[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]

Login:
Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
Forum moderator: s0dr2, El_Matador  
Forum » Real HIP HOP Forever » General Hip Hop Discussion » Hip Hop's Main Problem Right Now Is...
Hip Hop's Main Problem Right Now Is...
eboyd Date: Sunday, 11/Jan/09, 4:05 AM | Message # 16

Heads
exactly. we're trying to gain a member a day. that is our mission. we're building a new and improved site as we speak through GoDaddy.com and the best part is you won't have to re-register. we have t-shirts being made soon, and many other things in store. we just need more people contributing.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Dilla4Ever Date: Sunday, 11/Jan/09, 4:08 AM | Message # 17

Rappers
Yeah when I get my moula up Ill cop some shirts if yall got my size lmao I'm 303lbs
eboyd Date: Sunday, 11/Jan/09, 4:16 AM | Message # 18

Heads
DAMN! how did you gain 20 lbs. dog? what size, 3X? ask and we'll make it special for you. my boy Menace got that on lock. he's in process with it. we're waiting for our graf artists (EYAR15 and AceKat) to come up with a design.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

eboyd Date: Sunday, 11/Jan/09, 4:19 AM | Message # 19

Heads
btw, Blu is dropping a new mixtape called So(ul) Amazing Part 2 and i posted a link to a site where you can dl a bootleg. it's down there somewhere. you'll have to find it but it's worth it. oh, and i bought El-P's "I'll Sleep When You're Dead," King Geedorah's "Take Me To Your Leader" and Dalek's "Abandoned Language" today. haven't even taken the shrink wrap of yet.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Dilla4Ever Date: Sunday, 11/Jan/09, 4:26 AM | Message # 20

Rappers
cool Im takin your advice and checcn out jay electronica so far so good...
eboyd Date: Sunday, 11/Jan/09, 4:35 AM | Message # 21

Heads
yeah, i told you. dude isn't like anyone else man. oh, btw, you know you can choose your group right? you can be a Rapper, DJ, Beatboxer, Writer or, what you are right now, a BBoy. if you stick around and show some love whenever you can i can also bump you up to the title Emcee if you like. glad to have you here though bro.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

I_Guy Date: Sunday, 11/Jan/09, 4:42 AM | Message # 22

Heads
FOUR MAIN REASONS IMO.
1. The youth has lost touch with history. This is with all history. We all know the American greatness is dissolving in every way. Therefore our ability to be educated about all aspects of history is in peril. No one notices the transition into ignorance though. Money and materialism is more important than knowledge. The majority of the youth is distracted. It's like all kids now days have A.D.D.

2. The shit Menace was saying, the real shit is suppressed (due to reasons pertaining to the above).

3. There are no new major inspirations. That's why all the respectable artists are just spinning their wheels. They have no one to look to as an innovator (where the innovation actually worked). They're also simply frustrated.

My theory is give a guy a microphone and raise him without hip hop. Teach him the science of hip hop and then step away, see what he creates. Of course this isn't possible, but it's a for sure solution however impossible it is. That's really the only way we will get a mutant hip hop (beings it isn't evolving). Because current artists can't imagine out of their current realm. When we go to make a song, we think of other songs and many struggle with not borrowing from the songs they are thinking of. The film industry is suffering from the same problems. We suck the tittie of the past. That's why there is no progression.

I agree this shit needs to get more complex (but this isn't possible due to the reasons above^).

4. There are millions of topics to write about, yet it is always the same recycled shit. The artists now basically need to set their egos aside and find themselves, become in touch with themselves and just let the shit flow. Once you understand yourself you then truly grow. It has to do with self knowledge which is one of the biggest struggles that many face, gaining self knowledge. But after self knowledge, there is world knowledge. Most decent rappers are stuck on self knowledge and haven't yet attained world knowledge to the point where it is coherant in their music. I've always thought that Plato, Aristotle, Petrarch, Makiavelli, etc. would make good rappers. I'm rambling on here now, so basically what we need is artists deep in philosophy, psychology, history, and art (writing, poetry, storytelling), all supported by concrete logic, reason, and rational thinking and who set aside egos in order to focus on ^^^^^^^.

The fall of hip hop is basically one of many fallen practices. Just look at the world. Almost all forms of all activities (especially creative related) have fallen to cliches, platitudes, formulas, and simplicity (because complexity and unorthodox methods do not register in the common person's mind, so it is set aside for the generation of $$$$$$$$$$$ instead). It's not just hip hop, it's everything. There is no scale for this, because the entire scale is tipping. I'm telling you we're de-evolving!

We all know that each of our end is near; the question is do we accept the end of our living existence, or do we accept our existence as dead men...

Message edited by I_Guy - Sunday, 11/Jan/09, 4:53 AM
eboyd Date: Sunday, 11/Jan/09, 4:51 AM | Message # 23

Heads
that is where you and i as artists come in I_Guy. no one else will do it so why not us?

some questions to think about (some i already asked):

1. Why does a beat HAVE to be done in a 4 count?

2. Why does a beat have to end sounding almost the same as it began?

3. Why does every emcee/rapper have to rap about things he experiences as his ego (extrovert self) and not his shadow (hidden self)?

4. why does every track have to be done in 1st person?

5. why does every track have to be straight forward with no alliterations or abstractions?

until we can answer these, hip hop will remain in it's creative rut and continue "spinning it's wheels" per se.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

I_Guy Date: Sunday, 11/Jan/09, 5:01 AM | Message # 24

Heads
Quote (eboyd)
1. Why does a beat HAVE to be done in a 4 count?
3. Why does every emcee/rapper have to rap about things he experiences as his ego (extrovert self) and not his shadow (hidden self)?
4. why does every track have to be done in 1st person?
5. why does every track have to be straight forward with no alliterations or abstractions?

If an artist and producer could make an album full of this, I would not only be fascinated, I would be blown away. Acually I have been playing with the odd beat making for a while, nothing official yet though. I think it's difficult to do because people aren't used to it (because we use formulas), but I think it can be gotten used to. I've been playing with alot of third person lyrics also.(it's easier beings I'm already an alright story writer).

Quote (eboyd)

2. Also I've thought about that too. I'm imagining progressive beats that slowly transition and evolve throughout the song, slow enough though that the transition isn't so apparant.

Quote (eboyd)

3. That's how people fall completely in love with some rappers. When the rapper actually reveals shit about themselves that's for real that the listener can relate to. Not many people do that. That's why I like my home town rapper Stik Figa. Because he does that shit (mainly his old school stuff though), and I love his music for that. It's that realness that's effective.

We all know that each of our end is near; the question is do we accept the end of our living existence, or do we accept our existence as dead men...

Message edited by I_Guy - Sunday, 11/Jan/09, 5:04 AM
eboyd Date: Sunday, 11/Jan/09, 5:04 AM | Message # 25

Heads
i have a concept drumline i came up witrh today. let me try to record it somehow and show it to you. it's like a 5 count beat. i guess in music that would be a 4-3? it has like a stutter after the first 2 beats of a count. it will be revolutionary, i think, if i do it right. it's nothing new, but in hip hop it is.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

eboyd Date: Sunday, 11/Jan/09, 5:21 AM | Message # 26

Heads
Quote (I_Guy)
I've been playing with alot of third person lyrics also.

two of three of my tracks so far have been third person, one has been second and none have been 1st. i try to avoid first as much as possible. 1st person is a sign of poor penmanship to me unless the writer can really make it work.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

I_Guy Date: Sunday, 11/Jan/09, 5:33 AM | Message # 27

Heads
Usually the only time I use first person is when I'm tackling political issues or frustrating topics. As an artist is first coming out (ex. 1st album) I think it's important to have a few first person tracks because it lets the listener get close to you. They build an understanding of your personal emotion as a human being and it establishes your position directly as an emcee. It has an authoritative effect in a way, which is important as an establishment of first impression.

But after that (second album and on) I think the creativity can then flow. That's just my opinion. That's how I'm doing me.

Message edited by I_Guy - Sunday, 11/Jan/09, 5:34 AM
Menace Date: Sunday, 11/Jan/09, 11:14 AM | Message # 28

Heads
LOL so in the end the problem is social not music wise the problem is the people not the artists or the music if the people progress music will progress too

ill Date: Sunday, 11/Jan/09, 1:03 PM | Message # 29

Emcees
i think there is alot of music out theres thats like that, not so much with these new drum patterns and beats but know that there is movement there and its happening. but im gonna say the blame lays at the listeners, all the people there have put in work for there music collections, i've spent days and days just surfing looking for new music and yeah ive found some but i still dont know shit, theres people on youtube that drop me songs i would never of found in my life, and its cos theyve put in more work then me when it comes to diggin in those crates i wish i knew 1/10 of the songs some of those cats play. but believe this, there are artists who tick the criterea you're looking for i promise you that but you gotta digg deep, i'm not saying its your fault im just saying instead of waiting for the music to change, we gotta find the musicians and artists that are changing the music. and put weight behind them.

the reason theres so much shit on the radio is because people cant be bothered or dont have the time to take part in communitys like this, they dont get any new music from their computer, just their radio. and thats where we gotta take em back to school, its nothing about the music its all about us, we gotta be active listeners, we do that and the music will take care of itself.

i just wrote that it probaly doesnt make much sense but it did in my head, good post E ive enjoyed reading what heads have gotta say

The World Is Yours
eboyd Date: Sunday, 11/Jan/09, 1:23 PM | Message # 30

Heads
Thanks and to let you know I am listening to Dalek as we speak so I know damn well that there are artists like that, but they are so few and far between or they are hard as fuck to find it is ridiculous. Artists weren't this hard to find in the 60's for example (of course there was a huge movement in that direction back then). You had people like John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Ornette Coleman, Pharaoh Sanders, Sun Ra, then on the rock side Jimi Hendrix, Carlos Santana, Black Sabbath, etc., that made music that was so complex and amazing. They were all easy to find. You know how hard it is to find Dalek? No local music stores have them. You are lucky to find them on iTunes. And then there's Saul Williams who is a bit easier to find, Heiruspecs, ArtOfficial, etc. I think the closest thing to an easy to find example of people expanding the genre, like I said in the original post, is Definitive Jux.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Forum » Real HIP HOP Forever » General Hip Hop Discussion » Hip Hop's Main Problem Right Now Is...
Search: