[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]

Login:
Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: s0dr2, El_Matador  
Forum » Real HIP HOP Forever » General Hip Hop Discussion » News: Jamaica Eliminates Sex and Violence From Airwaves. (Could This Mean A Change For Hip Hop?)
News: Jamaica Eliminates Sex and Violence From Airwaves.
Chinita Date: Monday, 23/Feb/09, 11:12 AM | Message # 1

Heads
http://realhiphop4ever.ucoz.com/news/2009-02-23-58

leave your comments or talk about it here..do you think this could mean changes for the airwaves in the US or a better look for the future of hip hop? just leave ur thoughts..this is interesting.

Jamaica Eliminates Sex and Violence From Airwaves.

The nation of Jamaica has instituted an island-wide ban of all music which glorifies violence or sexual activity.

The ban, which became official earlier this week, is targeted at quelling the growing dancehall trend called "daggering," where participants stimulate sexual intercourse on the dance floor.

The style was popularized by dancehall star Mr. Vegas, who released a song and video of the same name last June.

Under the new regulation, all music with lyrics detailing murder, arson, rape, and gun violence cannot be heard over Jamaica's TV and radio broadcast systems.

Furthermore, DJ's are not even allowed to be play censored versions of songs, as the intent and suggestive nature of the tracks would still be discernible.

As the country's most popular music genre, dancehall stands to be the most affected by the new ruling.

In recent years, the genre has endured heavy international criticism for the vehement anti-gay stance many of its artists advocate.

However, the decree will also limit the accessibility of Soca and Hip-Hop on the island.

Soca music is rarely explicit, but sometimes utilizes sexual innuendo in its lyrics and is a staple sound of Jamaican street carnivals.

Hip-Hop has strong roots with the Caribbean island due to Jamaican-born DJ Kool Herc, who helped launch the genre of Hip-Hop in the 70s, after migrating to New York City in the late 1960s.

At press time, there has been no organized movement to challenge the government's ruling on free speech grounds.

Published Monday, February 23, 2009 8:00 AM

Menace Date: Monday, 23/Feb/09, 11:28 AM | Message # 2

Heads
i agree hate speech is not free speech but they don't allow even censored songs on the radio and that pisses me off if a song is censored allow it on the air the ARTIST or anyone has the fundamental right to speak and be heard and Jamaica has enough problems whit other shit instead of banning music they should ban those puppet leaders of theirs and that corrupt government of theirs that government that does coups to get in power instead of following democratic procedures !! man this shit is wack !!

ill Date: Monday, 23/Feb/09, 11:31 AM | Message # 3

Emcees
yeah its a weak move by the government dry

The World Is Yours
Menace Date: Monday, 23/Feb/09, 11:33 AM | Message # 4

Heads
i understand the message that this thing is sending a particular good message but this goes against fundamental human rights and plus this example could be used in the US and other country as a mean to bring down freedom of speech i mean the US is strong on fascist like tactics against freedom of speech and this could enforce that no decree or law must be passed to save good music government don't like good music the government protects their own interests

J-Breakz Date: Monday, 23/Feb/09, 12:11 PM | Message # 5

Heads
I am against banning any type of speech but they pretty much gave Mr. Vegas some publicity, sick! For those who don't know he's signed to the bad ass label, Delicious Vinyl.

livin life like some cheesy movie

Message edited by J-Breakz - Monday, 23/Feb/09, 12:11 PM
Chinita Date: Monday, 23/Feb/09, 12:16 PM | Message # 6

Heads
As a mother i see it as a good thing but also a bit harsh for some..just have such mixed feelings about this..i would love if all the sex, drugs, violence was eliminiated from airwaves but i dont want them to band freedom of speech either..u just can have it all i guess..but there should be a limit when it comes to sex,violence, drugs in the media.

SnoopG79 Date: Monday, 23/Feb/09, 12:17 PM | Message # 7

Beatboxers
Quote (Menace)
Jamaica has enough problems whit other shit

This is all that needs to be said IMO. Just because they're banning sex & violence means squat because as you mentioned, Jamaica has BIGGER problems than worrying about what's on the airwaves & that's including the violence that goes down in there inner-ghettos.

It's all about freedom of speech. Any artist should be allowed to speak on what they want, period.

Only god can judge me.
LoveThatHipHop Date: Monday, 23/Feb/09, 1:18 PM | Message # 8

Emcees
Gore and reckless sex, that can be understood, but taking away freedom of speech is wrong. Plus, I agree, Jamaica has other things they need to take care of, and the goverment expecting illegal music will do something about it is ignorant.

Because I'm cool like dat. I'm chill like dat. I'm peace like dat.
eboyd Date: Monday, 23/Feb/09, 6:27 PM | Message # 9

Heads
man, it isn't about that. it is about reintegrating the radio and bringing art to a higher plateau. you can't have people's free speech being oppressed. like i've said, you can make a great poem promoting the slaughter of a civilization and poor humanitarian poetry. that is the beauty of art. don't supress it just because it isn't positive.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Forum » Real HIP HOP Forever » General Hip Hop Discussion » News: Jamaica Eliminates Sex and Violence From Airwaves. (Could This Mean A Change For Hip Hop?)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: