[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]

Login:
Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
Forum moderator: El_Matador, ThaScience  
Forum » Off-Topic » RHHF Talk » Should We Restructure The Forum? If So, How?
Should We Restructure The Forum? If So, How?
Should We Restructure The Forum? If So, How?
1. Yes, we should restructure it in both ways [ 5 ] [55.56%]
2. We should only get rid of the "New Messages" layout. The Knowledge Section is a bad idea [ 1 ] [11.11%]
3. We should only start the Knowledge Section. Getting rid of the "New Messages" layout is a bad idea [ 2 ] [22.22%]
4. Neither is a good idea [ 0 ] [0.00%]
5. Certain aspects of each idea are good [ 0 ] [0.00%]
6. I have another idea (please explain) [ 1 ] [11.11%]
Answers total: 9
eboyd Date: Wednesday, 09/Dec/09, 2:19 AM | Message # 1

Heads
This is a continuation of the Forum Restructuring thread. We will now vote on the forum restructuring. Please read that thread before voting here. Thank you.

Ok, this will be a long discussion with a lot of contrasting opinions so bear with me here.
I feel that there are a number of things that need to be changed on the forum for various reasons. What I will do is present what needs to be changed, and each topic will be followed by the reasons it needs to be changed and the ways I would hope the ideal restructuring to go. So without further ado, here we go:

New messages counter:

Reasons

-threads are getting lost in the shuffle
-certain types of threads are getting precedence over other threads (ie: knowledge/political and off-topic over general hip hop) because they are all seen as one unified forum under the new messages counter
-because of the aforementioned, assumptions easily get made about our site (ie: we are an atheist hip hop site because of the plethora of knowledge threads that are biased towards atheism)

Proposed remedy to the problem

Remove all forums from the new messages counter

How will this help?

-people will only be able to go to a thread if they want and therefore will not get the idea that there is bias
-people will have to decide what topic they want to go to and so if a forum is being neglected it will only be because the thread is irrelevant and we should consider losing it (depending on what the forum is for)
-threads will not get lost in the shuffle as quickly

Knowledge/political forum:

reasons

-specific subjects (such as rational philosophy, anarchy, etc.) are given far too much precedence, jeopardizing the neutrality of this site

proposed remedy to this problem

Create a Knowledge Section with forums such as religion (or lack thereof), religious debate, politics, philosophy, economics, etc.

how will this help?

-religious people could have an entire section to discuss their religious views without ridicule, eliminating the anti-religious bias inherent on the site, yet still go and discuss opposing views in the religious debate forum
-different threads that relate to certain topics will no longer be neglected

http://realhiphop4ever.ucoz.com/forum/16-3584-1

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

eboyd Date: Wednesday, 09/Dec/09, 2:22 AM | Message # 2

Heads
Here's the link:

http://realhiphop4ever.ucoz.com/forum/16-3584-1

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

J-Breakz Date: Wednesday, 09/Dec/09, 2:27 AM | Message # 3

Heads
So this is only brought up because of a majority of people on this site are athiests?

I personally see no need of the new messages section, I never use it.

livin life like some cheesy movie

Message edited by J-Breakz - Wednesday, 09/Dec/09, 2:29 AM
EmSeeD Date: Wednesday, 09/Dec/09, 2:38 AM | Message # 4

Heads
i think creating the knowledge section is a good idea, and i guess we can get rid of the new messages, even though i use it all the time

my only concern is that the religion part might hardly get used anyway

http://chirbit.com/emseed
http://youtube.com/siwooot
eboyd Date: Wednesday, 09/Dec/09, 6:29 AM | Message # 5

Heads
Quote (J-Breakz)
So this is only brought up because of a majority of people on this site are athiests?

It's a big part of it, but not the only one. And it's more than that in that regard as well. It's to the point that atheists are driving religious folks away. Because of that, a large population of potential members are driven away.

See, I may be anti-capitalist, but I still have business savvy and I know about marketing ;)

Quote (EmSeeD)
my only concern is that the religion part might hardly get used anyway

RECRUIT! Especially you since you believe in God. I'm also waiting on Pensmoke to get back to me.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Chinita Date: Wednesday, 09/Dec/09, 3:46 PM | Message # 6

Heads
i voted, Yes, we should restructure it in both ways because we have nothing to loose but maybe to gain some of our Christian members back like thelastgreatone, pen or gain new ones that might enjoy that section but the "new messages" i think we should just give it a try to see how it works out, i know many love using that feature..maybe give it a week and if things stay the same or many threads/section are still being over looked we'll put that feature back, we should also bump many older hip hop threads once in awhile.

s0dr2 Date: Wednesday, 09/Dec/09, 4:27 PM | Message # 7

OGs
uhhhh why get rid of the new messages...thats all i ever use :'(

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

Chinita Date: Wednesday, 09/Dec/09, 5:23 PM | Message # 8

Heads
Quote (sodr2)
uhhhh why get rid of the new messages...thats all i ever use

so vote for number 3

thats all i use also...me and erik were talking bout other sections that get over looked because of it..if we didn't have the new message feature it would make others go to the actuall forums section they are interested in and enter any thread they desire instead of hitting new messages and always seeing topics that are being discussed now.. well something like that haha...it sounded like it made more sense when erik talked to me about it on the phone lol we would only try it for about a week, see how it goes.

s0dr2 Date: Wednesday, 09/Dec/09, 6:19 PM | Message # 9

OGs
oh i see.........

and why do ppl wanna get rid of the knowledge section...because of christians?

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

Chinita Date: Wednesday, 09/Dec/09, 6:29 PM | Message # 10

Heads
noo this is not about removing the knowledge forum, its about creating a knowledge section like the rhhf artists, off topic, etc. lol here i added the message on erik's first thread up there..go back up and read it.

Create a Knowledge Section with forums such as religion (or lack thereof), religious debate, politics, philosophy, economics, etc.

how will this help?

-religious people could have an entire section to discuss their religious views without ridicule, eliminating the anti-religious bias inherent on the site, yet still go and discuss opposing views in the religious debate forum
-different threads that relate to certain topics will no longer be neglected

eboyd Date: Wednesday, 09/Dec/09, 6:35 PM | Message # 11

Heads
No, sodr, we're talking about making the Knowledge forum into a knowledge section so you can have subcategories of knowledge and that way religion can have a subcategory of it's own.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Boner-Jamz-11 Date: Wednesday, 09/Dec/09, 8:22 PM | Message # 12

Rappers
Leave the new message button and make a knowledge section

#TeamHipster
#SWAGSWAG

TUMBLR CLICK CLICK CLICK!
Chinita Date: Wednesday, 09/Dec/09, 8:44 PM | Message # 13

Heads
Quote (EYAR15)
Leave the new message button and make a knowledge section

that would be #3 did u vote? and why?

EmSeeD Date: Wednesday, 09/Dec/09, 9:20 PM | Message # 14

Heads
Quote (sodr2)
uhhhh why get rid of the new messages...thats all i ever use

me too, actually i think we should keep it

http://chirbit.com/emseed
http://youtube.com/siwooot
eboyd Date: Wednesday, 09/Dec/09, 10:00 PM | Message # 15

Watchers
Look, guys, important threads, like those in the OG's/Heads forum are getting neglected, the sticky threads mean absolutely nothing like this (including the donations thread and, although I may be confusing correlation with causation, possibly in direct effect I have received ZERO DONATIONS other than the expected donation from chinita. You guys can all kiss her ass for donating $50!!!!. If it wasn't for her you guys could kiss the new site goodbye!), people automatically make assumptions about us as a collective because of threads that constantly get bumped and they come to a hip hop site and are bombarded with non-hip hop threads turning them away instantly, the few hip hop threads we have get ignored because we attract people that care less about hip hop than they do about other music, off-topic bullshit, religion, etc., important site decisions don't get made because they get lost in the shuffle, because of all of the causes I mentioned above it turns away certain demographics such as those that don't share our religious, political and philosophical views, etc.

As someone who is learning about business (including marketing) at the college level with the intent to get a degree in entrepureneurship, I can assure you all that the "New Messages" option is bad for business and is limiting our growth as a group. Do you need me to back this up with statistics or have a laid it out clear enough for you to understand?

Forum » Off-Topic » RHHF Talk » Should We Restructure The Forum? If So, How?
Search: