Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: s0dr2  
Forum » Off-Topic » General Music » Celebrated singer Teena Marie dead at 54
Celebrated singer Teena Marie dead at 54
abanks47 Date: Tuesday, 04/Jan/11, 1:43 PM | Message # 1

Emcees
For celebrated singer Teena Marie, rhythm and blues music was more than a fad or foray into the infamous blue-eyed soul regime, it was a way of life. Raised in Oakwood, Calif., a predominately black enclave, the powerhouse singer became acclimated with the vocal acrobatics and emotion that drives R&B music at an early age. Her innate childhood musical abilities flourished into a prosperous career that included songwriting, four Grammy Award nominations and a kindred career with late R&B singer Rick James. And, for her legion of fans, the “Ivory Queen of Soul’s” music transcended race.

On Dec. 26, the singer’s daughter Alia Rose found her mom dead at her California home, according to manager Lynn Jeter. In November, Marie suffered a grand mal seizure—which causes dramatic muscle spasms and loss of consciousness— and reportedly faced a similar episode shortly before her death. The family has not released the exact cause of death.

Ironically, Alia Rose, who performs under the name Rose Le Beau, had celebrated her 19th birthday hours before on Christmas Day and on Dec. 24, Marie tweeted, “19 years ago today, I was in labor! My heavenly father gave me the most glorious gift I could ever receive. A baby girl on Christmas!”

Born Mary Christine Brockert in 1956, Marie’s most popular hits included “Portuguese Love,” “Ooo La La La” and “Square Biz,” which have been sampled by popular acts such as The Fugees, Foxy Brown and Dru Hill. Throughout her near 35-year career, Marie sang under several record labels, including Epic, Cash Money Classics, and Stax Records.

However, Marie stormed the black music scene as a fresh faced 19-year-old with Motown Records in 1976. Her debut album, “Wild and Peaceful,” spawned the hit “I’m Just a Sucker for Your Love” with outspoken crooner Rick James. According to her website, many “Wild and Peaceful” fans incorrectly assumed Marie was African American until her TV debut on “Soul Train” in 1979.

She went on to release a slew of albums in the following decades, including her sophomore release “Lady T,” “Passion Play” (1994), “La Dona” (2004) and her most recent album, “Congo Square” (2009).

Washington, D.C. and Baltimorearea fans last welcomed the doeeyed musician in August at The Birchmere in Northern Virginia and in 2009 at the African American Heritage Festival, where Marie looked the picture of perfect health.

A WELL DRESSED SKELETON SLOWLY CUTS YOUR THROAT.

"I Have No Fear Whatsoever of Anybody or Anything" -Malcolm X

“those who consider themselves the most adamant adherents of “real” hip-hop can also be the least knowledgeable.” –Adilifu Nama; an excert from his perception of Nas’s “Genesis”

abanks47 Date: Tuesday, 04/Jan/11, 1:43 PM | Message # 2

Emcees
surprised no one mentioned this. a shame, she was quite young

“those who consider themselves the most adamant adherents of “real” hip-hop can also be the least knowledgeable.” –Adilifu Nama; an excert from his perception of Nas’s “Genesis”

eboyd Date: Wednesday, 05/Jan/11, 1:14 AM | Message # 3

Heads
this was a while ago. i didn't really know who she was. i've heard of her though. RIP

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

abanks47 Date: Wednesday, 05/Jan/11, 1:38 PM | Message # 4

Emcees
she was biggest with rick james, id post the track but nothin on youtube

song called fire and desire was there biggest hit. if you ever listen to r/b or soft rock stations you should have heard it. wasnt too long ago, was last week

Chinita Date: Wednesday, 05/Jan/11, 11:27 PM | Message # 5

Heads
RIP Teena Marie, legend...it was just recently E, just a bit over 2 weeks ago.. its to bad, she still performed live till this day but not many mentioned her anymore until she just passed.. here are some tracks that were hits...

behind the groove

Square biz was another one of her popular tracks

I need your lovin

Rick James & Teena Marie - Fire and Desire

Rick James and Teena Marie Live

Ooh La La La

eboyd Date: Thursday, 06/Jan/11, 4:08 PM | Message # 6

Heads
Quote (LadyChinita)
it was just recently E, just a bit over 2 weeks ago

i heard about it when it happened. 2 weeks is a long time. i'm just saying i'm surprised no one posted earlier. had i known who she was i would have posted it myself.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Erratic-Methodz Date: Monday, 10/Jan/11, 11:14 AM | Message # 7

Beatboxers
Quote (abanks47)
Teena Marie

...wait she was a singer?

i thought teena was from giligans island you know the weird show us people would
of watched at one point or another shit show made no sense like how that ladys clothes
changed every scene she was in. and they never seemed to get dirty.

anyways RIP teena

Forum » Off-Topic » General Music » Celebrated singer Teena Marie dead at 54
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: