[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]

Login:
Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Forum moderator: Menace, Aristotle, El_Matador  
Forum » Knowledge » History/Culture » The History of Palestine/Israel thingy... (I'm dumb)
The History of Palestine/Israel thingy...
ilikebacon3000 Date: Monday, 21/Mar/11, 9:09 PM | Message # 1

Emcees
So I don't know much about the whole Israel/Palestine situation... I don't even know the history.
To be honest, I know nothing about that, or much about anything regarding the history of geopolitics, ethnic migration and wars and all that stuff, cultural migration and wars, etc. I know where the world is now (as a whole... like basics), and I know a bit about economics (more than the average person my age, for sure), but I want to know how and why it got where it is.

So Menace (maybe erik too), would you mind explaining briefly the whole Israel/Palestine thing? What is the problem exactly? And why does the US insist on funding Israel?

Life's a bitch and I'm just along for the ride.
eboyd Date: Monday, 21/Mar/11, 9:31 PM | Message # 2

Heads
After WWII the UN decided to basically help the displaced Jews find a home, so they decided "what better place den duh holy land! according to dah bible dey 'post 'ta rule dat place enyways!" so they funded a war between the Jews of Israel and the Palestinians who had been living there for hundreds of years to try to send the Palestinians packing. Of course we're "Amurika" (FUCK YEAH!), so we won, naturally, and blamed the Palestinians, calling them terrorists, which is pretty much the main reason the Muslim world started to despise the US. This was 1948, and there has been an ongoing conflict since then. And since then, Israel has also been our number one ally, to the point that even when everyone else in the UN votes against us (as happens often for good reason), Israel is typically the only country that votes in our favor.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Lord_Meth Date: Monday, 21/Mar/11, 10:01 PM | Message # 3

Heads
Quote (eboyd)
After WWII the UN decided to basically help the displaced Jews find a home, so they decided "what better place den duh holy land! according to dah bible dey 'post 'ta rule dat place enyways!" so they funded a war between the Jews of Israel and the Palestinians who had been living there for hundreds of years to try to send the Palestinians packing. Of course we're "Amurika" (FUCK YEAH!), so we won, naturally, and blamed the Palestinians, calling them terrorists, which is pretty much the main reason the Muslim world started to despise the US. This was 1948, and there has been an ongoing conflict since then. And since then, Israel has also been our number one ally, to the point that even when everyone else in the UN votes against us (as happens often for good reason), Israel is typically the only country that votes in our favor.

ROFL!!!
That's politics in a nutshell for ya

Funny Team America: World Police reference lol

Sick With It
ilikebacon3000 Date: Monday, 21/Mar/11, 10:08 PM | Message # 4

Emcees
Quote (eboyd)
This was 1948, and there has been an ongoing conflict since then. And since then, Israel has also been our number one ally, to the point that even when everyone else in the UN votes against us (as happens often for good reason), Israel is typically the only country that votes in our favor.

I actually lol'd harder at that than anything else in that paragraph...
So fucking typical of us (us meaning us as Americans.)

Question.. Who was there before the Palestinians? Did the Palestinians force someone out? Wouldn't it technically be the Israelite's land if they were there in the first place, even if it was years and years before 1948?
And does any of this have to do with the crusades?

eboyd Date: Monday, 21/Mar/11, 10:35 PM | Message # 5

Heads
I haven't really checked the history on that, but if they did occupy that land (beyond the evidence in the biblical account) it was about a thousand years ago. The Palestinians have been there, I believe, since long before the US was even established, AT LEAST. So basically, what they did and continue to do is like this scenario: my great, great, great grandfather gets murdered and the person who murdered him starts living in his home. He passes his house down along the generations and, 200 years later, I go to that house and tell the great, great, great grandson of the person that murdered my relative that I am going to now take his house and I am backed by a threat of force from the US military.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Menace Date: Monday, 21/Mar/11, 10:53 PM | Message # 6

Heads
Quote (ilikebacon3000)
Question.. Who was there before the Palestinians? Did the Palestinians force someone out? Wouldn't it technically be the Israelite's land if they were there in the first place, even if it was years and years before 1948?
And does any of this have to do with the crusades?

The area of modern day Israel was never under one rule, Jews and Arabs are both Semitic people and share a common ancestry so in history Philistine ( Palestine ) is placed right beside the ancient kingdom of Israel that's mentioned in the bible. Even the Ancient Hebrews weren't unified, there were two kingdoms, the Kingdom of Judah and the Kingdom of Israel and where is Gaza right now were the Philistine states, so even in ancient times the area we call today Israel was never under one rule, Jewish or not. Back to the question, the Palestinians were always there only governments changed the Jews and Arabs were always there, before the state of Israel came to be, the area was called the British Mandate for Palestine, it was practically a British colony and before that it was called Ottoman Syria, because it was part of the Ottoman Empire and before that the area was part of the Mamluk Sultanate and before that the Byzantine Empire and before that the Roman Empire and so on. And no it does nothing to do with the crusades, all Abrahamic religions trace their roots in Israel and on the Temple mount there but in rest nothing.

Adam Date: Monday, 21/Mar/11, 11:01 PM | Message # 7

B-Girls
you guys are my fav history teachers especially menace.

What about bush starting iraq war in first place, wasn't it like he didn't really have evidence to start war but he did anyway?

plz answar.

I JUST EXPLODED INTO RAINBOWS AND LOLLIPOPS!
ilikebacon3000 Date: Monday, 21/Mar/11, 11:07 PM | Message # 8

Emcees
Quote (Adam)
you guys are my fav history teachers especially menace.
What about bush starting iraq war in first place, wasn't it like he didn't really have evidence to start war but he did anyway?

plz answar.

<_<

so... why the fuck don't the citizens of the US do something? i read that we give them approximately 8 million a day... that's fucked.

Menace Date: Wednesday, 23/Mar/11, 10:15 PM | Message # 9

Heads
Quote (ilikebacon3000)
so... why the fuck don't the citizens of the US do something? i read that we give them approximately 8 million a day... that's fucked.

Because Israel was a client state of the US, playing a pivotal role in the Cold War. Turkey and Israel were the only US client states in the middle east (although Turkey is not essentially in the middle east), it was a strategic point for the US. And its the same know although now days we have much of the middle east in US hands, minus Iran which the US is gagging up on. Also don't forget the huge oil reserves there, basically your country is an empire, you as a US citizen have the ability to challenge that empire and advocate cooperation and anti-militarism, because an empire never benefited its own people just a small elite the people always died for the empire.

Quote (Adam)

plz answar.

Adam Date: Wednesday, 23/Mar/11, 10:18 PM | Message # 10

B-Girls
That thing with the president guy and drunk guy bomb threat. They said your guardian angel is dead in ur bed you say.

Menace Date: Wednesday, 23/Mar/11, 10:20 PM | Message # 11

Heads
Quote (Adam)
That thing with the president guy and drunk guy bomb threat. They said your guardian angel is dead in ur bed you say.

Greeny Date: Wednesday, 23/Mar/11, 10:27 PM | Message # 12

OGs
Quote (Adam)

RULE NUMBER ONE IN POLITICS: Don't got the facts, create them.

:)
Adam Date: Wednesday, 23/Mar/11, 10:27 PM | Message # 13

B-Girls
Dude what are u talking about... ahh nvm.

eboyd Date: Thursday, 24/Mar/11, 11:56 AM | Message # 14

Heads
Lol Adam, Bush Senior started the Gulf War in the 80's over what was essentially an oil war. Bush Junior basically took it from where his dad left off and used Saddam's intent to obtain nuclear weapons as an excuse. The government said that they needed proof that Saddam was developing nuclear weapons, or even any other sort of weapon of mass destruction, and he was embarrassed to find out that they had nothing. Regardless, this didn't deter him from bombing the shit out of Iraq, imprisoning many people in Guantanamo Bay with no probable cause and not letting them see the light of day for years, etc., all on this false premise that Iraq might be trying to develop weapons of mass destruction which they will then use on the US.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Menace Date: Thursday, 24/Mar/11, 4:01 PM | Message # 15

Heads
Quote (eboyd)
Lol Adam, Bush Senior started the Gulf War in the 80's over what was essentially an oil war. Bush Junior basically took it from where his dad left off and used Saddam's intent to obtain nuclear weapons as an excuse. The government said that they needed proof that Saddam was developing nuclear weapons, or even any other sort of weapon of mass destruction, and he was embarrassed to find out that they had nothing. Regardless, this didn't deter him from bombing the shit out of Iraq, imprisoning many people in Guantanamo Bay with no probable cause and not letting them see the light of day for years, etc., all on this false premise that Iraq might be trying to develop weapons of mass destruction which they will then use on the US.

Jes, and US leaders kinda forget, Bush Senior gave chemical weapons to Saddam's Iraq to fight against Iran in the Iran–Iraq War, many people forget that Saddam was a US friend up until he invaded Kuwait (another US client state), just like in the case of Osama the US helped Saddam, and at one point Saddam screwed the US over, it’s simple blow back. When you help fundamentalists and dictators then be prepared after a while to screwed over. These are the blow backs of the US being an empire, if the US didn't radicalize the Muslim world to fight against the Soviets we wouldn't have Osama and two buildings missing from NYC.

Forum » Knowledge » History/Culture » The History of Palestine/Israel thingy... (I'm dumb)
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search: