[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]

Login:
Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
Forum moderator: El_Matador, s0dr2  
Forum » RHHF Artists/Battlers » RHHF Artist's Music » WTF AM I DOING WRONG???!
WTF AM I DOING WRONG???!
Menace Date: Sunday, 30/Oct/11, 5:41 PM | Message # 16

Heads
Quote (ilikebacon3000)
Well, this is gonna seem quite shitty of me, choose to bash me for it or not, but I don't have a card or anything of that sort. I roll in nothing but cash, I don't even have a bank account. I cash my check at the gas station down the street from my house and just have my cash under my bed in a shoebox.

However, if you really really want me to buy it, next pay check i will go get a card and do it just for you sweetcheeks. It's just a hassle for me is all, like someone else said, about being in school and working and shit, i just don't want to take the time to go to walmart or wherever, talk on the phone to a robot for 30 minutes to activate that card, and do all that shit. i guess in my case, and some others, they just don't see the process as worth their time.

Same here.... I don't even have cash checks, because i usually don't get paid in checks also. And to be honest, famous MC's have problems selling music, so come on Erik, come to reality. It takes a lot of time, a shitload of time.

J-Breakz Date: Sunday, 30/Oct/11, 11:52 PM | Message # 17

Heads
hahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahha this is the best thread ever on the internet. awww

Ppl want songs they can relate to in their lives.

They want to have an interesting beat they can dance to or atleast a beat that makes them wanna nod their head.

Almost every popular hip hop song is about getting money, getting pussy, and having fancy things because thats something you can relate to easily.

And every hardcore underground hip hop song always seems to be about how their so good at rapping. that shit gets old and thats why that stereotype is used to make fun.

If you really want money in the music biz then figure out whats popular and make singles. If you rather just have fun with music and make what you want to make w/out caring about making party music or love songs then i dont think you can expect making money. rlly you should just not wrry about it and put shit out

livin life like some cheesy movie
ilikebacon3000 Date: Monday, 31/Oct/11, 2:46 AM | Message # 18

Emcees
Quote (J-Breakz)
If you really want money in the music biz then figure out whats popular and make singles. If you rather just have fun with music and make what you want to make w/out caring about making party music or love songs then i dont think you can expect making money. rlly you should just not wrry about it and put shit out

Quote (Menace)
Same here.... I don't even have cash checks, because i usually don't get paid in checks also. And to be honest, famous MC's have problems selling music, so come on Erik, come to reality. It takes a lot of time, a shitload of time.

yeah and i mean especially when you're relativly unknown.. it's gonna be hard for a while. it might always be hard. who knows.
unless you're just in an extreme bind for cash, i'd put it up for free and shit. notice that's how alot of shit (music at least) goes viral on the internet. no one is like 'damn go buy that Tyler the creator guys album".. they're like "go to oddfuture.com and download everything in their discography, and then listen to it and come back to me."

even if you hate OFWG, they've used the internet how it should be used for marketing music. subtle but still very out in the open, and they plug into the right market of people (tumblr/twitter users), i mean i don't know, there's alot of different variables. just consider who you are throwing it at, i mean the type of person on facebook/twitter that checks it often might not be the type who would be interested in socio-political hiphop, you might be better off frequenting other hiphop boards across the web or even places like revleft.com and shit, political sites. facebook is for socialites who talk about nothing for the sake of nothing.

PLUS look at artist's who are supposed to be "famous" or whatever, alot of them are deep in debt just because of the nature of the music industry whether they are famous or indie. merch, production, touring, promotion, maintaining a staff of people to help you out, all that shit that comes up on the bigger level, that shit takes it's toll and after taxes, you're left with the average wage unless you're super super super famous. so don't ever expect to come out over with your money. expect to come out under, and if you come out even, then be happy as fuck and enjoy that moment because you're going to go right back under.
my band is like 50 dollars under right now just because of flyers. but i'm having fun. money does not equate to fun when it comes to music. mo money mo problems. that's why we do all our shows for cheap and our music is free. should be accessable to anyone who likes it.

Life's a bitch and I'm just along for the ride.
KrazeeTork Date: Monday, 31/Oct/11, 11:14 AM | Message # 19

Removed
I'll all ways support an up and coming emcee, However i don't do the whole buy
a cd online crap cause it takes to long for me to get it, all so iv been fucked around n lost
too much cash when doing so. but seen how to get a CD pressed only cost a dollar or 2. you should
make a ton of copies of the cd and see if any store will bring it out. i know heaps of people that have done this
or even get your contacts too hit up people about doing it

Now on subject of help:

Like iv said above mate. You seem too have a wide range of contacts well
get them too help you with sales and whatever else you need, All so if you play any sports
im guessing you play baseball or football..(you look to short n stocky for a basketball player)
get your team too listen it convince them too buy it..You got facebook mass message
the fuck outta people so they get the idea.

you just to sell yourself man (no...i don't mean what your thinking you sicko)
bring your A-GAME every single time..and i mean every single time
just rudely push your way thru people and be like "yeah BITCH!, Agent.X up this mutha fucka ya feel me nikka,,
cop dat shit @www. etc etc" you may get bashed a few times if you can't fight
but at least people will be like "hmm this guy seems serious about himself i'll take a look at him"
then BOOM...you got another person buying your cd.
Chinita Date: Monday, 31/Oct/11, 12:09 PM | Message # 20

Heads
well one thing u have to stop doing is telling people to buy your album..that makes you look desperate..and have you submitted your new album to all the blogs, site..like 2dope boys, nottingham, thewordisbond and more..u have to do that leg work to get it out there but telling people to buy it is not good..u already got allot of good advise in here from everyone. get your name known, submitt music..it takes allot of work..but then again all u need is one good email and u can submitt that one to all..

this is from an article i was reading...
7. Build Your Reputation - It might take thousands of blog posts, hundreds of free t-shirts, and years of hard work to build your reputation, but just one angry comment or accusation to a die-hard loyal fan to ruin it all. Never underestimate the power of the internet. Whatever you do or say is cached and recorded. Creepy as it may seem, it keeps us honest and better people. Before you go spouting profanities on an angry status update about your terrible experience touring through a particular city, have a medium strawberry limeade to cool your nerves. You never want to burn bridges based off a bad experience. My mother always told me, “If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all.” Build and maintain your reputation to build and keep die-hard loyal fans.

Don’t be a Spammer - The music industry is tough business, and it’s even more difficult if you're an Indie Artist. You spend countless of hours, days, even months writing and perfecting your music. Then if you want your song in an mp3 format and you want it to sound good, you then have to consider spending some of your money to go to a studio for a professional to mix and master your tracks. By the time you are all done and you have that mp3 and/or CD in your hand, all you want to think about is getting your song in the hands of die-hard loyal fans.

2. Earn the Trust of Your Fans and Your Fans Will Trust You – As an Indie Music Fan I often see this all over the internet, “Kool Kids and the Kitty Kats Releases New Album: ONLY $7.95!” The first thought in my mind is, who are the Kool Kids, and why should I get out my wallet and buy this “New Album?”

It’s clear that I’ve never heard of this particular band, most likely because it’s a figment of my imagination to illustrate an example. Regardless, the point I’m making is the Kool Kids and the Kitty Kats has not earned my trust yet in order for me to risk $7.95. The hardest ongoing task an Indie Artist has is constantly getting and building new listeners and fans. In other words, building trust!

-----------------------------------------------
would you buy from an artist that says buy my music? probably not..just gain trust and build fans that will trust u as a person first..even if it takes one fan at a time..and u dont want to look desperate..just gain respect.

eboyd Date: Monday, 31/Oct/11, 1:41 PM | Message # 21

Heads
ok, but how do i build trust within fans? if they hear my music and enjoy it is that not enough?? i have almost 350 video views and a lot of people have known about me as an artist since i started recording back in 2008. i hear you about submitting it to blogs and such, but idk how to do any of that and would appreciate help if you guys are willing to provide it.

as for sports, i am a football player and coach and have already sold over 20 physical copies, mainly to my football team that i coach, so i am definitely doing that already. physical copy sales isn't actually that big of a problem for me. the whole issue of my online ratio of listens to sales is what i am worried about. i have a ton of people hearing my album and watching my video, and even a good amount of people downloading my mixtape, but i've only had two people buy my album online.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

J-Breakz Date: Monday, 31/Oct/11, 2:03 PM | Message # 22

Heads
and be grateful for the fact that your even signed to a record label, and that you worked hard enough to put an album together.

livin life like some cheesy movie
eboyd Date: Monday, 31/Oct/11, 2:31 PM | Message # 23

Heads
i definitely am. i am thankful for everything i've achieved thus far, but i am also troubled about this issue with my sales. to be honest, i didn't know what to expect, but if anything i expected my highest level of support to come from the internet where i felt i had built a somewhat loyal fan base, whereas i felt i would struggle in public, which is turning out to be the exact opposite of reality. and it's not like people are checking for me online. people are really checking out my music a lot, but an alarmingly low amount of people are willing to buy my music of those who hear it. this is not the case in person. i'd say that 1 of every 10 people i've showed some of my music to has bought my album and many more have promised to buy it, many of which have made true to their promise at a later date. it makes me feel as though there is something that i am missing here.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Lord_Meth Date: Monday, 31/Oct/11, 2:57 PM | Message # 24

Heads
Quote (Chinita)
Earn the Trust of Your Fans and Your Fans Will Trust You

^^^^ THIS!!!

Your fans have to see you either in person or thru a video on the web in order to gain their trust.
I can tell you for a fact I have SO MUCH respect for Tyler the Creator and Odd Future because of their interviews, live shows, and random videos of their crew goofing off. We get to see that they're human and not just some robot making music. Let ur fans see who Agent X/Erik Boyd is.

As stated already, do shows. If any of ur homies have a camera and yall go out for a night of fun, film that shit and make us see how much fun ur having. Record some nasty freestyles.

It's all being in the public eye. Thats how u earn the trust of your fans.

Sick With It
eboyd Date: Monday, 31/Oct/11, 3:12 PM | Message # 25

Heads
no doubt. yeah, it's just been hard for me because i don't have a camera, only Mnemonic does, and he lives on the other side of the city and, as a lot of you know, LA is a big ass city. he has some footage of us chilling in KRS-One's dressing room the other day and all that but idk if that's the film i wanna put up. i also want to set a very different image of myself as an artist than Odd Future does but idk how i want to portray my public life as an artist to everyone just yet. i definitely don't want to be that Tyler the Creator type of artist, not to say that is bad or anything. the problem is that i really don't go out and have that much fun anyways. i'm usually coaching football, working out to get ready to play football hopefully professionally by next year, studying game film of next week's opponent, or promoting my music via the internet. any suggestions? idk if you guys can tell but i'm sort of making you my de-facto marketing team by asking you for advice on this haha.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

ilikebacon3000 Date: Monday, 31/Oct/11, 4:08 PM | Message # 26

Emcees
Maybe make a satire video... Like do it in the same style all these other people do it, supposed to be all exciting and shit, but then just show yourself reading some books at the library, buying food..
Idk like a day in the life of Agent X. You do normal shit all day, then at the end you go and record music, which is something alot of people who live your lifestyle don't do, you know?

Life's a bitch and I'm just along for the ride.
Lord_Meth Date: Monday, 31/Oct/11, 5:04 PM | Message # 27

Heads
Yeah, it's not bad to let ppl see what u do everyday. Do it like a documentary lol
One second could be like u on the sideline coaching ur team's practice then another could be you in an actualy game then it could switch to you at home with some friends watching football then another of you in the studio in ur zone.

Sick With It
eboyd Date: Monday, 31/Oct/11, 5:06 PM | Message # 28

Heads
not a bad idea. thanks. i'll see what i can do. i need a video camera first though lol

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Menace Date: Monday, 31/Oct/11, 5:26 PM | Message # 29

Heads
I don't know if people are interested in one random dude's life in general (but try it), even if its music. The thing that made Odd Future famous overall, was their "punk" attitude and very crazy lyrics. Your not like that Erik, your different, exploit the things you like, for example you like politics, and i am not saying go all "Immortal Technique" but try to exploit that in the most natural way. Maybe do a series of videos just picking controversial topics, or just be where the action is. I don't know, what I'm trying to say, is be natural, and yourself. Blowing up takes a lot of time and hard work, sometimes it doesn't even work.

Lord_Meth Date: Monday, 31/Oct/11, 5:45 PM | Message # 30

Heads
Quote (Menace)
I don't know if people are interested in one random dude's life in general (but try it), even if its music. The thing that made Odd Future famous overall, was their "punk" attitude and very crazy lyrics. Your not like that Erik, your different, exploit the things you like, for example you like politics, and i am not saying go all "Immortal Technique" but try to exploit that in the most natural way. Maybe do a series of videos just picking controversial topics, or just be where the action is. I don't know, what I'm trying to say, is be natural, and yourself. Blowing up takes a lot of time and hard work, sometimes it doesn't even work

^^^^

Sick With It
Forum » RHHF Artists/Battlers » RHHF Artist's Music » WTF AM I DOING WRONG???!
Search: