[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]

Login:
Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Forum moderator: I_Guy, eboyd, El_Matador  
Forum » Off-Topic » Creative Writing » "MadCap" by I_Guy (Crime Drama (1920s Chicago))
"MadCap" by I_Guy
I_Guy Date: Sunday, 23/Nov/08, 10:03 AM | Message # 1

Heads
Ok so this story I wrote a couple of years ago and it has a sequel and a prequel. The prequel is the shit. I'll post it in the future. Now it's about a man, Vernon Largo, who used to be a strong arm man for one of the gangs in Chicago during the flood of 1920s prohibition madness. It's written in an odd style, so let me know if it is confusing or not. Also the language may be uncomfortable at first but you'll get used to it. The language is weird because I tried to capture the venacular and the speech patterns of 1920s Chicago, which is difficult to get just right. It's a bit slow to get off the ground at first but give it a chance. I'm posting it in chapter form (don't worry, it's only a few chapters) and I'll leave each chapter up for a couple of days before I post the next one. Anyways here it is.

MadCap

Chapter 1
The Man In The Mirror

The wood of the floor creaked as heavy footsteps made way to the base of a marble sink. Stillness defended the room and silence assisted. The hiss of faucet water attacked the silence and steam soon swirled into the air above. As the water worked to fill the sink bowl, two trembling hands slowly descended under cupping and splashing hot water across a burning face slowly sighing and rising to catch a gradual sight of an identical face a mirror. The face steamed with trickling water. Heavy drops of water darkened spots across a broad chest wrapped in a grooved tank top while an extremity obtained a towel and dried the source of the drip. The handsome face in the mirror inspected itself. Shaky hands wiped down, and then up again past the forehead into the hair, reclining the spastic tangle flat. The faucet relaxed. Several drops of sparkling oil fell into the unsteady hand, which then several times fell onto the head, spreading the gleaming oil through. A fine-tooth comb sat on the marble counter, before succumbing to the fingertips of the man in the mirror. With a shaking hand, he raised the comb to his head and attempted to floss it. Struggling to steady his hand, he stroked. He stiffened his arm to comply, but it would not.

“Patience,” he thought. Sliding straight back, every strand of hair was guided slowly by even passing strokes each accompanied by their own minute. Finally, the result prevailed. Straight back was the arrangement, and jet-black was the complexion. Again, the face inspected itself from a fair distance and enjoyed what sight it saw.

The mirror reflected an image of a man, but the man did not reflect the image. The image reflected in every fashion, a respectable, distinct, and powerful man. Though the inner being before the mirror failed to amount, the mind within saw clear this reflection, but failed to conceive its falsity. Before the mirror stood none of this, rather a former this or this, once upon a time. And that is the form the silver slate fails to detail. Through the eye of those close, a beast is seen, but through the eye of those distant, a fine man is seen, yet through the eye of this man, a titan is seen. Beneath the titanic conception, sits silent an over-stretched, deteriorating man with frayed nerves and a shriveled prune of a heart pumping poison through burning veins filled with that which makes this man a beast.

With his hand, he rubbed the sides of his stubbly face. He removed the lid, covering a cup, to reveal a white cream within; and with a fine bristle brush, he emptied it onto his tan cheeks. He raised a brilliant blade to scrape it away, but hesitated before the blade reached his flesh. He stared at the image of his eye reflected in the blade, and became discouraged as he noticed the reflection quaked madly in his own hand. He aggressively sponged it from his mind, and with frustration and uncertain confidence, he sternly brought the blade to his face to observed red blood contrast the white cream. With a sense of personal humiliation and minor shock, he wrapped a small towel around his finger to extract the red from his face side. A few droplets of blood found their way to the steaming sink water, very still and cooling. The clear warmly welcomed the red, and he stood there silent for a moment as he admired the beauty of the red swirling and spreading slowly as if seeking treasures at the depths of the bowl. A quick spasm struck the pit of his stomach, and he recalled vividly the several shades of this color with which he had so casually become familiar; many of which had been spilled by his own hands.

Momentarily, he dwelled upon these thoughts, then polished them and returned them to the collapsing showcase shadowed at the back of his mind. A burst of rage sent the blade across the room. A duet of pain and anger boomed an opera in his mind. He jerked an oak chair from around the opposite wall, separating the bathroom and the bedroom, and placed its back to the front of the sink, and sat. Across from him layed a woman on a low bed. As she rested on her stomach, her head faced him, and her right hand hung exposed. Her fingers hung from the bedside partially resting on the ground and on the third finger reflected a golden ring, which sought to entwine itself side by side with his with which it matched. As she slept across the room, the chair upheld steady the weight of the unsteady body upon it. Slightly rocking in the chair, he placed his eyes on the slumbering eyes of the woman from across and kept their placement. He waited for her wake and anticipated the exposure of her eye. To pass the wait he lifted a half-finished cigarette from an ashtray on the sink counter. He removed the metal butt appendage and aggressively tossed it at the wall above the counter.

“Useless,” he thought disgustedly. “Dames love them things. Caught up in some delusion it makes them look more dignified.” He smirked, “Not to me.”

Added (08/Nov/23, 10:03 Am)
---------------------------------------------
He struck a matchstick and a venomous hiss sounded while hot orange swallowed the tip. His lips brightened as the smoke crept in and out with his breath. As he sat, the cigarette became half what it was and his patience suffered the same. Tired of waiting, he leaned to his left and tipped the toilet lid. It slammed to its porcelain base and the woman’s sleeping eyes shot open. The light shined dimly from the bathroom as the rays became layered by the mix of hot steam and cloudy cigarette smoke to form a glowing, grey smog.

With the light in her eyes, she whispered his name. “Verne?” She sat up and wiped her eyes. She noticed the cream on his face. “You don’t need to shave everyday, Verne!” She recognized her tone was stern and she retracted with an long innocent yawn. “Why are you sitting there?”

He turned his head to reveal the gash on his cheek. She rolled a hand over her head and thoroughly through her hair, and advanced to get a better look. “What in the devil happened? “ She slightly gasped and reached to his cheek. He quickly grabbed her hand and threw it down, and began harshly. “Come on. Why would you do that!? Why would you touch it?!” Anger overtook his face and the tone of his voice.

There was a silence. The carpet felt the sole of her feet as she backed up a step. She drifted her head to the side, and he leaned to the side to let his angry eyes follow hers until they met, but again she looked away. His stare softened apologetically but remained as hard as stern as he pointed to the blade near the wall on the floor. “I need you to do it.”

She began to question why the blade lay there, but withdrew, for she wished not to spoil the situation further. She retrieved it and rinsed it. She turned to place herself on his lap facing him, her legs around him and the chair, and for a moment, he felt a brief forgotten spark of sensation, both of surprise and of desire. He again peered into her face with wondering eyes; she noticed and misinterpreted his queer expression and responded bluntly. “What?”

Foolish and awkward he felt as he took his eyes off her. He tilted his head, and placed it to the ceiling as she scraped beneath his chin with the blade. His feeling faded, and that unsettled edge returned both to his face and his state of being. She worked slowly, periodically dipping the blade into the sink, making sure not to cut him and duplicate his bloody mistake. He broke her thoughts. “Get every one,” he demanded softly, “I mean every single one!”

With this statement, she used it to extend the engagement and cherish the moment, as she felt his face with her delicate fingers and pretended to search for missed spots. Feeling the obvious encroach, she concluded. “That’s all I can do.”

She dropped the blade into the sink, flung a towel around his neck and began to pat his face dry. He caught a glimpse of her eyes deep in his when the rising and falling towel allowed it. Impatient, he slowly but effectively pushed her from him, and he rose to quickly exit the bathroom. She enjoyed the intimacy but Verne lacked the patience to engage. She plopped onto his chair and simmered in frustration. He stopped at the end of the bed to fill a white shirt, and exited the small, dim, bedroom. He warned as he drifted. “Leon will be over in a bit."

(Keep in mine that this guy is who I kept in mind as Verne while writting the story: http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=wl39dk&s=4 )
(And this is who I kept in mind as his girl (Zoey): http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2djtev8&s=4 )

We all know that each of our end is near; the question is do we accept the end of our living existence, or do we accept our existence as dead men...

Message edited by I_Guy - Sunday, 23/Nov/08, 10:03 AM
Lord_Meth Date: Sunday, 23/Nov/08, 5:25 PM | Message # 2

Heads
WOW........................ wacko

Sick With It
eboyd_ Date: Sunday, 23/Nov/08, 7:05 PM | Message # 3

Removed
who are those two? they both look familiar. anyways, i caught on to the frantic nature of Verne pretty much instantly. the way you wrote this part of the story was pretty jittery and i believe that was on purpose, no? anyways, i think i noticed some grammatical errors throughout, like accidentally using the same article twice (eg: using and when you meant to use as) but that may just be me incorrectly reading and taking the neurotic parts as grammatical errors. all in all, it is good though. i know from being a writer myself and having gone all the way through English and having taken creative writing class myself that a story is said to be well written when the writer puts the reader in a position where he/she can actually visualize his/herself in that scene and you did this. you even went further, in fact, and made me feel the same emotions as Verne. i knew before you even told me that he was a hit man. in fact you may even want to take out the part where you talk about him spilling blood. it's a bit redundant. you should probably say it in a more abstract way; make him have some sort of strange attachment to the blood dripping from his chin. that way it will be more than obvious what he does for a living without it having to be explicitly stated. btw, i like how you start it off in a state of unease, almost as if someone is about to be murdered. it really puts you in the story quite quickly.
s0dr2 Date: Sunday, 23/Nov/08, 7:08 PM | Message # 4

OGs
you need to get laid man....

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

eboyd_ Date: Sunday, 23/Nov/08, 7:11 PM | Message # 5

Removed
who, me? or I_Guy? what's wrong with writing stories?
I_Guy Date: Sunday, 23/Nov/08, 7:50 PM | Message # 6

Heads
Thanks for the input. I appreciate the advice greatly.

Quote (eboyd)
you need to get laid man....

Quote (eboyd)
who, me? or I_Guy? what's wrong with writing stories?

Some people are just creatively impaired or fail to appreciate this medium of expression.

We all know that each of our end is near; the question is do we accept the end of our living existence, or do we accept our existence as dead men...
Menace Date: Sunday, 23/Nov/08, 7:51 PM | Message # 7

Heads
Quote (I_Guy)
Some people are just creatively impaired or fail to appreciate this medium of expression.

WORD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

eboyd_ Date: Sunday, 23/Nov/08, 7:55 PM | Message # 8

Removed
Quote (I_Guy)

i feel you. np. i just hope it is helpful. was i pretty on point with seeing where you were going with this and noticing the details you put into it?

I_Guy Date: Sunday, 23/Nov/08, 8:03 PM | Message # 9

Heads
Quote (eboyd)
was i pretty on point with seeing where you were going with this and noticing the details you put into it?

Yeah, I was pretty impressed by your comment. You read into it pretty well. But yeah you pretty much summed it up.

eboyd_ Date: Sunday, 23/Nov/08, 8:07 PM | Message # 10

Removed
smile i've been writing for a bit now so i understand abstract work that has more to it than the eyes can see when i see it. i just hope that my advice is helpful.
I_Guy Date: Sunday, 23/Nov/08, 8:10 PM | Message # 11

Heads
By the way, the two people I provided a link to are actors. Billy Zane is the guy. He's very underrated and hasn't haven't had any breakout hits. And the chick is Carla Gugino, also an actor, lately in "American Gangster" and "Righteous Kill."

eboyd_ Date: Sunday, 23/Nov/08, 8:12 PM | Message # 12

Removed
oh, OK. i was wondering. i've heard of Billy Zane and seen him in movies. i recognized him i just couldn't remember from where (and still can't. lol!). i recognize Carla, but i didn't know her name until now.
I_Guy Date: Monday, 24/Nov/08, 1:46 AM | Message # 13

Heads
Quote (eboyd)
(and still can't. lol!).

He's best known from Dead Calm and Titanic.

Added (08/Nov/24, 1:46 Am)
---------------------------------------------
Does anyone suffer from over-articulation? I think I do, and it prevents me from ever feeling like anything I create is done.

eboyd_ Date: Monday, 24/Nov/08, 1:48 AM | Message # 14

Removed
yeah, i think i do too. it's the curse of the semi-experienced writer. it is often one of the leading causes of writer's block too.
I_Guy Date: Monday, 24/Nov/08, 1:50 AM | Message # 15

Heads
I think this thread helps though. I think it will help people realize if their writting is effective enough.

Forum » Off-Topic » Creative Writing » "MadCap" by I_Guy (Crime Drama (1920s Chicago))
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search: