Login:
Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
Forum moderator: TheWatcher, Menace, I_Guy, Aristotle  
Evidence For God?
eboyd Date: Wednesday, 23/Dec/09, 0:40 AM | Message # 181

Heads
Quote (sodr2)
i still dont get how you can believe we can prove a hidden omnipresent being through scientific means... i say its impossible

we don't. we just assume that he doesn't exist for the same reason Bertrand Russell assumed the teapot revolving around Mars doesn't exist and for the same reason you assume unicorns, big foot, Santa, and fairies don't exist -- because no one has seen them and there is no empirical proof of their existence except a few minor hoaxes.

to us, God is like Santa Claus for adults.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

s0dr2 Date: Wednesday, 23/Dec/09, 10:00 AM | Message # 182

OGs
Quote (eboyd)
we don't.

forgive me if i misunderstood, but whats this:
Quote (eboyd)
no, there may be a way to discover that a God exists through scientific evidence. i cannot think of a specific way considering i don't think it is very rational for someone to believe one exists and i don't think we will ever have any evidence because i do not think that one exists, but it could be possible through scientific methods. that is religious people who put God in a box and say science cannot reveal God, not atheists.

Quote (Menace)
That's why such an entity doesn't exist

im saying that if that entity did exist, it would be impossible of us trying to discover him,, he is the one that should come to us and reveal himself (if he did exist)...are you going to flat out dismiss anything that can't be proven scientifically? does love/beauty exist?

besides, even if i do make up something completely ridiculous, there is still the possibility of that thing existing, though the chances are really low

Quote (eboyd)
Bertrand Russell assumed the teapot revolving around Mars doesn't exist

the only way to discover that teapot is scientifically (it cant reveal itself since it is not alive).... we would have discovered it already

Quote (eboyd)
unicorns, big foot, Santa, and fairies don't exist

these things are tangible and exist on earth...we would have discovered them...you cant discover an intangible, being that is everywhere

Quote (I_Guy)
There is nothing that can justify why we should assume such a description. Nothing except superstition.

if its superstition, then why is it a natural tendency for us to believe in some god(s) existing? (unless our culture smothers this or you deliberately neglect it)...we are born to believe in superstition? its not a natural tendency for us to believe that walking under a ladder is bad luck, THIS is superstition, its a made up belief which cant be proven...the idea of a god(s) isnt made up

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

Message edited by sodr2 - Wednesday, 23/Dec/09, 10:12 AM
eboyd Date: Thursday, 24/Dec/09, 10:14 AM | Message # 183

Heads
Quote (sodr2)
are you going to flat out dismiss anything that can't be proven scientifically?

no, that isn't true. proof is a mathematical measurement. there is no such thing as scientific proof. will i dismiss anything that isn't supported scientifically by evidence? absolutely.

Quote (sodr2)
does love/beauty exist?

Quote (Joker13)
love doesn't exist love i remember my teacher explaining this in class but he said loving someone is just for yourself cause it makes you feel good

this is one possibility, however, emotions do exist and evidence of their existence can in fact be provided and if love really is an emotion, or a composite emotion, then it is a brain state or a combination of brain states that can be shown in a brain activity scan. in fact, TheWatcher (who is a Christian btw) posted something that i remembered hearing about in which doctors had discussed that love occurs in a person when certain things take place sparking a chemical reaction in the brain and one of the things that sparks love is sex. basically the article showed that it is not a real bond between two people, but rather just a chemical reaction within one person. with the love we have between family and us, there are different, non-sexual actions that spark a different but similar chemical reaction. i am not necessarily saying i believe this, but this is a theory that is being presented right now. i may have gotten it a bit wrong too because i haven't studied this, but that is what i've heard tossed around.

Quote (sodr2)
besides, even if i do make up something completely ridiculous, there is still the possibility of that thing existing, though the chances are really low

i would absolutely agree with you there, but why believe in something with such a low chance for it existing? would you believe me if i told you an invisible monster that you will never be able to sense was coming into my room at night? probably not, i would hope (even if everyone else in the world confirmed it and there was an ancient anthology of books written over a span of thousands of years about it by 40 different authors in multiple languages). if not, why would you believe in God under the same circumstances?

Quote (sodr2)
the only way to discover that teapot is scientifically (it cant reveal itself since it is not alive).... we would have discovered it already

yes, everyone says that. oh what a beautiful technicality.

Quote (sodr2)
these things are tangible and exist on earth...we would have discovered them...you cant discover an intangible, being that is everywhere

ok, then what about the invisible flying spaghetti monster (that is, btw, intangible)?

Quote (sodr2)
if its superstition, then why is it a natural tendency for us to believe in some god(s) existing?

where did you get this funky bit of information????? talk to a dog some time and ask it if it believes in God rofl in more seriousness though, ask a Buddhist if they've ever believed in God. belief in God is enculturated, not natural. it is a construct of human ingenuity. as soon as we had an acute awareness of the consequence of our existence we began exploring an answer to why we exist. what was natural, at that point, was to assume within our range of thinking, and due to a lack of knowledge and a need to feel like we knew, God was born.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

s0dr2 Date: Thursday, 24/Dec/09, 11:37 AM | Message # 184

OGs
Quote (eboyd)
belief in God is enculturated, not natural.

what do you think about this

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/faith/article6823229.ece

Added (24/Dec/09, 11:37 Am)
---------------------------------------------

Quote (eboyd)
ok, then what about the invisible flying spaghetti monster (that is, btw, intangible)?

that makes no effing sense...........what do u mean by spaghetti? if something is invisible, what is spaghetti describing? are you saying this being looks like spaghetti to certain animals? my brain :'( a god on the other hand would exist in dimensions not perceptible to 3-dimensional beings.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

Message edited by sodr2 - Thursday, 24/Dec/09, 11:39 AM
eboyd Date: Thursday, 24/Dec/09, 1:00 PM | Message # 185

Heads

that sort of goes along with what i said. the difference is that the person who wrote that article seems to misunderstand that it's not God or an idea of a creator that scientists believe may have come through the evolutionary process, it is curiosity and creativity which lead to us proposing God:

Quote (eboyd)
belief in God is enculturated, not natural. it is a construct of human ingenuity. as soon as we had an acute awareness of the consequence of our existence we began exploring an answer to why we exist. what was natural, at that point, was to assume within our range of thinking, and due to a lack of knowledge and a need to feel like we knew, God was born.

this article explains it better:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment....ncenews

also, here's a comment on your article:

"The "religious" tendencies they speak about include: fear of the unknown - including paranoia. Basically, our ancestors evolved to be afraid of anything they were unsure about; e.g. strange noises in the woods, the dark, what ever was causing the ground to tremble, etc. Fear - especially during our early evolution - served our survival. Superstition - including religion - is a by-product of that fear and paranoia. Just as our ancestors invented tools(weapons) to control what they feared in their environment, the fearful mind invented rituals and prayer in attempts to control the unknown; e.g. the "deities" making the ground rumble. These weapons acted as a comfort blanket - putting their mind at ease while living in a hostile environment."

Quote (sodr2)
that makes no effing sense...........what do u mean by spaghetti? if something is invisible, what is spaghetti describing? are you saying this being looks like spaghetti to certain animals? my brain :'( a god on the other hand would exist in dimensions not perceptible to 3-dimensional beings.

http://www.venganza.org/

it is just as plausible as God.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

I_Guy Date: Thursday, 24/Dec/09, 5:56 PM | Message # 186

Heads
Quote (sodr2)
if its superstition, then why is it a natural tendency for us to believe in some god(s) existing?

We are inclined to superstition because human beings are born irrational and naive. There is a lot of learning to do. Unfortunately, some of us fail to learn, and therefore remain irrational and naive.

We all know that each of our end is near; the question is do we accept the end of our living existence, or do we accept our existence as dead men...
eboyd Date: Thursday, 24/Dec/09, 7:59 PM | Message # 187

Heads
Quote (I_Guy)
We are inclined to superstition because human beings are born irrational and naive. There is a lot of learning to do. Unfortunately, some of us fail to learn, and therefore remain irrational and naive.

i disagree. i believe it is the fact that other life forms don't have a capacity for rationality or creativity (to our knowledge). it has also been shown that things like symbolism are solely possible by human beings (at least here on earth). non-human animals and other life forms cannot postulate metaphysical questions like "where did we come from?" hell, they may not even be able t question period. it is this very questioning power that leads humans to answers such as "God". while it may be irrational compared to the answers presented by other, more intelligent and rational humans, it is far more intelligent than any answer that any other animal or life form can give. for that reason, God was created because we evolved the ability to postulate such questions, but religion was created for the purpose of order and control.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

I_Guy Date: Thursday, 24/Dec/09, 8:20 PM | Message # 188

Heads
Quote (eboyd)
while it may be irrational compared to the answers presented by other, more intelligent and rational humans, it is far more intelligent than any answer that any other animal or life form can give.

Actually when you think about it, concluding that a god created the world is actually quite rational. So I adjust the meaning of my statement. We are (and were) rational only relative to the given information and data that we can make sense of. But from our state of rationality in the current, given what we know now, we are born irrational relative to the information available.

Quote (eboyd)
i believe it is the fact that other life forms don't have a capacity for rationality or creativity (to our knowledge). it has also been shown that things like symbolism are solely possible by human beings (at least here on earth).

We also have to admit that the closer we are to infancy the more irrational we are and the closer we are to the mental capacity of other non-human animals. So by that relation, we can be said to be born irrational due to our early age proximity to animals without the ability to be rational.

...maybe...

We all know that each of our end is near; the question is do we accept the end of our living existence, or do we accept our existence as dead men...
eboyd Date: Thursday, 24/Dec/09, 8:44 PM | Message # 189

Heads
i agree.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

s0dr2 Date: Friday, 25/Dec/09, 2:30 PM | Message # 190

OGs
would you guys buy a gun that's been used by a serial killer (assuming its clean, shiny, etc)?
Quote (eboyd)
non-human animals and other life forms cannot postulate metaphysical questions like "where did we come from?" hell, they may not even be able t question period.

Quote (eboyd)
God was created because we evolved the ability to postulate such questions, but religion was created for the purpose of order and control.

OR...maybe because God breathed something called a SOUL into us giving us that ability

youre saying religion wasnt created to answer such questions?

Quote (eboyd)
http://www.venganza.org/

it is just as plausible as God.

no it isnt....in that link, there is no mentioning of his invisibleness.... therefore he is detectable, and again if he is invisible, explain what the "spaghetti" describes...

Quote (eboyd)
also, here's a comment on your article:

God (of the bible) is not an arbitrary god, doing whatever he likes just because he feels like it (unlike many of the other gods out there)
"Be Holy, for I am Holy"

I_Guy Date: Friday, 25/Dec/09, 4:15 PM | Message # 191

Heads
Quote (sodr2)
OR...maybe because God breathed something called a SOUL into us giving us that ability

The notion of a soul has been crushed numerous times by philosophers. The soul is a contradictory concept all the way.

ALCATRAZ Date: Friday, 25/Dec/09, 10:58 PM | Message # 192

Writers
First time I really understood what 'god' meant, I was under the influence of Mushrooms lol. I don't doubt the notion that there is an energy, a force if you will, that governs us all. That is my very loose, very vague concept of god.

"I personally think OBCL2 is better than the original" - Lord Meth

I_Guy Date: Saturday, 26/Dec/09, 0:21 AM | Message # 193

Heads
Quote (ALCATRAZ)
First time I really understood what 'god' meant, I was under the influence of Mushrooms lol. I don't doubt the notion that there is an energy, a force if you will, that governs us all. That is my very loose, very vague concept of god.

Not too bad. Sort of Einstein’s view.

EmSeeD Date: Saturday, 26/Dec/09, 1:56 AM | Message # 194

Heads
Quote (eboyd)
then why does it insist on explaining things like "God created the earth in 6 days and slept on the 7th",

depends on how you interpret it

Quote (eboyd)
We are one month away from the reopening of the Large Hadron Collider at CERN, the world's largest particle accelerator particle which, in theory, will create a miniature black hole, reproducing the effects that created the big bang,

what happened to this?

Quote (Menace)
we fallen where ?? dude you know how morally wrong is this argument of yours ??

i thought there was no such thing as morals?

http://chirbit.com/emseed
http://youtube.com/siwooot
I_Guy Date: Saturday, 26/Dec/09, 3:05 AM | Message # 195

Heads
Quote (EmSeeD)
i thought there was no such thing as morals?

When speaking in the second order there are no morals. However in the first order morals do exist as an artificial structure. Menace is speaking in the first order.

Search: