Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
Forum moderator: El_Matador, Aristotle, s0dr2  
Forum » RHHF Artists/Battlers » The Cypher » The Emceeing Tutorial
The Emceeing Tutorial
eboyd Date: Saturday, 30/May/09, 7:45 PM | Message # 31

Heads
Quote (Pensmoke)
Guilty. cool I have used the dictionary quite a few times in the past.

no shame in that. it's a good way to learn.

Quote (El_Matador)
And sometimes I got feeling that Canibus doesnt. lol

why? have you noticed things in his tracks that he uses incorrectly/out of context?

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

ill Date: Saturday, 30/May/09, 7:53 PM | Message # 32

Emcees
dont talk to me about lyrics
i know all your little gimics
i know about rhyming dictionaries
and i know about rhymes on dot come please!

The World Is Yours
El_Matador Date: Saturday, 30/May/09, 8:24 PM | Message # 33

Heads
Quote (eboyd)
why? have you noticed things in his tracks that he uses incorrectly/out of context?

yeah, I've noticed few times some things that didnt make no sense

Quote (ill)
dont talk to me about lyrics
i know all your little gimics
i know about rhyming dictionaries
and i know about rhymes on dot come please!

Just pack the dictionary on every cypher. LMFAO

MENACE 2 JOKER: Go back to Mexico you damn spic
JOKER 2 MENACE: Shut up you fake nigga your a damn sand nigger not a full nigger

Uncharted Date: Saturday, 30/May/09, 8:51 PM | Message # 34

Watchers
-two words: breath control. this is vital to any serious emcee. it can make or break your career. if you do not learn strategic breathing on tracks you WILL run out of breath and it WILL sound bad. i've seen many cats with breath control problems (including myself for a while) actually physically write in their breathing points on paper. this becomes less necessary as you gain skill because an experienced emcee will memorize their breath points by instinct, especially if he/she is doing shows because in order to do shows you need to memorize the verse(s) inside out anyways. if it isn't memorized you will sound like an idiot

thats my problem also, and my major problem is flow/delivery, when i read my rhymes i stumble over words.Any advice on that??

eboyd Date: Sunday, 31/May/09, 1:29 AM | Message # 35

Heads
All you really need to do to prevent stumbling is read the verse over and over until you memorize the whole thing in and out. When it comes to flow/delivery, send me some lyrics and the beat you want to spit them over and I'll do a crappy quality recording so you can get an idea and pracice it. Best way though is to practice spitting in styles of other emcees. That way through their styles you can fashion your own.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Lord_Meth Date: Wednesday, 24/Jun/09, 0:21 AM | Message # 36

Heads
Quote (eboyd)
you're on the right path. as you keep going with it you will develop your own style through theirs. that's what Em did when he was spitting like Nas and then he dropped SSLP and it was a sealed deal from there.

Thats wat I been going thru these few months!!!
Since Eminem is my favorite MC I kinda used his style to start off with and now my style is developing off his style like he did with Nas & AZ
Funny thing u mentioned that too LMAO!!
Pretty soon my cousin is gonna have his home studio up and running and hes gonna let me rap in it so pretty soon yall can be hearing me on wax biggrin

Sick With It
Lord_Meth Date: Wednesday, 24/Jun/09, 0:24 AM | Message # 37

Heads
Quote (Uncharted)
thats my problem also, and my major problem is flow/delivery, when i read my rhymes i stumble over words.Any advice on that??

I used to have that problem myself, wat u have to do is say your rap aloud as you go along and make sure your flow follows the cadence of the beat so u wont sound like your rapping off beat
Just tap your finger or watever like a snare drum in a beat
thats what I do to keep my cadence

Sick With It
Lord_Meth Date: Wednesday, 24/Jun/09, 5:16 PM | Message # 38

Heads
bump

Sick With It
Uncharted Date: Wednesday, 24/Jun/09, 5:17 PM | Message # 39

Emcees
DAMN beated me to it lol

Lord_Meth Date: Wednesday, 24/Jun/09, 5:17 PM | Message # 40

Heads
Quote (Uncharted)
DAMN beated me to it lol

biggrin

Sick With It
Uncharted Date: Thursday, 02/Jul/09, 2:00 AM | Message # 41

Emcees
MANY people say my rhymes r dope in a text battle on here but i need help on one thing....shortening bars.I use to write like this:

ex.

Quote (Uncharted)
its been a long time comin bitches:
I am one of the best yet to come
lyrical haymakers in yo head have sounds of snare drums
I dont make up grudges or dont blow niggas dicks
relieve yo lips on this AK ,the ammo will take care of the blowin
Happy to see the free rhyme token?
Niggas sound like a bunch of mobsters but at the main event they chokin
I dont care though, i rip away his dough
leave some money so he can catch AIDS from cheap hoes
Rip yo body open put it together and control yo ass like a puppet
Cremate your whole body, have your life turned into a external rain of a money flood
Into a eternal drizzle of blood, Everytime I flow I get stronger and hyper
Had no one to battle so i spit my soul through the cypher
Hard lurkin bars blossoms throughout my rhymes, take away yo watch so u wont look at the time
the cypher continues, dry niggas wet chest with thier own muscle tissue
Yall make me laugh bipolar muthafucks
First wanna front like drug dealers then beg for pussy like R&B singers
Snapin yo fingers, talkin hard shit, bouncin around
In ya gay ass videos cars, bitches makin it rain with a glock with no round
Since im young, my elders expect me to do snappy shit
up-and-coming,wack ass underground snap rappers are so lame lookin like souljia boy's bitches
give yall my one-hit-wonder yo ass gon leave with more than stitches
I just had to get that off my chest just had that itch
Seriously, comparing them to me is like comparing a hitman with a M8 to a plumber with a wrench
Get yo girl banged while you in the studio trying to sound like t-pain
Get yo ass gunned up and clapped quick while you gettin hard over lil wayne
No pain no gain,with a little fame,little nigga puttin little rhymes in big shame

now thats how i use to rap in my journal (this verse was the one i posted in the cypher a long time ago)

this is my structure of rhyming currently this is my rap on dropping out from the last day of school (which seems alot more organized)

Quote (Uncharted)
In my opinion, its dumb dropping out/ Walking with you head down /Under a dark cloud /Remember, education is a tool /You think its cool but in my eyes your a cool fool /Listen to these words, because they are humble /If you dont, you will go through struggle and trouble on the double/ Dont dropout, do this for your family/ Look up to education, so your won't end in a tragedy/ This is not a exaggeration, /Do this for your determination/ So you won't end up in fustration, Meditate school down to the core/Would you rather be smart or become poor/Probably even worse/get hated by everybody and not exist anymore/End up in jail, dumbfounded, then your going to cry/ Dont dropout, and improve your 3rd eye

Now can anybody help me shape up my rhyme structure when it comes to text battling on here so i wont look sloppy when i rhyme

eboyd Date: Thursday, 02/Jul/09, 11:14 AM | Message # 42

Heads
They are right. I think what you need to do to get yourself more organized with it is learn about meter. It's not something a lot of hip hop artists study, but you could benefit from studying it. When you get it down you will have a better sense of cadence and your bars won't sound "crammed". It's more of a poetic ideology but it still is important in hip hop as well for people who do not have a sense of it naturally. I posted about it earlier somewhere. You can find more by doing a simple google search on "poetic meter". Of course the meter is only one aspect. There's also always how you say it and I'd say that's more important. Depending on how you say it there's not as much of a need to shorten bars, but remember, the more syllables/chaotic meter you use, the more breath control skill you will need.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Uncharted Date: Thursday, 02/Jul/09, 1:14 PM | Message # 43

Emcees
Quote (eboyd)
They are right. I think what you need to do to get yourself more organized with it is learn about meter. It's not something a lot of hip hop artists study, but you could benefit from studying it. When you get it down you will have a better sense of cadence and your bars won't sound "crammed". It's more of a poetic ideology but it still is important in hip hop as well for people who do not have a sense of it naturally. I posted about it earlier somewhere. You can find more by doing a simple google search on "poetic meter". Of course the meter is only one aspect. There's also always how you say it and I'd say that's more important. Depending on how you say it there's not as much of a need to shorten bars, but remember, the more syllables/chaotic meter you use, the more breath control skill you will need.

thanks for the info

Quote (8Diagrams)
LOL...Abba...XD
Anyway, I need help on my punchlines more than anything. Help?

idk just think of a word that rhymes with a object or famous person or person u know LOL

eboyd Date: Thursday, 02/Jul/09, 1:22 PM | Message # 44

Heads
8, Start analyzing words and seeing how you can flip them. As an emcee you need to learn that you are a scientist dissecting words and analyzing them and putting them back together again in whatever way you choose. For example, let's choose a random word. Let's say "enigma". What can we say about this word that could be used as a play on words? Well, "enigma" and "enema" are very similar in sound. What you do with it from there is completely up to you. This specific play on words will probably end up being comedic. Just start analyzing words more and you will get used to it.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

eboyd Date: Thursday, 02/Jul/09, 1:30 PM | Message # 45

Heads
No doubt cool

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com