[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]

Login:
Password:
New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS · Profile · Logout
Forum moderator: Menace, Aristotle, El_Matador  
Forum » Knowledge » History/Culture » Timothy McViegh's essays on America and the Murrah Bombings. (Smart, but fucked up guy....)
Timothy McViegh's essays on America and the Murrah Bombings.
ilikebacon3000 Date: Monday, 01/Feb/10, 4:01 AM | Message # 31

Emcees
Quote (J-Breakz)
hat fool just wanted to bomb some shit

Half true.
He was in the Army. If he wanted to just blow shit up, he would have never left the Army. He left on December 31st, 1992.
If he just wanted to blow shit up, I doubt he would put in this much thought into these essays.

And yet again, I am with Erik here. THE BOMBING WAS NOT JUSTIFIED. THE BOMBING WAS A HORRIBLE THING TO DO. But his critique of the United States government was quite accurate, if not spot on, in my opinion.

Life's a bitch and I'm just along for the ride.
J-Breakz Date: Monday, 01/Feb/10, 2:51 PM | Message # 32

Heads
Quote (ilikebacon3000)
Half true.
He was in the Army. If he wanted to just blow shit up, he would have never left the Army. He left on December 31st, 1992.
If he just wanted to blow shit up, I doubt he would put in this much thought into these essays.
"After returning from the Gulf War, he entered the selection program for United States Army Special Forces to become a SF soldier, but was quickly dropped from the program after failing to meet the physical fitness requirements. Shortly thereafter, McVeigh decided to leave the army. He was discharged on December 31, 1991."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timothy_McVeigh

McVeigh quit because he didn't get to join the Special Forces. He was just a mentally unstable person. Praising this person would the same as praising Seung-Hui Cho for the shooting at virginia tech.

Quote (ilikebacon3000)
But his critique of the United States government was quite accurate, if not spot on, in my opinion.

Okay, so? There's been plenty of other people that have said that same exact shit that he said, let's support those people who don't kill a bunch of innocent people.

livin life like some cheesy movie
J-Breakz Date: Monday, 01/Feb/10, 2:56 PM | Message # 33

Heads
Quote (eboyd)
none of us were supporting his actions.

The fact that you're paying attention to his essays means that you are supporting his actions. If you truly don't support his actions then don't bother reading the essays or talking about how he has good reasoning.

Quote (eboyd)
i highly doubt McVeigh and the Taliban just wanted to "blow some shit up".

I never mentioned the Taliban, nor would I put them in the same boat.

eboyd Date: Tuesday, 02/Feb/10, 4:33 AM | Message # 34

Heads
Quote (J-Breakz)
The fact that you're paying attention to his essays means that you are supporting his actions. If you truly don't support his actions then don't bother reading the essays or talking about how he has good reasoning.

this is exactly the problem right here. this is the reason America gets bombed in the first place. people automatically equate supporting a terrorist's critique of something as supporting their actions. this is completely and blatantly fallacious. what it does is helps us understand the minds of the frustrated and voiceless people that are mentally and/or ideologically unstable so that we can prevent such actions before they occur. you don't, for example, ignore the quiet kid who gets bullied everyday at school or else his bullying is going to continue and he's going to get angrier and angrier and if unchecked, a school shooting may be the result. in Chomsky's book 9-11 he put it best in my opinion:

"The second question is: "why?" This question is rarely raised in any serious way.
To refuse to face this question is to choose to increase significantly the probability of further crimes of this kind."

p. 27

though this is referring specifically to 9-11, it applies to all similar atrocities including the bombing of the Murrah Buildings.

if we understand McVeigh's reasoning and sympathize with his concern (without, of course, looking at his actions as "just"), we can begin to evaluate the events that lead to the atrocity and actively attempt to prevent further occurrences. the fact of the matter is that McVeigh's concerns were just and so we have provided a sick individual with a reason, regardless of how ill-informed and unrighteous, to commit an atrocity. it is quite probable that the bombing would have never happened had there not been such ample opportunity for an abuse of power, which McVeigh criticizes in detail.

Quote (J-Breakz)
I never mentioned the Taliban, nor would I put them in the same boat.

you're right. comparing a non-hierarchic, extremist, decentralized militia of Islamic fundamentalists to a non-hierarchic, extremist, decentralized militia of radical American conservatives is completely unfounded (i'm with you on our need for a :rolleyes: smiley).

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

"True poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

J-Breakz Date: Tuesday, 02/Feb/10, 1:17 PM | Message # 35

Heads
Quote (eboyd)
you don't, for example, ignore the quiet kid who gets bullied everyday at school or else his bullying is going to continue and he's going to get angrier and angrier and if unchecked, a school shooting may be the result.

No but listening to him after he's committed that school shooting is letting him know that if he wants change then all he has to do is shoot some kids. Instead we can encourage peaceful behavior by ignoring the reasons why McVeigh bombed a bunch of buildings and start paying attention to the reasons why Noam Chomsky is holding discussions about the evils of America and such or why Ghandi was going through hunger strikes. This will show people that if you want change, it's best to make peaceful attempts at it rather than violent ones.

Quote (eboyd)
you're right. comparing a non-hierarchic, extremist, decentralized militia of Islamic fundamentalists to a non-hierarchic, extremist, decentralized militia of radical American conservatives is completely unfounded (i'm with you on our need for a :rolleyes: smiley).

Mcveigh wasn't even directly effected by the evil actions of the government, the Taliban have been. That's the difference.

eboyd Date: Tuesday, 02/Feb/10, 7:19 PM | Message # 36

Heads
Quote (J-Breakz)
No but listening to him after he's committed that school shooting is letting him know that if he wants change then all he has to do is shoot some kids. Instead we can encourage peaceful behavior by ignoring the reasons why McVeigh bombed a bunch of buildings and start paying attention to the reasons why Noam Chomsky is holding discussions about the evils of America and such or why Ghandi was going through hunger strikes. This will show people that if you want change, it's best to make peaceful attempts at it rather than violent ones.

Finding out what the kid's motives were is a key to prevention for future occurrences, as well as psychoanalysis. It doesn't need to be publicly broadcast that we are listening to what he has to say. Rather proper care should simply be taken to find his motives. A great way to find these motives and do psychoanalysis without making actual contact with him is to read anything he has written. On top of that, the reader may learn something they did not previously know (of course after carefully checking the facts).

Quote (J-Breakz)
Mcveigh wasn't even directly effected by the evil actions of the government, the Taliban have been. That's the difference.

That's a false comparison. Timothy McVeigh can't be compared to the Taliban. His militia, however, while smaller in size, can. McVeigh can, however, be compared to Osama. Both have US military training and neither was directly affected by things the US did, though people they associated with through their terrorist organizations were.

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

J-Breakz Date: Tuesday, 02/Feb/10, 8:59 PM | Message # 37

Heads
Quote (eboyd)
Finding out what the kid's motives were is a key to prevention for future occurrences, as well as psychoanalysis. It doesn't need to be publicly broadcast that we are listening to what he has to say. Rather proper care should simply be taken to find his motives. A great way to find these motives and do psychoanalysis without making actual contact with him is to read anything he has written. On top of that, the reader may learn something they did not previously know (of course after carefully checking the facts).

Your showing the person though that if he wants change then he should be violent. I think people like mcveigh should be jailed for life, or executed or something.

And Osama is a fuckin nutcase, too. Are you saying we should be considering killing all the jews, eliminating music, eliminating technology, rejecting pre-marital sex, gambling, etc? Because wants to kill or control every civilian that is considered a heretic to him, American or not. That's what he believes as a Wanhabi

ilikebacon3000 Date: Tuesday, 02/Feb/10, 11:32 PM | Message # 38

Emcees
Quote (J-Breakz)
or executed or something.

He was executed.

Life's a bitch and I'm just along for the ride.
J-Breakz Date: Wednesday, 03/Feb/10, 0:03 AM | Message # 39

Heads
Quote (ilikebacon3000)
He was executed.

Yeah, I know. I'm saying people like him should be executed, if anyone tries to do anything like what he did.

ALCATRAZ Date: Wednesday, 03/Feb/10, 3:09 PM | Message # 40

Writers
Quote (eboyd)
What exactly do you mean by that statement?

What I mean is that he wasn't in his right mind when he committed that act.

"I personally think OBCL2 is better than the original" - Lord Meth

J-Breakz Date: Wednesday, 03/Feb/10, 6:36 PM | Message # 41

Heads
Quote (ALCATRAZ)

So his reasoning was just used as an excuse to attempt to justify the wrong that he committed, in your opinion?

ALCATRAZ Date: Thursday, 04/Feb/10, 3:11 AM | Message # 42

Writers
Quote (J-Breakz)
So his reasoning was just used as an excuse to attempt to justify the wrong that he committed, in your opinion?

In my opinion, his thoughts and actions were governed by outside forces that day.

"I personally think OBCL2 is better than the original" - Lord Meth

eboyd Date: Thursday, 04/Feb/10, 8:22 AM | Message # 43

Heads
Quote (J-Breakz)
Your showing the person though that if he wants change then he should be violent. I think people like mcveigh should be jailed for life, or executed or something.

And Osama is a fuckin nutcase, too. Are you saying we should be considering killing all the jews, eliminating music, eliminating technology, rejecting pre-marital sex, gambling, etc? Because wants to kill or control every civilian that is considered a heretic to him, American or not. That's what he believes as a Wanhabi

I personally don't believe in the death penalty. I believe it is a crude form of punishment. I think most nonviolent criminals (on the exception, for example, of people who commit fraud on a large scale) should be released from prison -- for example, a drug criminal or a prostitute -- because those "crimes" are simply crimes because of corrupt authority. That way, we can focus our efforts on criminals whose continued freedom would actually be harmful to society. Prison should then also be focused more on proper psychiatric care of an individual rather than punishment and condemnation, though it should be recognized that certain individuals, using the fraud criminal again as an example, are not going to change with psychiatric care, and so being locked away for a while and not allowed to take up specific work in society when they are released is the proper course for punishing such an individual. McVeigh would likely be treated in such a way, though he likely would never be released. Being that there is a risk of him being influential in further crimes, such a criminal should be denied contact with the outside world (except maybe legal representation, though I'm not exactly sure how that should work yet). It's as simple as that. We should still, however, study such an individual and try to understand the way his/her brain functions and understand why such a crime was committed. If it is found that these crimes can be tied to a specific injustice in society, that should also be evaluated.

Bringing up the fact that Osama wants to kill Jews and eliminate music is dumb though. That's like assuming that someone condones the murder of jews just because he read Mein Kampf and noticed that not every thought of Hitler's was horrific.

Quote (ALCATRAZ)

Ok, but you called him a scapegoat. Who/what was responsible if not McVeigh? Or did you mean that he used the FBI and others he disagreed with as a scapegoat for his terrible crimes?

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

J-Breakz Date: Thursday, 04/Feb/10, 1:26 PM | Message # 44

Heads
Quote (eboyd)
Bringing up the fact that Osama wants to kill Jews and eliminate music is dumb though. That's like assuming that someone condones the murder of jews just because he read Mein Kampf and noticed that not every thought of Hitler's was horrific.

Osama and the Taliban are anti-semitic. It's in their religion. You can wikipedia it. In all fairness, the govn't of Isreal (which I would think are made up of just jewish ppl since the national religion is Judaism) have done some pretty fucked up shit to Muslims. They'd go into a Muslim neighborhood, order all the people out of their houses because the govn't says there's a terrorist alert, destroy all the houses, then leave LOL if that isn't fucked up idk what is.

eboyd Date: Thursday, 04/Feb/10, 1:55 PM | Message # 45

Heads
Quote (J-Breakz)
Osama and the Taliban are anti-semitic. It's in their religion. You can wikipedia it. In all fairness, the govn't of Isreal (which I would think are made up of just jewish ppl since the national religion is Judaism) have done some pretty fucked up shit to Muslims. They'd go into a Muslim neighborhood, order all the people out of their houses because the govn't says there's a terrorist alert, destroy all the houses, then leave LOL if that isn't fucked up idk what is.

Ok.............. ? I know this. That's why I sympathize with the Palestinians. Islam isn't necessarily inherently anti-semitic, but it is true that many Muslims are. What's your point?

my new theme song

erikboyd60@hotmail.com

-T.S. Eliot

battle record:

7-0-0

Forum » Knowledge » History/Culture » Timothy McViegh's essays on America and the Murrah Bombings. (Smart, but fucked up guy....)
Search: