[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]

Login:
Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
  • Page 1 of 3
  • »
Forum moderator: Menace, Aristotle, El_Matador  
Forum » Knowledge » History/Culture » Labeling in society (your views on it)
Labeling in society
ilikebacon3000 Date: Tuesday, 11/Jan/11, 2:40 AM | Message # 1

Emcees
What are your views on labeling people?

I honestly hate it when people say that labeling people is wrong. Sure, it's shitty and I wish we didn't label people, BUT, I think that even at a sub-conscience level, we label people without noticing.
You meet someone new at a coffee shop. For some reason, you decided to go talk to them. You don't know why. You just did.
That's labeling. You just aren't aware of it. The way we treat people when we first meet them is based off of pre-conceived notions in our head, such as skin color, appearance, hair style, clothing, even posture. Later on as you get to know the person, the label wears off and you start to see the person as who they really are.

In addition to believing this, I also believe that in western society, we are all a tad bit racist whether we like to admit it or not, and that's not always a bad thing... I mean we are all this way, in the sense that most people form a pre-conceived notion off of people that is usually (but not always) based around skin color. BUT, logic tells us that these stereotypes aren't always true, so rarely does someone say something ignorant like "All black people like hiphop and sag their pants." because even though alot of black people do that, we know that there are alot of black people who don't do that either.

Thoughts?

Just to let you know, this was written in a rush and I feel like my thoughts weren't conveyed the exact way I wanted them to be, but it was good enough to slide by.

Life's a bitch and I'm just along for the ride.
eboyd Date: Tuesday, 11/Jan/11, 2:51 AM | Message # 2

Heads
i think labels are absolutely necessary. after all, every word is a label. labels are like shortcuts on your computer desktop. they make it so you don't have to dig through a bunch of unnecessary garbage to get to what you are looking for.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

ilikebacon3000 Date: Tuesday, 11/Jan/11, 2:56 AM | Message # 3

Emcees
But do you think they are bad?

I'm gonna be honest. I generalize and label people who are in my life (not IN my life, but in and around my life. People I know but don't KNOW) all the time. I say "He's a hipster." or "He's just that typical black guy." all the time.

I do think it's shallow of me to say "typical black guy" but being honest, really brutally honest, the typical urban black male sags his pants, listens to hiphop, uses some form of ebonics, etc etc.
I do the same with white guys. "He's a typical suburban white boy." You know the type. Plays sports, normal home life, semi-religious, etc etc.

It's nothing racist. It's just an easier way to explain it.

abanks47 Date: Tuesday, 11/Jan/11, 11:49 AM | Message # 4

Emcees
Quote (ilikebacon3000)
But do you think they are bad?
I'm gonna be honest. I generalize and label people who are in my life (not IN my life, but in and around my life. People I know but don't KNOW) all the time. I say "He's a hipster." or "He's just that typical black guy." all the time.

I do think it's shallow of me to say "typical black guy" but being honest, really brutally honest, the typical urban black male sags his pants, listens to hiphop, uses some form of ebonics, etc etc.
I do the same with white guys. "He's a typical suburban white boy." You know the type. Plays sports, normal home life, semi-religious, etc etc.

It's nothing racist. It's just an easier way to explain it.

this is wrong and offensive. seems like every time you try to bring up a point you have to bring race into it and its always about black people. the fact you do that is sad because i do not know 2 black people who are exactly the same and that goes for every race.

A WELL DRESSED SKELETON SLOWLY CUTS YOUR THROAT.

"I Have No Fear Whatsoever of Anybody or Anything" -Malcolm X

“those who consider themselves the most adamant adherents of “real” hip-hop can also be the least knowledgeable.” –Adilifu Nama; an excert from his perception of Nas’s “Genesis”

ilikebacon3000 Date: Tuesday, 11/Jan/11, 5:41 PM | Message # 5

Emcees
Quote (abanks47)
this is wrong and offensive. seems like every time you try to bring up a point you have to bring race into it and its always about black people. the fact you do that is sad because i do not know 2 black people who are exactly the same and that goes for every race.

So you're saying part of the opinion you form on someone when you first meet them isn't based on race?

I don't think it's racist for my mind to associate certain things with stereotypes, because my common sense tells me some things, like
-The person might not be like that stereotype at all
-Maybe the person IS like that stereotype but they are still a good person, so I should treat them well.

Plus, do you really think if I was racist, I would listen to hiphop OR punk rock? Really?

Ratmn Date: Tuesday, 11/Jan/11, 7:08 PM | Message # 6

DJs
Depends of the label.
If is a positive label, or a, let's say, label for only you (Example, i like black girls, but i don't like white girls, so i tend to date black chicks), there's nothing bad about that. BUT, labels get wrong when there's bad feelings behind them (Example, black guy, nice car, must be a drug dealer).

Besides that, labels are everywhere, and there's NO way that we could do something about them. You'll keep labeling people till you DIE.

Just learn to use lighter labels, and give that person a chance to break that label.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
ilikebacon3000 Date: Tuesday, 11/Jan/11, 7:32 PM | Message # 7

Emcees
Quote (Ratmn)
epends of the label.
If is a positive label, or a, let's say, label for only you (Example, i like black girls, but i don't like white girls, so i tend to date black chicks), there's nothing bad about that. BUT, labels get wrong when there's bad feelings behind them (Example, black guy, nice car, must be a drug dealer)

Exactly. What I'm saying is, when a label pops in my head that is bad (like the one you mentioned), I use my brain and my common sense to remind myself that those ideas were simply drilled into my head by society through things we see in movies, music videos, etc etc and that not all... Well actually a very small percentage black people are that way, and that I should learn about the person before I act on that judgement I made.

Thank you.

abanks47 Date: Tuesday, 11/Jan/11, 8:15 PM | Message # 8

Emcees
Quote (ilikebacon3000)
So you're saying part of the opinion you form on someone when you first meet them isn't based on race?

are you fucking serious? of course not. i would never ever base my opinion of someone based on the pigment of there skin and if you do i truly feel sorry for you
Quote (ilikebacon3000)
Plus, do you really think if I was racist, I would listen to hiphop OR punk rock? Really?

how does your preference of a race determine what music you listen too? this is just you labeling and stereotyping again associating blacks with hip hop which is wrong. all races spit on the mic
Quote (ilikebacon3000)
I don't think it's racist for my mind to associate certain things with stereotypes, because my common sense tells me some things, like
-The person might not be like that stereotype at all
-Maybe the person IS like that stereotype but they are still a good person, so I should treat them well.

you feel what ever you like but to me personally it is the exact opposite and is indeed racist

“those who consider themselves the most adamant adherents of “real” hip-hop can also be the least knowledgeable.” –Adilifu Nama; an excert from his perception of Nas’s “Genesis”

Adam Date: Tuesday, 11/Jan/11, 8:24 PM | Message # 9

B-Girls
Quote (abanks47)
are you fucking serious? of course not. i would never ever base my opinion of someone based on the pigment of there skin and if you do i truly feel sorry for you

i would never entertain the idea or even like to believe that I do, but like it or not we all do it self consciously whether we want to or not.

I JUST EXPLODED INTO RAINBOWS AND LOLLIPOPS!
abanks47 Date: Tuesday, 11/Jan/11, 8:33 PM | Message # 10

Emcees
i dont care what you think. i do interviews, i meet new people all the time and when i see them i dont fucking consider what race they are. i see if there an asshole or not. my fam has a person from every ethnic background and all continents and i have learned not to judge people on stereotypes because you look like a fuckin dumbass.

say what yall like but yall need to:

A: Graduate
B: Work in the real world
C: Grow the fuck up

any of the above will help a long ways

Adam Date: Tuesday, 11/Jan/11, 8:51 PM | Message # 11

B-Girls

the mind's a beautiful thing abanks why not try opening.

and if you really don't care what I think then why the fuck do you respond with stubborn as messages.

ilikebacon3000 Date: Tuesday, 11/Jan/11, 8:57 PM | Message # 12

Emcees
Quote (abanks47)
say what yall like but yall need to:

A: Graduate
B: Work in the real world
C: Grow the fuck up

any of the above will help a long ways

Quote (abanks47)

abanks47 Date: Tuesday, 11/Jan/11, 8:58 PM | Message # 13

Emcees
dude i feel like you are the ones in the picture. i dont care if thats how you guys are but dont throw me into that demographic because i am not like that. i simply dont do it.

sorry if im bothering you :)

abanks47 Date: Tuesday, 11/Jan/11, 8:59 PM | Message # 14

Emcees
ilikebacon, please stop.

Adam Date: Tuesday, 11/Jan/11, 9:02 PM | Message # 15

B-Girls
how are we even close to close minded. we are literally exercising a lot of different ideas and shit right now and you are swatting them away.

Forum » Knowledge » History/Culture » Labeling in society (your views on it)
  • Page 1 of 3
  • »
Search: