[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]

Login:
Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Forum moderator: s0dr2  
Forum » Off-Topic » Regular Off-Topic » What's the limit on controversial subjects?
What's the limit on controversial subjects?
LoveThatHipHop Date: Sunday, 14/Dec/08, 7:53 PM | Message # 1

Emcees
Because I have a subject that I want to get all of your opinions on, and I'd really like to address it smile

Because I'm cool like dat. I'm chill like dat. I'm peace like dat.
eboyd_ Date: Sunday, 14/Dec/08, 8:11 PM | Message # 2

Removed
Go ahead. That's what this section is for.
ilikebacon3000 Date: Sunday, 14/Dec/08, 8:24 PM | Message # 3

Emcees
go for it, brotheren.

Life's a bitch and I'm just along for the ride.
LoveThatHipHop Date: Sunday, 14/Dec/08, 8:30 PM | Message # 4

Emcees
go for it, brotheren.

sisteren smile

I found the literal meanings for these two words on dictionary.com and have this to say:
Nigger
–noun
Slang: Extremely Disparaging and Offensive.
a.
a black person.
b.
a member of any dark-skinned people.
Slang: Extremely Disparaging and Offensive. a person of any race or origin regarded as contemptible, inferior, ignorant, etc.
a victim of prejudice similar to that suffered by blacks; a person who is economically, politically, or socially disenfranchised.

nigga

noun
(ethnic slur) extremely offensive name for a Black person; "only a Black can call another Black a nigga"

We all know where the word nigger came from. It was a derogatory term that White slave masters used against their African American slaves, while whipping their backs with straps or shouting, “Kill that nigger!” So why are we coming up with excuses for such an offensive word? No people, adding an –a or a –ah on the end does not make it lose it’s original meaning either! Neither is it something to be proud of! You may be black, but that does not make you a nigger, nor a nigga.

It's unavoidable. Especially in the hip hop community. It's so sensitive and contentious, but yet used so heavily and casually; do we even notice it any more? I mean we've heard it so many times should it even be a problem? What's up my nigga? Nigga Please. Sucka Nigga. Niggaz4Life. Niggaz Iz Bad. Niggaz Don't Die. Fo Shizzal My Nizzle (fo sho my nigga). Fly Nigga Hill Figga. Niggas. We even hear non-black people using the word (Fat Joe in example, who is Puerto Rican/Cuban) So I ask, should the word be brought to subject and be noticed, or should it be left alone?

eboyd_ Date: Sunday, 14/Dec/08, 8:46 PM | Message # 5

Removed
Interesting. This was relevant to me recently. I play football and my coaches, respectable black men, heard a player, also black, use the term casually. We had a team meeting and the coach asked him "are you a nigga? You seem to like using that word casually" and the kid responded "well, I'm black, so yeah, I'm a nigga." The coach kicked him off the team.
Boner-Jamz-11 Date: Sunday, 14/Dec/08, 9:10 PM | Message # 6

Rappers
that word just needs to be forgoten. Nobody should be using that word.

#TeamHipster
#SWAGSWAG

TUMBLR CLICK CLICK CLICK!
EmSeeD Date: Sunday, 14/Dec/08, 9:15 PM | Message # 7

Heads
i thought we already had a thread about this.

http://chirbit.com/emseed
http://youtube.com/siwooot
Lord_Meth Date: Sunday, 14/Dec/08, 9:15 PM | Message # 8

Heads
Blaze...wtf....?

Sick With It
Boner-Jamz-11 Date: Sunday, 14/Dec/08, 9:17 PM | Message # 9

Rappers
we do have a thread like this

#TeamHipster
#SWAGSWAG

Lord_Meth Date: Sunday, 14/Dec/08, 9:18 PM | Message # 10

Heads
Quote (EYAR15)
we do have a thread like this

EYAR15...? wat does that mean

Sick With It
Boner-Jamz-11 Date: Sunday, 14/Dec/08, 9:19 PM | Message # 11

Rappers
my graffiti name

#TeamHipster
#SWAGSWAG

Lord_Meth Date: Sunday, 14/Dec/08, 9:24 PM | Message # 12

Heads
Quote (EYAR15)
my graffiti name

oh ok that clears things up

Sick With It
Menace Date: Sunday, 14/Dec/08, 9:28 PM | Message # 13

Heads
Quote (LoveThatHipHop)
sisteren smile

I found the literal meanings for these two words on dictionary.com and have this to say:
Nigger
–noun
Slang: Extremely Disparaging and Offensive.
a.
a black person.
b.
a member of any dark-skinned people.
Slang: Extremely Disparaging and Offensive. a person of any race or origin regarded as contemptible, inferior, ignorant, etc.
a victim of prejudice similar to that suffered by blacks; a person who is economically, politically, or socially disenfranchised.

nigga

noun
(ethnic slur) extremely offensive name for a Black person; "only a Black can call another Black a nigga"

We all know where the word nigger came from. It was a derogatory term that White slave masters used against their African American slaves, while whipping their backs with straps or shouting, “Kill that nigger!” So why are we coming up with excuses for such an offensive word? No people, adding an –a or a –ah on the end does not make it lose it’s original meaning either! Neither is it something to be proud of! You may be black, but that does not make you a nigger, nor a nigga.

It's unavoidable. Especially in the hip hop community. It's so sensitive and contentious, but yet used so heavily and casually; do we even notice it any more? I mean we've heard it so many times should it even be a problem? What's up my nigga? Nigga Please. Sucka Nigga. Niggaz4Life. Niggaz Iz Bad. Niggaz Don't Die. Fo Shizzal My Nizzle (fo sho my nigga). Fly Nigga Hill Figga. Niggas. We even hear non-black people using the word (Fat Joe in example, who is Puerto Rican/Cuban) So I ask, should the word be brought to subject and be noticed, or should it be left alone?

yes yes yes and yes is a disgrace to black people to use even on them selfs the word colonialism still lives in those terms

LoveThatHipHop Date: Sunday, 14/Dec/08, 9:40 PM | Message # 14

Emcees
What i don't understand is why people still use it. It's a horrible word, but people are only increasing it's popularity.

Added (08/Dec/14, 9:38 Pm)
---------------------------------------------
[Black] people are so offended by it, yet they use it on themselves.

Added (08/Dec/14, 9:40 Pm)

We had a team meeting and the coach asked him "are you a nigga? You seem to like using that word casually" and the kid responded "well, I'm black, so yeah, I'm a nigga." The coach kicked him off the team.

This is what I'm saying.

Menace Date: Sunday, 14/Dec/08, 9:45 PM | Message # 15

Heads
Quote (LoveThatHipHop)
What i don't understand is why people still use it. It's a horrible word, but people are only increasing it's popularity.

Added (08/Dec/14, 9:38 Pm)
[Black] people are so offended by it, yet they use it on themselves.

Added (08/Dec/14, 9:40 Pm)
We had a team meeting and the coach asked him "are you a nigga? You seem to like using that word casually" and the kid responded "well, I'm black, so yeah, I'm a nigga." The coach kicked him off the team.

This is what I'm saying.

well the over commercialization of the word made it famous making money from anything made it big as well as the educational limits in the black community and capitalist exploit of it

Forum » Off-Topic » Regular Off-Topic » What's the limit on controversial subjects?
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search: