[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]

Login:
Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Forum » Off-Topic » Rant Forum » Nas Verse on "I Do It For Hip Hop" Doesn't Fit in (it doesn't go with the theme and the other two were better)
Nas Verse on "I Do It For Hip Hop" Doesn't Fit in
EmseeD Date: Thursday, 25/Dec/08, 0:42 AM | Message # 1

Watchers
did nas verse on the song "I Do It For Hip Hop" seem to not fit? Also it seemed like Ludacris and Jay-Z's verse were better, coz they actually stuck with the theme of doing what they do for the love of hip hop. Nas went on this ramble about all this other stuff about being socially awkward and something about bee's and preditors which had nothing to do with the theme at all. Nas seems to do this quite a lot i think he just doesn't know what to rap about.

Deadly-Sin Date: Thursday, 25/Dec/08, 0:46 AM | Message # 2

Removed
AGREED!!!!!!
eboyd_ Date: Thursday, 25/Dec/08, 1:12 AM | Message # 3

Removed
They say I’m so low key, I’m socially awkward
Only those that really know me are the ones that I talk with
They smile in the light, hate in the dark,
you call it beef, to me its's just a fuckin’ walk in the park
Because you are who you are when nobody is looking
That's who you are so when the cash and cars is gone, the day after tomorrow
Don’t be askin’ to borrow, ski maskin’ it hard, like the way you rap in your bars

^^^all of that was a set up for these last two lines. he's talking about how he doesn't fuck with certain people for a reason and these people call him socially awkward. the final two bars of the part i grouped is like the answer to why he's socially awkward; he doesn't associate himself with these fakes in the hip hop game.

I could ride on you and whoever, devise new endeavors
I’m as live as hive full of predators

if he wanted to he could kill all these people, but he's too mature for that BS

Twenty thousands different species of bees
Some half poisonous sting, some just pollinating their leafs
It's just like rap, some will buzz some will attack, compromising their own life in fact

he's using bees as a metaphor for rappers. some rappers are halfway decent and some are just in it to get cash and live lavish.

Sixteen years since my first sixteen, pardon the rest of my niggas
But I’m the best whoever did it

he's been in the game 16 years and witnessed all the bullshit, all the real shit, and he can confidently say he feels he's the best.

EmSeeD Date: Thursday, 25/Dec/08, 1:18 AM | Message # 4

Heads
yeah its just that it seems unnecessary, i knew they were metaphors etc but its just not really effective or necessary to the concept of the song, the song is supposed to be about how they do what they do for the love of hip hop, not fakes in the game or whatever. just look at luda and jay's verses

http://chirbit.com/emseed
http://youtube.com/siwooot
eboyd_ Date: Thursday, 25/Dec/08, 1:23 AM | Message # 5

Removed
how is it not fitting the theme? why write a track about "doing it for hip hop" unless you have a good reason? there are a lot of lames out there doing bullshit so because of them they made this track to let these fakes know why they do it and call them out to step up. Nas is doing the same and his metaphor was absolutely effective. it is a true testament to show how hard he though about his verse for this track. sure, i could probably come up with something more effective, but i am also a poet on top of being a rapper. most rappers can't come up with something that effective and dead on. i give credit where it's due and it is due here. all verses were dope as fuck.
EmSeeD Date: Thursday, 25/Dec/08, 1:37 AM | Message # 6

Heads
Quote (eboyd)
how is it not fitting the theme? why write a track about "doing it for hip hop" unless you have a good reason? there are a lot of lames out there doing bullshit so because of them they made this track to let these fakes know why they do it and call them out to step up. Nas is doing the same and his metaphor was absolutely effective. it is a true testament to show how hard he though about his verse for this track. sure, i could probably come up with something more effective, but i am also a poet on top of being a rapper. most rappers can't come up with something that effective and dead on. i give credit where it's due and it is due here. all verses were dope as fuck.

it just sounded like nas verse belonged or was written for another song, it almost sounds like Nas is actually talking about him and Jay-Z's beef. Or infact all these so called beef's he's had like the one with Jim Jones, but the song is supposed to be Do It For Hip Hop.

eboyd_ Date: Thursday, 25/Dec/08, 2:21 AM | Message # 7

Removed
you are obviously misinterpreting what he said then. he's not talking about his beefs even though he mentioned them, he's talking about the state of hip hop and telling dudes to step their game up.
Acekat00o Date: Thursday, 25/Dec/08, 6:28 AM | Message # 8

Heads
i love the song ,it has an atmosfere ,it makes me warm ,the beat is insane!

Graffiti
EmSeeD Date: Thursday, 25/Dec/08, 2:43 PM | Message # 9

Heads
Quote (Acekat00o)
love the song ,it has an atmosfere ,it makes me warm ,the beat is insane!

the song was great, and jay-z and ludacris verse made me feel the same.

eboyd_ Date: Thursday, 25/Dec/08, 3:10 PM | Message # 10

Removed
I still don't understand how you can sit there and tell me Nas' verse isn't fitting. Why, because his lyrics on it are more abstract? He's still stating the exact same thing as Luda and Jay, just in a more creative way.
EmSeeD Date: Thursday, 25/Dec/08, 3:26 PM | Message # 11

Heads
Quote (eboyd)
I still don't understand how you can sit there and tell me Nas' verse isn't fitting. Why, because his lyrics on it are more abstract? He's still stating the exact same thing as Luda and Jay, just in a more creative way.

in a more confusing and way i guess, jay-z talks about the beginnings of hip hop and why he used to do it and what hip hop did for him, ludacris also talks about why he loves hip hop and why he still does it. and what does Nas talk about? other rappers needing to step up their game?

eboyd_ Date: Thursday, 25/Dec/08, 3:37 PM | Message # 12

Removed
First off, Jay used a quote from MC Shan at the beginning. Either way, wtf is the point of the track if it is just about 3 dudes reminiscing on hip hop back in the day? The track is meant for more meaning than that. You know what, hold on.
eboyd_ Date: Thursday, 25/Dec/08, 3:55 PM | Message # 13

Removed
Luda:

Yeah, Now this is what they call poetry in motion
My soul bleeds on the paper, heart screams with emotion
This my daily devotion, that verses stay deeper than the ocean
So hip-hop you owe me a promotion
Yeah, I do a little boastin’ and braggin
’What’s all the commotion and naggin’ about
Cuz I’m still the champ in the south
Cuz rappers get in the booth and I keep draggin ‘em out
Where they fired and these pink slips I keep handin’ ‘em out
Cuz this is Theater of Mind, consider it a sign
Of what’s to come next, my money’s just fine
Bank filled with dump checks
Terrorist threat flow, proceed to drop (bombs) like Mr. Funk Flex
But I don’t do it for the money, I do it from the heart
I’ll do it with the beat box, I did it from the start
I’ll do it for the DJs, I’ll do it for the charts
The Van Gogh flow, Luda do it ‘cuz it’s art
I do it for the fans, I do it on command
I do it for the front row, I do it for the stands
I spit it for the hood, I do it for the block
And since nine years old,I did it for hip-hop

Jay:

Hip-hop
Started out in the park
We used to do it to avoid the Narcs
I used to do it so the homeboy Clark can get the f@#k off my backwhile I knocked off these packs
I used to rap to impress my friends
The past of time when I was gettin’ it in
Just so happens I’m so illegal with the pen, they ain’t want me to do anything illegal again
I lost a lot of dawgs to these streets
I got Grammy awards on these beats
Thank God for Kool Herc
Without this sh!t I probably would’ve got murked
Shout outs to Grandmaster Flash and the cash
And even Jazz bum ass
Hip hop helped me wash me ass
These other rappers couldn’t wash my socks
That’s why I took the number one slot
The realest shit in rap comes from my voice box
Lord knows when I was on my clock
I probably never would’ve stopped
Thank God for hip-hop

If you read and listen closely, yes, they are paying homage, but why? Just to say thank you hip hop, or to also get others to realize why they do it so that they do the same? Nas is just strengthening that message. Making it more prominent. On top of that Luda says a few things in his verse (I throw RAPPERS [as opposed to emcees] out of the booth, etc.) That allude to what Nas says. It would be a pointless track if they weren't trying to make hip hop better by making this track.

EmSeeD Date: Thursday, 25/Dec/08, 8:43 PM | Message # 14

Heads
Quote (eboyd)
But I don’t do it for the money, I do it from the heart
I’ll do it with the beat box, I did it from the start
I’ll do it for the DJs, I’ll do it for the charts
The Van Gogh flow, Luda do it ‘cuz it’s art
I do it for the fans, I do it on command
I do it for the front row, I do it for the stands
I spit it for the hood, I do it for the block
And since nine years old,I did it for hip-hop

but see here luda bought it back around and talked about hip hop, nas never did that

eboyd_ Date: Thursday, 25/Dec/08, 9:06 PM | Message # 15

Removed
Yes, he did. He was talking about hip hop the whole time! Who cares if he didn't finish off saying "I do it for hip hop" like Luda and Jay did. Why does he need to? That wouldn't make the verse fit, it would just make verse less original. Why stick to the same formula as everyone else? His style isn't that Eric B. & Rakim "repeat the title of the track just before the chorus" type of style, so why should he do it here? That's ridiculous. He talked about hip hop and his affiliation with it throughout and the verse fits just fine because of it.
Forum » Off-Topic » Rant Forum » Nas Verse on "I Do It For Hip Hop" Doesn't Fit in (it doesn't go with the theme and the other two were better)
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search: