[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]

Login:
Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
  • Page 1 of 3
  • »
Forum moderator: El_Matador, s0dr2  
Forum » RHHF Artists/Battlers » RHHF Artist's Music » WTF AM I DOING WRONG???!
WTF AM I DOING WRONG???!
eboyd Date: Saturday, 29/Oct/11, 11:35 PM | Message # 1

Heads
check my bandcamp stats for listens:

Total plays (all individual songs combined): 802, of which 197 listened to the entire track, 386 listened partially (many of which include skipping once the vocals end, so a lot of these count as full listens in my book), and 219 skipped the tracks.

my music video on YT has 200+ views in 2 days with no thumbs down and 15 up and counting.

reviews and opinions from people i have spoken to have all been positive.....

yet here are my download/sales stats from bandcamp:

Total sales and downloads: 45 downloads (probably 43 mixtape downloads and 2 album downloads), 2 sales. revenue: $10.00

what am i doing wrong??? why the fuck does everyone claim they like my music but no one will support it???

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Lord_Meth Date: Saturday, 29/Oct/11, 11:49 PM | Message # 2

Heads
Hmm....I honestly don't know. Maybe the fanbase ur reaching out to doesnt buy music.
Underground fans would download music WAAAAAY BEFORE they would buy it regardless of how much they like them.

Sick With It
Ratmn Date: Sunday, 30/Oct/11, 0:07 AM | Message # 3

DJs
Wait.

Just fucking wait. That's all you gotta do.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
EmSeeD Date: Sunday, 30/Oct/11, 0:20 AM | Message # 4

Heads
honestly i think you're expecting too much to happen too soon, if you want more sales, you should be doing live shows, interviews, video blogs and all that kind of stuff to spread awareness of your music

i noticed there were a lot of downloads of single tracks from your album too, which means they paid 50 cents for each track, but those don't seem to count towards sales

http://chirbit.com/emseed
http://youtube.com/siwooot
ilikebacon3000 Date: Sunday, 30/Oct/11, 1:00 AM | Message # 5

Emcees
Could be several reasons.. They might just not like it enough to wanna buy it, or maybe they're lying. It's very easy to click a link and listen to something as background music and not really listen to it, and to be honest, that's what the majority of people are probably doing, the average listener.

Concerning skippage, again, should be expected. Starting off, you're going to go negative in a few areas. Give it time, promote, don't let it get you down. You're gonna take a few losses here and there. Just pick your battles, don't fret if you find out someone is like pirating your shit, live shows: don't expect to make money, if anything, live shows gain listeners but you lose alot of money by doing them.

DO LIVE SHOWS THOUGH. Do 1 or 2, only bring a few CD's to make it look like you sold out, next show do the same but with a surplus of CD's and a few shirts, etc. Repeat. It'll build hype. Make you seem more famous than you might actually be. Only book a show with someone you know can pull a crowd, and flyer the fuck out of it IRL. Copies are like 10 cents at a library, do a simple black and white flyer if possible, flyer the FUUUCK out of it, everywhere, even if it's in an odd spot. Trust me, flyering is mad underrated. My band prints a 200 minimum for most shows.

I dunno, just some pointers. I'd like to think that I know what I'm talking about to some extent when it comes to live shows and shit, but I'm no master. Learn from your mistakes. Give it time. But most of all, HAVE FUN. Stop doing the shit the second it becomes something you dread doing. I hate booking shows but I love booking shows. It's weird. It's all in good fun. Have fun. Love what you do. People aren't gonna wanna hear shit from you if you don't make it obvious that you love what you are doing and that you apperciate the fact that they are DLing and liking your shit. Kiss ass to your fans, my bud in a band called Psychotic Reaction alienated a good bit of his fan base because he wouldn't kiss ass, his band kind of went to shit in terms of a fan base after that... Last show I saw them at, had like 15 people. Kiss ass to FANS, not cronies and stuff.

Life's a bitch and I'm just along for the ride.
eboyd Date: Sunday, 30/Oct/11, 4:03 AM | Message # 6

Heads
Quote (LordMeth)
Hmm....I honestly don't know. Maybe the fanbase ur reaching out to doesnt buy music.
Underground fans would download music WAAAAAY BEFORE they would buy it regardless of how much they like them.

This really registers with me. The major reason real hip hop has faded away from the limelight is because hip hop heads are so damn fickle and cheap. That said, if all hip hop heads are that way, then the successful underground artists out there are either somehow appealing to a mainstream audience to make there money, which obviously isn't the case, or those people are actually purchasing those artists' albums. Because of this, I feel that there is something more I need to do.

Quote (Ratmn)
Wait.

Just fucking wait. That's all you gotta do.

Why do you say that?

Quote (EmSeeD)
honestly i think you're expecting too much to happen too soon, if you want more sales, you should be doing live shows, interviews, video blogs and all that kind of stuff to spread awareness of your music

As you can see I have a music video which, I would think, should have helped sales a bit. Also, I finally got into contact with Rap Revival and they are going to help me promote. I will do live shows eventually. With the interviews, how am I supposed to get people to interview me and what kinds of things would you expect from an Agent X interview? With the vlogging, what kinds of things do you have in mind for that? And how would that help me promote?

Quote (EmSeeD)
i noticed there were a lot of downloads of single tracks from your album too, which means they paid 50 cents for each track, but those don't seem to count towards sales

Really?? Where did you see that? As far as I saw there were a good amount of people downloading my mixtape, as well as some downloading individual tracks from it, and it also registered the single download of every track off my album that I did for free before I released it and that counted as 1 download for each track, but once it came to money they avoided it. Where did you see that they dl'ed single tracks a lot?

Quote (ilikebacon3000)
Could be several reasons.. They might just not like it enough to wanna buy it, or maybe they're lying. It's very easy to click a link and listen to something as background music and not really listen to it, and to be honest, that's what the majority of people are probably doing, the average listener.

Here's my main thing though: people on this website who claim to support real shit haven't bought it yet, you included. Be honest with me. Listen to it on bandcamp and tell me, do you like it? From the response I've gotten here and elsewhere it has been overwhelmingly positive. That being the case, why won't you guys support it? You come up with all these theories of what I'm doing wrong all you want, but it comes down to this: you are a fan, you like the music on my album, yet you refuse to give away that $5 to purchase a copy and support my artistry. I mean there are so many people here that claim to be down with real shit, yet when it comes to supporting the real they don't spend any money. It's hypocritical as hell.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

EmSeeD Date: Sunday, 30/Oct/11, 4:38 AM | Message # 7

Heads
Quote (eboyd)
Really?? Where did you see that? As far as I saw there were a good amount of people downloading my mixtape, as well as some downloading individual tracks from it, and it also registered the single download of every track off my album that I did for free before I released it and that counted as 1 download for each track, but once it came to money they avoided it. Where did you see that they dl'ed single tracks a lot?

oh i didn't know that was you that downloaded it, i thought it was other people

Quote (eboyd)
how am I supposed to get people to interview me and what kinds of things would you expect from an Agent X interview?

maybe do a video interview with mnemonic or an affiliate artist from top nations and talk about your music and your views and shit like that, I know its easy for me to just say, but if I was putting an album out, I would have worked with as many known people in the underground scene from my area as possible, I would have even done battles in my area, anything just to get my name known before I put the album out

Quote (eboyd)
Here's my main thing though: people on this website who claim to support real shit haven't bought it yet, you included. Be honest with me. Listen to it on bandcamp and tell me, do you like it? From the response I've gotten here and elsewhere it has been overwhelmingly positive. That being the case, why won't you guys support it? You come up with all these theories of what I'm doing wrong all you want, but it comes down to this: you are a fan, you like the music on my album, yet you refuse to give away that $5 to purchase a copy and support my artistry. I mean there are so many people here that claim to be down with real shit, yet when it comes to supporting the real they don't spend any money. It's hypocritical as hell.

most of the people on this site don't even have jobs and still in school, maybe they simply don't think its worth spending their money on

http://chirbit.com/emseed
http://youtube.com/siwooot
Greeny Date: Sunday, 30/Oct/11, 5:16 AM | Message # 8

OGs
Then let me fucking buy it already! D:

:)
Menace Date: Sunday, 30/Oct/11, 8:02 AM | Message # 9

Heads
Quote (EmSeeD)
most of the people on this site don't even have jobs and still in school, maybe they simply don't think its worth spending their money on

amen

NtG Date: Sunday, 30/Oct/11, 11:02 AM | Message # 10

Heads
The problem is that (at least i've noticed it) you tend to jump into things without to much thought (RHHF Charts, RHHF Mixtape, The Album) You can't expect to get a lot of sales when, honestly, people really don't know about you. If they knew your name prior to putting out the album, then you probably would get more sales. But its not all about the money, right? dance

[deleted]
El_Matador Date: Sunday, 30/Oct/11, 11:15 AM | Message # 11

Heads
Satchel Page, before releasing his album, did hella shows with Large Pro and Neek The Exotic. He also brought Ayatollah to produce his album for him. Just because he wasn't sure whether the album sells or not, none of the Tollah's beats he had were exclusive. He just paid him a small amount of money for a "license" to use the beats from the instrumental albums he released before (which was a pretty smart decision). Instead of that, he focused on making the one single that will earn him some fame - Sweet 16's that featured Large Pro, Neek, Sadat X and Mikey D. Emseed is right, you didn't take your time to promote yourself properly. My suggestion is, to take your album off the bandcamp, take your time and do some shows (Mnemonic is a head of the label you got signed to, ask him for help!), start battling other rappers, do some controversial shit (find some famous rapper, provoke him just to get a reason to beat the shit out of him - that will work!), when you meet anyone that's famous (very famous, famous or just a little bit famous) ask him\her to take a picture with you! And upload it on your Agent-X's facebook (yes, it is a very important part of your promotion, let people see who you fuck with), then go back to the studio and work on more tracks (get a featured verse from some famous rapper or a beat from some famous producer - you have no other option, you NEED to invest your money) and the last thing you need to do, when you'll be sure that you gained some recognition, is to release Modus Operandi 2.0 (not a 2nd album, just a re-release of your 1st album with additional tracks added, including a collabo with some famous son of a bitch). That's what I'm saying. I'd suggest you to take my advice. Still, it's your career and you make your decisions.

MENACE 2 JOKER: Go back to Mexico you damn spic
JOKER 2 MENACE: Shut up you fake nigga your a damn sand nigger not a full nigger

ilikebacon3000 Date: Sunday, 30/Oct/11, 12:15 PM | Message # 12

Emcees
Well, this is gonna seem quite shitty of me, choose to bash me for it or not, but I don't have a card or anything of that sort. I roll in nothing but cash, I don't even have a bank account. I cash my check at the gas station down the street from my house and just have my cash under my bed in a shoebox.

However, if you really really want me to buy it, next pay check i will go get a card and do it just for you sweetcheeks. It's just a hassle for me is all, like someone else said, about being in school and working and shit, i just don't want to take the time to go to walmart or wherever, talk on the phone to a robot for 30 minutes to activate that card, and do all that shit. i guess in my case, and some others, they just don't see the process as worth their time.

Treach Date: Sunday, 30/Oct/11, 12:21 PM | Message # 13

OGs
i gotta agree with emseed and el mat. also most people nowadays with all the free downloads are picky as hell when it comes to buying shit..

Added (30/Oct/11, 11:21 Am)
---------------------------------------------
also, if you hit me up with a physical copy i will def buy your shit..cus..once you get famous i can sell that shit for way more. lol im j/p. but yeah if i get a cd in a pretty box ill buy it gladly man

"We took pride in intellect and skill
Now you gotta have some sex appeal to get a record deal"
- K-RINO
NtG Date: Sunday, 30/Oct/11, 2:52 PM | Message # 14

Heads
Quote (ilikebacon3000)
Well, this is gonna seem quite shitty of me, choose to bash me for it or not, but I don't have a card or anything of that sort. I roll in nothing but cash, I don't even have a bank account. I cash my check at the gas station down the street from my house and just have my cash under my bed in a shoebox.

However, if you really really want me to buy it, next pay check i will go get a card and do it just for you sweetcheeks. It's just a hassle for me is all, like someone else said, about being in school and working and shit, i just don't want to take the time to go to walmart or wherever, talk on the phone to a robot for 30 minutes to activate that card, and do all that shit. i guess in my case, and some others, they just don't see the process as worth their time.

he said you can mail him cash

[deleted]
ilikebacon3000 Date: Sunday, 30/Oct/11, 4:27 PM | Message # 15

Emcees
then i might do that.
then again i've been meaning to get a card anyways, this could be an excuse to get off my couch and do it.

Forum » RHHF Artists/Battlers » RHHF Artist's Music » WTF AM I DOING WRONG???!
  • Page 1 of 3
  • »
Search: