[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]

Login:
Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
  • Page 1 of 3
  • »
Forum moderator: s0dr2, El_Matador  
Forum » Real HIP HOP Forever » General Hip Hop Discussion » Hip Hop's Main Problem Right Now Is...
Hip Hop's Main Problem Right Now Is...
eboyd Date: Saturday, 10/Jan/09, 6:56 AM | Message # 1

Heads
hi everyone. i'm new here. just thought i'd get this interesting idea off my chest and see what you all think.
we can all agree that for the past several years hip hop on TV and radio sucks ass. in fact, i'd go as far as to say music in general today sucks on the airwaves. this is an opinion that is undeniably shared by young and old heads alike. however, though the underground is booming with talent, 90% of it is nostalgic of the golden age and tackles the exact same topics over and over again; "hip hop is dead," "the mainstream rappers are wack," "where's the substance in todays hip hop?" blah blah blah, so on so forth. OK, we get it already. even the extremely innovative and ingenious Saul Williams seems stuck on the topic of hip hop's current state with his poetry book "Dead Emcee Scrolls" and numerous tracks such as "Telegram To Hip Hop" and the last verse on "Black Stacey"... hell, more than half of his 2004 self titled album. when are emcees going to realize that there are more topics to talk about? it seems every emcee has to have at least one track on their album about this same burnt out topic. this last year alone, The Reks, Reef The Lost Cauze, Invincible, and just about every other underground emcee who dropped in 2008 had at least one such track. why? and the more our artists do this the more dumb fucks like Soulja Boy are going to say Nas killed hip hop and other things to make our blood boil and focus even more on this topic. why must we have a struggle between mainstream and underground for who is keeping who in check? this, i feel, is limiting the progress of hip hop more than anything. big ups to groups and artists like Dalek, Aesop Rock, and a very few select others who choose not to talk about hip hop's death in their music, and even have made tracks talking about exactly what i'm talking about here ("realize what you holding ain't really broken"). why can't we have more hip hop BANDS like The Roots, Heiruspecs, Forth-N-Back, Us3, ArtOfficial, etc.? why can't rappers connect with their poetic side a bit more? and i don't mean spoken word, i mean some straight abstract TS Eliot type shit. why can't hip hop beats have dynamic changes like a symphony or some avant garde/classic jazz (*goes and listens to "A Love Supreme" by John Coltrane*)? just a few ideas. i am an artist myself (a poet/emcee and producer) and i try to incorporate this into my music without focusing on the drone topic i've been discussing for this entire post, but i feel like me and a few others were the only ones who got the memo. hip hop is stuck in a stall pattern -- an extended adolescence if you may. it's been around for almost 40 years now. it's time to grow up a little bit. where are my hip hop John Coltranes and Jimi Hendrixes? my Ornette Colemans and Cecil Taylors? is anyone with a new vision going to emerge or are we going to be stuck in this struggle between old school hip hop and pop wanna-be rap forever?

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Chinita Date: Saturday, 10/Jan/09, 8:05 AM | Message # 2

Heads
Quote (eboyd)
hi everyone. i'm new here. just thought i'd get this interesting idea off my chest and see what you all think.
we can all agree that for the past several years hip hop on TV and radio sucks ass. in fact, i'd go as far as to say music in general

did you write that? cry

eboyd Date: Saturday, 10/Jan/09, 2:06 PM | Message # 3

Heads
Yes

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Menace Date: Saturday, 10/Jan/09, 2:24 PM | Message # 4

Heads
maybe there is someone out there that has this vision?? it is possible but the world seems to restrain the power of the artist so the good artist turns his back or sells out to the masters that transform him in whatever they want in this current stage of the world another social movement can't emerge cause now days the system is designed to kill them or steal them new ideas new sounds can't emerge cause the world is to much in a tight grip and they let nothing to breath

eboyd Date: Saturday, 10/Jan/09, 2:52 PM | Message # 5

Heads
True, but either way the problem is apparent, it's just that the culprit who is responsible for it isn't.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Menace Date: Saturday, 10/Jan/09, 3:00 PM | Message # 6

Heads
Quote (eboyd)
True, but either way the problem is apparent, it's just that the culprit who is responsible for it isn't.

100% agreeing whit you people are rushing to point fingers but the problem here is more deeper then many think

EmSeeD Date: Saturday, 10/Jan/09, 3:06 PM | Message # 7

Heads
a lot of underground artists are sometimes boring, they don't move the crowd or make people wanna have a good time or dance to. its good to chill or relax to, but the fact they don't make songs to move the crowd holds them back.

http://chirbit.com/emseed
http://youtube.com/siwooot
eboyd Date: Saturday, 10/Jan/09, 3:16 PM | Message # 8

Heads
Mark, that's not really addressing the same issue. Yes, I agree, the underground needs to learn how to rock a party like KRS, Rakim and so many others used to. However, my point is that the music is not progressing like, for example, jazz did in the 1960's. We are sort of spinning our wheels but moving nowhere.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

LyricalContent Date: Saturday, 10/Jan/09, 11:42 PM | Message # 9

Emcees
Quote (eboyd)
my point is that the music is not progressing like, for example, jazz did in the 1960's. We are sort of spinning our wheels but moving nowhere.

well I think the reason for that is hip hop only listen to hip hop how many of them even know anything about jazz in the 60s???
how many of them read books or do any kind or research for that matter??? alot of them have limited vocab some their music sometimes sound the same even when they don't mean for it to be so when someone knowledgeable say something they say it too it's like when nas said it was broke and everyone echoed and started to point fingers like menace said who cares who broke it? just fix it, krs one and them had more to talk about because they looked outside the box so when they spoke people listened

For the preaching of the cross is to them that
perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God
1 Cor 1:18
http:
//www.youtube.com/user/thelastgreatone

The grass withers and the flowers fall,
but the Word of our God shall stand forever
is:40,8
eboyd Date: Sunday, 11/Jan/09, 3:05 AM | Message # 10

Heads
Quote (LyricalContent)

well I think the reason for that is hip hop only listen to hip hop how many of them even know anything about jazz in the 60s???
how many of them read books or do any kind or research for that matter??? alot of them have limited vocab some their music sometimes sound the same even when they don't mean for it to be so when someone knowledgeable say something they say it too it's like when nas said it was broke and everyone echoed and started to point fingers like menace said who cares who broke it? just fix it, krs one and them had more to talk about because they looked outside the box so when they spoke people listened

i'm referring to the artists we listen to though, not the ignorant mainstream artists. even people like Nas and KRS are constantly talking about the state of hip hop in their music and progressing it no further than it already is. it's stuck in a state of minimal 808 and 909 patterns that sound the same as the last guys. when are we going to hear a producer make a beat that doesn't follow a 4 count? when are we going to hear more producers like Jay Electronica making drumless, bassless beats? when are rappers going to rap with more abstract subjects (big ups to a few select rappers)? shit needs to get more complex than it is on both ends -- mainstream and underground.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Dilla4Ever Date: Sunday, 11/Jan/09, 3:38 AM | Message # 11

Rappers
As I mature Im beginning to think people who have substance or any type of sense to them should stop getting angry at Soulja Boy and people like that... Its like when you are the oldest and your lil bro or sis is teasn u just have to ignore it...and pretty much he was ignored 100,000 albums sold..dissing him publicly and even mentioning his name is keeping him relevant...Plies is another who isn't hiphop at all as well as many more but as long as people keep ignoring them they will fade away and wont be remembered because the material they are making isn't at all memorable....do you honestly think Plies will be able to tour 20 years down the line with "Bust It Baby' I doubt that shit lmao because MC Hammer sure cant tour with "Cant touch This" but Nas will be able to with countless classics as well as The Roots,KRS, Jay-Z, GZA, Rakim, and all the true people who are making real music...so by ignoring these minstrel show puppets it will police itself and also going out and buying real music instead of burning it....I kno my dawg Boyd buys shit Ive witnessed his sick ass collection much props too him...what I'm basically trying to say is the wackness us the real hiphopheads see will eventually kick in to the average listeners thats why Soulja Boy sold 100.000 big time flop....now as far as music changing and developing more that will take bravery and time for sumone to do this I remember hearing this Jay-Z song called "Ignorant Shit" and in the begining hes talkin he said "Yall niggaz got me really confused out there, I make "Big Pimpin" or "Give To Me" or one of those yall hail me as the greatest writer of the 21st century...I make some thought provoking shit yall question whether I'm fallin off" LMAO hes right man so who ever is goin to change hiphop and take it in a diffrent direction better be ready for some ridicule but it comes with the territory

Message edited by Dilla4Ever - Sunday, 11/Jan/09, 3:46 AM
eboyd Date: Sunday, 11/Jan/09, 3:46 AM | Message # 12

Heads
beautiful post! i am having this same argument over at UGHH.com right now and i got 46 responses, unfortunately in the last 10 it became an argument on whether E-40 is real or not and some faggot e-gangsta challenged this dude to come out to Sac-Town because the other guy is the king of the streets there. fucking ridiculous.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Dilla4Ever Date: Sunday, 11/Jan/09, 3:48 AM | Message # 13

Rappers
LMAO tell them dudes to bring the debate over here this is a great site big dawg forreal this topic should be shown nationally so everyone can read it
eboyd Date: Sunday, 11/Jan/09, 3:54 AM | Message # 14

Heads
thanks man. me and my comrades here try to run this site as best as we can. non-confrontational while still tackling some touchy subjects. bring your bro and all your boys from CT on man. we need more members and you need to get on more often. you bring a lot of relevant points to the convo.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Dilla4Ever Date: Sunday, 11/Jan/09, 3:56 AM | Message # 15

Rappers
For sure man I'll tell my bro for sure Got to get it out to everyone
Forum » Real HIP HOP Forever » General Hip Hop Discussion » Hip Hop's Main Problem Right Now Is...
  • Page 1 of 3
  • »
Search: