. i think you are referring to a novel. there are different levels in this category. there's the novel, clocking in at the longest length (about 500 plus pages), a novella which is the second longest (about 250- +/- 500 pages) and then the shortest is the short story (clocking in at around 100 or so pages). there are different writing techniques for each because length does dictate a lot but you still need to be equally descriptive in each. the reason is if you paint a vivid enough picture the reader can literally put him/herself into that scene and they will feel your story a lot more.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Forum » Off-Topic » Creative Writing » Need some Book Writing Advice
  • Page 1 of 3
  • »
Search: