[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]

Login:
Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
Forum moderator: Aristotle, s0dr2, ThaScience  
Forum » Real HIP HOP Forever » Rate & Review Music » Illmatic Vs. Liquid Swordz (THE OFFICIAL DEBATE!!!!)
Illmatic Vs. Liquid Swordz
Which Hip Hop Classic is TRUELY the classic?
1. Illmatic - Nas [ 26 ] [59.09%]
2. Liquid Swordz - GZA th Genius [ 18 ] [40.91%]
Answers total: 44
Lord_Meth Date: Thursday, 29/Jan/09, 8:25 PM | Message # 61

Heads
Quote (eboyd)
Oh, have you heard Elzhi's "The Preface"? He was featured on one of the tracks on that joint.

OOOH I kno wat track u talkin bout..I never knew it was him so I didnt think he was THAT bad

Sick With It
ThaScience Date: Thursday, 29/Jan/09, 8:55 PM | Message # 62

OGs
Illmatic

what a dumb question.. dry

Lord_Meth Date: Thursday, 29/Jan/09, 10:19 PM | Message # 63

Heads
I actually agree with Erik about them being both Classic Albums but I just think Illmatic is better

Sick With It
ill Date: Thursday, 29/Jan/09, 10:34 PM | Message # 64

Emcees
For me, Illmatic is an album of singles if you get me, while LS has more direction to it. Illmatic does have a general direction but LS builds a whole image.

It's like MF Dooms operation doomsday vs mm..food, one creates a whole Iimage and story, the other is full of dope songs but with less of a colective aim, maybe I'm looking too deep LOL but that's my take

The World Is Yours
Lord_Meth Date: Thursday, 29/Jan/09, 10:35 PM | Message # 65

Heads
Quote (ill)
It's like MF Dooms operation doomsday

MF DOOM yo favorite Mc?

Sick With It
ill Date: Thursday, 29/Jan/09, 10:42 PM | Message # 66

Emcees
Yeeah, but I used that example cos me and erik were talking about it in another thread

The World Is Yours

Message edited by ill - Thursday, 29/Jan/09, 10:43 PM
El_Matador Date: Tuesday, 03/Mar/09, 9:17 AM | Message # 67

Heads
Nas is too monothematic on street life stories, he could beat The GZA but Illmatic, just like eboyd said, is only about how life sucks and shot outs for Queensbridge and his brothers in prison. In my opinion most deep and best track on Illmatic was "Memory Lane", if Illmatic'd be just like that track, then "Illmatic aint nothing to fuck with". RZA beats on LS were better too (RZA could kill anyone with his productions in those times, it was a Golden Age Of The RZA). I vote LS

MENACE 2 JOKER: Go back to Mexico you damn spic
JOKER 2 MENACE: Shut up you fake nigga your a damn sand nigger not a full nigger

J-Breakz Date: Tuesday, 03/Mar/09, 6:50 PM | Message # 68

Heads
first of all, they have different style of rapping i'd say so its hard to compare them... but I'd go with liquid swords because I love the style of production... unlike what meth said I find the beats anything but bland... with rza's production (atleast in the early 90's) he surrounds the listener in that dark, grimy sound scape that was and still is way ahead of its time. and the samples from the kung fu movie told a story that assisted (for a lack of a better term) the album's sound. Also, Gza's lyricism is anything but simple. the dude is crazy with the metaphors but it able to get his point clear within each song... so yeah, I gotta vote liquid swordz... and NO I aint dick riding!! lol, maybe it sounds like it but all that is true.

livin life like some cheesy movie
EmSeeD Date: Wednesday, 04/Mar/09, 1:39 AM | Message # 69

Heads
Quote (ill)
you gotta remember illmatic is his DEBUT album

Nas kills it, i dont see where the comparison even is but thats just me

maybe you should try actually listening to Liquid Swords. <_< I remember i first bought it coz i was hearing about how good it was, when i first got it i was disappointed, but after a few proper listens i know its one of the best hip hop albums ever, its one of those few albums where you can listen the whole way through without skipping a track, also it just put me in this dark mood like it was telling a story, like i could really picture what GZA was talking about like it was some dark movie, Illmatic didn't do that. But both albums are good, both are really different, i'd almost call it a tie really. But i only vote LS just.

http://chirbit.com/emseed
http://youtube.com/siwooot
ill Date: Wednesday, 04/Mar/09, 8:45 AM | Message # 70

Emcees
Quote (ill)
It's like MF Dooms operation doomsday vs mm..food, one creates a whole Image and story, the other is full of dope songs but with less of a colective aim, maybe I'm looking too deep LOL but that's my take

thats what i mean there, i dunno i cant listen to gza the same way i listen to nas. illmatic is just crazy with the whole thing, ls is too grimy for me

btw this should be moved back

The World Is Yours
eboyd Date: Wednesday, 04/Mar/09, 9:16 PM | Message # 71

Heads
surprised

in spite of Nas being so overly loved here, LS is WINNING!!! surprised surprised surprised surprised

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

eboyd Date: Wednesday, 04/Mar/09, 9:24 PM | Message # 72

Heads
Quote (Joker13)
eboyd you suck

lol! why?!?! biggrin

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

eboyd Date: Wednesday, 04/Mar/09, 9:33 PM | Message # 73

Heads
:'(

biggrin

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

eboyd Date: Wednesday, 04/Mar/09, 9:41 PM | Message # 74

Heads
biggrin i know. you're just mad that i voted LS, huh? smile

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

El_Matador Date: Friday, 06/Mar/09, 8:54 AM | Message # 75

Heads
Oh... and debut of Jeru The Damaja in my opinion is better than Illmatic and LS

MENACE 2 JOKER: Go back to Mexico you damn spic
JOKER 2 MENACE: Shut up you fake nigga your a damn sand nigger not a full nigger

Forum » Real HIP HOP Forever » Rate & Review Music » Illmatic Vs. Liquid Swordz (THE OFFICIAL DEBATE!!!!)
Search: